Model Names

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

IdahoJOAT

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
I know we've discussed in other threads about models and how we'd like them named, but I thought of something today and wanted to not only get my fellow Scouters' opinions on it, but make sure our fellows on the payroll and making decisions see it as well.

Names are everything. This is obvious from a marketing perspective right? And while many of us are aware of the trap and problem with modern day naming and models(eg MTX, MLK, CL650L, LT, LS, LTZ, ZL1, etc.) there's something else to be said for just plain bonehead moves.

What made me think of the topic of this thread was the removable roof want, and someone brought up the new EV Hummer with removable roof sections. This made me think of the Avalanche's removable bed covers, then of this new "EV Silverado"... Anyone who's ever driven or owned an Avalanche much less seen it knows this sumbitch isn't a Silverado anymore than the Avalanches were. It's a damn Avalanche. I know of many Avvy guys who're excited to have a new-age Avalanche. They're excited for the EV aspect. And they're going to rebadge the sucker as soon as they can.

Again, subject for the post:

Don't make this mistake. As seen, if asked what "names" should be, there's going to be hundreds of different opinions and answers, but what I can say with a regular amount of certainty is that NO ONE wants "Scout Motors' Scout III XLT Deluxe Premium Cobalt XVIL"

Last edited:
I know we've discussed in other threads about models and how we'd like them named, but I thought of something today and wanted to not only get my fellow Scouters' opinions on it, but make sure our fellows on the payroll and making decisions see it as well.

Names are everything. This is obvious from a marketing perspective right? And while many of us are aware of the trap and problem with modern day naming and models(eg MTX, MLK, CL650L, LT, LS, LTZ, ZL1, etc.) there's something else to be said for just plain bonehead moves.

What made me think of the topic of this thread was the removable roof want, and someone brought up the new EV Hummer with removable roof sections. This made me think of the Avalanche's remove bed covers, then of this new "EV Silverado"... Anyone who's ever driven or owned an Avalanche much less seen it knows this sumbitch isn't a Silverado anymore than the Avalanches were. It's a damn Avalanche. I know of many Avvy guys who're excited to have a new-age Avalanche. They're excited for the EV aspect. And they're going to rebadge the sucker as soon as they can.

Again, subject for the post:

Don't make this mistake. As seen, if asked what "names" should be, there's going to be hundreds of different opinions and answers, but what I can say with a regular amount of certainty is that NO ONE wants "Scout Motors' Scout III XLT Deluxe Premium Cobalt XVIL"
Funny you mention this. I don’t think there should be any letters either. Was wondering if HARVESTER could be used as an actual model name? Worried about IH trademark but using old, original names or a reference to IH would be a quick way to get people’s attention. My dad talks about our old Scout occasionally but he’s not a car guy in the sense that had I not mentioned it he wouldn’t have known Scout was being resurrected-as I’m sure many people have no idea. Using old names might catch buyers who recall their vehicle(s) but hadn’t considered something beyond mainstream American made vehicles

I thought I would pull this thread back up since I was about to ask the question....

As mentioned naming is everything and one big glaring thing is that "scout" used to be the model. And international harvester was the company name.......now "scout" is the company name.

What do we think the model names will be? It can't be just as simple as III? Or would it stay true to the old numbering scene line 80 / 800 etc? Something similar to BMW where the the numbers stand for things?

Also keeping in mind the faaaarrrrr future..... If the "scout" brand wants to be successful it can't only make 3 variations of one vehicle.....it will likely need to also make other vehicles of different types....so with that in mind the model name needs to emphasize and capture the spirit of the old IH scout into the new Scout _____

Thoughts?

Scout III- 4 door version we’re most likely to see

Scout Terra- pickup version

Super Scout III- off road version like Rubicon

Scout Travelall- long wheelbase 3 row

Scout 80- two row version for a later date. Bare bones, off-road, rock climbing, beach going, utilitarian.

