Daily Driver Comforts

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I don't hate console shifters, and honestly thought I would not like a column selector, but now that I have driven column for a decade, I prefer it. Back in the day, a column shifter or console shifter was actually a choice...maybe this is something the new Scout folks might want to think about. ;)
Part of my argument for center mount is if they end up with controls for 4wd say-something like the GOAT mode dial -like in the new Bronco or other form-say toggles, buttons or whatever -now you have drive controls at various locations in the vehicle which becomes disjointed and I feel while actively driving, those controls should all be in the same location which seems more natural and safer when reaching to change drive modes.

We've had a couple Volvos over the last 15 years or so, and I have to say they have really thought through some useful details for the seats. Specifically, the front passenger's seat has a seatback release that allows it fold full forward. Our '05 V70 went completely flat, and our current XC60 goes reasonably flat if not completely.

Also, both front seats have simple "marsupial" pouches on the front edge of the cushion, which is perfect for pens, sunglasses, lip balm, sunscreen and probably more nefarious things as well. It's such a simple and relatively cheap feature that it always surprised me no one else does that.

These two features would add true utility to the Scout lineup.

Another idea with this might be cell phone covers that have the fob chip in them. The phone covers could proudly display the Scout emblem and maybe have a slim appearance with matching Scout paint colors (something the ladies would prefer). Maybe a more rugged look for the men as an option too. Although this would be cool to have on my phone, realizing the up hill climb to create covers for all the different phone types could be tough. So, another possible step might be creating a thin plastic card with the chip in it (hopefully about the size of a sim card). With the back side being self adhesive, one could stick it on the back of their phone between their phone and thier own choice of a phone case.

Again, the preset interior settings change to the person unlocking the driver side door.

I was looking at my smart watch today thinking another option might be using the watch to unlock/start the vehicle. If not the watch itself, the same idea as the above mentioned phone case could be applied to watch bands...the fob chip could be embedded in the wrist bands themselves. Both the phone cases and wrist bands could be out sourced and sold in Scout Store when you build your Scout online.

Reactions: Odderblue
I was looking at my smart watch today thinking another option might be using the watch to unlock/start the vehicle. If not the watch itself, the same idea as the above mentioned phone case could be applied to watch bands...the fob chip could be embedded in the wrist bands themselves. Both the phone cases and wrist bands could be out sourced and sold in Scout Store when you build your Scout online.
One the things I like the most about Tesla is the phone based app the opens, starts, sets climate, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Harris005
I’ll agree with all but #5. I do not and have never liked column shifters. My daughters current Honda CRV has a central shifter but it’s short and above the console area. I didn’t like it either at first but the more I ride with her it’s grown on me. Cups fit below and console area is more open. It’s also very easy to reach for and see drive and reverse. The open console is nice and would allow for a magnetic charger for phones
Having an ID.4 with the Drive selection ("Shifter") on the column is something I thought I would not like, but turns out it is a great location. Putting it in the center console is wasting space for that could be repurposed for improved ergonomics. Doing things like we are used to gets us results like the just plain silly Lexus EV concept with a manual transmission because someone says it can't be engaging without rowing the gears. Added complexity and cost because we are unwilling to consider change that could just be better if wiling to give it a try. smh Stepping down from my soapbox now. lol

Reactions: Rustic_father
Having an ID.4 with the Drive selection ("Shifter") on the column is something I thought I would not like, but turns out it is a great location. Putting it in the center console is wasting space for that could be repurposed for improved ergonomics. Doing things like we are used to gets us results like the just plain silly Lexus EV concept with a manual transmission because someone says it can't be engaging without rowing the gears. Added complexity and cost because we are unwilling to consider change that could just be better if wiling to give it a try. smh Stepping down from my soapbox now. lol
I followed my previous post with the following if you missed it.
(Part of my argument for center mount is if they end up with controls for 4wd say-something like the GOAT mode dial -like in the new Bronco or other form-say toggles, buttons or whatever -now you have drive controls at various locations in the vehicle which becomes disjointed and I feel while actively driving, those controls should all be in the same location which seems more natural and safer when reaching to change drive modes).
I am in favor of a high mount shifter like the Honda CRV because you open up space below as you and others have mentioned. This would also then allow 4WD controller to be immediately adjacent so all drive controls are grouped together so eye movement is all to same place. I agree things can change-I have an Acura TLX that has the drive mode buttons which most hate but I have grown to like and opens up more console storage space and mag charger for cell phone

