Scout Design Team Feedback V1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Guys - have you seen the plans for the '25 RamCharger 1500 pickup? Seems RAM is planning to create their EV with a built in, gas powered generator. A hybrid with a twist - the onboard generator doesn't power the drive train or wheels, it simply charges the battery from what I can tell. This approach makes sense to me, bwdik? https://www.ramtrucks.com/revolution/ram-1500-ramcharger.html
Yes. The article has been posted several times on several threads. I think the Extra, Extra thread was one of the locations. I do t recall the other

Reactions: JohnBills
Yes. The article has been posted several times on several threads. I think the Extra, Extra thread was one of the locations. I do t recall the other
690 mile range but you are going to be running a standard ICE Pentastar V6 to do so for 2/3 of those miles.

Reactions: J Alynn
Out on a limb here but take off the V6 and the generator which together must weigh over 500#, plus the extra volumetric room under the hood. (2025 RAM) and replace with extra batteries, how far could range be extended in that scenario?

And we talked, I think, about having an extra extended range battery that we ( with a little help from friends or a forklift since we are also talking roughly 500#) that simply slides into the bed and plugs into the vehicle. Yes it needs a dedicated slot or protective frame since people will still want to carry a half ton of mulch in the bed

Out on a limb here but take off the V6 and the generator which together must weigh over 500#, plus the extra volumetric room under the hood. (2025 RAM) and replace with extra batteries, how far could range be extended in that scenario?

And we talked, I think, about having an extra extended range battery that we ( with a little help from friends or a forklift since we are also talking roughly 500#) that simply slides into the bed and plugs into the vehicle. Yes it needs a dedicated slot or protective frame since people will still want to carry a half ton of mulch in the bed
The question becomes the range trade off based on the extra 500#-600# weight of extra batteries. A standard ICE gets about 300-350 miles of range on a fill up. Thats roughly 6 hours of driving at highway speeds and 7+ at 35-40mph. EVERYONE should be taking a break after 6 hours and that’s the time to charge. I don’t understand why everyone has range anxiety and thinks that this vehicle needs to get 500+ miles when every (OK-most) vehicles today only get the 350 miles max. It’s a bit more planning and a half hour stop vs a 10-15 minute stop to “refuel”. In two more years when the Scout debuts the refueling infrastructure will be significantly better.
Adding 500# battery just reduces range to some degree not to mention letting any old person load a 500# battery pack on their vehicle seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people recking 200# bikes trying to load them onto a truck bed.
I get a full size RAM pick up exploring the range extender because it’s a huge towing vehicle and MPG sucks already. It’s a workhorse vehicle. The new Scout won’t be anywhere near that capable (if I were a betting man). The Scout will be comparable to a Jeep/Bronco not a Ford F350 or oversized RAM truck. Somebody correct me if I’m thinking about this in the wrong way

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
1. Retro style, superimpose 80/800 and Scout II over each other to get proportions right
2. round headlights with square halos for DRL wrapped around for side indicators
3. round wheel wells
4.Scout II style tail lights and parking/turn signal lights but larger and recessed, Square halos for DRL wrapped around for side indicators
5. Galvanized or aluminum body panels without double panels that trap moisture and cause rust and corrosion
6. interior floor covered with bed liner with drain holes
7. steel wheel 32" tire for base model aluminum wheel 35" tire for deluxe model
8. removable top
9. removable doors
10. SUV and truck the same with different tops like original Scout II Traveler and Terra pickup
11. Off Road package, Chrome Deluxe package, Black out package, Regional and Heritage packages, Rallye package

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bodie
My father bought a brand new Scout in 1975, 7 years before I was born. It must’ve been something very important to him because it’s the only car he ever talked about. He took it off-road the day after buying it and thoroughly scratched the paint driving through brush and trees.

