Extra, Extra....Read All About It!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
On Tuesday Apple announced in an internal meeting that they are cancelling their plans to build their own EV.

Bloomberg (paywalled)

About a thousand engineers worked for a decade on a wide range of technologies. Who knows what they invented?

If I were Scout I would approach Kevin Lynch and Jeff Williams at Apple and let them know we’re open to learning more about any technologies relevant to the Scout.

I would also look through the published vehicle related patents that belong to Apple to see if there is anything we could use.

Apple might now be looking for partners in the automotive industry. They are no longer a potential competitor.

Here is another article about the Audi spin off. I think this is the wrong direction in my opinion but I don’t work for Audi. I think it needs to be a bit more boxy that these render ideas show. Going to a Ralleye sport look-in my opinion won’t appeal to luxury buyers. So long as the Scout stays boxy I guess the Audi can be whatever.

I am scratching my head as to why they would think a station wagon or car-type body style could/would possibly compete with a G Wagon or any SUV for that matter. I imagine this concept will do as well as the Pontiac Aztec when it came out.

Reactions: J Alynn
article i happened to see this morning. i had no idea the original plan was to create a plastic body (assuming I am reading the quotes correctly.)...
Funny it reads as a Debbie-downer but it’s an EV/technology e-mag so I guess if it isn’t designed like a spaceship I’m guessing they aren’t as interested. The Scout mission and products will be great for journalists as it will be a brand that bridges modern tech with heritage aspirations and that will confuse everyone who writes about. I look forward to all those articles and compliment Scott, Jamie and Chris (and their teams). They are key to helping guide the mission to maximize Scouts success and future adoration by both the groups of long time Scout fanatics as well as new generations of fans.
Good luck folks 😁

Funny it reads as a Debbie-downer but it’s an EV/technology e-mag so I guess if it isn’t designed like a spaceship I’m guessing they aren’t as interested. The Scout mission and products will be great for journalists as it will be a brand that bridges modern tech with heritage aspirations and that will confuse everyone who writes about. I look forward to all those articles and compliment Scott, Jamie and Chris (and their teams). They are key to helping guide the mission to maximize Scouts success and future adoration by both the groups of long time Scout fanatics as well as new generations of fans.
Good luck folks 😁
My money says the author drives a Tesla and loves it. Teslas don't interest me at all from a design standpoint. Their charging network though is the gold standard.
I will say that this is one of the better researched, factual articles when it comes to Scout's relationship with VW. I think there are still a lot of people who, if they have heard of the new Scout, think it is a VW as in the VW Scout. Even after supposedly reading the article, some of the commenters still called it the VW Scout. Turning the vehicle name into the brand name doesn't help with that so SM needs to choose and start using vehicle names like the "Scout Reaper" or "Scout Thresher" to emphasize that Scout is a brand now, not a vehicle. Scout needs to keep pounding the drum that they are a wholly separate division from VW (just like Audi or Porsche) because many people, me included, have a negative view of VW vehicles. It would be a terrible mistake to sell Scouts through VW dealers. Scout needs to be as far from VW as possible.

Reactions: Albal and J Alynn
As much as I don't want to agree with you on the nomenclature of the modeling I think you're right. To what I believe you were hinting at, and I don't want to put words in your mouth, I think SM has done a poor job at promoting their objectives, mission and vision. That initial video was a nice touch but it's more or less been crickets since. Much of what you read is speculation written by outsiders. Perhaps SM doesn't have a marketing department yet?
I hate to state it publicly but I feel this site is starting to get stale. I have found this forum is more about its participants bantering back and forth and much less of an information share from SM to its enthusiasts than I expected. I have mentioned this before and I'll mention again, when are some of the designers actually going to chime in? When are we going to see more photos from regional visits from Jamie and the crew?
Sorry for the rant but it's time for SM to start providing more details.

My money says the author drives a Tesla and loves it. Teslas don't interest me at all from a design standpoint. Their charging network though is the gold standard.
I will say that this is one of the better researched, factual articles when it comes to Scout's relationship with VW. I think there are still a lot of people who, if they have heard of the new Scout, think it is a VW as in the VW Scout. Even after supposedly reading the article, some of the commenters still called it the VW Scout. Turning the vehicle name into the brand name doesn't help with that so SM needs to choose and start using vehicle names like the "Scout Reaper" or "Scout Thresher" to emphasize that Scout is a brand now, not a vehicle. Scout needs to keep pounding the drum that they are a wholly separate division from VW (just like Audi or Porsche) because many people, me included, have a negative view of VW vehicles. It would be a terrible mistake to sell Scouts through VW dealers. Scout needs to be as far from VW as possible.
Agree 100 % with your statements-especially the Tesla statement. I’ve said from early on that SM needs to stay away from VW dealership sales. I don’t have a negative experience but my local VW is a VW/Porsche/Audi dealer with a used exotics dealer so it screams $$$$.
Its gonna be tough for SM because in one hand using VW justifies them as a legit manufacturer with back-up chops but agree with you-somehow they need to slide away from VW to separate diesel-gate and the non-American connection. I do fear that service will ultimately get connected to VW but I hope they find away around that as well. All that said, if using the existing VW dealership/service reduces costs then you almost want the connection???