What kind of tech do you expect enabled in the car or interface?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
These lists posted here are great. You guys rock!! 10" or larger screen with Fender audio. 180 cameras. Dash view of side view camera when blinker is used. Heated and A/C front and rear seats. Heated steering wheel. On the fly drive mode changes.

Reactions: J Alynn
10" or larger screen
I couldn't care less about the size of the screen as long as the UI is smooth and responsive. I've never seen a car with a fast and responsive interface, which is one of the most consistent and noticeable disappointments that happens before I even begin driving. Even smaller screens feel great if not set up as a stuttery, unresponsive mess.

Scrolling through a map shouldn't be any less smooth than on my phone.

Last edited:
Glad you mentioned OTA updates. Super important!
That's about the only thing in these lists I deem essential or expected, and only because the EV platform's essential maintenance will remain with the manufacturer. I have owned and driven Scouts for 58 years, in field, highway, and suburban settings. While I have experienced some of these features in my other vehicles, and since I'm now in my 80s a few of them are appreciated, I wouldn't want most of them on a Scout that will join my stable of Scouts. If SM is going to bring this vehicle to me at 1/2 a Rivian dollar, they can't afford all those luxuries. Open the window when you're too hot, use the heater when cold, wear clothes appropriate to the situation. Show kids they can learn about the country by looking out the window and seeing the richness of America's city- & land-scapes. Having 13 cameras on my pickup is neat, but only works well when the sun isn't on the 14" screen; I can still hop out and take a look at how close I am. If I'm still here to drive a SM Scout in '26 I'll be happy to hop out and check the clearances when I'm in a tight spot. The audio in my Tundra is like sitting on stage in symphony hall; but I want my SM Scout to take me where I hear birdsong, wind in the pines, rushing water, or friend's help hollered as I negotiate a tight spot. There are reasons why I hold on to and drive my Scouts 80 and 800 -- simplicity is high on the list.

Abundant Power Outlets please.
12 volt and 110 volt.

The 12volt should be capable of at least 10 amps and in accessible locations (eg not buried in a center armrest like a Tesla).

12V and 110v should be available in the rear and in the Frunk (I’m assuming there will be a Frunk).

“Camp mode”

I use camp mode in the Tesla model 3 and it’s quite nice. And it really does not drain the battery much.

“Night Mode”.. better yet .. let’s call it “Astronomy Mode”… and to appeal to the masses we could call it “Stealth Mode”…

I use my vehicles for “astronomy safaris” , driving to remote locations where the sky is extremely dark … sometimes for several days.. sometimes for just one night.

Our eyes get very dark adapted at such locations and we cannot tolerate any stray lighting.

Unfortunately nearly every vehicle manufactured today has so many lights it’s like a Xmas tree. Eg the Tesla has “puddle lights” on the bottom of the door which cannot be turned off — I have to put tape over them. I heard the Subaru Outback (which is an ideal astronomy vehicle given it’s on/off road capability) has parking lights that cannot be turned off.

Make it so all lights , instrument panel lights , puddle lights , cargo lights, parking lights , etc can be turned off 100%.

Unlocking/locking the vehicle and/or opening a door, hatch, or frunk should not result in any lights coming on.

Of course there are times where one wants such lights (like 95% of the time)… so make it easy to switch on/off “astronomy mode”.

Lighting control is probably our major headache when shopping for a car… (and we don’t want to resort ton”disconnecting the battery” or messing with fuses.)

I use my vehicles for “astronomy safaris” , driving to remote locations where the sky is extremely dark … sometimes for several days.. sometimes for just one night.

Our eyes get very dark adapted at such locations and we cannot tolerate any stray lighting.

Make it so all lights , instrument panel lights , puddle lights , cargo lights, parking lights , etc can be turned off 100%.
You're not the only one for this! It might not be too niche to add, especially given how many dark sky sites must be accessed through unpaved roads. Astrophotography in particular went mainstream when Google added it to their Pixel phones. Not to mention all the outdoor activities that aren't astronomy related and still require maintaining good night vision.

