Audible pedestrian warning noise

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Yes, Rivian uses bird-like chirps for door opening / closing locking, but they can change with updates. For Halloween for example, the car could make owl noises with that update, and also includes on-screen Zombies (instead of people) when humans are passing the car + orange / amber lighting effects. Pretty wild what you can do with little updates and SW based on the way the tech is implemented.

Here is the reg:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that hybrid and light electric vehicles (LEVs) with four wheels and a gross weight rating of 10,000 lbs or less make a sound when traveling at 19 mph or less. This requirement is part of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 141, also known as the "quiet vehicles" rule. The standard was established in December 2016 in response to the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010, which mandated that EVs make noise to help prevent pedestrian injuries. The NHTSA estimates that the rule could prevent 2,400 pedestrian injuries each year.

The artificial engine sound that EVs make must be at least 56 decibels (dBA) within 2 meters when the car is traveling at 12 mph or slower, and no more than 75 dBA. The sound increases when the car speeds up and decreases when it slows down to simulate the sound of an internal combustion engine (ICE) car. At higher speeds, tire and wind noise are usually the main sources of a vehicle's noise, so the sounds of EVs and ICE vehicles are similar.

In 2019, the NHTSA issued a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) to amend FMVSS No. 141 to remove the numerical limit on compliant sounds. The NHTSA also loosened language in the rule that restricted sound variation between different makes, models, and trim levels
If "traveling at 12 mph or slower" is the actual legal language, I would think that no sound when the vehicle is stopped would be OK, as it is obviously not "traveling" when it is not going anywhere.

If it's allowed, I'd like to be able to choose from a few sounds. Personally, I think a quite ICE motor sound makes sense when around people, as everyone knows what that sound means. It should "rev", which is also a audible clue people use to track cars. This would be best for the blind as well. When not driving around people, I'd also prefer some type of nature sound or, of course, no sound at all.

Also, I recall an thread on the Ioniq 5 forum where someone rigged up a remote control for their pedestrian noise using some gadget from Amazon. That was possible because there is a fuse that controlled the sound and only the sound. Default it to "on". When you head away from people, just click the remote to "off".

That's brilliant!! I love it!

I realize it's a law so automakers have no choice. Nice to see an effort to loosen it though. I think it's a dumb law that still puts the burden of not being run-over on the pedestrian instead of the driver where it belongs.
I do think the drivers are responsible for not running over people, but as a runner I know better than to trust them. I want to have as much warning as possible about what is going on around me. I want to hear the car that might be coming up behind me because they have drifted to the wrong side of the road while they try to find the right spot to swipe to use their turn signal or whatever.

It isn't a burden of not being run over that I am asking for, it is the ability to have another way to protect myself. Do you really trust the other drivers on the road that much?

I do think the drivers are responsible for not running over people, but as a runner I know better than to trust them. I want to have as much warning as possible about what is going on around me. I want to hear the car that might be coming up behind me because they have drifted to the wrong side of the road while they try to find the right spot to swipe to use their turn signal or whatever.

It isn't a burden of not being run over that I am asking for, it is the ability to have another way to protect myself. Do you really trust the other drivers on the road that much?
I don't trust any other drivers turn signals and refuse to pull out in front of a supposed turning vehicle until they initiate the turn.

But as you run facing traffic, there is a large contingent of runners and walkers that do not face traffic and so it is even easier for a distracted driver to drift only onto the shoulder and hit said pedestrian from behind

Reactions: Albal and J Alynn
I’m for the original Scout 345 with glass packs on both side revving heavy 😀
I would settle for the somewhat smooth idle of 1 bbl slant 4........with the air cleaner lid on upside down. Anyone else ever open up the air intake like that?

One observation as an EV truck owner... With a Pure EV, not having any exhaust or motor noise is a benefit & feature for many. I get that people want to harken-back to a throaty exhaust noice or rumble because there is nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning, but it is also sort of the antithesis to progress and cleaner running vehicles. There's also something very stealthy about having all that torque and nearly ZERO engine or exhaust noise WITH INSTANT POWER at your feet. I'll be honest, I absolutely love it.

On the other hand... Some people would prefer to spend money to put custom exhaust pipes on trucks to make them sound meaner than they actually are, or "enhance" the amount of noise being emitted. Not sure why, but some (not all) of those same people might see my EV truck and rev their engine. Maybe its an anti-EV flex to blow exhaust fumes and rev the ICE motor - maybe it's nothing. I ignore it either way. Maybe other people see EV's and just want you to know that they will never not burn dinosaurs.

It's funny, b/c this isn't all or nothing, black or white decision. This is a long progression and we are at a starting point. As one example, I still have a GAS outboard on my boat that I tow with my EV truck.

