So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
If you are trying to create “through the roof” demand for this thing, you are definitely going to have to one-up Wrangler and Bronco in some ways that are meaningful to the hard core (or wanna be hard core) off-road enthusiasts. What hooked me on the Bronco was the many ways they one upped the Wrangler in some very well thought out ways, such as easy to remove body panels, mirrors that stay on when doors are removed, many integrated attach points, 35s available from the factory across all trims etc. A lot of Bronco and Wrangler owners will need a very compelling reason to make the move to electric. There is one huge thing that would make them all drool with envy, portal axles. Ground clearance is king in off roading, and portals are such a simple (yet very pricey in the aftermarket ) way to accomplish that without having to unsafely alter suspension geometry. Also if there were a designed-in location for a winch in the frunk so that approach angles dont suffer, that would be huge. Adding some things like that and being sure to Include things these folks will require, such as removable top and doors and available lockers, and you will have them lining up to take their money IMHO.

Last edited:
I hope payload is a major consideration. With the battery pack weighing a large amount of the chassis there needs to emphasis on weight/materials used. Lets take the Rivian R1t for comparison at 1315 lbs of rated payload. That is fine for passenger use, but add any number accessories to the vehicle and you have a very limited window of operation, especially offroad. I would love to see that figure in the 1800's.

I like the idea of have the convertible hardtop, but I wouldn't rule out a tin top or fixed shell that would allow the items to be mounted to roof. Would need at least 350 lbs static rating or higher. Many will be adding rooftop tents and recovery gear to the roof.

For the pick up I would like to see a regular sized bed with flat bed rails. I know that aero is always determining factor in EV's, but I don't see significant loss by have this part of the design. I would like to put a standard bed shell / camper right on top of the bed. Not possible with the Rivian, or even gas equivalent Jeep Gladiator. Yes, there are options for theirs but the the bed is simply too narrow to mount cheaper / standard options.
teaser2-2111320_0.jpg

Reactions: J Alynn
I‘m new to the forum but a huge fan of the designs.…especially the truck. Currently own a 2000 Wrangler that is known as Taz…because it’s a beast…my second car is an EV Ford Mach e. My next car will be a truck…I like the Rivian and the Ford F150 Lightning…but could be persuaded to wait for the Scout Truck if what I’m seeing in the concepts is where it ends up. Live in FL now but from SC so pumped to see the selection of Columbia for production. Huge for SC! Long family history of Ford employees in Detroit going back to 1918 so took a chance on their transformational EV and love it. Solid well built and fast…have had it for two years now and can’t take it anywhere without folks asking me what I think about it. One problem is range...so my next EV will need more range…ask that you make that a priority. Was one of the first to get the Mach e and Ford teased the purchase from manufacturer option but in the end had to go through the dealer to make it happen. Shockingly the dealer was great and honored the Ford online price. Given the demand not the case now I’ve heard. So would luv to see Scout have the option to bypass the dealer in the transaction. Based on what I’m seeing this seems like a transformational truck for VWUSA looking forward to seeing where it goes - good luck!

I'm pretty sure that the R1T payload is not 1315, but rather 1760.

Payload and Towing Capacity

• Ford F-150 Lightning: Up to 10,000 lbs towing, 2,235 lbs payload
  • Rivian R1T: Up to 11,000 lbs towing, 1,760 lbs payload
  • GMC Hummer EV: Up to 7,500 lbs towing, 1,300 lbs payload
  • Tesla Cybertruck: Up to 14,000 lbs towing, 3,350 lbs payload (est. )

we will see what the cyber truck actually tows....besides who knows the scout might beat it to the market lol

No doubt. That would be awesome, and I would love to see that happen! Any so called "specs" for the CT have all been estimates b/c the first version was never going to be street legal, and was all for show & stock hype.

I believe you could get to that number with right tires and lack options. Looks like many sit at 1400-1550 range. The skid plates and tonneau cover must add 300 lbs.

Reactions: Rustic_father
Personally, I think there are a lot of great options out there for payload and towing. The existing mid-sized, 1/2 ton, and larger trucks are tremendously capable and offer good value and reliability. The scout would be compromised if it tried to compete in those areas. I think a 1) relatively small, 2) truly rugged and 3) fun vehicle that 4) can go anywhere, but 5) is super minimalistic and simple (and therefore a reasonable cost) would be in a class of its own.

Something simpler, lower cost, and more unique than a Wrangler but more capable than the independent front suspension Bronco.
True off-road credibility will sell it even if people don't take it off road in my opinion. We want to look like we are going for an adventure when we are actually just driving home from work. In this area, actual suspension articulation would be a differentiator from Bronco, Rivian, Tesla, etc. The only currently sold STOCK vehicle that truly feels good to a seasoned off roader is a Wrangler Rubicon because the suspension articulates a bit. Rivians, Broncos, and 4Runners lift tires and shift weight in a way that does not build confidence on truly challenging trails.

