EV focused suggestions

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I despise the Ford code buttons. Design wise they look like an afterthought. If they could be more hidden I would like the idea.

The keypad is well hidden on my Explorer into the pillar of the drivers door, and I use it constantly. You can unlock just the drivers door, all the doors, and lock the vehicle all without needing a key. Not sure why they didn't continue to better integrate them in new Bronco etc...
1fc40f78-4ee0-4c18-9cb5-033090ac0507-Lincoln_MKS_keyless_pad.jpg

On my Explorer with a proximity key, as you walk up to the vehicle and grasp the handle with the key in your pocket, the door automatically unlocks. To lock the vehicle, there is a small spot on the handle to touch.

I despise the Ford code buttons. Design wise they look like an afterthought. If they could be more hidden I would like the idea. Why not a smooth, 2”x2” fingerprint scanner by the handle. Technology is all here and then it could be designed into the door handle housing.
I totally agree they look like an after thought. I just like the idea of securing everything in the car while boating or going to the beach or camping and not having to worry about losing keys or dropping them somewhere.

I worry about proximity without a “Touch the handle” scenario as Jamie had mentioned. Too easy to constantly open door. If you work from home just inside from your car and forget and now your car unlocks.
I haven't had any issues with my car unlocking when I work from home. The proximity that my Tesla unlocks is fairly close. Yes once I walk away it is about 15' until the car locks but coming back to the car to unlock I basically have to be touching the car for it to open. I've had my daughter eagerly run to the car and try to open the door and it won't unlock until I'm arm's length away.

I have moved since I bought my car and now I have it in the garage. The car knows it's location and stays unlocked while it is at home

Reactions: J Alynn
The keypad is well hidden on my Explorer into the pillar of the drivers door, and I use it constantly. You can unlock just the drivers door, all the doors, and lock the vehicle all without needing a key. Not sure why they didn't continue to better integrate them in new Bronco etc...
1fc40f78-4ee0-4c18-9cb5-033090ac0507-Lincoln_MKS_keyless_pad.jpg

On my Explorer with a proximity key, as you walk up to the vehicle and grasp the handle with the key in your pocket, the door automatically unlocks. To lock the vehicle, there is a small spot on the handle to touch.
This definitely looks better than some of the others I’ve seen. I’m recanting my previous comment

It’s like slow close toilet seats. They are fantastic to keep kids from dropping them down until you go to your neighbor’s house and realize they don’t have it and now you made one hell of a commotion. At least they thank you for putting the seat down 😀

I don't know what you're talking about... :D

While this is a bit off topic of vehicle design but ties to the idea of Scoutpost and charging stations.
I think Scout Motors should develop retro style modern PUMPS for recharging.
I think a nod to Route 66 heyday would be great and include chrome and some other cool finishes
Signage on top is logo’d and when NOT in use the upper sign glows. That way at 6pm in the winter as you are approaching you’d be able to see if there are empty spaces. When in use the light would go out.
Then on the sides it could light up as you charge so while you’re sitting at the outdoor daiquiri bar you can track progress.
The attached drawing isn’t my best work and I had cheap markers but I did my best as a quick idea.

Attachments

• EV pumps.jpg
    EV pumps.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 9
I really like the proximity lock/unlock feature of the tesla....I've gotten so used to it whenever i drive my wife's car i forget to lock it when we walk away. I think often if there is a key fob it will make things more complex. I really like the tesla idea of having the keycard as a back up and having the phone as a primary key. One thing that would be nice would be something like the Ford keypad where you can lock and unlock your vehicle useing the keypad...this would allow you to leave your keys and stuff in the vehicle while you go to the beach or some other place and not have to worry about it.
Phone as a key with a card backup is great. I really liked that with my former Tesla. I have a BMW iX now and it has the phone as a key feature. It works well but not as good as Tesla. But, the BMW still has bulky key fobs which I do not like to carry. The benefit of the fob is that it has an actual key in it and the iX has a little hidden access in the door handle in case you need to use an actual key to get in. Maybe Scout could have the best of both worlds. Phone as a key and a slim card that will fit in your wallet or pocket with an actual key embedded in the card just in case. Bingo!

Phone as a key with a card backup is great. I really liked that with my former Tesla. I have a BMW iX now and it has the phone as a key feature. It works well but not as good as Tesla. But, the BMW still has bulky key fobs which I do not like to carry. The benefit of the fob is that it has an actual key in it and the iX has a little hidden access in the door handle in case you need to use an actual key to get in. Maybe Scout could have the best of both worlds. Phone as a key and a slim card that will fit in your wallet or pocket with an actual key embedded in the card just in case. Bingo!
That would be cool if the fob had some kind of utility to it, like a multitool that's also a fob. It has the backup key, but could also have a flathead, a Phillips head, maybe a light. I'm not sure the exact tools at the moment, but a multitool fob sounds rad.

I'd like to echo the no piano black thing. It never looks good. It always looks cheap and dirty. Do fake wood if you have to but no piano black.

For the EV charge port cover, what I'd like to see is one that's designed to shelter the charge connector from above to minimize the amount of snow and freezing rain that can get in there while the vehicle charges overnight. It doesn't need to be fancy, and it definitely shouldn't be motorized. Just a simple door that's held open by a spring mechanism and is designed in such a way that when it's open it acts as a bit of a roof over the charge port.

Nissan almost accomplished it with the first gen Leaf. I have an early Leaf and the door is simple, always works, the spring holds it up and it almost does the roof thing but the angle it opens isn't quite right so snow tends to slide off an into the charge port. They were so close to a good design! My Ioniq 5's door opens to the side and is motorized. Totally hopeless in the snow and if the motor gets jammed it throws up an error code and the car gets really upset about it. Not good. The charging door situation is probably the worst thing about the Ioniq 5, I guess it needed to have at least one or two faults. The port gets filled with snow on both cars which can be more than a nuisance.

I've had the actual charging receptacle have snow get in and what happens is the charge plug will go in and work but it melts the snow while the car charges which then later becomes ice inside the connector so the next time you go to charge it won't go all the way in and thus won't seat properly so the vehicle doesn't get a good connection and won't charge. So you then first have to realize that's what the issue is and then melt the ice inside the charge plug which is not easy to do and extremely annoying to accomplish in the frigid dark night. Trying to melt ice out of a charging plug that should just work but doesn't because of bad charing port design sucks and always happens on the darkest, coldest night where you can't see what you're doing and can't feel your fingers anymore.

So please, for those of us who live in snowy places, please design it with snow and freezing rain in mind. It doesn't need to be fancy, it needs to be basic and reliable and it needs to open such that the door protects the charge area from falling precipitation a bit. It doesn't need to be a gazebo, it just needs to keep the bulk of the snow out when it's falling hard and fast.

I'd like to echo the no piano black thing. It never looks good. It always looks cheap and dirty. Do fake wood if you have to but no piano black.

For the EV charge port cover, what I'd like to see is one that's designed to shelter the charge connector from above to minimize the amount of snow and freezing rain that can get in there while the vehicle charges overnight. It doesn't need to be fancy, and it definitely shouldn't be motorized. Just a simple door that's held open by a spring mechanism and is designed in such a way that when it's open it acts as a bit of a roof over the charge port.

Nissan almost accomplished it with the first gen Leaf. I have an early Leaf and the door is simple, always works, the spring holds it up and it almost does the roof thing but the angle it opens isn't quite right so snow tends to slide off an into the charge port. They were so close to a good design! My Ioniq 5's door opens to the side and is motorized. Totally hopeless in the snow and if the motor gets jammed it throws up an error code and the car gets really upset about it. Not good. The charging door situation is probably the worst thing about the Ioniq 5, I guess it needed to have at least one or two faults. The port gets filled with snow on both cars which can be more than a nuisance.

I've had the actual charging receptacle have snow get in and what happens is the charge plug will go in and work but it melts the snow while the car charges which then later becomes ice inside the connector so the next time you go to charge it won't go all the way in and thus won't seat properly so the vehicle doesn't get a good connection and won't charge. So you then first have to realize that's what the issue is and then melt the ice inside the charge plug which is not easy to do and extremely annoying to accomplish in the frigid dark night. Trying to melt ice out of a charging plug that should just work but doesn't because of bad charing port design sucks and always happens on the darkest, coldest night where you can't see what you're doing and can't feel your fingers anymore.

So please, for those of us who live in snowy places, please design it with snow and freezing rain in mind. It doesn't need to be fancy, it needs to be basic and reliable and it needs to open such that the door protects the charge area from falling precipitation a bit. It doesn't need to be a gazebo, it just needs to keep the bulk of the snow out when it's falling hard and fast.
I drive the sister to the Ioniq 5, the Genesis GV60, and the charge port door on that swings upward but it's motorized as well. I haven't had to deal with lots of snow and ice yet because I've only had it a few months. But I think these are good insights.

Please make a version with none of the proximity or over the wire controlled locking. It’s just a future failure to me and I have no issues using the mechanical keys on my other vehicles.

Please make a version with none of the proximity or over the wire controlled locking. It’s just a future failure to me and I have no issues using the mechanical keys on my other vehicles.
What we really need is ‘redundancy’ so if a primary system is unable to work a backup system will. That could be a mechanical key or it could be something else. I like the idea of a mechanical key being kept in a small multi-tool.

What I’d love is for my watch to unlock the car - that’s a feature built into Apple Watch that gets things right, it even works if the battery in the watch (or phone) is dead and has really good security in the implementation. It also makes it easy to share a digital ‘key’ with family members. This can be optionally setup so that it does not work with proximity but rather requires you to deliberately tap the watch (or phone) on a discrete pad.

Please no ugly keypads. They are not very secure.

That would be cool if the fob had some kind of utility to it, like a multitool that's also a fob. It has the backup key, but could also have a flathead, a Phillips head, maybe a light. I'm not sure the exact tools at the moment, but a multitool fob sounds rad.
Something like this
1683729360437.jpeg

What we really need is ‘redundancy’ so if a primary system is unable to work a backup system will. That could be a mechanical key or it could be something else. I like the idea of a mechanical key being kept in a small multi-tool.

What I’d love is for my watch to unlock the car - that’s a feature built into Apple Watch that gets things right, it even works if the battery in the watch (or phone) is dead and has really good security in the implementation. It also makes it easy to share a digital ‘key’ with family members. This can be optionally setup so that it does not work with proximity but rather requires you to deliberately tap the watch (or phone) on a discrete pad.

Please no ugly keypads. They are not very secure.
I like Hyundai's implementation in my Ioniq 5. It has a standard key fob which is fine, but inside the fob is a physical key that you can slide out. So most of the time you just use the proximity of the fob to unlock and start the vehicle which I like and is super convenient because you just leave the key in your pocket. I think most modern vehicles do this now so it's expected behaviour.

But, if there's an issue either with the fob or the vehicle there is still a physical key in the fob and a lock hidden behind the door handle on the driver's side so no matter what - even if there's no power to the car or key - you can still gain access which is handy if you have a dead key and a dead 12V battery. There's also RFID in the "start" button so even if you have a dead fob you just press it up against the button and can still turn the car on.

It would be super cool if the fob was more than just a thing with car buttons on it. Like maybe it could have a glass punch or something so you can escape if the vehicle is going underwater, or a flashlight which is always a handy thing to have, something like that.

I like Hyundai's implementation in my Ioniq 5. It has a standard key fob which is fine, but inside the fob is a physical key that you can slide out. So most of the time you just use the proximity of the fob to unlock and start the vehicle which I like and is super convenient because you just leave the key in your pocket. I think most modern vehicles do this now so it's expected behaviour.

But, if there's an issue either with the fob or the vehicle there is still a physical key in the fob and a lock hidden behind the door handle on the driver's side so no matter what - even if there's no power to the car or key - you can still gain access which is handy if you have a dead key and a dead 12V battery. There's also RFID in the "start" button so even if you have a dead fob you just press it up against the button and can still turn the car on.

It would be super cool if the fob was more than just a thing with car buttons on it. Like maybe it could have a glass punch or something so you can escape if the vehicle is going underwater, or a flashlight which is always a handy thing to have, something like that.
Hondas and Acuras are set up the same way. I like the idea of the watch but I do t wear and Apple Watch and don’t want to spend the money to buy one. I wish the key card idea could incorporate a signal so it just always lives inside my wallet since I always have that with license

Hondas and Acuras are set up the same way. I like the idea of the watch but I do t wear and Apple Watch and don’t want to spend the money to buy one. I wish the key card idea could incorporate a signal so it just always lives inside my wallet since I always have that with license
The Apple Watch implementation works alongside other systems. So there would be no need for anyone to buy a watch to unlock their car.

Adding this integration would be a really big added convenience for those that wear the watch and added security for those looking for that. Being able to send friends or family members a digital car key is also handy, since you usually only get two fobs when you buy a vehicle.

These days, wallets are often shielded to block RF to prevent people’s cards from getting scanned by thieves. That would prevent a key card in a wallet from working for many people.

I’m looking forward to a time when I won’t have to carry keys or a wallet and technology is gradually removing the reasons to do so. Car keys is an important part of that alongside smart locks, digital drivers licenses, digital health insurance card, digital store cards, digital payments etc.