From an OEM perspective, there is probably some sensitivity toward trying to instill a quiet confidence in owners that they are helping to create a paradigm shift. And like it or not, that shift is away from rolling coal and blowing fumes out of straight pipes. To help get there, brands like Scout will want to help drive progress thoughtfully around some of these features, and around the identity of these new trucks and the brand.

I could see an EV truck that makes ICE exhaust noises being (potentially) confusing to some prospective buyers. "Is that thing an EV or a gas Scout???" Might be hard to tell! Some people (not many at this point) still don't know what a Rivian is and ask about my truck and if it is electric. I have fielded so many questions in the last 2+ years, and I probably helped Rivian sell 20+ trucks locally. No lie.

New Scout owners will essentially be the first true brand ambassadors for this vehicle, which could be an entirely separate thread & topic. I'm not going to tell Scout what to do, and certainly the heritage aspect for Scout is important (Rivian did not have any heritage), so maybe a fake exhaust noise will help Scout sell a few more trucks to older enthusiasts. It's just an interesting consideration for the brand as they balance the forward progress piece of this equation, and think about what the new Scout will stand for in terms of the environment, etc.

One observation as an EV truck owner... With a Pure EV, not having any exhaust or motor noise is a benefit & feature for many. I get that people want to harken-back to a throaty exhaust noice or rumble because there is nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning, but it is also sort of the antithesis to progress and cleaner running vehicles. There's also something very stealthy about having all that torque and nearly ZERO engine or exhaust noise WITH INSTANT POWER at your feet. I'll be honest, I absolutely love it.

On the other hand... Some people would prefer to spend money to put custom exhaust pipes on trucks to make them sound meaner than they actually are, or "enhance" the amount of noise being emitted. Not sure why, but some (not all) of those same people might see my EV truck and rev their engine. Maybe its an anti-EV flex to blow exhaust fumes and rev the ICE motor - maybe it's nothing. I ignore it either way. Maybe other people see EV's and just want you to know that they will never not burn dinosaurs.

It's funny, b/c this isn't all or nothing, black or white decision. This is a long progression and we are at a starting point. As one example, I still have a GAS outboard on my boat that I tow with my EV truck.

From an OEM perspective, there is probably some sensitivity toward trying to instill a quiet confidence in owners that they are helping to create a paradigm shift. And like it or not, that shift is away from rolling coal and blowing fumes out of straight pipes. To help get there, brands like Scout will want to help drive progress thoughtfully around some of these features, and around the identity of these new trucks and the brand.

I could see an EV truck that makes ICE exhaust noises being (potentially) confusing to some prospective buyers. "Is that thing an EV or a gas Scout???" Might be hard to tell! Some people (not many at this point) still don't know what a Rivian is and ask about my truck and if it is electric. I have fielded so many questions in the last 2+ years, and I probably helped Rivian sell 20+ trucks locally. No lie.

New Scout owners will essentially be the first true brand ambassadors for this vehicle, which could be an entirely separate thread & topic. I'm not going to tell Scout what to do, and certainly the heritage aspect for Scout is important (Rivian did not have any heritage), so maybe a fake exhaust noise will help Scout sell a few more trucks to older enthusiasts. It's just an interesting consideration for the brand as they balance the forward progress piece of this equation, and think about what the new Scout will stand for in terms of the environment, etc.
I don’t think fake engine noise for the sake of noise is at all worthwhile. Was strictly joking when I mentioned glass pack muffler noise. My initial thoughts are just how absolutely annoying the sound is that emits from my accord hybrid and if I HAVE to have a noise I’d prefer something classic automotive or I’m open to the birds and nature noises or heck-chirping crickets would be better than mine. I just want a noise that doesn’t make EVERYONE stop and look. Something like a traditional engine noise is so common most people wouldn’t even pay attention to it but they’d still hear it to cover the safety act of making the noise in the first place. No alien noises or honda civic/subaru boy racer fart-can exhaust noises is all I’m asking for. Maybe something soothing like monestary monks chanting. Or the sound that two hampsters on a spin wheel make-now that would be funny
Ultimately I think I just want to avoid futuristic noises that are out of place around an automobile. Maybe it’s a roaring/crackling fire sound that bridges the idea of a roaring combustion engine and wilderness bonfire. A noise that ties the story of Scout to the public and to the land it serves

One of my best sounding vehicles was my 1984(?85?) Pontiac 6000STE. The engineers tried to tune the exhaust to sound like a Porsche and for a small water-cooled V6 (it was only a 3.2 or 2.8 as this predated the 3.8) but did it ever sound sweet back then.

How about when you press the go pedal on an EV it makes the sound of an engine being started. My two gas vehicles make that sound most of the time I move from a stop.

Reactions: J Alynn
Too funny. My dad had the same car - it was def a mid-life crisis type purchase for him I think... LOL. The exhaust noise was buttery from that thing

Reactions: J Alynn