Reactions: PapaTire
I followed my previous post with the following if you missed it.
(Part of my argument for center mount is if they end up with controls for 4wd say-something like the GOAT mode dial -like in the new Bronco or other form-say toggles, buttons or whatever -now you have drive controls at various locations in the vehicle which becomes disjointed and I feel while actively driving, those controls should all be in the same location which seems more natural and safer when reaching to change drive modes).
I am in favor of a high mount shifter like the Honda CRV because you open up space below as you and others have mentioned. This would also then allow 4WD controller to be immediately adjacent so all drive controls are grouped together so eye movement is all to same place. I agree things can change-I have an Acura TLX that has the drive mode buttons which most hate but I have grown to like and opens up more console storage space and mag charger for cell phone
I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion....But why make a special dial for something that doesn't need to be changed fast or while the driver cannot take their eyes off the road. Adding a dial adds a lot of manufacturing and design complexities. Another factor to consider is that there are no gear boxes or other mechanical changes, so ultimately changing the off road posture would result in ride height and software controlling the throttle input. By changing the off road modes there would be nothing mechanically that would change on the drive train.

Ultimately it is nice to have feely buttons but think about how often you change these settings? Probably once when you leave the road, and once when you get back on the road. And for the average person how often is that? Once per week or maybe a few times per month?

Changing the off road posture of the vehicle is probably best handled on the main screen. this would allow not only for the space to be freed up to make room for other storage solutions but it would also make manufacturing easier because they don't need to create a dial, install it and have other wires and controllers attached and integrated and routed back to the main computer.

Reactions: LastDayScout
Saw this today....

Screenshot_20230211_100241_Facebook.jpg

Another small detail to put on the drafting table checklist: ✅️ Sunglasses storage. I miss having this in my truck (currently just have to put them above visor). The wife and I both choose to keep our Oakley's in our vehicles so the don't get thrown around and damaged. With the Scout's top off the sunglasses will be a must :cool:. I might add incorporating slots for passengers as well.

Quick heating would be great especially at foot level. The sliding floor heater “trap” door in the Scouts was always great. Instant heat coming off the V8 engine. Wonder if there’s a way to pull heat off the battery packs and funnel it with the “trap” door like the originals. Without an ICE the firewall wouldn’t be necessary or not as vigorous so maybe there is a way and then it could be an Easter egg of sorts.
I have a bench seat in my Scout II I got used to driving with my right leg pressed against the center hump for heat in addition to feeling lucky to have that added fan heater mounted under the dash. My dads Scout II had bucket seats and no heater. He kept his plugged in with a block heater. But mine always seemed warmer for the driver. Winter involved deicing enough to start the car, turn all heat on, and then climb bumpers to get the rest of the snow cleared. Hopefully Scout warmed inside when you finished. As much as I love the simple design of my twist knobs and slide vents, in the modern scout my top driver comfort would be adding the modern convenience of a heated seat and heated steering might be a nice too.

1. To maintain harmony in our household I am not allowed to buy a vehicles that has fewer seat adjustments for the passenger side than the driver side. Seat equality! ;)
  2. Kick ass heat pump
  3. Some kind of frunk - Not having one is a perceived fail. It's 60% for showing off, but I would use it
  4. Charging port on front of vehicle (grill area)...and maybe option to have second one in the rear - Side ports are stupid.
  5. Column shifter like MB / Tesla preferred - Works - opens up console
  6. Windows that drop all the way for rear doors where applicable
  7. Folding mirrors
  8. Decent stereo with SiriusXM and an antenna that doesn't get blocked by a Thule roof box
  9. Heated seats, steering wheel, windshield, wiper blades, side mirrors,...everything you can heat - It's damn cold where I live
  10. Laminated side glass option - Once you've had it you'll never want a vehicle without it.
  11. Non run-flat tires
  12. Double-up sun visors so you can have front an side when you want
  13. Rear sun shades - Manual is fine - Keep little kids happy and block out the peasants
  14. USB C near the rear view mirror so you can easily mount / plug in dash cam
I agree with number 4. Vechle at work has a side port that is way more inconvenient and oddly placed. I wonder if you could have a design like the phone charging station that goes under your car so you could just drive over it without plugging in at home.

• Love
As long as you have some manual way of getting in as a back up for my walking EMP days these obtains are great. Yesterday I put my dog in the back and started my car (not a scout) to warm it up while I deiced it. My car has a tendency to automatically lock, so I took my fob out with me as a precaution. Yep you guessed it car auto locked with dog inside. Fob wouldn’t work for me. Spare key was at my family’s house 20 minutes away so here I am locked out of my running car. Was an hour late for work and I had to wake my family up to rescue me. For every cool gadget you creat please have a self rescue option for walking EMPs because I still want an EV Scout!

