Thoughts about an EV off-roader?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
What about the Northeast? We have some great wet trails like in Shamokin, PA? I'd love to see a Scout on the Coal Mountain course.
Being from Lancaster I know your area a bit. Nothing wrong there but typically everyone wants to conquer the Rubicon Trail as bragging rights (IGuess-or at least to prove Jeep isn’t the only one capable) so might as well start there and prove it to all the ICE naysayers

Reactions: oldgeeksguide
I got my back side chew on very severely due to posting a news article related to Teslas failing from driving in flooded streets from tropical storms here in Florida.

You have supported my discussion of people using common sense. Why would you even consider driving in water with an EV?

Sorry if I come off as being unreasonable, but why?
I think you’re being very reasonable. It all depends on the vehicle and what it’s built to withstand. An ice car with exhaust 6 inches off the ground shouldn’t drive through water a foot deep, but a vehicle with a snorkel might be able to handle several feet of water. Rivians are built to handle water at least 3 and a half feet deep, so if it’s not flowing too fast it should be ok to drive through with damaging it. Despite what a certain ceo may say, I don’t think most teslas are designed for flood waters, so it doesn’t surprise me that a Tesla might get seriously damaged driving through deep water. Someone might get lucky, or they might not; either way someone will post the video as proof of something.

Common sense would tell me not to take chances unless it’s definitely safe, but if common sense were widespread then “Florida man” wouldn’t be a meme 😋

Being from Lancaster I know your area a bit. Nothing wrong there but typically everyone wants to conquer the Rubicon Trail as bragging rights (IGuess-or at least to prove Jeep isn’t the only one capable) so might as well start there and prove it to all the ICE naysayers
Lancaster, not a bad area for finding old farm trails. Its also not that far from Rausch. I agree with you about the Rubicon course however I think the average off-road enthusiast hasn't done their course. I would love to see Scout on some of the woodland trails. I have memories of my grandfather pulling out a willies or two with his old Scout I think Jeep just has more attention and more events. I'd love to see this new EV at a mixed vehicle event. I found this forum because i'm in the process of shopping for a project vehicle and I want it to be a scout. Though I love the idea of maybe scrapping the idea of redoing a vintage vehicle and seeing what an EV can do.

Reactions: J Alynn
Lancaster, not a bad area for finding old farm trails. Its also not that far from Rausch. I agree with you about the Rubicon course however I think the average off-road enthusiast hasn't done their course. I would love to see Scout on some of the woodland trails. I have memories of my grandfather pulling out a willies or two with his old Scout I think Jeep just has more attention and more events. I'd love to see this new EV at a mixed vehicle event. I found this forum because i'm in the process of shopping for a project vehicle and I want it to be a scout. Though I love the idea of maybe scrapping the idea of redoing a vintage vehicle and seeing what an EV can do.
Agree with your point thoughts. Some typical PA/DE trails are likely most I’ll ever tackle but the Rubicon would at least shut down the EV nay-sayers. I get off road and Scout enthusiasts never thought about an EV solution but proving it works to the extreme crowd might bring some of a certain demographic over to EV’s.
I’ve said before, I’m fortunate that this will be a fun car as my daily currently flips between a hybrid Accord and a Bronco Outerbanks. Each has is joys and benefits.

Reactions: kagreen
Agree with your point thoughts. Some typical PA/DE trails are likely most I’ll ever tackle but the Rubicon would at least shut down the EV nay-sayers. I get off road and Scout enthusiasts never thought about an EV solution but proving it works to the extreme crowd might bring some of a certain demographic over to EV’s.
I’ve said before, I’m fortunate that this will be a fun car as my daily currently flips between a hybrid Accord and a Bronco Outerbanks. Each has is joys and benefits.
HI J, I completely agree on the national level I think there is a lot that can be accomplished by showing what can be done at events and trails like Rubicon. Proving that an EV can not only compete, but instead beat out other brands and types of vehicles in certain areas is important to convince the average owner. I do however think that the reason jeep has the niche it has in off road is because they are everywhere, they are at these small events that the average enthusiast can get to and experience.

Reactions: J Alynn
HI J, I completely agree on the national level I think there is a lot that can be accomplished by showing what can be done at events and trails like Rubicon. Proving that an EV can not only compete, but instead beat out other brands and types of vehicles in certain areas is important to convince the average owner. I do however think that the reason jeep has the niche it has in off road is because they are everywhere, they are at these small events that the average enthusiast can get to and experience.
Agreed. That said they’ve more or less owned that niche for over 40 years. Bronco bit into that demographic but the Jeep bloodline is deep so the cult like following is fully understandable. The new Hummer and Rivian hit a price point that most Jeep owners didn’t have interest or money to jump in and try to give the EV off-road segment a jump start. If Sm can retail it for mid $50K mark with some form of tax incentive AND can prove it trail worthy AND justify a range of 325-350 I think it may be the catalyst to start moving more people into the EV camp. Daily drivers/commuters will certainly be a tougher sell but if it ends up being an open top adventure/lifestyle vehicle that is a third/fun vehicle I think it will take off very quickly. I think the nostalgia play and exterior/interior color palettes will play a HUGE roll as well.

I was super excited when I heard that the Scout is coming back until I read that it is going to be an EV. I love the idea of building a small, off-road capable suv, but I will never buy an EV. EV's are expensive, unreliable, don't last, are a pain to charge, hard to work on, have a limited range, and are not selling very well. If the Scout had a gas engine I would seriouslly consider buying one. Now, a hybrid with the extra torque of the electric motors and extended range would be very cool. Better yet would be to build a small, simple, reliable, off-road capable, and highly customizable vehicle like the original Scout and they will sell.
Couple of points you got wrong there jacobK.

EVs aren't more expensive than the combustion cars they compete with, there just aren't any low-end "cheap" EVs yet. Compare like for like and they're cost competitive so your first point isn't accurate. They are also far more reliable than combustion cars, they're mechanically much simpler and they actually do last quite a long time. All EV power trains are warrantied for 8 years or 160,000 kms and they last far longer than that. In all likelihood the power train of your EV will outlast the body. EVs also have no issues "starting" in the winter. They are objectively far more reliable than any combustion vehicle could ever dream of being.

Charging is super easy and way more convenient than having to go out of your way to hit up a gas station. You're just used to doing that so I can see how you would think it's harder to plug in at home. You can literally fill up anywhere with electricity. You can fill up from an outhouse if it has a porch light if you wanted to.

It's true they might be harder to work on but since they don't really have anything that breaks down there really isn't much to actually work on with an EV anyway, unless you rip off a wheel or something - then it's just normal car stuff (shocks, suspension etc) to repair it. They don't need oil changes, don't have exhaust systems, don't have belts, or alternators or and of the hundred other things combustion cars need that tend to fail.

Modern EV ranges match or exceed the range you get from a tank of gas now so that's not really an issue either. As for sales, if you actually look at the data you will find that combustion car sales actually peaked in 2017 and have been declining ever since. The ONLY growth in the auto industry is from EVs. If it weren't for EVs the whole auto industry would be in decline. EV sales growth has been around 50% year over year for a long time now. Every year sets new sales records so not sure how you can claim the "are not selling very well", the data just doesn't back that up.