Scout Design Team Feedback V1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I would say take after what Ford did with the new Bronco.

1. 61-65 front end design
  2. electrical output in 110v, and 220v. also in the front cargo area have battery posts for jumping other vehicles.
  3. Make the fancy features such as heated seats and adjustable ride height be in the higher trim levels to make the base model more attainable for the average person.
  4. Infotainment should be simplistic and easy to use. Have the climate control controlled by physical buttons or dials instead of sliders on the screen. And the selector for Forward, Neutral, and Reverse, should be a physical lever.
  5. Have the colors for the car be fun and unique. Have a red, an orange, and some blues, to spice things up.
  6. Removable tops are important, like have a short top, long top, and soft top.
  7. Make the Scout be closer to the 100in wheelbase of the Scout 80 and 800, whereas the Scout II is a good car, I think the new Scout should take after what started it all.
  8. Models should include. four door extended wheelbase, two door standard wheelbase, and a couple dedicated offroad versions.
  9. The interior should be made from durable materials such as different vinyl in the lower trim levels, and leather in the high ones. And there should not be any carpet in any of the vehicles because it is prone to become dirty and harbors bacteria and other things that you don't want in your car.
  10. And the car shouldn't be over stylized and should be left with a boxy design with subtle lines used along the body to create character.

In my mind, we are balancing three different moods here: the warm, sunny nature of the original Scouts; the heavily lifted, big-wheeled, lots-of-black aggression of contemporary gas-powered SUVs; and the minimalist sleekness of EV cars and trucks. All of these influences need to be taken onboard, but I tend to gravitate to the first of them, because we are looking long-term here and heritage is unique and enduring, whereas the latter two may turn out to be fleeting trends. So, without further ado...

1) Two-piece tailgate and liftgate
2) Lots of tactile details, from door handles to physical switches in the cabin
3) LED screen that mimics the strip speedo and ancillary gauges of the Scout II (echoing an earlier comment in the thread)
4) Easily adjustable ride height
5) Easily removable hardtop (not soft-top)
6) LWB SUV based on pickup that has a three-row option like the Traveler
7) Plaid seat/trim options (yes, Scout Motors drags America kicking and screaming out of the gloom of black interiors!)
8) A color palette inspired by 1960s and '70s Scout choices - lots of distinctive options here that aren't made available by other brands
9) Side stripe/decal options for those who don't have the confidence to personalize their Scout in the aftermarket
10) A computerized version of the "Line Setting Ticket" inside every glovebox on delivery, emphasizing that while each Scout has industrial strength and an ultra-modern powertrain, it is also personalized and crafted in the best American tradition

My two cents!

Reactions: Harris005
I know it was supposed to be 10, but I thought of one more that would bring excitement to the Scout community:
  • A platform and accessories (e.g., frunk conversion tub) that will accommodate a vintage Scout II or Scout II Traveler body.

Difficult not to treat this as an overall 'Wish list' but here's a few

1) No-draft/vent windows on doors
2) Horizontal speedometer with minimal gauge cluster (this could be a long, narrow screen(s))
3) Overall minimalist dashboard with physical buttons, channel the negative space that the original dash did so well
4) Seating options (Bucket/Bench)
5) Floor Vents
6) Exterior Trim packages and fun/loud colour options (see image)
7) Physical drive shifter, not a dial
8) Boxy/proud front end and appearance
9) Designed with door removal in mind
10) Built with modularity/tinkering and customization in mind

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 38
Difficult not to treat this as an overall 'Wish list' but here's a few

1) No-draft/vent windows on doors
2) Horizontal speedometer with minimal gauge cluster (this could be a long, narrow screen(s))
3) Overall minimalist dashboard with physical buttons, channel the negative space that the original dash did so well
4) Seating options (Bucket/Bench)
5) Floor Vents
6) Exterior Trim packages and fun/loud colour options (see image)
7) Physical drive shifter, not a dial
8) Boxy/proud front end and appearance
9) Designed with door removal in mind
10) Built with modularity/tinkering and customization in mind
That ad photo is awesome. I think that should be the new marketing campaign. In fact they can take all our 1st year member orders and then do the photo shoot 😀

Not in a particular order.