As long as you have some manual way of getting in as a back up for my walking EMP days these obtains are great. Yesterday I put my dog in the back and started my car (not a scout) to warm it up while I deiced it. My car has a tendency to automatically lock, so I took my fob out with me as a precaution. Yep you guessed it car auto locked with dog inside. Fob wouldn’t work for me. Spare key was at my family’s house 20 minutes away so here I am locked out of my running car. Was an hour late for work and I had to wake my family up to rescue me. For every cool gadget you creat please have a self rescue option for walking EMPs because I still want an EV Scout!
This will be less of an issue for EVs especially ones that use phones as keys. 99 times out of 100 people always have their phones with them now adays, and with EVs always "on" the systems are less passive.

From the Tesla perspective not only does my phone unlock the car as soon as I get into bluetooth range of my car, but i can also pre-heat/cool my vehicle from anywhere because it is always connected via wifi/cell networks. there are other functions that are available on my tesla as well...one day my co-worker came up to me and said it was raining and they were going to go out to close their windows, i just opened my phone and closed my windows....i didn't have to get wet doing it.

I also keep the key-card in my wallet incase my phone dies but i haven't had to use that yet.

Maybe this will sound controversial, but if we are being realistic, and if we understand that Scout will be part of the Volkswagon group, we have to understand that the designers of the new Scout may take some classic design cues from the old Scout and incorporate those in new & interesting ways, but whatever is decided for tech and controls won't be specifically or "purpose-built" for a super narrow demographic. Scout will be in business to sell Scouts, and if you build a factory, you will need to justify that by building a vehicle has some degree of mass appeal to a wider segment. That doesn't mean that the new Scout can't be designed to stand-out. For example, the theme of modularity or building to a spec that can be adjusted or configured (or re-configured) easily by owners is an interesting way to accommodate the desire to have very personalized vehicles. But, if Scout were to build a vehicle hyper focussed on "65-year old male loggers living in cold temps that always wear gloves, ice fish and don't use smart phones", they would end up with a very long runway to profitability.

Maybe this will sound controversial, but if we are being realistic, and if we understand that Scout will be part of the Volkswagon group, we have to understand that the designers of the new Scout may take some classic design cues from the old Scout and incorporate those in new & interesting ways, but whatever is decided for tech and controls won't be specifically or "purpose-built" for a super narrow demographic. Scout will be in business to sell Scouts, and if you build a factory, you will need to justify that by building a vehicle has some degree of mass appeal to a wider segment. That doesn't mean that the new Scout can't be designed to stand-out. For example, the theme of modularity or building to a spec that can be adjusted or configured (or re-configured) easily by owners is an interesting way to accommodate the desire to have very personalized vehicles. But, if Scout were to build a vehicle hyper focussed on "65-year old male loggers living in cold temps that always wear gloves, ice fish and don't use smart phones", they would end up with a very long runway to profitability.

I think we will strive for balance. A solid range of trim levels could make a wider variety of people happy. Realistically it has been over 40 years since the last Scout was sold and many things have changed in terms of expectations in the market. From a design standpoint, we can do a lot to offer a wide variety of options both in trims and features but also in customization. Likewise in capturing the look and feel of a Scout over anything else in the market - there aren't many boxy SUVs on the market to start with. Technology makes it a little trickier as virtually everything on the market uses computers in one way or another. We really want a balance in controls that are mechanical in nature for common things and also screen based for those that find that easier or more desirable. We have time to sort these things out, and that's why we seek feedback and ideas in the community forums here.

Keep it coming!

That sounds great and love that we are seeing some renewed interest in "boxy" vehicles that provide real "utility". On the Tech stuff, I always think I am a tech savvy, tech-forward type of person, then one of my kids shows me something (on their computer or their phone) that just blows my mind. Could be something as simple as learning a shortcut... My only point being that your future customers are all going to be "pre-programmed" this way and have certain expectations in mind. I think one way to balance some of this is to take advantage of things like Apple Car Play and Android Auto, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Those are functionally excellent ways to mitigate the amount of SW development required (and not needed) for Scout. Sure, you will have a set of native Scout functions and parameters in the Infotainment system, but basic is better. Some OEM's (likely a hubris issue) think they will miraculously surpass the decades of work done by Apple and Android with a native or proprietary interface that will be somehow superior. It won't be. This is often apparent in voice controls. Hands free couldn't be any easier than with Siri or Alexa, and since you will never displace a driver's smartphone, you might as well make it easy for customers to use their smartphones INSIDE the vehicle, b/c as soon as they step OUTSIDE of the vehicle, they are taking their smartphones with them.

A fan of these!

Also looks to have the push button method to hold them in place. I have that on my Silverado and like it much more than the hooks method.

Reactions: J Alynn
We read a lot about having to keep the batteries cool with an a/c system just for that. Could that excess heat be siphoned off and directed toward cabin comfort instead of running an a/c unit?
I don't think it's as efficient or effective. And EVs are all about efficiency.

On our 4xe the battery pack has it's own separate HVAC, to keep them at the optimal temperature, period. So in the winter it pumps in heat, in the summer it cools them off.