I have an astrophotography setup I take out to dark sky sites with a 3D printed tracking mount and repurposing a great guidescope as the primary imaging scope. Even though I don't technically need to maintain night vision because it is all shown on the laptop screen anyway, it's still better to be able to feel the full effect of the sky, and better for everyone who comes along as well.

original_7951a33e-9f8e-4f4a-8712-38b081fdc265_IMG_20211010_173034_472.jpgoriginal_1a1d026a-76d2-484a-9b3f-a6034ecc771e_IMG_20211010_172921_684.jpg

I love the ideas so far. I'd like to add:
4x4 data, angles of approach, trail camera, near obstacle warning.
Flat towing capabilities (neutral towing capacity)
Charging while flat towing -if you could manage this, every jeep and bronco you see being towed around would be replaced by a Scout.

Reactions: ddg520
Haging time spent with the Bronco I feel I can contribute to do.
-Trail app. Allow the option to film and record your adventures. Have a front mounted camera that also provide ls insight on articulation and angles. Also, this allows feedback on area trails and those nearby.
-I link the simplicity of the knows of the Bronco, the volume of the radio and temperature are the only knows, everything else is controlled through the touchscreen.
-A huge win for Ford is the PassApp. I love that I can do schedule starts or start my truck from my phone. Also keeps track of maintenance, oil life, recalls, etc.
-This may not be a popular opinion and perhaps it violates a safety issue bit I'd like to have a camera to monitor the rear seats for my child. I always have to purchase an aftermarket piece of crap and run wires.
-Many are buying aftermarket dash cams, when will manufactures install these from the factory?
-One miss on the Bronco is that AC is only available in the floors of the second row seats.
-AUX switches-No Brainer here
-Have the screen look like it was built in and not look like an added iPad that is mounted outside the dash.
-Someone mentioned that idea of the ability to do zoom, or Google meets. I think that's a great idea!
-Not a tech related item but worth it
A slide out tailgate!
-

Reactions: ddg520 and J Alynn
-Trail app. Allow the option to film and record your adventures. Have a front mounted camera that also provide ls insight on articulation and angles. Also, this allows feedback on area trails and those nearby.
-I link the simplicity of the knows of the Bronco, the volume of the radio and temperature are the only knows, everything else is controlled through the touchscreen.
-A huge win for Ford is the PassApp. I love that I can do schedule starts or start my truck from my phone. Also keeps track of maintenance, oil life, recalls, etc.
-This may not be a popular opinion and perhaps it violates a safety issue bit I'd like to have a camera to monitor the rear seats for my child. I always have to purchase an aftermarket piece of crap and run wires.
-Many are buying aftermarket dash cams, when will manufactures install these from the factory?
-One miss on the Bronco is that AC is only available in the floors of the second row seats.
-Have the screen look like it was built in and not look like an added iPad that is mounted outside the dash.
-Someone mentioned that idea of the ability to do zoom, or Google meets. I think that's a great idea!
A slide out tailgate!
-
@OleScout. Just a warning as my daughter’s Bronco has been here 7 months. The Ford app for remote start seems to be causing random alarm/horn beeping to occur. They’ve checked her’s twice and still have no fix. Hoping for an update eventually. Now my daughter can’t use the app which really sucks. Just beware. Maybe yours will be missing that gremlin 😀

A slide out tailgate!
-
Funny the dash cam came up again. Apparently installing one of those is something all the kids are wanting to install on their cars these days. A clean factory mounted one makes since.

Funny the dash cam came up again. Apparently installing one of those is something all the kids are wanting to install on their cars these days. A clean factory mounted one makes since.
I'd like to think I side on the side on minimalist but after after a new vehicle I feel I have ventured to the other side. A dash cam would have saved me a lot of headache back last fall when the driver in front of me had their left blinker. The passable right lane was large enough to drive a mack truck through it. I decided to overtake this vehicle and the driver confused left with right and turned right into me. I was determined at fault by their insurance and my insurance was ambivalent, despite her claiming she was turning left. Thankfully I was able to secure video evidence through a local retailer and they ruled in my favor but this process took several months.

Considering all the negative feedback on the parent company's infotainment overuse, a simple and functional UI is a must. Don't overdo it here. In a modern vehicle Navigation is needed, in an EV it's virtually required. Don't forget a knob and a button works just fine, not everything needs to be capacitive. Less is more off-road. Simple door cards and interior, don't need the rattles caused by too many plastic clips.

