Small Things Matter: Charger Port Lighting

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Steven Thibodeau

1st Year Member
Sep 10, 2023
South Orange, NJ
This may sound like a very small thing, but after buying a Jeep Rubicon PHEV I discovered that there was no light inside the charging port flap. One might think about how big a deal could this be? I can promise you that it became a significant pain when trying to plug in at night. The light over my garage is fine, but not nearly strong enough to light up my entire driveway. Over and over, I would find myself trying 3-5 times to get the plug into the port. And because I have a GRIZZL-E level 2 charger (with a long, very thick and very heavy cord) – it starts to feel even heavier after trying to plug in several times unsuccessfully. Eventually, I began carrying a tiny LED penlight which solved the problem, but certainly not ideal for my wife and two kids (who aren’t interested in carrying a pen light 24/7). Previously, I owned two BMW i3’s EV’s (2016 and 2019) – both of which were equipped with a small light at the charging port – which helped fare more than you can imagine. My PHEV jeep got stolen after 5 months, so now sitting on the sidelines waiting for the Scout to launch.

This may sound like a very small thing, but after buying a Jeep Rubicon PHEV I discovered that there was no light inside the charging port flap. One might think about how big a deal could this be? I can promise you that it became a significant pain when trying to plug in at night. The light over my garage is fine, but not nearly strong enough to light up my entire driveway. Over and over, I would find myself trying 3-5 times to get the plug into the port. And because I have a GRIZZL-E level 2 charger (with a long, very thick and very heavy cord) – it starts to feel even heavier after trying to plug in several times unsuccessfully. Eventually, I began carrying a tiny LED penlight which solved the problem, but certainly not ideal for my wife and two kids (who aren’t interested in carrying a pen light 24/7). Previously, I owned two BMW i3’s EV’s (2016 and 2019) – both of which were equipped with a small light at the charging port – which helped fare more than you can imagine. My PHEV jeep got stolen after 5 months, so now sitting on the sidelines waiting for the Scout to launch.
I vote for a perimeter LED ring inside so you can see it from either side be it left or right handed users (I’m a lefty)

Reactions: Steven Thibodeau
Agreed. I like the little light in my BMW iX. The Tesla M3s I had did not have lights. Big difference.

Reactions: Steven Thibodeau
Speaking of charging ports, the world of USB connectors is in transition and clearly headed to USB-C, yet the old faithful USB-A connector doesn't seem to be going away. It is on the other end of many charging and connecting wires. Some vehicles come with both, and my hunch is that may still be needed in 2026 when we see the first SM Scouts. It would also be great if at least one USB port would remain live when the Scout is OFF, so one cell phone or iPad could be charged overnight.

Speaking of charging ports, the world of USB connectors is in transition and clearly headed to USB-C, yet the old faithful USB-A connector doesn't seem to be going away. It is on the other end of many charging and connecting wires. Some vehicles come with both, and my hunch is that may still be needed in 2026 when we see the first SM Scouts. It would also be great if at least one USB port would remain live when the Scout is OFF, so one cell phone or iPad could be charged overnight.
Circling back to the interchangeable accessories idea from past post....I like the idea of the Scout owner installing what he/she would want to use. Ports in the dash can accept a snap in USB-C port or the old school one. I might add, make sure that the slower charging (1amp) is not even an option.

Also, something I miss from my old truck is charging ports inside the console. I like using these for things that I want to keep plugged in and can know when I need it they are fully charged and ready to use (portable battery chargers for example).

I second the swappable charging/connectivity plugs. Have it so the module can be (relatively) easily removed and swapped. Also have one stay on with "key off" or have like some Chryslers where a fuse can be moved to change between battery and switched power.

Don't forget some lighting around these ports as well as at the charge door.

Jason

that's so annoying! It sounds like a minor detail but it can definitely make a big difference, especially at night. Who wants to fumble around with a charger in the dark? That's a great point about the BMWs having a light - that seems really helpful.

Carrying around a penlight isn't exactly ideal. In the meantime, maybe you could stick on a little stick-on light near the charging port? That might be a quick fix until you get your new Scout. Although, a Zendure charger with a built-in light would be pretty cool too, I found a Zendure voucher code for them if you're interested.

Reactions: brazilusa
When you leave the truck (at least in my R1T) you can also elect to have the light stay on or have it turn off with locking... When you open the door the light automatically illuminates
Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 10.12.21 AM.png

Reactions: J Alynn
When you leave the truck (at least in my R1T) you can also elect to have the light stay on or have it turn off with locking... When you open the door the light automatically illuminates
View attachment 2486
Great feedback, being a current EV owner you can provide first hand feedback on shortcomings Rivian may have which hopefully future models will consider. As the post mentions, the small detail can sometimes be critical as it may take away from the enjoyment of a drive. Owning a new Bronco, I absolutely love it, but have some marginal grumblings that include no rear seat cooling, colors are not available for each trim throughout the lineup, and lack of cupholders.

Speaking of cup holders, SM consider accommodating tumblers!

Great feedback, being a current EV owner you can provide first hand feedback on shortcomings Rivian may have which hopefully future models will consider. As the post mentions, the small detail can sometimes be critical as it may take away from the enjoyment of a drive. Owning a new Bronco, I absolutely love it, but have some marginal grumblings that include no rear seat cooling, colors are not available for each trim throughout the lineup, and lack of cupholders.

Speaking of cup holders, SM consider accommodating tumblers!
Having driven our Bronco for awhile now I agree with your thoughts. Especially cup holder size. Everyone seems to have Yetis these days so might as well accommodate them

Reactions: oldgeeksguide