Silly ideas sometimes inspire good ones, let's hear yours

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Ecca

1st Year Member
Jul 14, 2023
Washington, DC
www.upwork.com
This is the moment to bring out your questionable or ridiculous ideas to see if there are any nuggets of brilliance hidden away.

I want to hear any suggestions that you would be hesitant to actually make.

I'll start with mine, with zero nuggets of brilliance:
  • For the wireless winch controller, integrate RC-car style controls with a tiny steering wheel, limiting speed to a crawl. Even without using the winch, it also means you could be your own spotter using your own eyes and drive the car carefully from the outside. Throw a little gimbal motor and encoder on it for steering controls to mirror the feedback from the actual steering. Tap into the fun and novelty of a giant toy when advertising the option.
  • Speaking of spotting, maybe a removable dashcam streaming to the vehicle's display. If someone steps out to help while holding the dashcam, then the driver can see what they see (instead of the usual distorted stitching of various external cameras that's only good for parking).
  • Besides the commonly suggested platform for sharing off-road trails, have community maps also help answer the question of where the heck is the entrance or parking when I want to do other outdoor activities like camping, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. Keep the site/app open to everyone to make it easier to gather data from many users. then integrate that data on the onboard nav.
  • Faux hub lockers that still serve a genuine function: protect wheels from theft in lieu of locking lug nuts.

Reactions: EScout
I know Scout Motors cannot be called International Harvester, since Case owns the IH name. But, if SM decides to offer trims, it would be cool to have an "International" trim or a "Harvester" trim. Then they could put the trim name on the tailgate next to the SM logo, so it would still say International Scout, with "International" being the trim, not the brand name. I am not expecting this, but it would be quite cool.

Touch Screen windshield..... where you can rack up your kill count on bugs during long road trips!!! connect to other cars on the network for high score prizes....or just braggin rights!

I purchased a new 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon PHEV last November. Loaded and so fun to drive. But alas, after 4 1/2 months, the Jeep was stolen off the street in Montreal. So my suggestion would be: 1. a kill switch, 2. App notification if the car is improperly entered/started or otherwise compromised, 3. A true "disable" function on the app and 4. similar to ADT, offer the ability to "one-touch" alert the Police at the moment of theft (as informed by the app). And 5. Exterior camera capture (similar to Ring doorbells) that would hold video on a cloud server to use as evidence, post theft. The Jeep had NONE of these features of course, and get this...when the car was illegally started, I got an "EMAIL" from Jeep saying they think the car was compromised. Good grief. The Montreal police said there were 5 Jeeps stolen in Montreal that weekend, and that there was NO CHANCE i would ever see my car again. Car theft is nearing crisis levels in this country and anything Scout could do to help would be amazing. I assume, Scout will quickly land on the "most desired to steal list," just as Jeeps and many mid to high end SUVs are today. So now I wait for Scout to arrive. No more Jeep PHEVs.

I purchased a new 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon PHEV last November. Loaded and so fun to drive. But alas, after 4 1/2 months, the Jeep was stolen off the street in Montreal. So my suggestion would be: 1. a kill switch, 2. App notification if the car is improperly entered/started or otherwise compromised, 3. A true "disable" function on the app and 4. similar to ADT, offer the ability to "one-touch" alert the Police at the moment of theft (as informed by the app). And 5. Exterior camera capture (similar to Ring doorbells) that would hold video on a cloud server to use as evidence, post theft. The Jeep had NONE of these features of course, and get this...when the car was illegally started, I got an "EMAIL" from Jeep saying they think the car was compromised. Good grief. The Montreal police said there were 5 Jeeps stolen in Montreal that weekend, and that there was NO CHANCE i would ever see my car again. Car theft is nearing crisis levels in this country and anything Scout could do to help would be amazing. I assume, Scout will quickly land on the "most desired to steal list," just as Jeeps and many mid to high end SUVs are today. So now I wait for Scout to arrive. No more Jeep PHEVs.
I like Canada. Sorry to hear that. Probably US folks who crossed the border. I’ve never met anyone from Canada that isn’t super nice. Genuinely!!!

Reactions: Steven Thibodeau
Would be really cool and nostalgic to offer a “Midas” package/trim level that was an overland package. This could include a panoramic roof, factory rooftop or trunk based tent, bigger tires/wheels, offroad suspension and settings, and offroad telemetry via dash touchscreen.

Reactions: Derek and Scoutsie
Not too long ago, I saw a picture of an upcoming(?) BMW that had a strip across the full width of the bottom of the windscreen onto which was projected your speed/nav etc. Thought that was a great idea. A lot of real estate, out of the way but at max possible distance for a display inside the cabin to be, which makes switching focus to it faster and easier for us older folks (and anyone, actually).

