Duck, Duck......Scout?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
So my high school daughter drives a Jeep Wrangler and loves it! She also enjoys having these damn ducks on her dash that drive me crazy. I'm always giving her a hard time about them, but she enjoys the connections made with other Jeep owners. I realized I'm in the wrong on this one. Why should I give her a hard time with something that is just for fun and sometimes strikes up conversations with other fellow Jeep owners.

So Scout Community, can we come up with something better? Something that doesn't require me to have ducks on my dash. Something more in the realm of 2026. :unsure:

Spit balling here, but curious if you all have ideas to build off of it....

I'm thinking the Scout emblem is designed to be a Smart Scout emblem, meaning another Scout owner can approach a Scout and 'tap' that emblem with their smart phone. From there their "duck" is digitally put on the dash. The duck in this case is an image that pops up on the touchscreen when that driver hops in and starts their Scout (lets reference the duck as "Scout Connect" so I can quit saying duck :ROFLMAO:). The image is one that is uploaded on each Scout owners Scout Motors App. Maybe a picture of their family in front of their Scout, with a stored message like "Greetings from the [insert family's last name]. Loved your Scout!"

Some ideas to continue to build on:
  • That Scout Connect now travels with that Scout, until someone else taps the emblem. You then get a notification that your Scout Connect is now with [insert that drivers uploaded image in their app] and is in [insert general location]. The thought here is continuing to connect with others in the Scout Community and the fun of seeing how far yours has traveled.
  • I'm sure there are games/scores that could be created that the younger generation would enjoy. Whos has traveled the furthest, a score card for each transfer to another Scout, a Return my duck to see if it can find its way back, or it creates a road trip to go get it back - a "Rallye Point", endless possibilities to build on here.
  • Within the Scout Motors App the Scout Connect page is built similar to Instagram - think Scout owners own social media. The main picture and brief history/family overview is locked at the top, but pictures taken with your Scout on different adventures are displayed below for others (specifically the Scout driver you are currently connected with) to enjoy and comment on. Maybe there is a way for that drivers dash cam to send and image of interesting landscapes they are currently driving? Ultimate goal is to continue to connect the Scout community. Updates throughout the years will continue to allow new ideas to be incorporated.
  • Maybe each Scout owner can purchase more Scout Connects through the app if he/she wants to see where other end up going.

All of this is just a silly, fun idea for the younger generations. Guess I'm trying to step out of my old man griping about some ducks on a dash approach for a bit. .....OK, I'm back....throw those ducks away girl, and clean your Jeep!

Last edited:
So my high school daughter drives a Jeep Wrangler and loves it! She also enjoys having these damn ducks on her dash that drive me crazy. I'm always giving her a hard time about them, but she enjoys the connections made with other Jeep owners. I realized I'm in the wrong on this one. Why should I give her a hard time with something that is just for fun and sometimes strikes up conversations with other fellow Jeep owners.

So Scout Community, can we come up with something better? Something that doesn't require me to have ducks on my dash. Something more in the realm of 2026. :unsure:

I'm thinking the Scout emblem is designed to be a Smart Scout emblem, meaning another Scout owner can approach a Scout and 'tap' that emblem with their smart phone. From there their "duck" is digitally put on the dash. The duck in this case is an image that pops up on the touchscreen when that driver hops in and starts their Scout (lets reference the duck as "Scout Connect" so I can quit saying duck :ROFLMAO:). The image is one that is uploaded on each Scout owners Scout Motors App. Maybe a picture of their family in front of their Scout, with a stored message like "Greetings from the [insert family's last name]. Loved your Scout!"

• That Scout Connect now travels with that Scout, until someone else taps the emblem. You then get a notification that your Scout Connect is now with [insert that drivers uploaded image in their app] and is in [insert general location]. The thought here is continuing to connect with others in the Scout Community and the fun of seeing how far yours has traveled.
  • I'm sure there are games/scores that could be created that the younger generation would enjoy. Whos has traveled the furthest, a score card for each transfer to another Scout, a Return my duck to see if it can find its way back, or it creates a road trip to go get it back - a "Rallye Point", endless possibilities to build on here.
  • Within the Scout Motors App the Scout Connect page is built similar to Instagram - think Scout owners own social media. The main picture and brief history/family overview is locked at the top, but pictures taken with your Scout on different adventures are displayed below for others (specifically the Scout driver you are currently connected with) to enjoy and comment on. Maybe there is a way for that drivers dash cam to send and image of interesting landscapes they are currently driving? Ultimate goal is to continue to connect the Scout community. Updates throughout the years will continue to allow new ideas to be incorporated.
  • Maybe each Scout owner can purchase more Scout Connects through the app if he/she wants to see where other end up going.

All of this is just a silly, fun idea for the younger generations. Guess I'm trying to step out of my old man griping about some ducks on a dash approach for a bit. .....OK, I'm back....throw those ducks away girl, and clean your Jeep!
Probably not economical but what about patches of your Scout to give to others for their headliner?

