What do you love or hate about other off-road vehicles

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
One item I left out of my original list was colored brake calipers. I love how Rivian offers them stock in yellow. At least I am assuming they're stock as I've never seen a Rivian without them. I also noticed that the "Rivian" badge (the word not the logo) has a really neat yellow shadow to it. I had never noticed until yesterday but it looked really slick.

One item I left out of my original list was colored brake calipers. I love how Rivian offers them stock in yellow. At least I am assuming they're stock as I've never seen a Rivian without them. I also noticed that the "Rivian" badge (the word not the logo) has a really neat yellow shadow to it. I had never noticed until yesterday but it looked really slick.
Rivian now uses the yellow accents to signify the Quad-Motor version, while the forthcoming Dual-Motor versions will get silver/black accents.
Scroll down to Appearance

Reactions: J Alynn
Likes - My wife has a JLURD, there is little I don't like about it other than the flimsy hard top. To be honest, it even gets reasonably good diesel mileage. We have taken vacations to both coasts with it - it has been great for family road trips. The JLURD is our second JLUR. The first one was nice - but had 2 additional dislikes - it did not have proximity entry and the LED headlights had so much spill we got high beamed by oncoming traffic 100's if not 1000's of times. Second JL apparently has better lights. It also has adaptive cruise control - nice on trips. Honestly, I dislike that Jeep never gave it a chance - they never stocked them on lots and only had orders open for brief periods over 2 years before cancelling them due to "lack of sale"

Likes - I have a LJ. I have upgraded the flimsy hard top so I could install a roof platform. I like that I can remove the rear seat and put a sleeping platform in it (why I did not get a second 4 door unlimited). I like that it can be flat towed. I like that it has better suspension, onboard air, better lockers, dual rate sway bar, and honestly is better offload all around than the JLURD. I don't like it's cab noise (working on it-upgrading the hard top helped a lot) or reliability (been chasing engine codes for over 2 years so far. Ok, I dislike the fact my 17 year old LJ probably has cost as much as the JLURD after all those upgrades. I also dislike that while it does great offroad - 80mph on the highway is pushing it - it really lacks hp. That said, it does it fine if it is firing on all 6 cylinders (see chasing engine codes)...

Dislikes - buying fuel.

I am not going to blame an offroad vehicle for not riding like a car. Unlimited Jeeps handle highways perfectly fine. Sure, if I am doing a road trip myself - I would probably just drive my TDI Golf - but the JLURD does just fine itself. My kids hate the TDI Golf - not enough AC gets to the back seats.

We have owned scouts with cut-up fenders and 37's, restored ones with 35's, and my dad currently has a two-door bronco sasquatch with 35's.
- Large tires, I think 33's need to be standard with an option for 35's. I do not care about the decrease in range.
- The new bronco has the carpet delete option. This is awesome as I can get muddy all day and not worry about the floor.
- The new bronco also has the vinyl seat option, with the drain plugs in the floor. Ideal for washing it out after a long day.
- I like how jeep and bronco have kept the circular headlights, just like the originals
- Bead lock capable wheels on the ford raptors
- Locking differentials
- Short wheelbase, the 2-door bronco is just over 100", which is what the original scouts were
- Highly capable shocks, like Fox with remote reservoirs
- Front-facing camera
- Skid plates
- Extra storage, like the cubby beneath the bed in the Rivian R1T. Or the Rambox in the bed of the ram. Storage beneath the back seats would be awesome too, especially if it was lockable.

Dislikes:
- Seating position in the jeep is too close to the windshield
- Bronco interior grab bars are placed awkwardly
- Bronco soft top does not have perfect fitment and is a little noisy for a modern vehicle
- No heated seat options for the rear passengers, who get just as cold with the top down
- Ford Bronco "bed" behind seat is not rugged enough. I treat the back of scouts like a truck bed. I want to haul tools, animals, etc. back there without issues. Being able to fold the back seat forward and tuck behind the front seats to form a solid `3.5' bed would be awesome, I used it so much on my 79 that the back seat was practically never down.

Edit: In addition to the dislikes, I talked with my dad this weekend about his Bronco. He loves the 35" tires, but they are "rock-flingers" as he called them. Which would not be a problem, but Ford must not have thought about this when offering the option to upgrade to the larger tires because they are shooting up and chipping the paint on his door. He said some mud flaps, or slightly larger fenders would be a huge help with the larger tires. When I order my scout, I will get the biggest tires possible, just want to make sure this does not cause my brand new paint to be chipped.

Last edited:
So saw the 2024 Bronco Raptor. Color is pretty cool. Graphics are NOT my thing nor the orange rims but to each his own.
That said two things I really really like. Similar to Porsche I like the idea of one or two accent seatbelt straps. Maybe one in similar dull orange that matches the Scout logo color and maybe another color. Might be a cool “make it my own” feature. Especially with vintage look plaid seats.
Secondly, and I’m pretty sure it’s just the lighting (99%) but i love how just the top panel looks like a pale silver/gray. Generally I’m iffy about a white roof with so much black plastic but in the video and with the green color I really like how it looks as a silver gray top. Maybe something to consider as a color.
I also like the painted silver accents on this Bronco. Maybe a darker gun metal gray could satisfy my want for a chrome package if done really well. Too much silver painted chrome doesn’t look great but if balanced I think it could make for a great look

Reactions: BinderGal
Ok Scouts,

Our designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

What do you like or dislike about other off-road vehicles?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
For off road, just lift it and put bigger tires on it. Everyone does it anyway, might as well have it right from the start.