I certainly won't buy a Scout to replace my F150, but I would buy it as a fun and reasonably priced daily driver that I can take on adventures.

One more note: I don't think many buyers are hung up on a ladder frame. The Jeep Cherokee XJ was light and compact for it's time and also reasonably durable . I would think that a better executed version of a unibody chassis could be great.

I can’t wait to see more renders/angles of the new Scout but the official one’s I’ve seen probably would not get me to buy one. The windows are too short (or the beltline is too high) and the back pillar is way too thick. I would prefer a PHEV but EV is acceptable if the range is decent. The top needs to come off. It needs to be off road capable but not necessarily a rock crawler. It needs to not rust :)
My ideal is a modernized Scout II. Looks wise, the Scout II is my all time favorite 4x4 followed by the original Bronco and then the original Scout. I’ve owned all 3 at different times and currently have a 1978 Scout II. The size and proportions of the Scout II are perfect, especially with a lift and at least 33” tires. My next daily driver will either be a the new Bronco or the new Scout. I’m hoping it will be the new Scout.

I can’t wait to see more renders/angles of the new Scout but the official one’s I’ve seen probably would not get me to buy one. The windows are too short (or the beltline is too high) and the back pillar is way too thick. I would prefer a PHEV but EV is acceptable if the range is decent. The top needs to come off. It needs to be off road capable but not necessarily a rock crawler. It needs to not rust :)
My ideal is a modernized Scout II. Looks wise, the Scout II is my all time favorite 4x4 followed by the original Bronco and then the original Scout. I’ve owned all 3 at different times and currently have a 1978 Scout II. The size and proportions of the Scout II are perfect, especially with a lift and at least 33” tires. My next daily driver will either be a the new Bronco or the new Scout. I’m hoping it will be the new Scout.
I agree on the beltline. Renders can look cool with the chopped window look. However, this seems to be counter to the off-road utility heritage. True off-road utility would need a compact body (not to tall from rocker panel to roof) and good visibility out of the cabin. This would need to be real visibility and can't be compensated for by cameras and screens.

Hello everyone and welcome to the forum!

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Looks like the departure angle on the SUV is going to be fantastic.

There are new more environmentally friendly Chrome treatments available now. Plus polishing methods that aren't a pure mirror finish, but close.

We will be pushing hard for multiple color choices. Yes, new factory paint systems can clean nozzles and paint a different color on each car coming down the line. In addition to Audi offering unique colors for an additional fee, Volkswagen offered a "spektrum" color program for the Golf R where it was available in any of these colors for an additional $2,500.

View attachment 825

This did require some unique solutions at the factory to paint them this way, plus factories don't usually stock this many colors, so logistics are an issue.

Different colored roofs will depend on what our roof solution ends up being. Typically though, a contrast roof requires hand masking and additional paint process. You can see some of that with the new VW microbus called the ID Buzz:

Anyway, the team really wants to offer as many choices as we can, so let's see how things shake out. Meanwhile keep the suggestions coming and we'll keep feeding them to the team.

- jamie
I think most people would be happy with any colours other than the standard black, dark grey, light grey, dark blue, and white that literally every car seems to only come in now. It would be amazing if Scout skipped all the conventional colours and only offered vibrant colours instead. You could have a limited selection to keep logistics simple but if you just had say five colours and they were all actual colours with no black/white/grey options I think it would really set the brand apart. VW has some excellent colours in the pic of the Golfs you posted; that yellow top left, bright blue bottom left, both of the greens, that sorta cobalt blue in the middle, literally any of the reds, the orange...those would all be awesome colours for a Scout SUV. All the other offroad brands are just dark and menacing, Jeep people even mod their headlights to look angrier for some reason. I don't want my SUV to look like it's meant to try and scare small children, I just want to have fun and enjoy the outdoors with it. I want people to smile when they see it and not think "oh no, not one of THOSE douches again" (you all know what I'm talking about). It would be nice to have a counter movement to those other brands with a bright and cheery fun offroader. If you want to be angry and grumpy buy a Jeep or Tacoma (because the Jeep's unreliability and poor handling will literally make you grumpy), if you want to be happy and fun buy a Scout. I want a brighter future not a dystopian hellscape.

