Extra, Extra....Read All About It!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Very interesting names that have been filed so far. The “star” names tie in with International truck names. I know automakers do this all the time and there may or may not be anything to read into here. I’m surprised to not see Travelall.
Not sure how I feel about these four "names" maybe for trims it would be find but I don't think I'd want my vehicled badged with these names. "Scout Hauler," "Scout Reaper," "Tellus," and "Thresher." Tellus is kinda interesting because it's just another Latin word for Earth, though Terra is obviously the more known version. Thresher and Reaper are synonymous to Harvester so it makes some sense to trademark them just I cringe a bit when I think how something called the Scout Reaper would be advertised.

Not sure how I feel about these four "names" maybe for trims it would be find but I don't think I'd want my vehicled badged with these names. "Scout Hauler," "Scout Reaper," "Tellus," and "Thresher." Tellus is kinda interesting because it's just another Latin word for Earth, though Terra is obviously the more known version. Thresher and Reaper are synonymous to Harvester so it makes some sense to trademark them just I cringe a bit when I think how something called the Scout Reaper would be advertised.
Some additional trademarks per carbuzz.

• Swather
  • Cultivator
  • Grade
  • Thresher
  • Forma
  • Harrow
  • Baler
  • Scythe

Reactions: LastDayScout
Here’s all the ones I found in a trademark search by owner “Scout Motors”.

Swather; Travelstar; Scout Spirit; Go Together, Scout Together; The World Needs Scouts; Rallye; Rooted in Heritage, Driven by Community, Forging the Future; Traveltop; Aristocrat; Surefooted as a Mountain Goat; There’s a Scout in All of Us; Cultivator; Grade; Scout Hauler; Road to Scout; Trailstar; The World Needs More Scouts; Thresher; Forma; Sno-Star; Terrastar; Travelstar XL; Tellus; Scout II; Scout 800; Scout 80; Super Scout; Scout Carolina; SR-2; SSII; Terra; Harrow; Baler; Scythe; Harvester; Scout Terra; Together We Scout; Scout Reaper; Sportstar

Some of these are not intended as potential vehicle names. Some are historic Scout names and others are related synonyms. Perhaps “Terra” is a candidate for a vehicle name because they trademarked both “Terra” and “Scout Terra” and the synonymous and similar sounding “Tellus”.

I explored some antique shops today and came across this. I couldn't come to grips with the $100 price tag but still cool.

Attachments

• 20231216_150537.jpg
    20231216_150537.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: LastDayScout
While we're on trademarks how about "Hooper" as a throwback to the old Burt Reynolds movie that includes a 77 SSII?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_184523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216_184523_Chrome.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 6
Porsche and Aston Martin have previewed their implementations of the Next Gen CarPlay.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46188510/apple-carplay-next-gen-interface/

This allows
1) manufacturers to customize CarPlay with their own brand and design elements
2) users to customize the cars information displays to their style and needs

Comments from car manufacturers have suggested that some are cold about Next Gen CarPlay because they think it means giving up their brand to Apple. The truth is that it gives manufacturers full control over the look and feel of display elements. It also adds some visual continuity between CarPlay and the other displays in the vehicle. The system just add more user choice without taking anything away. I would love for Scout to support this. Customizability should be a big feature of the Scout and this system gives users the ability to customize the displays in the dash to show the information they want in a variety of styles designed or approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Very interesting names that have been filed so far. The “star” names tie in with International truck names. I know automakers do this all the time and there may or may not be anything to read into here. I’m surprised to not see Travelall.
Right, usually care companies way "over-trademark" (if that makes sense) in order to protect even the possibility that they'll use it.

Reactions: J Alynn
Comments from car manufacturers have suggested that some are cold about Next Gen CarPlay
The ability to for a manufacturer to customize and brand is a welcome surprise. With GM ditching CarPlay, I wonder which decision will win out: CarPlay vs no CarPlay.

The ability to for a manufacturer to customize and brand is a welcome surprise. With GM ditching CarPlay, I wonder which decision will win out: CarPlay vs no CarPlay.
GM’s decision isn’t about giving the user the best experience.

The best experience for the user is to get to choose which system they will use, the built in one, Android Auto or CarPlay. The user should be able to choose an option that tightly integrates with the small powerful computer they happen to carry with them all the time.

There are many good reason to love Carplay. The car should not be thought of in isolation because people start activities with their phones outside the car and continue them inside. For example if I need to drive to an appointment I can be most efficient by not leaving too early or too late. I start directions on my phone inside the house, then I can assess exactly when I need to leave and when I get into the car the directions just automatically continue on CarPlay without me having to do anything. This also applies to scenarios where you need to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the destination. CarPlay also allows me to safely play music and podcasts that are already downloaded onto my phone without a separate instance of the app in the car having to download and sync.

