Scout Motors - who are your competitors?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
This one took me by surprise; it feels like Toyota ripped off some of the new Scout appeal and pricepoint. Is it just me, or does the profile look almost exactly like the Scout renderings? And a “1958” model - are they trying to say they were first to suv? That’s bs and we know it. My fear is they beat Scout to the punch, although it’s not 100% ev, and no removable top. More pressure to differentiate the Scout, but I have faith!!
Did everyone notice that the new Land Cruiser has a choice of round or rectangular headlights? That’s a good sign in a way that a manufacturer can give us choices….like the interchangeable “grill” many of us are hoping for.

Reactions: J Alynn
This one took me by surprise; it feels like Toyota ripped off some of the new Scout appeal and pricepoint. Is it just me, or does the profile look almost exactly like the Scout renderings? And a “1958” model - are they trying to say they were first to suv? That’s bs and we know it. My fear is they beat Scout to the punch, although it’s not 100% ev, and no removable top. More pressure to differentiate the Scout, but I have faith!!

There will be room in this segment for multiple competitors and the Land Cruiser was always rumored to be coming back. I think our design will be distinctive and uniquely Scout. (y)

Reactions: NewEnglandDannyD
Did everyone notice that the new Land Cruiser has a choice of round or rectangular headlights? That’s a good sign in a way that a manufacturer can give us choices….like the interchangeable “grill” many of us are hoping for.
Also that the throwback trim avoided having a bunch of unneeded frills.

I want a level that looks like it has nothing on paper but doesn't cut corners where it matters. The type of trim that comes with small plain steel wheels and high profile, not super wide A/T tires that you'd see on an old overland Defender driven by a trail-grizzled 80 year old granny through Oregon.

I noticed. Didn’t love there’s-actually liked the rectangular a bit more but was cool. Wondering if they are on the forum learning what we all want 😀

Had not paid attention to the Land Cruiser Prado before. I think they got the look pretty well. Much smaller rear pillar, somewhat less rear glass angle. They are also targeting a more offroad, less luxury design (which is more in line of the rest of the worlds Land Cruisers than the US versions). They are not going at the price point I am hoping Scout is still trying for, and it is only a hybrid (and not seeing much details on what type of hybrid that is either). I am kind of assuming it will be a mild hybrid - with an oversized starter motor and a small battery to help with 0-10mph... Looks it might be a competitor, but other than that it is less than impressive. Kind of in the realm of "if I have to get a new vehicle, I might consider it". Which is not saying nothing, it has been a long time since something has even gotten on that list. The last new vehicle I actually wanted was my Golf TDI. The Wrangler managed to get on the second list, and we ended up needing a new vehicle at that time.

Had not paid attention to the Land Cruiser Prado before. I think they got the look pretty well. Much smaller rear pillar, somewhat less rear glass angle. They are also targeting a more offroad, less luxury design (which is more in line of the rest of the worlds Land Cruisers than the US versions). They are not going at the price point I am hoping Scout is still trying for, and it is only a hybrid (and not seeing much details on what type of hybrid that is either). I am kind of assuming it will be a mild hybrid - with an oversized starter motor and a small battery to help with 0-10mph... Looks it might be a competitor, but other than that it is less than impressive. Kind of in the realm of "if I have to get a new vehicle, I might consider it". Which is not saying nothing, it has been a long time since something has even gotten on that list. The last new vehicle I actually wanted was my Golf TDI. The Wrangler managed to get on the second list, and we ended up needing a new vehicle at that time.
I know the previous Prado is the same basic vehicle as the outgoing Lexus GX. But, I got the change to drive a 2017 Toyota Prado diesel all over New Zealand’s north island. It was a really nice, yet rugged vehicle. Cloth seats, no sunroof, decent stereo. It easily fit 4 adults comfortably with all of our luggage for a 12 day trip on all sorts of terrain. My point is I think the new Land Cruiser should 100 % be on Scout’s benchmark radar. I know the Scout is EV and the LC is hybrid. But as for purpose, build quality, target market demographics, retro details, size, capabilities, etc the LC is a serious competitor for Scout.

I know the previous Prado is the same basic vehicle as the outgoing Lexus GX. But, I got the change to drive a 2017 Toyota Prado diesel all over New Zealand’s north island. It was a really nice, yet rugged vehicle. Cloth seats, no sunroof, decent stereo. It easily fit 4 adults comfortably with all of our luggage for a 12 day trip on all sorts of terrain. My point is I think the new Land Cruiser should 100 % be on Scout’s benchmark radar. I know the Scout is EV and the LC is hybrid. But as for purpose, build quality, target market demographics, retro details, size, capabilities, etc the LC is a serious competitor for Scout.
Couldn’t agree more. I think it’s a decent effort. I think they pushed the heritage as less of a focus so it’s a bit benign in my opinion. I think Scout needs to push Heritage harder. I say this because given the choice of a mediocre Scout vs the Toyota I’d take the Toyota. I’ve owned Toyotas as have my in-laws and quality is always great. A hybrid is solid with Toyota and again, if both vehicles are similar I’d lean toward the Toyota as a known commodity. Scout really needs to focus on the heritage angle IMO to set itself apart as a retro/lifestyle vehicle with the bonus of EV.

Does anyone understand the Land Cruiser's "hybrid tech"? Do their EV components somehow boost the ICE or is it just like any other hybrid where it kicks in while you're going to the grocery store? I ask because I'm shocked it's coming with a 4-banger. I assume with 27 miles/gallon this vehicle will operate like any other hybrid.
I will give them kudos for the retro look. I think it looks sharp.