Scout III- 4 door version we’re most likely to see

Scout Terra- pickup version

Super Scout III- off road version like Rubicon

Scout Travelall- long wheelbase 3 row

Scout 80- two row version for a later date. Bare bones, off-road, rock climbing, beach going, utilitarian.
so normally people talk about the brand then the model like the VW golf or the Subaru Forester or the BMW M3

Would these then be:

Scout Scout III
Scout Scout Terra
Scout Super Scout III
Scout Scout travelall
Scout Scout 80

Or would the models be
III
Super III
Terra
Travelall

Do you see what I'm trying to point out? It would be weird for the model and the company name to be the same.

so normally people talk about the brand then the model like the VW golf or the Subaru Forester or the BMW M3

Would these then be:

Scout Scout III
Scout Scout Terra
Scout Super Scout III
Scout Scout travelall
Scout Scout 80

Or would the models be
III
Super III
Terra
Travelall

Do you see what I'm trying to point out? It would be weird for the model and the company name to be the same.
Other than the III above I think the second group would just be Scout-Travelall, etc…. I still like three as the name but odd label. Also wondering if III becomes an issue with BMW using it. I would vote for Scout-Harvester as the new III model. So long as international isn’t used I think they could use it, or maybe Harvest-all but not as clean sounding

Would these then be:

Scout Scout III
Scout Scout Terra
Scout Super Scout III
Scout Scout travelall
Scout Scout 80

Or would the models be
III
Super III
Terra
Travelall

The latter

Other than the III above I think the second group would just be Scout-Travelall, etc…. I still like three as the name but odd label. Also wondering if III becomes an issue with BMW using it. I would vote for Scout-Harvester as the new III model. So long as international isn’t used I think they could use it, or maybe Harvest-all but not as clean sounding
yes 3 is used by BMW and Tesla...would be a bit of confusion/competition

While we’re dreaming about names and models…a 4x4 Metro passenger and cargo van would be sweet. That’s a pretty popular market right now with van life and overlanding. Face it. A van is the most versatile people and stuff mover. Since Scout may be sharing a platform with Audi, maybe VW would share the ID Buzz platform to make the Metro, but with Scout suspension specifications. 🤷🏻‍♂️
1675561173629.jpeg

Would these then be:

Scout Scout III
Scout Scout Terra
Scout Super Scout III
Scout Scout travelall
Scout Scout 80

Or would the models be
III
Super III
Terra
Travelall

This is an interesting take. We are all use to it being an International Harvester - Scout II. Now Scout is the manufacturer name. I agree with @LastDayScout that it would be the latter; however, the Super doesn't really work. It's a Super Scout, not a Scout Super. I suppose identifying it as SS III is the easiest, but if you saying it out loud it would be a Scout Super Scout III 🤔

Also, just to throw it out there for conversation, you also have the editions: Midas, Patriot, Shawnee, etc. I think trim packages should be simular to these. My vote aligns with @IdahoJOAT in that we don't need another "Platinum".

Last edited:
This is an interesting take. We are all use to it being an International Harvester - Scout II. Now Scout is the manufacturer name. I agree with @LastDayScout that it would be the latter; however, the Super doesn't really work. It's a Super Scout, not a Scout Super. I suppose identifying it as SS III is the easiest, but if you saying it out loud it would be a Scout Super Scout III 🤔

Also, just to throw it out there for conversation, you also have the editions: Midas, Patriot, Shawnee, etc. I think trim packages should be simular to these. My vote aligns with @IdahoJOAT in that we don't need another "Platinum".
I like those names. I getw up in a neighborhood called Shawnee Hills when we had our Scout. Maybe the package I want will align 😀😀

Just tossing it out there we might want to avoid making something with the label "SS" coming from a certain German parent company that has particular origin story.....

Reactions: Tuff66
I like those names. I getw up in a neighborhood called Shawnee Hills when we had our Scout. Maybe the package I want will align 😀😀

Scout Super? Kinda falls flat. SSIII could work, but not great in my opinion. I’ve mentioned before this package is a must and will sell well. I’m sure the forthcoming Jeep Recon will have a Rubicon package. Scout will need a competitor. Perhaps if the truck is not called Terra that name could be used. Also names like Terrastar, Terramax could work and go with the International truck naming conventions.