Reactions: Harris005

Would be cool if the app could generate an avatar of your specific Scout and incorporate an avatar of the Scout owner in front of the vehicle. Sorta like a family photo as you mentioned but in avatar form. Could be a single owner, a family or a couple and their dog. Lots of people on Facebook (because we are old and our children are the teenagers) have a personalized Avatar-maybe it could connect that way and pull in the Avatar.
As for teens, so many do the BeReal pics, maybe there’s a way to somehow connect that to the trail cam or inboard image so if their BeReals happen while driving they could initiate something that includes them and the Scout they are driving.
Would be cool to have the info include your home state as well then you could see if you could connect with all states-like the state quarters from like 10-15 years ago.
As a social media connection this is a cool idea. Not sure I’d use it much but I think younger gen would

I have the Bronco "wave" factory built into the softtop side windows which from an engineering standpoint were designed and built wrong.

A town mountie needs to pull over the daughter with the viewing obstructions on her dash. Just like fuzzy dice and even graduation tassels and odor eaters hanging from mirrors are against st most motor vehicle laws

• Haha
Reactions: J Alynn
Almost everyone in a Rivian waves back to each other. I think it is more in recognition that you took a chance on something new and something different, and that you understand that the driver in the other vehicle probably went through the same thought process in acquiring a new vehicle from a new company (and accepted some degree of risk in the process), and that you have maybe something in common. It is a bit of acknowledgement that each driver is on their own journey, but that they are sort of sharing in it in some way. Not to mention, it is pretty obvious when you approach another Rivian in a Rivian. I actually hope it continues, bc there are enough unfriendly drivers!

From a technical stand point you could have a RFID in the Scout logo for a variety of reasons, including this one. The RFID would hold the VIN of the Scout, nothing more. But in the app the VIN is connected to the owner. So by "tapping" the Scout logo you use NFT (like Andriod/iPhone payment/contact share) to read the RFID with the Scout app, send a short message and pic/avatar to the VIN. The app directs that to the owner and vehicle to share or ignore. And the only identifying info sent along from the start is the VIN and whatever you want to include in message and avatar.

Another reason for RFID in the Scout logo is for service center to immediately recognize the vehicle and streamline the service process. You drive in and by the time you stop and get out or greet the service person they already have your VIN and service info ready.

Could also be used in similar fashion at charging stations so that by the time you plug in the charger already has your vehicle and account pulled up and ready. If wireless charging ever takes off then this probably speeds that up a lot.

We have SunPass here in Florida. Along with EZpass in north east. I wonder if those toll systems could work with this system??

Jason

This can all happen from the vehicle's mobile app without RFID (assuming Scout will have a mobile app, which they will), and if you have a loaded payment credential inside the app or your account, charging can be initiated by simply plugging in. The app communicates with the vehicle, can be used to initiate SW updates, shows things like VIN, mileage, current SW, SOC, etc. I only raise this bc the app really becomes a very useful tool for EV owners (more so than for traditional ICE vehicles in my opinion). When charging at other non-proprietary chargers, the vehicle will also communicate SOC information and enable notifications through 3rd party apps when charging is close to complete or done. This can be important so you do not incur additional charges (idle fees) should you plug-in and leave your vehicle, and charging is completed. Just one example.

This can all happen from the vehicle's mobile app without RFID (assuming Scout will have a mobile app, which they will), and if you have a loaded payment credential inside the app or your account, charging can be initiated by simply plugging in. The app communicates with the vehicle, can be used to initiate SW updates, shows things like VIN, mileage, current SW, SOC, etc. I only raise this bc the app really becomes a very useful tool for EV owners (more so than for traditional ICE vehicles in my opinion). When charging at other non-proprietary chargers, the vehicle will also communicate SOC information and enable notifications through 3rd party apps when charging is close to complete or done. This can be important so you do not incur additional charges (idle fees) should you plug-in and leave your vehicle, and charging is completed. Just one example.
But can a random passerby still “duck” you without the RFID? Wouldn’t app only require the phone to be adjacent and/or the car running? Just wondering-as stated before this side of vehicle tech floats above me 😀

I am guessing that there are privacy concerns and probably some need to "opt-in" - such that each owner would need to opt-in to have some sort of duck-like virtual interaction, but what do I know? All I know is that that sort of tech (either through the app or RFID or some other means) would require significant development, so feature-wise, would likely be less of a priority on the SW roadmap, but again, no clue!

Only advantage RFID adds is less time to perform handshake. Not really needed, but can make the process work faster. Example: your VIN is read as you drive into the area and a charger is prepped for your arrival, can even direct you to open charger based on your needs. We have "fast" chargers at work that take a couple minutes to "handshake" with the car THEN ramp up to begin charging. But if your VIN was read as you rolled in the driveway then the system could direct you to an open charger and have it ready to immediately start charging. I'm sure there will be other concierge type services that could be setup with that as well. Maybe involving the app or Infotainment program you could give some details such as destination, food/drink preferences, disabilities, etc. so when you arrive.

Could even set up charger destinations like drive in (Sonic Drive In) restaurant. Just spit balling ideas.

Oh, as for privacy - the RFID would just be the VIN which is on the dash of every car. The Scout App can be designed to keep it anonymous.

Jason