Interior Feature Focus

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

ICE_Man

1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Mustang Mach-E and VW ID4 owner. I hate crossovers, and really hate the ID4 interior (buttons!) but those are the only options available. Since this is a VW brand, you'll probably be pulling from the VW parts bin. With a focus on the interior, and the fact that this is an off roader, real buttons are a real desire. Touchscreens are terrible, especially when bouncing around off road, or just driving in general. Please don't let your design team get sucked into using VW's horribly performing touch sensitive buttons, and fight the urge to put everything on an annoyingly large touchscreen. Also, any screens that are in the cabin should have a power button so they can be turned off while driving. A 15in glowing touchscreen at night is really annoying.

A brake regen paddle would be awesome/and or L button that engages something close to one pedal driving without engaging the physical brakes. I like to maximize regen without hitting the mechanical braking threshold. The ID4 is a black box of information which makes it very disengaging to drive

Also resist the urge to add a bunch of wizz bang party tricks to the car as well. A back to basics SUV should be the focus.

Can't wait to place a reservation!

I second simple physical controls for daily use items like climate, windows, mirrors, volume. I am on the fence for exterior light switches as modern automatic lighting has become so good. Adjustable regen would be good. Simple, comfortable and easy to clean surfaces. Does not need to be premium level quiet inside for me. Good quality stereo / sound sytem.

I second simple physical controls for daily use items like climate, windows, mirrors, volume. I am on the fence for exterior light switches as modern automatic lighting has become so good. Adjustable regen would be good. Simple, comfortable and easy to clean surfaces. Does not need to be premium level quiet inside for me. Good quality stereo / sound sytem.
I came here to say the same thing. Physical buttons are a must. I bought two vehicles in the last two years after test driving dozens. The ones without physical buttons all ended up being eliminated because of the amount of time we weren’t looking at the road trying to change things.

Agree with everyone's comments! ! ! Take the VW's base interior out of something like a T-Roc, combine it with a solid electric drivetrain, and you've got a winner.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
I hope this this kept practical classic. I think BMW has done a good job with the Z8. Ford has done a good job with implementing the Gen1 Bronco in their screens, hope Scout Motor Co. does a throwback to their heritage here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221124_075153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124_075153_Chrome.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 8
I hope this this kept practical classic. I think BMW has done a good job with the Z8. Ford has done a good job with implementing the Gen1 Bronco in their screens, hope Scout Motor Co. does a throwback to their heritage here.
That’s a gorgeous instrument cluster. I agree with you. I think traditional looking gauges would be great but worry with all electric it will be an electronic gauge cluster like Audi is doing. I wouldn’t mind that if the graphics could be selected. Maybe they could build 3 to 4 variation the owner selects and take queues from the different generations of Scout.

In regard to my post on the electronic gauge cluster I think it would be cool if the center haptic screen could be set to a fixed mode and the graphics could be of traditional center stacks from the original scout. Visually it could show switches and even a radio face. Then also offer some modern looks for the Gen Z and Gen Alpha buyers. Just something else for buyers to customize which would be kind of cool. Let buyers “build” there graphics from a library of components.

Reactions: Harris005
That’s a gorgeous instrument cluster. I agree with you. I think traditional looking gauges would be great but worry with all electric it will be an electronic gauge cluster like Audi is doing. I wouldn’t mind that if the graphics could be selected. Maybe they could build 3 to 4 variation the owner selects and take queues from the different generations of Scout.
Honestly I'd be ok with hand crank windows!

This idea is interior but probably ties to the thoughts on the tailgate and rear hatch. I think a perimeter string of LEDs around the interior side of rear glass on a switch at back would be awesome. Then if you need to sort gear/parts or work on top of the tailgate (like a workbench) after dark the hatch up would let LEDs serve as an overhead light making it easier to see. Would help with camping prep as well.
Maybe go one step further and add color change option and additional rear speaker option and then it becomes a DJ center or perfect bar set-up when tailgating after a football game.