Apps on your phone are often very fast because they can run native code whereas in-car entertainment systems are usually very slow and unresponsive. I believe this is partly because software relying on things like kubernetes has more layers of abstraction between the code and the processor, more like an app running in an app. It’s just never going to be as good. Car manufacturers cannot replicate the platforms built by Google and Apple because doing so takes tens of thousands of engineers to build and maintain. The sooner they realize they should not make a cell phone with wheels the better. Building apps for CarPlay also has a very low barrier of entry because if developers already have an app on iPhone, iPad or a modern Mac app they can adapt it for CarPlay with little work. This allows very small businesses and even individuals to compete against giant corporations and gives users the largest possible choice of apps and services.

I don’t think the terms of GM’s contract with Google are public but it seems obvious that there must be an exclusivity clause that shuts out Apple and third party developers. By not supporting CarPlay (or even Android Auto), Google and GM hope to create a captive audience that they can monetize. GM customers can probably expect to see ads on the display in their car or else pay a subscription to do the things their iPhone or android phone already do. It’s user hostile. This thinking is similar to a common tech business model that has often been richly rewarded with high valuations on Wall Street. The idea is to get an extremely large number of users on your platform, then promise you have lots of ways to monetize them at few dollars a month, then watch your stock price skyrocket as investors do the math. This might be how GM wants their business to be valued - based on the number of users and average subscription revenue per user.

User hostile decisions should never win. Users know when they have been turned into the product and they don’t like it.

Reactions: Albal and Bodie
GM’s decision isn’t about giving the user the best experience.

The best experience for the user is to get to choose which system they will use, the built in one, Android Auto or CarPlay. The user should be able to choose an option that tightly integrates with the small powerful computer they happen to carry with them all the time.

There are many good reason to love Carplay. The car should not be thought of in isolation because people start activities with their phones outside the car and continue them inside. For example if I need to drive to an appointment I can be most efficient by not leaving too early or too late. I start directions on my phone inside the house, then I can assess exactly when I need to leave and when I get into the car the directions just automatically continue on CarPlay without me having to do anything. This also applies to scenarios where you need to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the destination. CarPlay also allows me to safely play music and podcasts that are already downloaded onto my phone without a separate instance of the app in the car having to download and sync.

Apps on your phone are often very fast because they can run native code whereas in-car entertainment systems are usually very slow and unresponsive. I believe this is partly because software relying on things like kubernetes has more layers of abstraction between the code and the processor, more like an app running in an app. It’s just never going to be as good. Car manufacturers cannot replicate the platforms built by Google and Apple because doing so takes tens of thousands of engineers to build and maintain. The sooner they realize they should not make a cell phone with wheels the better. Building apps for CarPlay also has a very low barrier of entry because if developers already have an app on iPhone, iPad or a modern Mac app they can adapt it for CarPlay with little work. This allows very small businesses and even individuals to compete against giant corporations and gives users the largest possible choice of apps and services.

I don’t think the terms of GM’s contract with Google are public but it seems obvious that there must be an exclusivity clause that shuts out Apple and third party developers. By not supporting CarPlay (or even Android Auto), Google and GM hope to create a captive audience that they can monetize. GM customers can probably expect to see ads on the display in their car or else pay a subscription to do the things their iPhone or android phone already do. It’s user hostile. This thinking is similar to a common tech business model that has often been richly rewarded with high valuations on Wall Street. The idea is to get an extremely large number of users on your platform, then promise you have lots of ways to monetize them at few dollars a month, then watch your stock price skyrocket as investors do the math. This might be how GM wants their business to be valued - based on the number of users and average subscription revenue per user.

User hostile decisions should never win. Users know when they have been turned into the product and they don’t like it.
Apple is also notorious for a take it or leave it attitude to their IP. GM was looking for a deal and Apple told them to take it or leave it. I’m curious to see if it eventually makes a reappearance. Clearly that would take a community/customer uprising with their choice of GM or everyone else. iOS isn’t going away, it’s simply a decision of which overlord you worship- Apple or Google.

Reactions: J Alynn
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/el...allow-500-miles-range-and-0-62mph-two-seconds

The Recon might have 500 mile range at the end of 2024.

Hoping this gets us closer to a 2 door scout!
There is no way the Recon will have a 500 mile range. The platform is capable of vehicles with 'up to' 500 mile ranges but if you read the fine print it would be an aerodynamic sedan. The Recon is a brick. Expect it to get around 250 miles of range when it comes out. If it's less than that I'd be very disappointed with Stellantis. The STLA Large platform has a 118 kWh battery pack which is a reasonable size. The Rivian R1S has a 135 kWh pack and can do 316 miles. If Jeep gets it to do 300 miles to a charge they'll be doing well.

Thought it was interesting, definitely felt like there'd be safety regulations making it hard to do. I wonder what was said that made them think it would fold down..

I just had another read and looked at the comments, how'd I think the folding windshield was real when they said it would connect to the C pillar lmao.

Last edited: