So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
From the media files on the Scout forum I have to say this detail would be cool IMHO. Maybe it’s inset in a metal/chrome detail or molded right into dash material. If dash has a leather or leather look finish an embossed or even branded logo would be a unique demarcation.
Seeing the new Acura Integra with the inset lettering on the bumper to pay homage to the original is a nice, not-so-subtle Easter egg.

Attachments

• Scout dash.PNG
    Scout dash.PNG
    268.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: hmcd
How about suicide rear doors with full roll cage of course.

Attachments

• watch-video-convertible-fully-restored-suicide-doors-61-62-63-64-65-66-12.jpg
    watch-video-convertible-fully-restored-suicide-doors-61-62-63-64-65-66-12.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2011-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Extended-Cab-door.jpg
    2011-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Extended-Cab-door.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 14
I hope you might change the look of the Scout: the current, trendy "Squished Window" look is bad. And soon it will be over. Put real windows back and balance the top and bottom look of the Scout. Less curvy and more straight lines. More truck-like (and not like current sissy trucks).
Make it LOOK more like a Scout instead of another "looks-like-everything else that is the trend now" with a Scout logo.
Land Rover's new Defender is a horrid do-over of the NAS Defender ('93-97): lost all of the classic look and lines, inside and out.
Obviously, a new Scout has to be modernized compared to the final 1980 model, but please do more than just put a badge on a squished, rounded plush vehicle and make it look more like a Scout: inside and out.

( I admit I am old school, but I loved my Scouts: first was a used '72 Scout II (had from '77'83) and 2nd was a '67 Scout 800 (had from '89 to ''94)

the current, trendy "Squished Window" look is bad
It's not just the visuals but the functionality. Visibility is the obvious one, and then there's the nausea as well. Has anyone been a passenger of a new Camaro?

The more external environment that is in your field of view, the less motion sick you'll get. The more interior you see, the more motion sick you get. Everyone has an intuitive understanding that when motion percieved by your inner ear and body doesn't match your view, it tends to result in motion sickness. There's more to it than that, though.

The effect of a turning visual motion resulting in a feeling of motion is greater in your peripheral vision than central vision:
Also, try watching a fullscreen dashcam video from a car driving on a highway or a racing game. Move forward and backward to fill in your field of view with more or less of the video as it plays. Or make cardboard cutouts that cover your peripheral vs central vision. In any of these scenarios, your perception of speed also dramatically changes as you increase the visual flow in your peripheral vision.

This all means that the resulting nausea is even greater than you might expect when things like the A-pillar, roof, and dash are all blocking parts of your peripheral vision when you have a car with a high beltline and short front/side glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
I liked it at first - but the more I looked at it, the more it looked like just another SUV. I hate the squished windows, don't love the huge blind spot. Not a huge fan of the rear window angle. While harder to work with - not a fan of vehicles that look chunky. What I mean by that... Look at the Hummer EV, it looks like they bolted a 4" battery pack underneath and said good enough. Honestly, I put seat risers in my Jeep - I don't need to see tree tops, I need to see down. But a lot of newer vehicles seem to want that look. The side pannels are just to tall. A lot of modern trucks look like they grew a few inches in the middle. Instead of athletic, they look kind of obese. Not to mention the pig nose they put on a lot of them. Honestly I think the new LC Prada got a lot right in ditching that trend.

Add to it, this is supposed to be a capable offroad vehicle. Limiting the downward field of view is not a great thing when you are trying to navogate obsticles. Probably why a lot of off road vehcies end up with removable doors. You simple can see better. Narrow windows might make sense in an armoured vehicle - but not a fun offroad vehicle.

Another issue with the narrow windows is the window ledge is too high. Try reaching an ATM Keypad - you have to either open the door or get out of your seat. No chance in leaning out the window to see where your tires are.

Hello everyone and welcome to the forum!

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Seems to be Land Rover and Bronco influence to me. I like the billboard style side panels, some curve but I'm hoping that it is fairly flat.

For the SUV, I think it is imperative the rear lower quarter-panel needs to have the correct angle. That is a classic Scout II design, with the upward sweeping rear panel. Similarly, the angle of the top needs to be accurate, with a strong line toward the front of the vehicle. It looks like both of these angles were included in the concept drawing. Also, the front needs to be flat. Modern cars are becoming too rounded off, a Scout has sharp angles, and I like how the front looks to be a sharp flat edge. One thing I love about driving the Scout II's is you know exactly where your front end it when maneuvering on the trails or in the parking lot, because they are so flat at the front and you can see right up to the edge from the drivers seat. Lastly, please use circular headlights. No lights that go all the way across like on the ford Lightning, just two circular lights. Also having the blinkers as a separate rectangular light below the headlights would be quite cool. Also having separated side-marker lights would be an awesome touch too, and it is a simple way to make the car feel like a classic.

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Love the design of the truck - please offer a front bench seat and I am all in!

Reactions: ddg520 and J Alynn
Equus drew inspiration from the Scout. 2-dr SWB

M_Final-2022M_Jpeg8.jpg
It's a good looking truck! If you'd square off the rear end and it would have more of a Scout silhouette.