While I was in high school I came across a 1962 International C120 pickup, it was a short wheelbase truck with a step side. I traded the man a triple bottom plow for the truck and proceeded to rebuild every mechanical component as I had learned from my father. I didn’t get to restore the body, I didn’t know how. But that truck was a beast and I learned to appreciate the simple and modular nature of the IH engines of the time which featured gear drive timing as standard, something I’ve never found on any other vehicle. The same set of timing gears fit the IH 152, 196, 266, 304, 345, and 392 engines! Many other parts are also shared between the various engines. I think it would be very smart for the new scouts to adopt something similar as a sort of brand trait.

My C120 was astonishingly simple. The dash was all metal. I think making the center console electronics modular (or removable) but offering a simplistic option would be very interesting to many folks. I believe the use of the central screen (like in a Tesla) could provide this functionality and could even be one of the “modular” components. Could be as simple as using a hidden screen mount and wiring quick disconnect where you can swap a screen module for a module with knobs and buttons.

Design elements I liked about old scouts and IH trucks:

1. I like how the roof came off the old scouts and left a clean line from the windshield back with no door pillars or anything in the way.
  2. I’d like to see a nice roll bar or roll bar upgrade option such as a configurable or multi function roll bar that allows some customization with different soft top and sun screen configurations etc.
  3. Real towing capability of at least 6k lbs.
  4. Accommodation for off-road / 360 cameras. Doesn’t need to be a proprietary system, I bet if you get ahold of someone at GoPro they already have software that could be integrated and then you could just prewire for GoPro cameras at multiple points around the vehicle (literally just some usb-c cables and some simple brackets…) My friend/ neighbor works at GoPro so I may be able to help there if needed.
  5. The seats need to recline fully flat. My wife’s Wrangler has seats that won’t recline flat so you can’t take a nap. That really annoys me. Personally, I won’t buy anything without seats that recline fully. The seats in my Ram 3500 recline flat.
  6. You should design the vehicle to accommodate up to 35” tires without modification. I would think something like a LiquidSpring suspension would be of interest.
  7. There should be lighting options for under the vehicle, not just for looks but for off-roading and for service/repair while off-road.
  8. The rear door situation on the JK Wranglers (not sure about others) with the soft top is really annoying. The height of the door is low and loading groceries or luggage often requires unzipping the rear window. Something better would be welcome in the scout.

Last edited:
The question becomes the range trade off based on the extra 500#-600# weight of extra batteries. A standard ICE gets about 300-350 miles of range on a fill up. Thats roughly 6 hours of driving at highway speeds and 7+ at 35-40mph. EVERYONE should be taking a break after 6 hours and that’s the time to charge. I don’t understand why everyone has range anxiety and thinks that this vehicle needs to get 500+ miles when every (OK-most) vehicles today only get the 350 miles max. It’s a bit more planning and a half hour stop vs a 10-15 minute stop to “refuel”. In two more years when the Scout debuts the refueling infrastructure will be significantly better.
Adding 500# battery just reduces range to some degree not to mention letting any old person load a 500# battery pack on their vehicle seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people recking 200# bikes trying to load them onto a truck bed.
I get a full size RAM pick up exploring the range extender because it’s a huge towing vehicle and MPG sucks already. It’s a workhorse vehicle. The new Scout won’t be anywhere near that capable (if I were a betting man). The Scout will be comparable to a Jeep/Bronco not a Ford F350 or oversized RAM truck. Somebody correct me if I’m thinking about this in the wrong way
It’s not so much the need to travel 500 miles without stopping, it’s that electric vehicles range is highly affected by things like using the air conditioning, heat, sound system, heated seats, entertainment systems, even being loaded with passengers. In a gas vehicle these things barely affect range but on an electric vehicle they make a huge difference. Especially for an EV that someone may want to tow with.

I’m in Florida, I don’t want to have to choose between getting to my destination or using my air conditioning lol!

Hello Scouts,

Our design team is looking for feedback. We have a list of the common things we've seen in the forums repeatedly, but thought it might be helpful to ask everyone here for a list of your top ten must-have features from a design standpoint (not technical specs - assume we will get the AWD system right). These would include things like exterior modularity for headlamp replacements, grill options, lighting options, roof options, modular bumpers, etc., etc. Interior items can be both convenience features and design features (tactile switches/knobs for HVAC or blank switches for accessories for example).