Found it

My wife’s Acura MDX has head-up display and have to say I love it. I get in my car and constantly look at the windshield and remember I don’t have it. It is a great feature. Shows speed, upcoming turn if GPS is on and hers has the posted speed to which is great

Reactions: Scoutsie
My wife’s Acura MDX has head-up display and have to say I love it. I get in my car and constantly look at the windshield and remember I don’t have it. It is a great feature. Shows speed, upcoming turn if GPS is on and hers has the posted speed to which is great
I drove a car with a HUD for a few days. It was cool but slightly distracting due to the novelty. I kept checking how fast I was going every couple seconds because, well, it was there right in front of my face! I can see after one calms down a bit, that it would be great, especially for nav.

This BMW thing is slightly different from a heads up display. Instead of projecting the image on a transparent part of the window (ie all of it) to make the image float in the air, they "paint" the low part of the window opaque black, then project the image onto that. So they can use the bottom strip of window like a super-wide (but not very tall!) computer monitor. Hmmm...perhaps they might be using the same projector for both..

Reactions: J Alynn
I drove a car with a HUD for a few days. It was cool but slightly distracting due to the novelty. I kept checking how fast I was going every couple seconds because, well, it was there right in front of my face! I can see after one calms down a bit, that it would be great, especially for nav.

This BMW thing is slightly different from a heads up display. Instead of projecting the image on a transparent part of the window (ie all of it) to make the image float in the air, they "paint" the low part of the window opaque black, then project the image onto that. So they can use the bottom strip of window like a super-wide (but not very tall!) computer monitor. Hmmm...perhaps they might be using the same projector for both..
The HUD was that way for me at first but after I used it more regularly it was just another tool but really keeps eyes up at prime viewing spot. I like idea of BMW but do you look down to see it or more of a peripheral thing?

Speaking of that as another cool feature though limited. I think an LCD ceiling in rear would be cool for people with babies or if sleeping in back with seats laid flat. Could watch stuff on the ceiling as you weal asleep.

Another "small but big" consideration. A long-standing pet peeve of mine is when car makers insist on putting USB ports near the base of the cupholders. In past cars, 2 BMW's and 1 Acura, i ended up damaging the ports and even blew a the fuse in my cigarette lighter when coffee spilled into the ports. It would be so much better to add ports to the dashboard where convenient areas for phone could rest safely. I've had inductive charging in two BMW's and its never fast enough and certainly not as fast as a direct cable. For now, i'm stuck with the ports in my BMW (near the cupholders), but my Honda has the ports placed on the dash. So in my BMW, I purchased these little rubber plugs to protect the port. They are soft rubber, fit perfectly in the port holes and come in a kit of various sizes and uses for different tech stuff. And quite cheap on amazon. See photo of the standard USP plug from both angles.

Attachments

• USB Plug.JPG
    USB Plug.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
No locking lug nuts from the factory! If I wanted to spot weld my tire to the truck, I'd like to be able to make that decision myself. Also, had too many friends stranded after a flat when the dealer forgot to drop the key socket in the emergency kit.

Under rail lighting for use with tonneau covers would make getting gear out after sundown at the campsite whole lot easier.

Also, bring back the A/C crotch vent!

Reactions: J Alynn
A few suggestions:
1. The Scout II had a ventilation opening just above the floor on the driver and passenger side. There was a lever on the driver’s side that you could push/pull to open and close. I really liked this for providing some breeze for your legs. It is a unique feature, and it would be nice if this were offered.
2. For the pickup, I am a fan of the sliding window on the back of the cab.
3. For the front driver and passenger side windows, is there any chance that you could restore the triangular vent window that rotates in and out to direct air onto the driver or passenger? It is a nice feature, and would score points with those of us who miss it.
4. Must have round headlights. Please not too bright. No need to blind oncoming cars.
5. The transmission is a serious issue. I am glad that the new Scouts will be electric, but as far as I know, there isn’t really a role for a manual transmission in an EV, and if it is an automatic, then it won’t really feel like a Scout, and you’ll immediately lose your claim to being “rugged”. Automatics are ok for the soccer moms who drive an SUV because sometimes they have to forge through a quarter inch of snow on the way home from the stylist. Even the new Bronco had a manual in the base version, but they made a bad design with a pansy shifter mounted on the console, rather than a proper one that goes all the way to the floor, and they didn’t offer the manual in the higher performance packages, which ensured that I wouldn’t buy one. Not sure how to address this situation for the electric Scouts, though. Ideas?
6. Roll bar, please.
7. Anything that can make it easy to get the top off and on, and to suspend it in a garage will be welcome.

Thank you!!!

“This is the moment to bring out your questionable or ridiculous ideas to see if there are any nuggets of brilliance hidden away.”