So saw the 2024 Bronco Raptor. Color is pretty cool. Graphics are NOT my thing nor the orange rims but to each his own.
That said two things I really really like. Similar to Porsche I like the idea of one or two accent seatbelt straps. Maybe one in similar dull orange that matches the Scout logo color and maybe another color. Might be a cool “make it my own” feature. Especially with vintage look plaid seats.
Secondly, and I’m pretty sure it’s just the lighting (99%) but i love how just the top panel looks like a pale silver/gray. Generally I’m iffy about a white roof with so much black plastic but in the video and with the green color I really like how it looks as a silver gray top. Maybe something to consider as a color.
I also like the painted silver accents on this Bronco. Maybe a darker gun metal gray could satisfy my want for a chrome package if done really well. Too much silver painted chrome doesn’t look great but if balanced I think it could make for a great look

Color (y)
Front bumper options (y)
Seatbelt accents (y)
Massive fender flares (n) - personally never been a fan. I do like how the Bronco has set it up so fenders are easily changeable for the consumers wants.

We have owned scouts with cut-up fenders and 37's, restored ones with 35's, and my dad currently has a two-door bronco sasquatch with 35's.
- Large tires, I think 33's need to be standard with an option for 35's. I do not care about the decrease in range.
- The new bronco has the carpet delete option. This is awesome as I can get muddy all day and not worry about the floor.
- The new bronco also has the vinyl seat option, with the drain plugs in the floor. Ideal for washing it out after a long day.
- I like how jeep and bronco have kept the circular headlights, just like the originals
- Bead lock capable wheels on the ford raptors
- Locking differentials
- Short wheelbase, the 2-door bronco is just over 100", which is what the original scouts were
- Highly capable shocks, like Fox with remote reservoirs
- Front-facing camera
- Skid plates
- Extra storage, like the cubby beneath the bed in the Rivian R1T. Or the Rambox in the bed of the ram. Storage beneath the back seats would be awesome too, especially if it was lockable.

Dislikes:
- Seating position in the jeep is too close to the windshield
- Bronco interior grab bars are placed awkwardly
- Bronco soft top does not have perfect fitment and is a little noisy for a modern vehicle
- No heated seat options for the rear passengers, who get just as cold with the top down
- Ford Bronco "bed" behind seat is not rugged enough. I treat the back of scouts like a truck bed. I want to haul tools, animals, etc. back there without issues. Being able to fold the back seat forward and tuck behind the front seats to form a solid `3.5' bed would be awesome, I used it so much on my 79 that the back seat was practically never down.

Edit: In addition to the dislikes, I talked with my dad this weekend about his Bronco. He loves the 35" tires, but they are "rock-flingers" as he called them. Which would not be a problem, but Ford must not have thought about this when offering the option to upgrade to the larger tires because they are shooting up and chipping the paint on his door. He said some mud flaps, or slightly larger fenders would be a huge help with the larger tires. When I order my scout, I will get the biggest tires possible, just want to make sure this does not cause my brand new paint to be chipped.
I wanted to add onto my initial list with some Rivian items I think are super cool.
- Hidden items (portable speaker, flashlight)
- Air compressor in bed that displays PSI (SO cool)
- Storage solutions (gear tunnel, frunk)
- Tank turn (has not come out yet, but SM could beat them to the punch!)

Not to mention the non-off-road items which are super cool:
- The keys (fob, key card, app, bracelet)

Back to the original question. I'm thinking about my '65 and '66 Scouts 80/800 vs. my Toyota products.

First, the Scouts had all the well documented "built-in" rust generators: door drains that didn't drain, salt and dirt collector spaces around gas tanks, water drains directed at doubled sheetmetal without drains (kick panels), etc., etc. The designers need to bring in a third-party reviewer to find all the places where dirt(aka salt) can gather.

On the positive side, those old Scouts were pretty rodent proof. The air intakes had screens. The oil bath air filter wasn't a cozy seed storage silo. Yes, there were enticing holes in the bottom of the seats, but they were easy to limit with a scrap of hardware cloth and a stapler. Today's vehicles have tasty soy based wire insulation, cozy warm covers over the fuse panels, tasty blown-on firewall insulation, and the mechanics who tear out dashes to get rodent nests out of the heat ducts and cabin air filters tell me that there are so many access points that they couldn't possibly screen them all. Some of us are privileged to live with these critters, we just prefer to not provide housing and food when we park our vehicles. It's fine when the field mouse shucks his acorns and hazelnuts in my garage, but it's not fine for him to get the soy sauce from my vehicle's wires.

Please, Scout Motors, ask in other regions what other wildlife invaders are troublesome there, then add preventative planning to your design.

Rodent intrusion is a very real issue. We deal with it constantly in the tractor and construction equipment world. I hope that SM is listening!!!!

*Most importantly, see the following:
- Vibration, dust, and water intrusion rated components. Test everything for taking abuse. Electronics fail when off road. When the whole vehicle is electronic, you get stranded.
Modern cars can have 1000 computer chips, I'm sure modern EV's have more.
Can the EV motors cross a stream? What happens to the internal components if they get dirty or water in them?
Rivian has a wading depth of 42.7 inches
- ABS systems can’t handle loose surfaces and will bury you in snow or sand. Will the NTHSB let you have a sand/snow driving mode without ABS?
Yes
- Readily available parts for repairs are a must. We break things and can’t have anything that isn’t repairable. I know EVs have parts that are not easily serviced (E.G. high voltage), but everything
Parts are always harder to come by and more expensive with EV's it seems. Probably less of an issue with VW backing and a later launch than initial EV trucks