So a numbered list would be great, and please limit it to your top ten to make it easy to parse through—no long paragraphs. :D

Thanks all!

- Jamie
1) Removable top. The Wrangler is one of the best selling vehicles, the Bronco is doing pretty well, too.
2) Original Red for first edition.
3) Retro inspired interior, plaid inserts.
4) clear homage to the original from the front side and rear, not little Easter eggs 5) if LED headlights, cleaners or heaters
6) Illuminated turns, so you can see where you’re turning at night.
7) Easy ingress, egress. Those who remember the original are getting older and may also have elderly parents. (Add a step bar?
8) Comfortable, pet friendly rear seat.
9) Big Screen up front
10) well thought out rear. People should be able to buy groceries on the way home from the dealerhsil. (A simple, well placed bungee strap or hook can hold a bag upright)

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
My father bought a brand new Scout in 1975, 7 years before I was born. It must’ve been something very important to him because it’s the only car he ever talked about. He took it off-road the day after buying it and thoroughly scratched the paint driving through brush and trees.

While I was in high school I came across a 1962 International C120 pickup, it was a short wheelbase truck with a step side. I traded the man a triple bottom plow for the truck and proceeded to rebuild every mechanical component as I had learned from my father. I didn’t get to restore the body, I didn’t know how. But that truck was a beast and I learned to appreciate the simple and modular nature of the IH engines of the time which featured gear drive timing as standard, something I’ve never found on any other vehicle. The same set of timing gears fit the IH 152, 196, 266, 304, 345, and 392 engines! Many other parts are also shared between the various engines. I think it would be very smart for the new scouts to adopt something similar as a sort of brand trait.

My C120 was astonishingly simple. The dash was all metal. I think making the center console electronics modular (or removable) but offering a simplistic option would be very interesting to many folks. I believe the use of the central screen (like in a Tesla) could provide this functionality and could even be one of the “modular” components. Could be as simple as using a hidden screen mount and wiring quick disconnect where you can swap a screen module for a module with knobs and buttons.

Design elements I liked about old scouts and IH trucks:

1. I like how the roof came off the old scouts and left a clean line from the windshield back with no door pillars or anything in the way.
  2. I’d like to see a nice roll bar or roll bar upgrade option such as a configurable or multi function roll bar that allows some customization with different soft top and sun screen configurations etc.
  3. Real towing capability of at least 6k lbs.
  4. Accommodation for off-road / 360 cameras. Doesn’t need to be a proprietary system, I bet if you get ahold of someone at GoPro they already have software that could be integrated and then you could just prewire for GoPro cameras at multiple points around the vehicle (literally just some usb-c cables and some simple brackets…) My friend/ neighbor works at GoPro so I may be able to help there if needed.
  5. The seats need to recline fully flat. My wife’s Wrangler has seats that won’t recline flat so you can’t take a nap. That really annoys me. Personally, I won’t buy anything without seats that recline fully. The seats in my Ram 3500 recline flat.
  6. You should design the vehicle to accommodate up to 35” tires without modification. I would think something like a LiquidSpring suspension would be of interest.
  7. There should be lighting options for under the vehicle, not just for looks but for off-roading and for service/repair while off-road.
  8. The rear door situation on the JK Wranglers (not sure about others) with the soft top is really annoying. The height of the door is low and loading groceries or luggage often requires unzipping the rear window. Something better would be welcome in the scout.
I just realized I put C200 when it was a C120, just like this one but white: https://images.app.goo.gl/ZpKHttW8DDSBnSX46

Reactions: J Alynn
One thing I forgot to mention was the location of the charge port. Can it please be in the front (nose) of the vehicle somewhere? Having charging doors towards the rear isn't ideal, especially if you're pulling a trailer. Depending on where the charging pedestal is backing in can be awkward and cable lengths can be an issue, just ask any e-tron or Taycan drivers how much fun it is positioning their vehicles correctly to charge. Having it on the nose gives the most flexibility, you can always nose into a charging spot, even with a trailer, and the cable will always reach the front of the vehicle.

This 💯 or if packaging issues arise at least on the front passenger side as both positions would work well with existing pull in chargers, Tesla Superchargers, and curbside charging. More convenient in general and reduce the odds one would need to unhook when towing.

Tend to agree with you, though seeing so many people request this makes one wonder if Scout Motors couldn’t satisfy them with minimal effort by simply creating a loose open APU form factor/standard for the sub trunk or frunk area (when the storage containers are removed). Thereby facilitating aftermarket companies to design, sell, and install APU modules (ICE, batteries... nuclear fusion whatever) in that space. Scout could offer the necessary harness/port as a “APU prep" option with an obligatory disclaimer but other than that shift all the burdens (liability, emissions, costs, etc) associated with the APUs on to the aftermarket and maintain their singular focus on making and selling EVs.

Space would be tight but after looking at a few generators, it seems plausible a purpose built APU could fit and probably produce enough power to supply a third to a half of the average draw on the main battery; if one were run for the entirety of a trip. So the aftermarket may be able to help make these 500+ mile adult diaper travels a reality. Most at some point will probably realize they don’t want or need to do that but knowing its a possibility may give them the peace of mind they need to buy a Scout EV in the meantime.

Last edited:
I just read this article on the 2027 Ineos BEV. Looks like some of the suggestions in this thread have made it into their plans. The main one that stuck out was the range extender by way of a small generator. Not sure if the design team is looking at that, but I know it was mentioned as a preferred option. Link below.

I just read this article on the 2027 Ineos BEV. Looks like some of the suggestions in this thread have made it into their plans. The main one that stuck out was the range extender by way of a small generator. Not sure if the design team is looking at that, but I know it was mentioned as a preferred option. Link below.

Well maybe they’ll consider the strategy outlined above, that is full EVs with the ability to accept an APU as a self-contained module. There are obviously trade-offs versus a more integrated approach but the flexibility it offers customers during the transition may be worth it.

Many will prefer the extra storage and think the battery range is more than enough. Others may want a basic APU to travel (un)reasonably long distances without charging and still others may want a more powerful APU that allows them to tow longer distances (downside vs integrated... it may require more exotic solutions due to space & weight constraints). But from the vehicle manufacturers stand point they would only need to worry about assembling one vehicle type and it being a full EV, one would think the regulatory hurdles would be much easier as well.

Last edited:

I am all in on the concept of on board generator for range extension. You could drive to the off road trails on gasoline and then drive your 200 miles of off road on all electric, switch to gas using the Jerry cans you take along to get back to civilization and charging stations.

The Ineos lineup lacks any removable tops in any model....but I have yet after 28 months to open my Bronco roof past first open position.

The Ineos Fusilier also employs a skateboard chassis rather than ladder frame and they would not go this route if it were not suitable for rugged offroad territory

1. To look like the original Scout
2. To look like the original Scout
3. To look like the original Scout
4. To look like the original Scout
5. To look like the original Scout
You get the idea : ))).
In my opinion if it does not look like a Scout, it is not a Scout. I am 100% sure I will only be buying it if it looks like one. I am not buying the name. That is why I first purchased one. It is the look that I fell in love with. Other note / example.... the hood does not need to open the same way but when closed the vehicle has to look pretty much the same.

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
Scout Design Team: Below are some general items for consideration
Design Ideas:

• Bench tailgate similar to range rover: Adds a touch of rugged elegance, providing a versatile seating option or roof access while evoking a sense of luxury and tradition.
  • Rear tail lights have S block style: Infuses a modern and sleek aesthetic, enhancing visibility and giving the vehicle a distinctive and memorable rear profile after its namesake.
  • Grab handles on A pilar and console: Offers practicality and off-road readiness, instilling a sense of adventure and rugged capability while providing passengers with a secure grip.
  • Circle front light or double square with black backdrop: Delivers a unique and bold front-end design, combining classic elements with contemporary flair to create a visually striking impression on the road.
  • Clamshell hood: Integrates nostalgia with modern engineering, facilitating easy access to the engine bay while adding a touch of timeless sophistication.
  • Chrome bumpers from Land Cruiser: Evokes a sense of durability and classic styling, enhancing both the aesthetics and functionality of the vehicle with a rugged yet refined appearance.
  • Alpine windows hardtop from Defender: Adds a touch of adventure and openness to the vehicle's design, allowing natural light to illuminate the interior while providing a connection to the surrounding environment.
  • Vertical grill: Instills a sense of strength and boldness, commanding attention on the road with its distinctive and assertive presence, appealing to the emotions of power and dominance.
  • Ecofriendly interior products leveraging bamboo, eucalyptus, recycled wool and/or plastic such as Kvadrat

