Scout Motors - who are your competitors?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Just 1 man's perspective, but there are so many things wrong with these speculative articles about things that don't exist (as well as the concept of putting small, heavy battery packs on roofs of EV's).

Surely it will compete, but it is not a pure EV, it is a PHEV.
Measurements of off-road capable pure EV vs. pure EV will be a better comparison for many buyers.
Once Jeep, Bronco, etc. have pure EV's we will have apples to apples.

Yes, I guess I should have been clearer. I see the Jeep (probably Rubicon or similar Wrangler) being the competitor to Scout when it is a pure EV.

The Recon seems like a Jeep Patriot as an EV! But, I'm not a Jeep guy, just my impression. I could be wrong.

I think these are really Cute! (Said sarcastically). I think this is designed for urban buyers who what a “Jeep”. I think it will be cross shopped but this doesn’t say rugged and outdoor to me-and that’s OK too but this looks like a compromise vehicle to get urban dwellers to feel more outdoorsy and be environmental.
It’s just too bubbly and happy feeling and that is one more reason I hope Scout maintains heritage looks.
I like the color!

Last edited:
I think these are really Cute! (Said sarcastically). I think this is designed for urban buyers who what a “Jeep”. I think it will be cross shopped but this doesn’t say rugged and outdoor to me-and that’s OK too but this looks like a compromise vehicle to get urban dwellers to feel more outdoorsy and be environmental.
It’s just too bubbly and happy feeling and that is one more reason I hope Scout maintains heritage looks.
I like the color!
Today as the heat index in charleston is about 110 I have decided I don’t need a removable top. I like the Jeep Recon too and windows and the Fisker Ocean California mode windows. Yes, Scout should have a removable top. I just don’t require it.

A lot depends on where they decide to target the vehicle. I would love to see it target an electric Wrangler or Bronco. Right now it looks like just another SUV - so I would say the Recon and the R1S are it's competitors. Right now, they say they want retro looks, but then I read one of the officer's bios and he said they want to avoid retro looks. I guess fine, it will be just another SUV then. Who cares if Jeep hit the Unlimited Wrangler out of the park, and so did Ford with the Bronco. It looks like Scout would rather be just another SUV. Kind of like Jeep having to say that the Recon is inspired by it's flagship Wrangler when it looks more like an electric Renegade.

It is hard for me to place, so I expect it is just a combination of a bunch of small things. Maybe some windshield angle, definitely rear glass angle, maybe the huge blind spot caused by the oversized rear pillar, the arched roof, the fact that the body looks like it was stretched 4" taller to put the battery pack in. Maybe it is the shorter windows. In the end it does not look like it has much Scout heritage left, and it was designed by someone who wants a crossover. Sure a crossover is a more practical daily driver - and that is why they sell so much better than Wranglers and Broncos - NOT. Crossovers are practical, but not lifestyle vehicles. Even if most of them turn into grocery getters - they sell a lifestyle.

I really, really want this vehicle to knock it out of the park, but the more I look at it - it reminds me of what VW did to the Buzz. They started out with a beautiful concept, and turned it into another minivan - abet I don't know what the American version will be. The EU version is more of a micro-van. 5 years ago, I really wanted to upgrade our Sienna on one - but instead got a Wrangler Unlimited (as a second vehicle) as I figured it would be a few too many years to wait. Now I hardly care. It lost 90% of it's appeal to me with the final design changes. Sad thing is Scout lost most of it's appeal to me between the concept and the first drawings.

Perhaps Scout will figure it out and not make just another SUV, but I kind of bet that a Wrangler or Bronco will pull it off and Scout will be just another SUV. The current drawings simiple do not embrace the lifestyle choice of an off road vehicle.
---
I am sure plenty of people want a removable top. That too is a lifestyle choice. I personally would prefer a good fixed top. Something better than the Unlimited's plastic excuse for one. My lifestyle choice was a roof platform on my LJ. One of my biggest complaints on the JL is the thin roof that transfers heat better than a frying pan. At least they did not put a sun roof in it as well.

Reactions: J Alynn
A lot depends on where they decide to target the vehicle. I would love to see it target an electric Wrangler or Bronco. Right now it looks like just another SUV - so I would say the Recon and the R1S are it's competitors. Right now, they say they want retro looks, but then I read one of the officer's bios and he said they want to avoid retro looks. I guess fine, it will be just another SUV then. Who cares if Jeep hit the Unlimited Wrangler out of the park, and so did Ford with the Bronco. It looks like Scout would rather be just another SUV. Kind of like Jeep having to say that the Recon is inspired by it's flagship Wrangler when it looks more like an electric Renegade.