Well, here we go….. here is a crazy idea, how about a good ole plain and simple style Scout at least as a hybrid.
I know, I know, I’m dreaming.
I love my old ‘64 Scout 80 and I would really hate to see a new Scout come out and it not be widely accepted because of the lack of a gas engine option.
Recently purchased a Ford Maverick and I am pleasantly surprised by it in all aspects. Will it last? I don’t really know. But I was willing to take a chance on my first Ford because it fit my “needs” while waiting to see what the new VW Scout holds. (just doesn’t have that ring to it, doesn’t it?)
I’m not sure the new Scout will be given a proper chance to survive. When I talk about my Scout it is rebutted with stories of how they used to have one in the family as a child and “ those windshield wipers would never work” or “they were working on it all the time”. To me, that’s what memories and learning about vehicles are all about. And I like it.
You never hear stories about how they learned how to drive a stick or went on their first hunt with grandpa in that ole rust bucket but you talk to them long enough they will slowly turn and start reliving the tough history of these little monsters.
Time will tell the story of the new Scout but the old scouts story is already written in stone and forged in steel.
Looking forward to the next chapter.

“This is the moment to bring out your questionable or ridiculous ideas to see if there are any nuggets of brilliance hidden away.”

Well, here we go….. here is a crazy idea, how about a good ole plain and simple style Scout at least as a hybrid.
I know, I know, I’m dreaming.
I love my old ‘64 Scout 80 and I would really hate to see a new Scout come out and it not be widely accepted because of the lack of a gas engine option.
Recently purchased a Ford Maverick and I am pleasantly surprised by it in all aspects. Will it last? I don’t really know. But I was willing to take a chance on my first Ford because it fit my “needs” while waiting to see what the new VW Scout holds. (just doesn’t have that ring to it, doesn’t it?)

I’m not sure the new Scout will be given a proper chance to survive. When I talk about my Scout it is rebutted with stories of how they used to have one in the family as a child and “ those windshield wipers would never work” or “they were working on it all the time”. To me, that’s what memories and learning about vehicles are all about. And I like it.
You never hear stories about how they learned how to drive a stick or went on their first hunt with grandpa in that ole rust bucket but you talk to them long enough they will slowly turn and start reliving the tough history of these little monsters.
Time will tell the story of the new Scout but the old scouts story is already written in stone and forged in steel.
Looking forward to the next chapter.
Guess it depends on what ear you are listening from.
No ICE, no hybrid. And it’s Scout Motors not VW Scout and I’m anxious to see them take the market by storm. My dad’s even open to it and he owned an original Scout and worked for a subsidiary of Ford for 10 years of his life. I guarantee you he’ll by an EV Scout over anything Ford does in a heartbeat (and an EV isn’t something he would generally consider but he would for a Scout). Can’t begin to tell you the horror stories at Ford and knowing the Bronco issues this far I don’t think Ford’s fixed much over the past 25 years.

Guess it depends on what ear you are listening from.
No ICE, no hybrid. And it’s Scout Motors not VW Scout and I’m anxious to see them take the market by storm. My dad’s even open to it and he owned an original Scout and worked for a subsidiary of Ford for 10 years of his life. I guarantee you he’ll by an EV Scout over anything Ford does in a heartbeat (and an EV isn’t something he would generally consider but he would for a Scout). Can’t begin to tell you the horror stories at Ford and knowing the Bronco issues this far I don’t think Ford’s fixed much over the past 25 years.
Totally agree. I would also like to set the Scout become a top selling vehicle and like your dad, I would be open to a ev scout (not as a daily driver) but only because it’s a Scout and I am partial to its history and would like to see it succeed. My round trip commute is 92 miles a day so an all electric vehicle is not to my best benefit.
Local Ford dealer has 3 ev mustangs that they “can’t get rid of” (their words, not mine).
I am saying that Scout will be cutting out a lot of potential customers by offering only an ev version. If that’s what they do, I’m ok with it. I just hope they do it right.

Totally agree. I would also like to set the Scout become a top selling vehicle and like your dad, I would be open to a ev scout (not as a daily driver) but only because it’s a Scout and I am partial to its history and would like to see it succeed. My round trip commute is 92 miles a day so an all electric vehicle is not to my best benefit.
Local Ford dealer has 3 ev mustangs that they “can’t get rid of” (their words, not mine).
I am saying that Scout will be cutting out a lot of potential customers by offering only an ev version. If that’s what they do, I’m ok with it. I just hope they do it right.
I don’t know all the details of your situation, but if you’ve got a 240V circuit at home That you could use for charging, then 92 miles a day should be no problem for modern EVs, most of which have >200 mi range, and would probably save a fair bit of money on fuel. But I understand that doesn’t work for everyone For any number of reasons.