What kind of tech do you expect enabled in the car or interface?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I can switch between modes and dim and always have minimal interior ambient light when driving at night - agreed, so much better. Even more important on a boat!

With everything that people have listed here, there is no way this would be an affordable EV.
This answers the statement I made (in a different post) about this Scout not being what people who own Scouts now think, because the present drivers think they need everything at their fingertips.

Reactions: trev
At a base minimum, CarPlay support. Being on board with Next Gen CarPlay would put this car at the very top of my list.

• Love
Reactions: trev
Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
Provide an outlet for charging off an extension cord. I know it wouldn't move much power but it would be a backup to get a little power back into the battery without having to have a special plug or charging station.

I have several of those lights scattered around the front compartment of my '23 Tundra, I agree the design is such that you hardly notice them. But there is no way short of electrical tape to turn them off. There are times, limited but real, when I really need to sit in total darkness in a vehicle. It would only be shadows, but my movements would be illuminated. Maybe if SM embraced the 'red forward' concept they could be acceptable.
That’s why they make electrical and duct tape 😂

The technology I expect is this - actual switches and buttons for every function of the car that might be controlled whilst driving. These switches and buttons should as far as possible indicate state through there position so that the driver can know their state and operate them blindly, just by touch and feel. If it’s not possible to indicate state through position the physical tactile controls should indicate state visually. Preferably both.

The only controls accessed only through the main touchscreen should be
1) settings usually accessed when parked
2) switching between different data display screens
3) navigation
4) entertainment
5) Carplay/Android Auto

What ever you do, don’t follow Tesla and Rivian in adding stuff to the touchscreen that should be a physical switch or knob.

When Toyota unveiled the new Landcruiser they made this statement

“vehicle control is fundamental to building trust between driver and machine and we designed the cockpit controls to be easy to identify and operate by feel alone”

This is similar to the approach I was advocating above. I know the design team at Scout have all sorts of gloves to wear when testing controls. I’m thinking you should also have some blindfolds. Design isn’t just about how things look and work, it’s about how they feel and sound. Blindfolds might help designers to focus on the feedback the interface gives through feel and sound. It takes a multi-sensory experience to reinforces trust between driver and machine. The driver must be absolutely certain of the state of each control or trust is compromised.

To illustrate, I’m currently commuting in a small car with a 6 speed manual transmission. 5th and 6th gears in this car are very close together and I occasionally find myself wondering if I am in 5th or 6th. There is no visual indication on the display of what gear I’m in and because the gears are so close the difference in rpm at a given speed is a bit difficult to determine visually or audibly. I can put my hand down to the stick but because there is only a small throw between gears it is again difficult to tell. I find myself pressing down the clutch and shifting the stick to check where it was at. Even after driving 150,000 miles in this car i have a little trouble telling what state it is in! The result is that trust between driver and machine is a bit compromised.

When Toyota unveiled the new Landcruiser they made this statement

This is similar to the approach I was advocating above. I know the design team at Scout have all sorts of gloves to wear when testing controls. I’m thinking you should also have some blindfolds. Design isn’t just about how things look and work, it’s about how they feel and sound. Blindfolds might help designers to focus on the feedback the interface gives through feel and sound. It takes a multi-sensory experience to reinforces trust between driver and machine. The driver must be absolutely certain of the state of each control or trust is compromised.

To illustrate, I’m currently commuting in a small car with a 6 speed manual transmission. 5th and 6th gears in this car are very close together and I occasionally find myself wondering if I am in 5th or 6th. There is no visual indication on the display of what gear I’m in and because the gears are so close the difference in rpm at a given speed is a bit difficult to determine visually or audibly. I can put my hand down to the stick but because there is only a small throw between gears it is again difficult to tell. I find myself pressing down the clutch and shifting the stick to check where it was at. Even after driving 150,000 miles in this car i have a little trouble telling what state it is in! The result is that trust between driver and machine is a bit compromised.
EXACTLY, WHAT YOU SAID!!!! IN ADDITION, take a serious look at visibility for those switches. Down on the dash by my knees isn't a good place -- too far from the line of sight on the road and bifocals don't focus that far away -- plus it takes your body out of driving position. Similarly, not located behind (overly) wide steering wheel spokes. AND, don't rely on notes, bings, bongs, peeps, chirps, or other sounds; road (tire) noise and other environmental sounds drown out most of them anyway.

And while I'm on the subject of sounds, there needs to be a way to silence some warning sounds, the proximity warnings are nice when I'm in a parking lot, but I really don't need the constant bleeping when driving across a field of high grass/weeds; or if I air-down the tires to deal with sand, I want to turn off the TP warning light and beeper, I have other things that demand my concentration more.

I'm glad to read about the designers wearing gloves, they also need to wear ear blocks. It is well documented that the american population is suffering a lot of hearing loss, and the rate is accelerating. In short, getting 'hard of hearing' is no longer the domain of the aging and elderly and steel workers.

All of these things are non-issues in modern 4X4's that offer different drive modes. For example, if you go into Soft Sand Mode, you would expect to hear ZERO beeps from TPMS monitors, since the vehicle already knows that you are in a mode where that is not applicable. Up to the driver to enable the appropriate modality through the U/I, which then prompts the SW for the appropriate messaging (and could suppress non-relevant alerts). Another example would be rear cross-traffic alerts disabled when in tow-mode, or using a hitch mount accessory... Of course, with the caveat that they need to be implemented (or driven to users over time through an OTA).