Reactions: J Alynn and ddg520
If you look at some of the original Scout X (Scout II) prototypes, circa 1967, Ted Ornas played with several body contours and character lines. Initial versions of the removable 'Traveltop' showed the rear side glass with no part of the top sheet metal under the glass atop the quarters; nor at the leading edge behind the front door frameless roll-down windows. I believe that is why the final production Scout II Traveltop has just a vestigial thin portion of a B pillar and sheet metal under the rear side glass (no doubt due to practical cost, sealing and assembly issues). That original version also gives a great 'hardtop' affect and keeps the beltline, open, straight and seamless with the rear side glass being the same height as the front.
So now with the EV Scout four-door, a frameless-window rear door can reflect the front and have a fixed quarter vent window at the rear so the main glass can retract all the way down in the rear door, even with a rear wheel-well intrusion. Fixed (or removable) side/quarter windows behind the rear doors can also have the Scout II-like rear-most pillar up-kick. Of course, an integral roll-over protection cage will be there to support A, B and C pillars (like Bronco and Wrangler) but the glazing could still project over it and be seamless, functional and very Scout-like. You could even use flat glass, like the originals, to save cost!
I know this stuff, by now, is cast in stone, but it is fun to play with Scout designs.

Reactions: J Alynn
I liked it at first - but the more I looked at it, the more it looked like just another SUV. I hate the squished windows, don't love the huge blind spot. Not a huge fan of the rear window angle. While harder to work with - not a fan of vehicles that look chunky. What I mean by that... Look at the Hummer EV, it looks like they bolted a 4" battery pack underneath and said good enough. Honestly, I put seat risers in my Jeep - I don't need to see tree tops, I need to see down. But a lot of newer vehicles seem to want that look. The side pannels are just to tall. A lot of modern trucks look like they grew a few inches in the middle. Instead of athletic, they look kind of obese. Not to mention the pig nose they put on a lot of them. Honestly I think the new LC Prada got a lot right in ditching that trend.

Add to it, this is supposed to be a capable offroad vehicle. Limiting the downward field of view is not a great thing when you are trying to navogate obsticles. Probably why a lot of off road vehcies end up with removable doors. You simple can see better. Narrow windows might make sense in an armoured vehicle - but not a fun offroad vehicle.

Another issue with the narrow windows is the window ledge is too high. Try reaching an ATM Keypad - you have to either open the door or get out of your seat. No chance in leaning out the window to see where your tires are.
Yes, the hood design on Toyota's Land Cruiser Prado is a major step in the right direction; my '23 Tundra has some of that but not enough. If the pickup is to be functional as a pickup (not a suburban must-have) then design must follow function. We need to see our surroundings - that means sitting high up, not obscured by high door sides and high long hoods. We need to be able to see out and place each wheel precisely, whether off-roading or bringing a load of materials to a construction site. There apparently is some safety requirement now that makes it impossible to drive with the door open. Several times I had to drive a Scout from dock to a boat on a ramp of 2x12s. I very much needed the door open so I could check wheel position, not to mention the possible emergency exit if that yellow pine wasn't cooperating. I'm sure the off-road crowd and others like me who did research in odd places would appreciate an override of that nanny regulation.

Good news with these modern iterations - you get lots of ways to view your surroundings (much better than opening a door on one side of the truck) with cameras... Just depends on how many cameras and angles there are with the new Scout. One reason why a big center screen is also nice. We have had a few SW updates with the R1T that have made the camera functions even better than they were at launch, and they can be integrated into functions like "tow mode" for example. All new tech ain't all bad!

Good news with these modern iterations - you get lots of ways to view your surroundings (much better than opening a door on one side of the truck) with cameras... Just depends on how many cameras and angles there are with the new Scout. One reason why a big center screen is also nice. We have had a few SW updates with the R1T that have made the camera functions even better than they were at launch, and they can be integrated into functions like "tow mode" for example. All new tech ain't all bad!
Maybe. I have all those cameras on my Tundra and I marvel at the computer work that melds them into continuous images with minimal distortion. That one where they simulate a drone hovering 15' above the truck is like WOW. They are wonderful, mostly. But there are times when the light is wrong and a contrasty shadow falls in the wrong spot that I cannot see what I need to see. Try full bright sun directly in front and the shadow of the tailgate covering the ball and trailer tongue. It might as well be midnight back there with surrounding brilliance.

PLUS, I thought that SM was trying to bring the new Scout to us at pretty reasonable prices. That kind of camera system can't be cheap; I'd be happy with just the single required backup cam as long as it showed the hitch most of the time.

View attachment 8

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Very exciting. They look great. Will Scout be taking pre-order deposits?

Very exciting. They look great. Will Scout be taking pre-order deposits?
Yes. We will let everyone know on our end as soon as we can.

On a side note, our first year anniversary of the forums is next week on the 14th. I would encourage anyone you know that is interested in the new Scout to register in the forums to get 1st Year Member status as there will be perks to having that status in the future. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes. We will let everyone know on our end as soon as we can.

On a side note, our first year anniversary of the forums I next week the 14th. I would encourage anyone you know that is interested in the new Scout to register in the forums to get 1st Year Member status as there will be perks to having that status in the future. :cool:
WOW. Can’t believe we’ve been on this almost a year already. That’s crazy. We should celebrate!!! Maybe a sneak-peek event 😂😂😂😂HaHaHaHaHa