1. Front seats need to be chair-like or truck seats, not 5 inches off the floor. My old bones do not like to be stretched out, prefer to be like sitting on a chair at a table.
2. Tailgate/liftgate like the Scout II
3. Sunroof/moonroof - Maybe all glass like the RAM truck concept?
4. Rear seat needs to fold flat
5. Power seats
6. Power mirrors
7. A unique profile. I have seen too many photos of all the SUVs in profile and they all look the same. From the rear a RAV4 is very similar to a Jeep Cherokee.
8. Decent sound system

Reactions: Rallye
This is my version of a Scout design, it keeps the overall Scout 800 look
326698999_901986014561558_4271767625088726326_n.jpg

Not too shabby. Think you need to show a hidden back door since right now there is no plan for a 2-door. That said it has a great look. Love the bottom trim in front of the rear tire. Also like the flared out rear quarter panel. I’d love to see the taillights elongated a bit to look like the other Scout models.
I’m still pushing for a more squared element around the round headlights to distinguish from the Bronco. The white top looks great. If you have it in you (I know the time it takes for hand renders) would love to see a soft top version or open top. All in all your renders look great and the color choices are perfect

Reactions: mwmassie
One more thought regarding the 2-door. I wonder if you drew it as 4-door but ran the bottom trim mounding under the back door maybe that would cut down on visual of rear doors and put emphasis on the fronts. Add a flush pop out handle on rear door.
Still really like your effort-just curious how it would look as a 4-door since that seems to be the option right now until extended battery range develops in the space for a 2-door model.
Thanks for sharing these

Reactions: mwmassie
One more thought regarding the 2-door. I wonder if you drew it as 4-door but ran the bottom trim mounding under the back door maybe that would cut down on visual of rear doors and put emphasis on the fronts. Add a flush pop out handle on rear door.
Still really like your effort-just curious how it would look as a 4-door since that seems to be the option right now until extended battery range develops in the space for a 2-door model.
Thanks for sharing these
here is a 4dr version with some of your suggestions
326987621_487257370235222_8537026292320293145_n.jpg

here is a 4dr version with some of your suggestions
326987621_487257370235222_8537026292320293145_n.jpg
Looks awesome. And I thought I liked drawing and rendering. THANKS for cranking that out-you rock. Think we all still wish it could be a 2-door up front but you’ve got some great stuff.
May I ask what your work background is?
BRILLIANT work sir!

I’m 43 and drove a 78 Scout 2 when I met my wife and we both loved that truck. Some things I hope you can carry forward in some respect.
1. Pay homage to the clean, square lines of the scout 2 body and grill and angled rear window. The line drawing you released so far are on the right track.
2. Make the roof fully removable and keep the remaining roll bars to a minimum so it actually looks and feels like the top is off.
3. Mine was automatic :( but I loved the round shifter knob with the ring you had to pull up to shift.
4. I loved the old school knobs you had to pull out of the dash to turn on the heat and lights. Felt like a cigarette vending machine.
5. Brights button on the floor
6. Hood opened backwards like a race car. Always thought that was fun and unique.
7. Keep the handles, mirrors, etc. minimalist and utilitarian like the original.
8. Full sized spare tire
9. Unlike the original, put some camber in the front axel so it can safely drive above 70 without wandering all over the highway.
10. When making aesthetic choices between more modern, sexy, complicated components and simple, utilitarian, and reliable, go simple. If you’re buying a truck brand made famous 50 years ago, you probably want simple and reliable. Let Tesla make a cyber truck, you make a Scout.