I am in no means bashing your perspective, RebelliousPeasant, but think we need to consider what is going to sell. If Scout Motors had been around for a while and had the flexibility to experiment then the story may be different. They need to establish market presence and doing so with funky colors probably isn't a very well-calculated move. There is a reason you don't see many orange, lime and off-color cars... people don't want them. Why would a Scout be any different? I own an orange Scout II and absolutely love it. It's different and speaks to an older, vintage time. That time has passed, which is ok.
I, along with most on this thread, am very favorable to the vintage look/feel, but don't think that includes colors that fell out of fashion 40+ years ago. Despite the fact that I own an original orange Scout, I would never buy an orange car now. There's a reason pleats aren't on pants anymore and I don't see them coming back anytime soon :)

Last edited:
I am in no means bashing your perspective, RebelliousPeasant and think we need to consider what is going to sell. If Scout Motors had been around for a while and had the flexibility to experiment then the story may be different. They need to establish market presence and doing so with funky colors probably isn't a very well-calculated move. There is a reason you don't see many orange, lime and off-color cars... people don't want them. Why would a Scout be any different? I own an orange Scout II and absolutely love it. It's different and speaks to an older, vintage time. That time has passed, which is ok.
I, along with most on this thread, am very favorable to the vintage look/feel, but don't think that includes strange colors. Despite the fact that I own an original orange Scout, I would never buy an orange car now. There's a reason pleats aren't on pants anymore and I don't see them coming back anytime soon :)
Your point is well taken, but I respectfully disagree. Scout will sell-out of the first few years of production no matter what they do so why not go for fun colours? (If only for the first few years at least). Now is the time to establish a brand image and offering awesome paint colours is definitely a good way of standing apart from the Broncos and Jeeps of the world and not becoming yet-another-boring-SUV.

You are absolutely right though when it comes to established brands but websites like this tell me Scout wants to foster more of a community than being just another VW or Toyota with hum-drum vehicles. Established brands with typical vehicles are often demand-limited and thus aren't looking for reasons to have people not buy their commodity vehicles so the companies naturally err on the side of caution and only offer colours that are as inoffensive as possible. They'd still be selling beige cars if they could (and some still do!) but luckily tastes have finally mostly moved away from that...mostly.

But Scout is in a unique position where they do have a brand legacy and history of offering some cool colours (if only because of the era they were in) and are also new to the market and looking to shape the brand into something fresh and different. Fun colours may not work for some typical segments of the auto market like sedans and boring cross-overs but that doesn't mean vibrant colours don't work and won't be popular. I'd argue that rugged SUV's are one of the niches (as are muscle cars) where people want to have their vehicles stand out. That's why people mod them so much. People will buy these vehicles partly for practicality but also because they offer something a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV doesn't. Most brands stick with the boring colours because they are competing with other boring cars and want to appeal to rental agency fleets etc so they offer very conservative and neutral colours.

Scout doesn't have to worry about that and can take a gamble on paint choices because they will sell out of all their vehicles for a several years of production either way. Demand for electric vehicles for the next few years will effectively be unlimited so why not try out some more fun paint options? The worst that can happen is that they sell a lot more of one colour than of others and I think people will care more about getting an electric off-road capable vehicle than whether it comes in the usual grey, black or white. If people really want a drab colour they will wrap it but I doubt anyone would wrap a cool orange Scout to 'silver-grey metallic' or 'arctic white gloss'.

Picture a typical parking lot right now, what do you see? An ocean of white, black, dark blue, and various shades of grey with the odd dark red car thrown in. Right? How much would a light green, or orange, or yellow, or even turquoise vehicle stand out among the other boring vehicles? Probably quite a bit and I can only speak for myself but if Scout offered those colour choices I would personally have trouble picking just one because they'd all look really cool.

Personally I hope they take the unique opportunity they currently have and offer only fun colours, there's plenty of time for Scout to become boring later.

Reactions: Bodie and JohnBills
I hear your points, and they are good. I am just trying to think about this pragmatically from a new-launch POV.

There was an unofficial paint color poll that came out on the forum a couple months ago. I actually surprised myself and voted for orange. It was mostly a nostalgia thing and a few days later I came to the realization that I wouldn't buy that color realistically and changed my vote.. Things may change by 2026 but that is how I feel about now and into the foreseeable future. This is purely my subjective opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hear your points, and they are good. I am just trying to think about this pragmatically from a new-launch POV.

There was an unofficial paint color poll that came out on the forum a couple months ago. I actually surprised myself and voted for orange. It was mostly a nostalgia thing and a few days later I came to the realization that I wouldn't buy that color realistically and changed my vote.. Things may change by 2026 but that is how I feel about now and into the foreseeable future. This is purely my subjective opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
We’ve talked about this a lot. I even stated that black, silver, white and gray should be upcharges and colors should be standard. I agree with @lefty from the sales volume standpoint. I think the “bright” colors should all be modern versions of the vintage/historic colors. Keep in mind the folks with more money than God, who can afford any cars they want-buy Audi/Mercedes and BMW and like 85% of those vehicles are black or gray over black interiors. I love seeing the old Scouts in the historic colors. I love seeing a scout in line green too but as much as I like seeing them and they catch my eye I have no desire to drive one all the time. That said I think the color poll Jamie posted that @lefty mentioned shows you where even those of us who are enthusiasts aren’t flocking to the super bold colors but rather the vintage colors. I think there needs to be a middle ground and I do think the bland colors should come with an upcharge of like $399. Win-win for everyone

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant