A Tall Order

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
It will be hard to call anything a Rivian knock off just because it will be an electric off road SUV. that would be like saying every off road SUV is a jeep knock off. the vehicles will attract different customers....i Rivian attracts more of the "LL Bean" crowd, while i think the Scout is aiming more for the "Bass pro shop" style of customer.
I would argue that every off road SUV is a Scout knock off

I realize that VW is likely to go down the luxury route with the new scout. I get it that luxury is where the money is at. It’s not a Complaint. Just a realization that is where the ev market is presently.

However, if you want brand loyalty and to make everyone happy. I think that a low-cost, utilitarian, work horse that can be customized in regard to the suspension, power, and personalization would be an amazing second model. (Like the original VW Beetle)

For example, make the battery swapable because:
1) battery technologies will continue to improve
2) batteries could be multi-use like camping, off grid or something along that line.
3) Range anxiety/charging time would no longer be an excuse
4) plus, it is a expensive and senseless to own batteries that only work with one product or brand.

I realize that VW is likely to go down the luxury route with the new scout. I get it that luxury is where the money is at. It’s not a Complaint. Just a realization that is where the ev market is presently.

However, if you want brand loyalty and to make everyone happy. I think that a low-cost, utilitarian, work horse that can be customized in regard to the suspension, power, and personalization would be an amazing second model. (Like the original VW Beetle)

For example, make the battery swapable because:
1) battery technologies will continue to improve
2) batteries could be multi-use like camping, off grid or something along that line.
3) Range anxiety/charging time would no longer be an excuse
4) plus, it is a expensive and senseless to own batteries that only work with one product or brand.
Most EVs have batteries that are fairly easily swapped at a service center. They are sort of build like a skateboard.

If you are talking swap it at home or take it with you camping without the truck. The truck EV batteries are 2k to >3k lbs. how are you going to move the battery?

The original model s had an easily removable battery with the concept of battery swaps for long trips. It didn’t work.

I swapped to an electric snow blower (2 stage Toro, it is way better than the Honda I replaced it with) the winter, in in Alaska we are sitting at just over 35’ of snow at my house so far this winter with another 6-8 weeks of possible snow. I’ll swap my mower for a toro that takes the same 60v this summer, great concept.

So think about this. Total it has 1.2 kWh of battery that weighs 22 lbs. the cyber truck has a battery that is 112x larger. The Silverado has a battery that is 183x larger.

Im at 9 years with 2 Teslas. Currently almost 6 years with my model 3 and I’ve lost 2%. My max range was 315 miles now it is 308. These batteries are going to last a long time.

It is a tall order - depending on how you look at it. To sell to the masses, it will NEED to be a completely modern vehicle with most if not all the doohickeys the public wants. If you want a vehicle without those things, there are basically 2 ways to do it. You can get an old vehicle, or a stripped vehicle (and even then, it will always have stuff you probably don't want).

Now from Scouts perspective, there is that simple option. They will NEED to make a completely modern vehicle - there is no doubt. But if they want to, they could also sell a very stripped limited edition in limited numbers. It will not be drastically cheaper to make - those functions really don't cost that much in the grand scheme of production costs. It is not going to sell in huge quantities, and honestly even if made it will be a special order. It will not be extreamly profitable, hell it might be a complete loss for them. BUT it could be effective advertising.

I guess my 2 biggest fears are an electric Jeep Patriot - something no milktoast that nobody gets interested - and well, nothing. Third fear is something so expensive that even the few who can afford it, know it is a statement. 2 of the last 4 vehicles I have watched went down the nothing road. One of each on the other 2 paths. Well not completely true - one managed to be too expensive and too unremarkable. The other is too expensive and too much of a statement I guess - it is quite remarkable.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
It is a tall order - depending on how you look at it. To sell to the masses, it will NEED to be a completely modern vehicle with most if not all the doohickeys the public wants. If you want a vehicle without those things, there are basically 2 ways to do it. You can get an old vehicle, or a stripped vehicle (and even then, it will always have stuff you probably don't want).

Now from Scouts perspective, there is that simple option. They will NEED to make a completely modern vehicle - there is no doubt. But if they want to, they could also sell a very stripped limited edition in limited numbers. It will not be drastically cheaper to make - those functions really don't cost that much in the grand scheme of production costs. It is not going to sell in huge quantities, and honestly even if made it will be a special order. It will not be extreamly profitable, hell it might be a complete loss for them. BUT it could be effective advertising.

I guess my 2 biggest fears are an electric Jeep Patriot - something no milktoast that nobody gets interested - and well, nothing. Third fear is something so expensive that even the few who can afford it, know it is a statement. 2 of the last 4 vehicles I have watched went down the nothing road. One of each on the other 2 paths. Well not completely true - one managed to be too expensive and too unremarkable. The other is too expensive and too much of a statement I guess - it is quite remarkable.
I would argue a stripped down,’hand built’ basic model will cost the same or more than a mid-level Scout just because it doesn’t run down the production line with a 2-hour build time.
Honestly I’m interested in something more than bare bones-(ie-Bronco outer banks level). I think a bare bones would be great for those wanting it but I think your statements are dead on that the common media and tech items don’t really cost/save much-they just allow the manufacturers to apply a better mark up to help their profit margins. And that’s not a complaint-just the reality of business.