Top Five Accessories For The New Scout

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Hi Scouts!

Our Accessories Team is looking for feedback on your top five accessories you would like to us offer on the new Scouts. This would include factory accessory bumpers, brush guards, interior protection, interior organizers, roof racks, roof tents, etc., etc. Basically things that don't initially come with the car but would be nice to either order special or after you purchase the car to add to it.

I also want to introduce the Scout Community to Bryan Mutchler who is our Director of Accessory Development. I’ll let him do his own introduction and background below.

Chris and I are excited to have some fresh meat in the forum cage. 😁🍺

Welcome, @Bryan@ScoutMotors! Some of these ideas are making assumptions about what the vehicle will be capable of, but here are my top five accessories:
  1. Roof cross rails
  2. Vehicle to load adapter
  3. Customizable cargo organizer (either for under the false floor or for the frunk) so I can organize camping gear, recovery gear, and charging accessories
  4. All-weather mats (floor and cargo)
  5. Air compressor kit

Hello Scouts!

I'm extremely excited to have joined a great team at Scout Motors. I have been working in automotive development for over 20 years and accessories for the last 8. Personally, I love overlanding (via motorcycles at the moment) and have a passion for bringing new ideas to market. So, I would love to hear from our Scouts here on how they remember using their Scouts in the past and how they want to use their Scouts in the future.

What connects you to your Scout emotionally? What accessory would make your life or job easier? What performance upgrades would you want to see? We are starting with a blank sheet and it's going to be my job to ensure you will have what you need for your Scout no matter the task.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Bryan

What connects you to your Scout emotionally?
I fell in love with the Scout II years ago when my cousin took me up in the Rocky Mountains near Denver CO. His lifted Scout with 35" tires went anywhere that day that we wanted to roam. The main difference from other outings with different vehicles, was the soft top down, and no doors (Super Scout). The fresh air and open views were etched in my memory that day. Although my Scout isn't yet set up that way.....it will be!

Scout connections:
  • Soft top down
  • Door inserts with doors off
  • Lift kit/Larger tires
  • Super Scout look (above noted as well as SS front grill)
  • Built like a tank - old school, steel, simplicity
What accessory would make your life or job easier?
Oh so many conversation had on this forum hovering around this question...I'm sure we have worn @Jamie@ScoutMotors out. :p. Sticking with the "life or job easier" a few (requested limit of 5) that come to mind are:
  1. Doing away with something else (key fob) to have to carry in my pocket. Like the idea of proximity devices that allow things to work without having to pull something out. Our smart phones being the Scouts key would be great (if it always worked), but I have had issues with this in the past with household locks. I personally like the idea of a smart watch wrist band with the fob chip embedded in it. Might not be for everyone, but I would purchase that accessory. https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/ev-focused-suggestions.99/post-1937
  2. Driver that approaches the drivers door/seat will be recognized and all personal settings will automatically adjust. Option two would be the "Driver 1", "Driver 2" buttons on the inside of the door.
  3. Built in cooler/trough for tailgating to avoid having to lug one around. https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/tailgate-and-or-tailgating.98/post-2731
  4. Storage, storage, and more storage. Truck model would be nice to incorporate storage in the bed sides. Either interior or exterior (similar to Dodge Ram). It would be nice to do away with bulky toolbox taking up bed space.
  5. Cut the cords - wireless charging and Apple Car Play/Android Auto. Get in the Scout and go.....no more fumbling for cords to plug your phone in before pulling out of the driveway.
  6. ........nope you said stop
What performance upgrades would you want to see?
When looking at upgrades from an old Scout II to a new Scout 2026 I get excited! For many years I have wanted to see a modern Scout being made....and it is finally happening!! A number of Scout enthusiast seem to lean towards a replica of the old. I myself look at it a bit differently and enjoy my Scout II for what it is, planning to continue to use it just the same. However, the new Scout to me should ride and feel like a modern vehicle, yet have the look and styling of the old.

Some of those upgrades include:
  • Comfortable suspension for every day travel, yet mild trail capable (upgrades for the full time rock crawlers out there).
  • Quiet interior
  • Honestly believe the ICE to EV will be a performance upgrade by itself; however, the performance out of the EV itself that I would be looking for is increased range. Again, I still love my Scout II ICE for what it is for all of you that just wrinkled your nose :)
  • The stereo should be an obvious upgrade from days of the old....gotta keep throwing out there the JL Audio partnership seems a perfect match with marine grade speakers.
  • Can we maybe upgrade the performance of the AC?
  • Might end with - making efforts up front to design the Scout to be upgradable. The aftermarket world (to include the Scout Motors upgrade purchases) is fun for all!

Last edited:
I'm liking these suggestions! Some of these seem to me like vehicle features and some are accessories. @Bryan@ScoutMotors how do you differentiate between an accessory and something that's just part of the vehicle design?

Hello Scouts!

I'm extremely excited to have joined a great team at Scout Motors. I have been working in automotive development for over 20 years and accessories for the last 8. Personally, I love overlanding (via motorcycles at the moment) and have a passion for bringing new ideas to market. So, I would love to hear from our Scouts here on how they remember using their Scouts in the past and how they want to use their Scouts in the future.

What connects you to your Scout emotionally? What accessory would make your life or job easier? What performance upgrades would you want to see? We are starting with a blank sheet and it's going to be my job to ensure you will have what you need for your Scout no matter the task.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Bryan
Welcome to Scout Motors and our growing crew of “remote car designers”. Gonna stew on this a bit before I lost my 5. Is the interchangeable grills idea your department or primary design-need to know if I need to use one of my 5 for that item 😁

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
1. Integrated Security should be a main feature, but if not all of these are included in "security", perhaps some of these can be added as a module accessory.
  • Front/rear/sides video looping with time/date stamp - like a dashcam but integrated into the Scout's display for playback / sharing to an email address
  • notification when a door or tailgate opens
  • GPS tracking of the vehicle location
Of course all capabilities should be managed by a Scout Motors app.

2. Like having a "Jerry Can", a range extender battery pack for peace-of-mind when charging stations are scarce. Plug and play allowing multiple battery packs modules. These recharge when the primary battery pack is at a 50% or greater charge level. Can be a life saver if a fellow Scout needs to swap a battery pack with another Scout.

3. Roof mounted solar panels - mounting points incorporated into the roof design...having a utilitarian look can contribute to the rugged look. Easily replaceable but with locking mounts. Makes the most sense with a fixed hard top.

4. What amount of space in the frunk area? Accessory ideas might include a fold/slide out bench type seating for 2. Scout compatible (and removable) cooler/refrigerator mounted into a cubby with power ports. Drone storage/landing pad...would be cool if integrated into the hood allowing launch and recovery from the driver's seat...all controllable through the Scout's Display.

I love so many of the ideas already presented, so I'm going to do like I'm shopping for cologne and sniff a coffee bag first...

1. A plethora of bumpers and rock rails/steps.
  2. Sunshades for when the top is down.
  3. Cargo containment system.
  4. Trailer cam integration into dash display(I plan on towing our travel trailer).
  5. OnX or something else FULLY integrated. Fully. As in, I hope my co-pilot passenger has a touchscreen and display with which to be involved in the drive.

I love so many of the ideas already presented, so I'm going to do like I'm shopping for cologne and sniff a coffee bag first...

1. A plethora of bumpers and rock rails/steps.
  2. Sunshades for when the top is down.
  3. Cargo containment system.
  4. Trailer cam integration into dash display(I plan on towing our travel trailer).
  5. OnX or something else FULLY integrated. Fully. As in, I hope my co-pilot passenger has a touchscreen and display with which to be involved in the drive.
I like the idea of a co-pilot screen. Haven’t seen that before

Reactions: CTOffRoad
2023 Grand Wagoneer

Now I'd like to see the passenger DO more.

Almost like a rally car/Baja navigator. But then it also comes to mind to be able to adjust tire pressures, lockers, power output and drivetrain in general.

Let me focus on my line and driving, and IF they want, the co-pilot can have a role.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-03 130540.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-03 130540.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 11
My top 5 accessories would be:
1) SS II style softop, door inserts and soft doors
2) Lockable storage- center console, under seats, in voids of body panels, pretty much anywhere usable storage can be added.
3) Nerf bars/sliders/steps
4) Roof rack, especially one that works with soft top
5) Tow package

I would love to know what Scout is thinking. Maybe post a poll with what you have in mind and have us pick 5.

Reactions: Harris005
I'd like to see these accessories for "Scout Loadouts"
  1. Battery Armor: Additional protection from rocks and debris
  2. Modular Overlanding Racks: Lockable racks with an innovative fastening system that can accept custom, configurable loadouts, (think MOLLE system)
  3. Dog Kit: In addition to a REAL pet restraint system, offer a compartmentalized pet loadout box that holds food, water, leashes, etc.
  4. Wet/Dry Stowage: Sealed wet box for muddy boots, clothes, dry for electronics and other items to stay dry
  5. Multiband/two-way removeable radio: Shortwave/CB/Weather radio that is rechargeable and removeable for use at basecamp
  6. Bonus: Compartment(s) that lock along with central locking, e.g., when vehicle has top removed, it still has the ability to secure items in one or more compartments lockable via central locking.

Last edited:
I'd like to see these accessories for "Scout Loadouts"
  1. Battery Armor: Additional protection from rocks and debris
  2. Modular Overlanding Racks: Lockable racks with an innovative fastening system that can accept custom, configurable loadouts, (think MOLLE system)
  3. Dog Kit: In addition to a REAL pet restraint system, offer a compartmentalized pet loadout box that holds food, water, leashes, etc.
  4. Wet/Dry Stowage: Sealed wet box for muddy boots, clothes, dry for electronics and other items to stay dry
  5. Multiband/two-way removeable radio: Shortwave/CB/Weather radio that is rechargeable and removeable for use at basecamp
  6. Bonus: Compartment(s) that lock along with central locking, e.g., when vehicle has top removed, it still has the ability to secure items in one or more compartments lockable via central locking.
Great ideas! I especially appreciate the dog harness and area as well as the wet storage. I need both regularly!

An easy way to add aux power items with switches already wired and built into the console, dash or overhead.
Mounting tabs already in places for lights, antennas, etc.
A place and easy connection for a winch you can buy off the shelf and not have to have a special 'Scout only' winch.
Lockable storage areas that can be washed and drained for muddy boots, rigging, shovels, etc.
Separate tailgate and liftgate. Not a hatch.
Integrated steps in the rear or rear/sides to be able to get stuff on and off the roof rack that it should come with.

Oversize door jam covers like the classics when removing the doors. Classic round shape Auxiliary lighting. Classic looking mounts for the same. Classic graphic kits. Plaid seats. You get the idea, modern classic.

Reactions: J Alynn
One of the top complaints from owners of off road vehicles because of their more upright windshields is excessive windshield breakage. You will need to have a durable windshield option.

Hi Scouts!

Our Accessories Team is looking for feedback on your top five accessories you would like to us offer on the new Scouts. This would include factory accessory bumpers, brush guards, interior protection, interior organizers, roof racks, roof tents, etc., etc. Basically things that don't initially come with the car but would be nice to either order special or after you purchase the car to add to it.

I also want to introduce the Scout Community to Bryan Mutchler who is our Director of Accessory Development. I’ll let him do his own introduction and background below.

Chris and I are excited to have some fresh meat in the forum cage. 😁🍺
1. Super scout like package.
2. Half doors
3. Soft top options
4.factory winch and locker options
5. Easy clean interior