Camping / Overland Ideas

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
With the typical Scout enthusiast likely to venture off road, I figured a thread throwing out ideas on just that might be useful. I found myself watching the below video today, which had a couple ideas to think about.
  1. The Tesla apparently has a "Camping Mode". *What functions would you the consumer like to see within this mode?
  2. The Camping Mode heater did not keep his feet warm, only the front seat area
  3. The ability for the back seats to fold down flat for sleeping would be a plus.
  4. Was interesting with the different charging rates based on using the 30amp (20+ hours to charge) or 50amp (9+ hours to charge). Something to think about if you pull your camper there and your camper uses the 50amp hook up slot.

I think the cover that is over what is usually the spare tire should double as a camping table and also there should be a flashlight that when on its docking station in the trunk or storage area it recharges so it is always available even for daily use

In all honesty, and for the number of times Camp Mode / Self-Leveling will be used by the average owner, and given the potentially significant maintenance / replacement / repair costs, I'm not sure that air suspension is the right choice for the Scout - particularly given the "no-nonsense" desire for simplicity and the ability to customize with things like larger tires. I could see a Scout owner leveling with rocks or Scout recovery boards that could serve as shims

Reactions: JohnBills
My GV60 has a "utility mode" for camping and for powering a campsite (or any 120-volt accessories) but I have yet to try it out. It's not a large vehicle so sleeping in it would be cramped. But I do like the idea of a mode that allows for a low draw on the battery pack to power accessories or climate control.

Reactions: J Alynn
I want the bed of the truck version to have a big enough bed and a high enough payload for a pop-up slide in camper. I have a Northstar 850sc that I would want to put on the truck.
Then having the ability to plug the camper into the truck so you could plug the vehicle in at a campsite or into a generator in the outdoors and it charges the truck while also powering the camper.
Maybe even allow for the solar on the camper to charge the truck? Wouldn't charge a lot but could give you some range while sitting in a field all day.

A reservoir to hold water with the ability to heat for rinsing hands, washing dishes, showering, etc.

I have a dilemma where I goto crossfit which doesn't have a shower and then have to goto another gym to use their shower facilities. Costly and time consuming. This would be a huge convenience on my end and seems simple.

Reactions: J Alynn
I'm liking this idea, but help me picture it better. Would you use it to shower in the parking lot of your CrossFit gym?
Haha, not to be too visual but to have a privacy tent or curtain that attaches to the rear lift gate. There are several aftermarket accessories out there at the moment. I've looked at area parks and considered pilots truck shops ($7 per shower).

Haha, not to be too visual but to have a privacy tent or curtain that attaches to the rear lift gate. There are several aftermarket accessories out there at the moment.
Oh! Haha! That makes a lot more sense. Would it still be useable in the winter?

Oh! Haha! That makes a lot more sense. Would it still be useable in the winter?
I think the only way this would be successful to a mass market in the US would to include a heater to have access to hot water. While people in other countries are adapted to cold water showers, I think we have been accustomed to the comforts of hot running water.

With the typical Scout enthusiast likely to venture off road, I figured a thread throwing out ideas on just that might be useful. I found myself watching the below video today, which had a couple ideas to think about.
  1. The Tesla apparently has a "Camping Mode". *What functions would you the consumer like to see within this mode?
  2. The Camping Mode heater did not keep his feet warm, only the front seat area
  3. The ability for the back seats to fold down flat for sleeping would be a plus.
  4. Was interesting with the different charging rates based on using the 30amp (20+ hours to charge) or 50amp (9+ hours to charge). Something to think about if you pull your camper there and your camper uses the 50amp hook up slot.

What is 'overlanding'? That must be a gender neutral jeep thing...

Haha, not to be too visual but to have a privacy tent or curtain that attaches to the rear lift gate. There are several aftermarket accessories out there at the moment. I've looked at area parks and considered pilots truck shops ($7 per shower).

Lol dude in the 90's I copper tubing wrapped a waterneck and used an RV water pump to push from rear container, I had hot showers on demand. Use a push to release sink style faucet as shower head trigger. Later I had big black tubes mounted on roof filled with water. This gives you solar shower and gravity fed, no pump needed. (But can get TOO hot!!!)

➕

As I suggested in a previous thread, its a potential accessory that could change a real or perceived weakness of EVs in regards to overlanding into a strength... should price allow. Imo.

If that fell in the water you'd get electrocuted... and I go camping to AVOID that many people!!!

If that fell in the water you'd get electrocuted...
Hopefully it would be designed to do a “handshake” to confirm proper connection before it enables the main contacts, same reason why one can safely plug in a fast charger while its raining.

and I go camping to AVOID that many people!!!
Having solar to charge the main battery and power stuff is useful whether overlanding alone or with many. imo.

All of the above could be great accessories for overlanding/camping in combination with an EV/battery as well.

Last edited:
I imagine if EV camping ever takes off there will need to be drastic changes made to camp grounds to handle charging and billing of power usage from charging. Would be a huge cost increase for mom and pop campgrounds. That or some how limit the current draw to keep cost down.