Built in trickle charger that only needs an extension cord plugged in. Hybrid heater system that has a rear vehicle camping mode. On board air capabilities for inflating tires etc, maybe a built in fluid pump that can be used for filling water containers or run a hose for washing off after leaving the dirt.

I love tech in cars, the more tech the better. As long as I'm getting rid of it every 4 years.

In this case it feels like tech should be used thoughtfully and judiciously. If it's possible it should be modular and easily upgradable to allow tech heads to keep these things on the road and current for decades to come.

I'd hate to buy a $65,000 zune

Considering all the negative feedback on the parent company's infotainment overuse, a simple and functional UI is a must. Don't overdo it here. In a modern vehicle Navigation is needed, in an EV it's virtually required. Don't forget a knob and a button works just fine, not everything needs to be capacitive. Less is more off-road. Simple door cards and interior, don't need the rattles caused by too many plastic clips.

Built in trickle charger that only needs an extension cord plugged in. Hybrid heater system that has a rear vehicle camping mode. On board air capabilities for inflating tires etc, maybe a built in fluid pump that can be used for filling water containers or run a hose for washing off after leaving the dirt.
The rear heat camping feature is a great idea. Should definitely be from above so air mattress, etc. doesn’t block it. Even as a thermostatic feature so it run just enough to maintain set ambient temperature.
Adding to that-if rear of new Scout is a tailgate and lift half-hatch could a designed mini ‘tent’ to offered to bag the end of the vehicle. Not the giant tent extensions others offer but something that would extend a foot or two past rear of tailgate to allow extended sleep space (calves/feet on top of tailgate portion). Maybe some built in cleats or hooks of some kind to connect it. And make sure when it’s broken down for storage it has its own storage recess somewhere no the vehicle. Just a thought

I guess expected features are somewhat related to the target market. A mall crawler SUV probably should have a decent set of creature comforts and bling. An off road vehicle is more judged on ability than bling.

So I am not interested in another SUV - but something more off road - so my initial list is pretty small. Speedometer, fuel gauge, cruise control, a/c, stereo with wireless android and carplay would be nice. Now sure, I would enjoy a few other features... I used to enjoy truck camping every few weeks (my truck had a cap). To that extent, I enjoy my LJ - remove the rear seats, fold the front seats forward and there is room to sleep in it. Add camping mode and that would be nice. Flat tow would be nice - I really appreciate that with my LJ. Strong mounting points for a roof top platform would be nice. Other than being electric, I am describing my LJ though (abet it took some modifications to get it to that point, and I still don't have overnight AC, but working on it...

After that, I am just as guilty as the next person who wants to make a laundry list of things. NACS charging port, bidirectional charging, regenerative braking while being flat towed maybe. I am sure I would not mind driving assist features - but I don't think they should bump up the price of the base model. Make the mall crawlers pay extra for that ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
This is a rugged off-road vehicle, that has a strong possibility of being a convertible. I don't want all of the latest/greatest tech -- that's why I upgrade my cell phone regularly. A basic thin head unit/video screen with Apple CarPlay, ample aplification and marine grade speakers. A driver's cockpit display with relevant battery data, compass, incline, latitude/longitude. Buttons/knobs for HVAC. Manual windows. Keyless entry. Tilt wheel. Emergency braking. Cup holders. Locking storage. Ample charging ports.

NO HUD (my Q7's is invisible with polarized sunglasses, which I hope to wear a LOT with the top off), NO LED ambient lighting, NO heated steering wheels or heated/ventilated power seats. NO autonomous driving. NO lane assistance. NO adaptive cruise control. NO heated whatevers -- its overkill and will only limit range. You don't need remote start in an EV. NO fake engine noises!!! It's an EV. If you want the sound of a V8, get a a Scout II. My '77 with a 345 sounds great with a Magnaflow exhaust.

There's a reason I took the top off the Scout II, put in a six point roll cage and removed the A/C. I actually get to hear the engine. I know how hot or cold it is outside -- why do I need a thermometer??? I mount my iPhone on the roll cage along with a waterproof JBL Bluetooth speaker that can also handle phone calls. It's about the experience of enjoying the vehicle and the environment I'm in -- not being entertained by consumer electronics. Please focus on creating a great DRIVING experience.