Let’s take a look here. While we all love it, the layout is not great. The wheel blocks the gauges and speedometer. But, they could keep the rectangular style and make it longer and slightly taller to display things like navigation etc. Scout, please give us an engine-turn dash appliqué!
AE4D4E35-2F01-49E1-AD96-EB332CF41636.jpeg

Reactions: Ulvdet and J Alynn
Let’s take a look here. While we all love it, the layout is not great. The wheel blocks the gauges and speedometer. But, they could keep the rectangular style and make it longer and slightly taller to display things like navigation etc. Scout, please give us an engine-turn dash appliqué!
View attachment 280
Short of a few upper dash defrost vents I forgot vents were down low and I think that is awesome location and leaves room to run a more linear dash setup like you noted

Short of a few upper dash defrost vents I forgot vents were down low and I think that is awesome location and leaves room to run a more linear dash setup like you noted
That’s because AC was still an add on kinda thing in those days. I think the vents could be low, but move up to where the slider controls, ashtray and lighter are located. Those certainly won’t be making a comeback. Although I would appreciate some vents closer to my face and head. My 1980 had AC. It was controlled completely separately from the heater and defrost.

Reactions: J Alynn
That’s because AC was still an add on kinda thing in those days. I think the vents could be low, but move up to where the slider controls, ashtray and lighter are located. Those certainly won’t be making a comeback. Although I would appreciate some vents closer to my face and head. My 1980 had AC. It was controlled completely separately from the heater and defrost.
Like the thoughts. As I said in early post, my scout travelall was put to rest in ‘89 so been a long while since I’ve been in one but like your thinking a lot and just excited overall in the design process as I’ve always hoped to have another Scout

Reactions: LastDayScout
Great comments on the dash cluster. As much as most of us luddites love the old, what would ultimately grow to love is a modern instrument cluster that is functional. Tesla has no instrument cluster, Mustang Mach-E has a very sad rectangular cluster that is 80% screensaver background and 5% useful information, Audi Etron has slick gauges that don't provide great info. The Chevy Volt has one of the best EV instrument clusters I've seen. It has a "tachometer" that shows you in actual numbers and a gauge how much electricity you are using or generating (it goes from -65KW for full regen to +150KW for full throttle). It displays MPGe and or mi/KW. Digital gauges today are really good, and are customizable.

Great comments on the dash cluster. As much as most of us luddites love the old, what would ultimately grow to love is a modern instrument cluster that is functional. Tesla has no instrument cluster, Mustang Mach-E has a very sad rectangular cluster that is 80% screensaver background and 5% useful information, Audi Etron has slick gauges that don't provide great info. The Chevy Volt has one of the best EV instrument clusters I've seen. It has a "tachometer" that shows you in actual numbers and a gauge how much electricity you are using or generating (it goes from -65KW for full regen to +150KW for full throttle). It displays MPGe and or mi/KW. Digital gauges today are really good, and are customizable.
Some great points. Would hate to see it go the Tesla route with a boring dash! I like the new EV Chevy truck dash layout. Would love to see that modern look, somehow tying in the classic Scout vibe.

Some great points. Would hate to see it go the Tesla route with a boring dash! I like the new EV Chevy truck dash layout. Would love to see that modern look, somehow tying in the classic Scout vibe.
Agreed. I think there needs to be digital gauges at a minimum. I personally like the simplicity of the Bronco interior and would work towards something like that. The new Chevy is a bit too modern IMO.

Agreed. I think there needs to be digital gauges at a minimum. I personally like the simplicity of the Bronco interior and would work towards something like that. The new Chevy is a bit too modern IMO.
Had to look and remind myself what the Bronco looks like. Fully agree with you on this. Do like the larger screen option shown in this pic. There is a lot of haters on the new Bronco, but I do think they did an awesome job incorporating both the new and old.

bronco-2dr-interior-03-1594667028.jpg

Reactions: J Alynn and Ulvdet
There have been a few post regarding carpet vs no carpet (easy clean up), and the sound deading characteristics it brings to the table. I just came across the post below that might be a bridge between the two talking points that Scout could look at offering.

I will say I had an '87 Toyota 4x4 pickup with vinyl floors. Yes, it was nice to clean up on those days you found yourself playing in the mud....BUT, I do remember after cleaning the floors they had a slick feel that was a bit annoying.

Had to look and remind myself what the Bronco looks like. Fully agree with you on this. Do like the larger screen option shown in this pic. There is a lot of haters on the new Bronco, but I do think they did an awesome job incorporating both the new and old.

View attachment 285
If this was actual case with the Bronco interior. This was the premier interior displayed and wasn't carried over into production.