Does anyone understand the Land Cruiser's "hybrid tech"? Do their EV components somehow boost the ICE

It's a mild hybrid where the electric motor is tucked in between the ICE and a conventional auto transmission, so basically yes. Electric bits lighten the load on the gas bits when needed, and the gas bits don't stop running.

Last edited:
The video is cool. Just watched it. Probably should post my next comment under features but it appeared in the video that the remote start operated the windshield wipers. That would be a nice feature to have as a turn on/off as part of your remote start settings. Winter day covered in snow would be nice if temps were below a certain temp and the auto wipers detected snow cover if heat came on full blast as defrost mode and wipers came on intermittently as windshield warms up to clear off snow. Nothing like leaving the office at 5 to find 2-3” of snow on your car/truck. Just some thoughts

I like the new LC, but I don’t love it. If the roof came off, I’d be interested. The Toyota quality is a strong selling point and if my choice was this LC and a Scout with a fixed roof, I’d probably take the Toyota for the known quality record…So the Scout better have a removable roof!

Well, unless it is an EV, I would (again) not consider it to be in the same category. Will it compete and sway some potential Scout buyers? Sure (especially if those buyers have no sense for the Scout heritage or any historic loyalty to the brand). In reality, the Scout loyalists will be a small, but important segment of the potential buying base.

The thing to note about the LC is that it is a Toyota. The company is so far behind based on Toyoda being in the Japanese oil lobby's pockets, which is of course surprising based on the early Hybrid work with the Prius. The LC will also be built in the Hino and Tahara plants. overseas in Japan. Yes, it is a boxy vehicle. It does have 4WD. They are positioning heritage. Looks like they might be going for more simplicity.

But, Scout will be a PURE EV, built in the USA, and will gain other advantages with storage, low center of gravity, super low maintenance, etc. I love the resurgence of American manufacturing for EV's. I personally view what Rivian, Scout and others are doing as a big differentiator and another reason to buy (as part of this shift to electrification).

I have owned Toyota trucks (from the model called the "SR5 truck" with lockable hubs, to Tacomas, a couple of Tundras and a 4Runner. They were all fairly reliable, but when they needed service at Toyota, I would dread it. Maybe that has gotten better.

Reactions: LastDayScout
soft top vs removable hard top vs permanent hard top is a mix of compromises. A lot of people like the ease of the soft top, definitely the easiest to go topless. A removable hard top gives the option of going topless, but some of the insulation and sound proofing of a permanent hard top. That said, an insulated permanent hard top with a roof liner is quieter and cooler. If designed right, it is also stronger than most removable tops. Sure you can make a removable hard top as strong - I own one. But they cost and are heavy. But it did drastically improve my Jeep LJ experience.

There are legitimate reasons why some off road vehicles don't have removable hard tops. Don't see the classic safari vehicles with removable tops...

Last edited:
soft top vs removable hard top vs permanent hard top is a mix of compromises. A lot of people like the ease of the soft top, definitely the easiest to go topless. A removable hard top gives the option of going topless, but some of the insulation and sound proofing of a permanent hard top. That said, an insulated permanent hard top with a roof liner is quieter and cooler. If designed right, it is also stronger than most removable tops. Sure you can make a removable hard top as strong - I own one. But they cost and are heavy. But it did drastically improve my Jeep LJ experience.

There are legitimate reasons why some off road vehicles don't have removable hard tops. Don't see the classic safari vehicles with removable tops...
I’m sure you’re right about Jeep hard tops but the one my Scout has is the same steel as the rest of the truck and had a headliner and fiberglass trim panels. I think it would be just as quiet and cool as if it were permanently attached. That’s the kind of removable top I want (with marine grade interior and an optional soft top). Not saying the new Scout needs to be Steel (my top 10 requirements include rustproof and removable top). But the top can be the same material as the rest of the body.
Also, what classic safari vehicles are you talking about? To me the classic safari vehicle is a Land Rover Defender and the top definitely comes off.

Last edited:
I did not realize the FJ40 top was removable. That said, a few googles and I saw little positive about removing it. It can be taken apart in sections. That can help with the weight. The glass is heavy. I saw estimates of the total top weight between 200 and 300lbs - with 250 being the most common, and the one that sounded like the person actually weighed it being 280. Seemed like most posts suggested pulling it in one piece with a host.

The company that I got my LJ hard top from does not like to advertise weights. The bare top is probably around 175 (iirc when I did a lot of reasearch, I think it was only about 50lbs more than stock), it was heavy for my son and I to get on. But then I bolted down a 70 lb roof platfom with another 30lbs of stuff bolted to that. As such, right now I am looking at 300lbs as well. That all said, it can take a dynamic load of 600lbs - not sure what it can take static. iirc correctly - that is more than any external frame system I found. I do not recall what Jeep says the factory hard top can carry - but I think it is 100-150lbs (including the platform - which leaves very little actual capacity).

When focusing in on the added weight of these tops, it makes me think more about EV vehicles doing things to decrease the overall weight. I wonder if this is an opportunity to rethink the construction and materials of these roofs. What comes to mind is Yetti's and their answer to insulation.....air. Could you design a top with the lighter weight materials, but with the pocket of air sandwiched between an inner and outer layer to help increase the insulation value?

I recently saw that Toyota is apparently going to import its small truck....named "Stout".....While the Stout is not an EV at this point, I hope the name doesn't cause confusion in the marketplace.