All of these things are non-issues in modern 4X4's that offer different drive modes. For example, if you go into Soft Sand Mode, you would expect to hear ZERO beeps from TPMS monitors, since the vehicle already knows that you are in a mode where that is not applicable. Up to the driver to enable the appropriate modality through the U/I, which then prompts the SW for the appropriate messaging (and could suppress non-relevant alerts). Another example would be rear cross-traffic alerts disabled when in tow-mode, or using a hitch mount accessory... Of course, with the caveat that they need to be implemented (or driven to users over time through an OTA).
should be ≠ are \\ Much depends on designers/programmers' aptitude/eptitude.

I dunno if this qualifies as “tech”, I’d consider it more a user interface thing, but I highly value some easy way to adjust regen. Not 1 pedal, rather something like the paddles that Hyundai/Kia EVs have. With an ICE car when I’m going downhill for a long stretch I use the transmission rather than riding the brakes, adjusting it up or down to set a reasonable speed; with an EV I’d want to adjust regen for the same effect. I do not want to have to feather the gas pedal (personally I despise one pedal driving) or ride the brakes. The paddles work well but something like a gear shift could also work.

Related to that, I’d certainly hope for decent blended braking, so when I lightly tap brakes I’m not wasting precious inertia. Physical-only brakes would be a deal breaker for me.

I dunno if this qualifies as “tech”, I’d consider it more a user interface thing, but I highly value some easy way to adjust regen. Not 1 pedal, rather something like the paddles that Hyundai/Kia EVs have. With an ICE car when I’m going downhill for a long stretch I use the transmission rather than riding the brakes, adjusting it up or down to set a reasonable speed; with an EV I’d want to adjust regen for the same effect. I do not want to have to feather the gas pedal (personally I despise one pedal driving) or ride the brakes. The paddles work well but something like a gear shift could also work.

Related to that, I’d certainly hope for decent blended braking, so when I lightly tap brakes I’m not wasting precious inertia. Physical-only brakes would be a deal breaker for me.
Great suggestion! I wouldn't want "one pedal driving" level regen every time I lift my foot off the gas when driving on the road but I might if I was off-road. It would be a nice feature to have a choice of regen level when off the gas (accelerator I guess, not "gas"). Level 1-5 would be great but I'd also be happy with low, Med, High. Bury it in the screen menus somewhere because it won't be adjusted often by most, if ever.
I would also like the behind the steering wheel paddles (like shift paddles) that would be able to engage max regen. I have a plug in Cadillac with those and I LOVE them. I use them almost every time I need to slow the car. The only change I would make to the paddles is that they could bring the car to a full stop. In the Cadillac application, they will bring the car down to 2mph but the car will keep going at 2mph until I put my foot on the brake pedal.

Not sure if an AC converter was mentioned to run power tools? Also, the ability to easily clean it out with less little cracks and nooks for dirt and dust to collect in.

Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
I think an active band like jaguar used on their 2017 f-pace 20d would be beneficial for those who go hiking and overland then they don't have to worry about losing their keys or the fob getting wet or have the key fob be waterproof would be a good alternative.
I also am a fan of the fender storage boxes that the nissan titan had in the rear fender so chains or tools are always available and not rattling under the back seat. The cargo lights along the bed rails to light up the truck bed as well as the 3rd member light is always a great addition.

At a base minimum, CarPlay support. Being on board with Next Gen CarPlay would put this car at the very top of my list.
Next Gen CarPlay support would be awesome! Something like the Kia EV9 ultra wide display would be an excellent form factor, or the duel screen setup of the Ford Bronco Raptor. This would give tremendous opportunity to have a customizable mix of analog and digital information as preferred by the driver. I love a good sized touchscreen, but knobs and dials are very satisfying with their haptic feedback - see Rivian R2 steering wheel controls. A knob is a great way to quickly adjust settings like volume.

Reactions: Harris005 and Albal
With everything that people have listed here, there is no way this would be an affordable EV.
This answers the statement I made (in a different post) about this Scout not being what people who own Scouts now think, because the present drivers think they need everything at their fingertips.
I definitely think simplicity and a streamlined interface is key; timely information and control on a screen with multimodal knobs and buttons reduces the chance you obfuscate the system with too many buttons. This requires more interface design but reduces component cost and complexity.

I have a new suggestion.

Garmin app. So you can use a Garmin watch as the key.

This topic is exciting!

For my taste I prefer any and all screens placed in the driver area of the vehicle to have functional purpose. I find that screens can easily be a distraction in cars. Many manufactures are focusing on some sort of "screen war" to have the largest and most amount of screens packed into a car. Many of these items don't have any real purpose or function and only add cost and distraction to the end user.

Tech is best used to take away the need to focus on making an action and replacing it with an easy reaction. This frees up the driver to focus on where they're headed and who is around them.

As for the "nerd" in all of us. I find it super useful to get easy readouts in thins like tire pressure or battery usage.

Reactions: trev and J Alynn
This topic is exciting!

For my taste I prefer any and all screens placed in the driver area of the vehicle to have functional purpose. I find that screens can easily be a distraction in cars. Many manufactures are focusing on some sort of "screen war" to have the largest and most amount of screens packed into a car. Many of these items don't have any real purpose or function and only add cost and distraction to the end user.

Tech is best used to take away the need to focus on making an action and replacing it with an easy reaction. This frees up the driver to focus on where they're headed and who is around them.

As for the "nerd" in all of us. I find it super useful to get easy readouts in thins like tire pressure or battery usage.
I truly wish it could all go voice activated. Always had Acuras and liked it. I now have a Honda accord (hybrid) and I don’t even need to hit talk button to activate Siri. Just wish more/all changeable functions could be voice optioned because then you never have to take eyes off the road. I adjust music selections and volume, voice over text reads and writes and manage phone calls all while hands are still on the wheel. If only cruise control was voice activated.