It is hard for me to place, so I expect it is just a combination of a bunch of small things. Maybe some windshield angle, definitely rear glass angle, maybe the huge blind spot caused by the oversized rear pillar, the arched roof, the fact that the body looks like it was stretched 4" taller to put the battery pack in. Maybe it is the shorter windows. In the end it does not look like it has much Scout heritage left, and it was designed by someone who wants a crossover. Sure a crossover is a more practical daily driver - and that is why they sell so much better than Wranglers and Broncos - NOT. Crossovers are practical, but not lifestyle vehicles. Even if most of them turn into grocery getters - they sell a lifestyle.

I really, really want this vehicle to knock it out of the park, but the more I look at it - it reminds me of what VW did to the Buzz. They started out with a beautiful concept, and turned it into another minivan - abet I don't know what the American version will be. The EU version is more of a micro-van. 5 years ago, I really wanted to upgrade our Sienna on one - but instead got a Wrangler Unlimited (as a second vehicle) as I figured it would be a few too many years to wait. Now I hardly care. It lost 90% of it's appeal to me with the final design changes. Sad thing is Scout lost most of it's appeal to me between the concept and the first drawings.

Perhaps Scout will figure it out and not make just another SUV, but I kind of bet that a Wrangler or Bronco will pull it off and Scout will be just another SUV. The current drawings simiple do not embrace the lifestyle choice of an off road vehicle.
---
I am sure plenty of people want a removable top. That too is a lifestyle choice. I personally would prefer a good fixed top. Something better than the Unlimited's plastic excuse for one. My lifestyle choice was a roof platform on my LJ. One of my biggest complaints on the JL is the thin roof that transfers heat better than a frying pan. At least they did not put a sun roof in it as well.
I think your points are quite valid and I share some of your concerns. The key point is NOBODY on this forum has listed a current SUV as a benchmark that isn’t a lifestyle vehicle. There are elements and features many of us mention but Bronco and Wrangler are always mentioned as is Rivian (while not retro it is a niche/lifestyle vehicle). If it doesn’t come off as heritage there will be no point in the vehicle as that is the primary opportunity followed by all EV.
The VW beetle was a great retro success. I still think the Ford thunderbird and Dodge viper were also successful as the were niche type vehicles who used heritage and retro styling very well.

I guessing it'll be a challenge to have a removable top in an EV, due to rollover safety and the extra weight of the batteries.

I guessing it'll be a challenge to have a removable top in an EV, due to rollover safety and the extra weight of the batteries.
But batteries are all on the bottom so the weight drops and should help improve the center of gravity concerns. Or am reading not thinking about it the right way?

But batteries are all on the bottom so the weight drops and should help improve the center of gravity concerns. Or am reading not thinking about it the right way?
I guess the idea there was that yes, the low and heavy batteries do make it incredibly unlikely to roll over. However, in some odd edge case where it does somehow roll over anyway, there would need to be a very sturdy rollbar engineered to prevent the occupants getting squished from all that extra battery weight.

Basically, if it does end up upside-down it'd be bad to have a soft top. Not that it is easier to end up upside-down.

I have no idea how reflective this is of the reality of engineering aside from knowing that EVs tend to be very stable because of the low batteries. I'm just guessing what @Albal meant from my reading of the comment.

Reactions: Albal
I guess some of it depends on how aggressive people use them off road. I think it should be as stable as anything else on the road, but roll overs offroad are all about the terrain and the driver. When my brother-in-law did Moab - I think virtually every vehicle in their group spent some time on it's side or worse. That said, while batteries are heavy, so are tanks of gass and all the other stuff in a vehicle. If there is the will, creating a roll cage should not be all that difficult.
---
In my perfect world - it would sell because it is a good vehicle on and off road (which I think the Wranger and Bronco manage), not because it is an electric vehicle might be able be able to do some trails.

Last edited:
You beat me to it. Was just ready to upload a similar article. Will be a viable competitor
This one took me by surprise; it feels like Toyota ripped off some of the new Scout appeal and pricepoint. Is it just me, or does the profile look almost exactly like the Scout renderings? And a “1958” model - are they trying to say they were first to suv? That’s bs and we know it. My fear is they beat Scout to the punch, although it’s not 100% ev, and no removable top. More pressure to differentiate the Scout, but I have faith!!

Reactions: J Alynn