Hello Scouts,

Chris and I had a meeting with our design team today, and they are looking for some feedback bullets to take back to the designers. We have a list of the common things we've seen in the forums repeatedly, but thought it might be helpful to ask everyone here for a list of your top ten must-have features from a design standpoint (not technical specs - assume we will get the AWD system right). These would include things like exterior modularity for headlamp replacements, grill options, lighting options, roof options, modular bumpers, etc., etc. Interior items can be both convenience features and design features (tactile switches/knobs for HVAC or blank switches for accessories for example).

So a numbered list would be great and please limit it to your top ten to make it easy to parse through. No long paragraphs. :D

Thanks all!

- Jamie
1) removable hard top and frameless doors.
2) roof rack on hard top with integrated pick points on the outside so hardtop can EASILY be picked up with 4 common ratchet straps or a small electric hoist.
2) soft top option
3) no tools required to remove hard top or soft top
4) Storage spot/clips for a long snow brush, so that one can be left in vehicle but not just tossed onto floor/seat
5) a solution to drivers foot gas pedal area salt stains on carpet of every other vehicle on road today, including ones with expensive aftermarket “laser-cut” floor mats that still don’t solve this.
6) Real bumpers, not plastic covered. Something that can take a bump and not require full replacement.
7) fender flare attachment points and sell flares and wider wheels as accessories.
8) MAKE THE PRINTING LARGE on anything you have to make on interior. Your demo wears reading glasses, if if they won’t admit it!
9) one clock on dash. Just one. That driver and passenger can see. Not one in radio/nav one on dash.
10) please ensure the owners manual/cover has a specific place that it fits in the glovebox.

Great suggestions already shared! I'll toss my two pennies in the air :)

Understanding that you have to factor overhead of design, engineering, vendors, assembly, government standards/requirements that all factor into a final production model. I believe COVID has reinvigorated the interest of being outdoors and the popularity of Off-roading and Overlanding. I have reason to believe that the percentage of Scout buyers that will explore off-road will outpace the "Mall-Crawler". I'd say in the design and engineering due diligence phase, consider the intended use and the end user in mind of a couple factors:
  • "simple" to repair/service of consumable / wearable parts
  • Accessorization
    • to increase the stock capability to suit owner's need(s) -AND-
    • to personalize vehicle to owner's personality
Amongst other OEM badges, I would make a reasonable assumption that the marquee competition target would be the Jeep brand. If so, I think there's no argument in the capability and popularity of the Wrangler/Gladiator platform in particular. Aside from their capability in stock form, I believe another factor can also be attributed to the success of those platforms - and that's accessorization and personalization. However you define, I believe that demographic of the off-road category wants to set themselves apart from other owners within an OEM brand and definitely in comparison with owners of competitors products (i.e. Scout vs. Wrangler vs. Bronco vs. Land Rover, etc). I would certainly consider as part of a purchase decision if I'm limited to what the OEM offers by way of accessories or for whatever reason, the vehicle doesn't garner the interest in reputable aftermarket vendors to create products.

Consider thinking like an enthusiastic, accessorizing, upfitting, personalizing, off-roading, overlanding explorer (who happens to be a designer or engineer)! You have to operate within corporate and government standards. But as you ponder and consider the submitted suggestions and as the Scout brand makes it's way to market, keep in mind that as the vehicle goes you have to excite the aftermarket vendors as much as you have to excite the Scout purchasing demographic.

In any case, my thoughts (while probably whack-a-do) are shared while sitting on a Teams meeting but hopefully makes some sense and received as a respectful comment. :)

P.S.

I do have to pose the question. What's the contingency for charging an electric, off-road capable vehicle when one takes said vehicle off-roading/overlanding?

Last edited:
Looks awesome. And I thought I liked drawing and rendering. THANKS for cranking that out-you rock. Think we all still wish it could be a 2-door up front but you’ve got some great stuff.
May I ask what your work background is?
BRILLIANT work sir!
I am a sign painter by trade, but longer than that I have always liked drawing vehicles, my connection to the scout is my dad retired from the Springfield, OH plant and he bought a 1979 scout brand new but sold it, I have been playing around with scout concepts for about 10 years