So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I’ll be the devils advocate here but the notion of buying a $40K (SM already said low 40’s so unfortunately I don’t think $35K is possible. Average new car price in US is $48K. An SUV/EV less than 40 won’t happen) back to point-$40K plus your $5-$8K for off-road goodies (if it stops there) and 20 minutes later flipping your Scout on Satan’sSpine or the Devil’s back or whatever trail you decide to take your $50K new Scout on and it is Done. I get buying a Scout or Bronco that is 30 years old, finding the joy in rebuilding (to whatever level you choose) then enjoying the outdoors in it. At that point dents and trail stripes are a badge of honor. I’ve bounced on and off Bronco6G forum as I’m paying for one currently (for daughter-technically she’s paying me via bank of parents loan) and considered a second. I can’t for the life of me imagine buying a $50K+ vehicle and destroying it several weeks later.
I also think the base Bronco was discontinued because there wasn’t enough margin for Ford and there were enough sales/orders on the higher end trims to justify killing it. That’s what the forum implied and I’m prone to believe that.
I think people are better off letting the “gotta have it crowd” rush out, take a line of credit to pay for one they can’t afford prior to selling it for pennies on the dollar making it a PRIME buy for off roading.
I think the Scout needs to be a lifestyle vehicle that caters to many and can be optioned in reasonably affordable ways to suit as many buyers as possible. Material pricing and the lovely new UAW wage rates dictate where the vehicle costs will be and if they/SM can add another $200 in products/features and price it $5K higher they’d be crazy not to. General business strategies dictate the need to add, not subtract to succeed in profitability. I just ordered a pair of Keen hiking boots as my local dealer was out of my size. $145 and when she pulled it up on screen to verify color the price (their price) was $72.50. I realize automobile mark ups aren’t anywhere close to 100% but stripping down a vehicle as a new sale doesn’t allow success when certain features cost “pennies” to make and sell for $100’s.
Acura just eliminated 2wd on the RDX and is going right to AWD. If you read enough many companies are dropping base level products.
I truly do hope SM starts with a basic Scout and builds scaled options and packages so we can all have what we need/want. But sadly, at a minimum, if SM wants to hit sales margins they almost have to play “keep up with the Jone’s”. On top of that, the younger generation doesn’t want basic commodity products. Everything has to be authentic, have a story and be built by hand so-to-speak and all the bulls**t they expect so SM will almost be forced if they want to succeed long term

For some price perspective, the average new car price in 1980 was ~$7,000. The base price of a new Scout in 1980 was $8,017 - 14.5% higher than the average car. The average new car price in 2023 is ~$48,000. If I do a little math, that makes a theoretical 2023 Scout ~$55,000 and that is a BASE Scout. Cars are expensive and the Scout was always more than a car.
Of course I hope it is less than $55k but that's not unreasonable based on inflation.
FYI, I got the values from a Bing search. They may not be perfect but probably close.

Honestly, I think it looks too bulky. Also looks a lot like the new Land Cruiser. Hopefully I'm proven wrong once real images come out!

I love the look of the SUV version! Something about the proportions of a Scout have inspired so many other iconic vehicles: K5, Bronco II, Defender 90.
The pickup version looks like a hotter Rivian, and that's not a bad thing.
I'm in!

I love the look of the SUV version! Something about the proportions of a Scout have inspired so many other iconic vehicles: K5, Bronco II, Defender 90.
The pickup version looks like a hotter Rivian, and that's not a bad thing.
I'm in!
I do wish they'd kept the removable hard-top.
That's what has kept me from moving on from my K5. Other vehicles have come and gone, but the convertible 4x4 is a Jack of many trades.

I like the ideas so far. I definitely feel like there's a need for a removable top. The jeep has been alone for a long time in that arena and now the bronco is super popular. I also hope the price point is good. There's too many overpriced vehicles on the market nowadays. I hope there's at least a simplified version for people who don't want tv screens and a bunch of fancy electronics. Thank you for reviving such an iconic brand. I currently own a 1980 scout and am hoping this will be my first electric vehicle pirchase!

Honestly they look pretty good but I'm getting the sense from the rendering that it won't have a removable top. That would be a 100% deal breaker for me and most of my Scout buddies.

I hope I am wrong because I'm dying for a new Scout.

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_152925~2.jpg
    IMG_20180804_152925~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Bodie
Honestly they look pretty good but I'm getting the sense from the rendering that it won't have a removable top. That would be a 100% deal breaker for me and most of my Scout buddies.

I hope I am wrong because I'm dying for a new Scout.
The blue looks amazing!

Reactions: azollne2
I really like the concept. I wonder if a actual lift gate / tail gate would be welcomed by the customers. A one piece lift gate does make it easier to load / unload items in the cargo area, however the tail gate is much welcomed for actual "tailgating", camping, gathering, etc. .. that said I admit to taking shelter from gentle rains by standing under the opened liftgate of a Scout Traveler. As far as the drive line... well let's see what direction it starts to go. Lots of options with electric powered platforms -- central motor driving individual wheel hydro motors, more traditional set-ups that are on the market now but more substantial and durable with better water forging capabilities.... All very interesting. Thanks for taking the legacy seriously while looking to the Future. The original Scout had several "first" along the way. It looks as if perhaps that part of the legacy may continue going forward as well. I hope there is some contributions to design and manufacturing from Navistar as that will go along way in making some of us feel more secure with the platform. With all the current and ongoing future designs with the larger trucks and Navistar Defense programs one can't help but think that some of that knowledge could be useful in bringing together the needed talent and experience for the all new Scout. Wishing the new scout team every success!!
YESSSSS!!!! Give me a tailgate

Just calling what it is. A Wagon Master and a chopped TravelAll.....The ONLY thing jeep did right by going 4 door was getting the rear seat OFF the rear axle. SCOUT II didn't have that BS for passengers and had had MUCH more cargo capacity. Extended cab door at best. Don't rush to failure.

Just realized it's been over a year that the first design was shown to us. I wonder how much it's changed since then and look forward to a second look at them again 😁
Those first sketches were very early versions before we brought on our head of design, Chris Benjamin. It has evolved quite a bit for sure. Less than a year and you will know.

Hello everyone and welcome to the forum!

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
I am currently interested in the pickup and I love the fact the steep approach angles and helping the general shape of the traditional 1200d model truck that is what is appealing to me personally.

Topless topless topless. My favorite part about the Scout is the unique topless feature. That must be retained in the new EV Scout. Very excited to get my name on the list of buyers.

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Definitely appreciate the nod to past Scout designs. Brings me back to my childhood!!!

Reactions: sckinton

View attachment 8

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Looks BA!! Definitely like both, although I would prefer the truck myself! Looks like it DEMANDS dominance on and off the road. Kinda like a Pitt Bull showing up at a Chihuahua party!

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
From the 1 dimensional side silhouette picture, it's on the right track. It looks like a scout. Rear side window shape is important to get right.
That rear side window shape is only iconic for the last 10 years of Scout. Square with rounded corners is just as iconic.