Functionality:
  • Integrated auxiliary switch from Bronco: Provides convenience and versatility for customizing the vehicle's accessories, catering to individual preferences and enhancing functionality for various purposes.
  • Under flip seat storage: Maximizes interior space efficiency, offering practical storage solutions for essential gear and equipment, catering to the needs of adventure enthusiasts and outdoor explorers.
  • Hidden in-seat storage: Enhances security and organization, keeping valuables out of sight and ensuring a clutter-free interior, appealing to the emotions of safety and peace of mind.
  • Multi-brightness level interior lights: Enhances comfort and ambiance, allowing occupants to adjust lighting according to their preferences and mood, creating a welcoming and personalized environment.
  • Multi-color mood lighting: Creates a captivating atmosphere and enhances the driving experience, allowing occupants to set the mood and personalize their journey, appealing to the emotions of relaxation and enjoyment.
  • Multi-color mood lighting: Creates a captivating atmosphere and enhances the driving experience, allowing occupants to set the mood and personalize their journey, appealing to the emotions of relaxation and enjoyment.

Scout Design Team: Below are some general items for consideration
Design Ideas:

• Bench tailgate similar to range rover: Adds a touch of rugged elegance, providing a versatile seating option or roof access while evoking a sense of luxury and tradition.
  • Rear tail lights have S block style: Infuses a modern and sleek aesthetic, enhancing visibility and giving the vehicle a distinctive and memorable rear profile after its namesake.
  • Grab handles on A pilar and console: Offers practicality and off-road readiness, instilling a sense of adventure and rugged capability while providing passengers with a secure grip.
  • Circle front light or double square with black backdrop: Delivers a unique and bold front-end design, combining classic elements with contemporary flair to create a visually striking impression on the road.
  • Clamshell hood: Integrates nostalgia with modern engineering, facilitating easy access to the engine bay while adding a touch of timeless sophistication.
  • Chrome bumpers from Land Cruiser: Evokes a sense of durability and classic styling, enhancing both the aesthetics and functionality of the vehicle with a rugged yet refined appearance.
  • Alpine windows hardtop from Defender: Adds a touch of adventure and openness to the vehicle's design, allowing natural light to illuminate the interior while providing a connection to the surrounding environment.
  • Vertical grill: Instills a sense of strength and boldness, commanding attention on the road with its distinctive and assertive presence, appealing to the emotions of power and dominance.
  • Ecofriendly interior products leveraging bamboo, eucalyptus, recycled wool and/or plastic such as Kvadrat

Functionality:
  • Integrated auxiliary switch from Bronco: Provides convenience and versatility for customizing the vehicle's accessories, catering to individual preferences and enhancing functionality for various purposes.
  • Under flip seat storage: Maximizes interior space efficiency, offering practical storage solutions for essential gear and equipment, catering to the needs of adventure enthusiasts and outdoor explorers.
  • Hidden in-seat storage: Enhances security and organization, keeping valuables out of sight and ensuring a clutter-free interior, appealing to the emotions of safety and peace of mind.
  • Multi-brightness level interior lights: Enhances comfort and ambiance, allowing occupants to adjust lighting according to their preferences and mood, creating a welcoming and personalized environment.
Engine bay??? Only if they adopt a range extender engine/generator combo, which I hope they would. Otherwise the frunk for practical reasons should be rear hinged and the entire "grill" area should open with hood for easy access to what is destined to be a storage area void of anything mechanical or even electrical