Reactions: Rustic_father
Just tossing it out there we might want to avoid making something with the label "SS" coming from a certain German parent company that has particular origin story.....
I thought it but didn’t write it. But, since you did…I don’t think Shawnee will make a comeback either. Jeep caught a bunch of flak for the Cherokee name being continued on their latest GC. I don’t think Scout needs the name of the negative publicity.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts on what everyone's said(had drill, it was a long week):
  • If I were to name the models it would be as such:
    • Regular 4 door: "Traveler"
    • Truck version: "Terra"
    • Trim levels will be:
      • Base = nothing special
      • Mid level: "Signature"
      • Fully loaded: "Premium"
    • Lifted, tougher, more off road package(think the Sasquatch): "Super"
So what this would look like in practice would be:
  • "I ordered a Signature Super Traveler."
  • "I picked up my Premium Super Terra."
  • "I just got a Traveler."
This also allows Scout to adopt the Jeep abbreviations. As of now I can go on any Jeep site/forum and describe my Jeep as such "JLURe." Immediately other Jeepers know that I have a 4xe, 4 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon purely by those letters. Scout can do the same. Those above examples would look like:
  • SSSTv
  • SPSTa
  • STv
Now I know in my thoughts a ton of you are going to ask "Where's the III?" I personally think the III is reserved for the 2 door version, whenever or if ever it comes out. This reservation for the 2 door is also coupled with the III prototype that's already on display at the museum.

Why the Traveler instead of the Travelall? Because the Traveler and Travelall are STILL confusing to someone who doesn't follow Scouts. Travelall sounds EXTREMELY dated as well. Whereas Traveler sounds better, and has instant recognition.

The key is, the BRAND is the name. I have a Jeep. And you know something about me. About who I am. I want that for Scout Motors and the rest of you.

When someone asks what you drive, you can look them right in the eye and say, "I got a Scout." And they know, instantly, something about you.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that the Case IH UTV/side by side is called Scout. I wonder if Fiat (who owns Case IH) would play nice with some IH logos, Harvester Red, or other bits finding their way into the new Scout?

Reactions: Harris005
It just occurred to me that the Case IH UTV/side by side is called Scout. I wonder if Fiat (who owns Case IH) would play nice with some IH logos, Harvester Red, or other bits finding their way into the new Scout?
I think Jamie already noted that the IH and red may be a tough go. I know I mentioned it at some point. Maybe Jamie can expand on that. I’d like a launch edition (all of us early members) and would be cool to get a one-time freebie and maybe call it the harvester edition. Would agree with you it would be great to get IH tied in. Maybe just some Easter eggs on the new Scouts

Rallye would also be a cool name to use.

Perhaps this is an area where Scout Motors can add something original and provide new names to the Scout Legacy. I agree that numbers are boring but lots of companies do it because it makes trademarks easy and cheap. The CEO of Polestar once said naming vehicles is a logistical pain which is why Polestar models are just numbers.

In keeping with the idea of "the world needs scouts" perhaps trim levels or equipment packages could simply be named after compass points—something scouts should know. A Scout "Insert Name" North could be outfitted for adventures in the Rockies, South is outfitted for the Everglades, West is ready for the beach, and East is more targeted for Urban needs. Great way to celebrate an American icon by celebrating America's major regions.

Looks like this:
MAKEMODELTRIM OR PACKAGE
ScoutRallye (just a name for an example)North
ScoutRallyeSouth
ScoutRallyeEast
ScoutRallyeWest

I keep daydreaming about water/coastal inspired names for a trim package. I made an Islander package for my TJ that mimics the one from the YJ because I’ve always loved the graphics and waterproof/hose out the sand style. Being as I’m from Charleston and the Scout is built in SC I am leaning toward “Lowcountry”.