So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
That rear side window shape is only iconic for the last 10 years of Scout. Square with rounded corners is just as iconic.
I agree with your statement but square/rounded will look VERY much like the new Broncos which ignorant buyers will assume SM ripped off of Ford. I think the kink should be in the mix just because it is a detail everyone recognizes and remembers about Scouts. Don’t get me wrong-I like the early scouts but I just think squared windows feels like Bronco/Wrangler suv’s

Reactions: J. Sweat and 800&II
Why shouldn't SM steal a design from Ford. Last I knew the folks at IH even identified the individuals that Ford hijacked from IH's design shop to work on the first Broncos. I'm not sure that the curve on one pane of glass is so relevant. There's so many swoops and curves on the windows of all the other SUVs and not-really-suv-SUVs. Like we've been discussing on headlights, there are so few areas to express individuality between makes/models due to the regulatory restraints. I'm looking for functional functional design, not the mimicking of a line. Windows that open more fully, that's function.

Hello everyone and welcome to the forum!

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

View attachment 8

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie
Good start. I sure hope it’ll have a removable top. That’s the biggest variable that will determine whether or not I add a third Scout to my garage.

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
Those first sketches were very early versions before we brought on our head of design, Chris Benjamin. It has evolved quite a bit for sure. Less than a year and you will know.
So, on that point, as someone who has wished for the option to buy a new Scout since I was a 7 year old in 1980 who was head over heels for my uncle's Scout. Is there a way that community members here can get in on pre-order/foundation series/etc? I'd be first in line.

So, on that point, as someone who has wished for the option to buy a new Scout since I was a 7 year old in 1980 who was head over heels for my uncle's Scout. Is there a way that community members here can get in on pre-order/foundation series/etc? I'd be first in line.
Sadly your probably about 20th-30th in line 😂😂😂 but the more of us that keep asking the better the chances it might happen 😀

Looks Amazing to me! Can't wait to see the finished model of the Reimagined Iconic Brand of the Scout SUV. There's a Rugged Sexiness about it that has grabbed my attention.

Reactions: J Alynn
If we offer a two-door we couldn't reduce the wheelbase without sacrificing battery range or greatly reducing interior space by stacking batteries (has it's own separate issues). So do you offer a two-door with the same wheelbase as the 4-door? Are most that want a two-door also looking for a shorter wheelbase to go with it? What is the market potential for such a vehicle and how much investment is necessary to support it? Could battery technology improve enough to reduce battery size and make a two-door feasible? In the future it is likely, but how far into the future?

I’m only halfway through this thread, a year late, but I want say that a long wheelbase two-door is my dream. It’ll never happen but if it did, I would buy several like a fitted shirt.

I’m only halfway through this thread, a year late, but I want say that a long wheelbase two-door is my dream. It’ll never happen but if it did, I would buy several like a fitted shirt.
I think ideally would be a longer wheel base with the “hidden” rear doors where the handle is up higher within the trim area so it looks more like a two door but ease of 4-door space and wheelbase. I know several companies have done it. That would be my ideal look if it could be pulled off but guessing a true 4-door will be the design to appeal to larger market.

Reactions: J. Sweat
I'll answer from what I've gathered on the forum:

If it's a 2 door they want the shortened wheelbase. I think the 2 door market is rather niche. The REASON people get a 2 door is the turning radius and to a much lesser extent the aesthetic.

The market share isn't significant enough to warrant a 2 door, honestly. The 4 door Jeep and Bronco are perfect examples of this.

While @OleScout pointed out 20% of Broncos were 2 doors, I'd be willing to wager the vast majority of those(and 2 door Jeepers) would have still bought either rig if it was only in a 4 door version. Especially the Bronco crowd.
You’re wrong about two doors, completely. The overriding reason people buy a two door is the looks. In fact, the main reason people buy any vehicle, whether they admit it or not, is looks. And the turning radius is nice, but the real advantage of a short wheelbase is breakover angle.

What did the Bronco do to you that made you hate Broncos so much? Every post from you is moaning about Broncos.

You’re wrong about two doors, completely. The overriding reason people buy a two door is the looks. In fact, the main reason people buy any vehicle, whether they admit it or not, is looks. And the turning radius is nice, but the real advantage of a short wheelbase is breakover angle.

What did the Bronco do to you that made you hate Broncos so much? Every post from you is moaning about Broncos.
I overlooked this discussion thread the first time around, I'm glad it has revived. I don't care much about Jeeps or Broncos, what I care about is suitability to task. I recently got an earful from a Toyota dealer telling me how the demand is shifting away from the big pickups while corporate makes their Tundras and now Tacomas bigger and higher. He bemoans that he has no contractor model pickup. As a non-contractor I like the power but don't want the climb. I've said before in these columns that we need the Toyota Hilux in North America and by extension SM needs to offer a smaller, simpler, plainer utility model. (Rivian's recent new model announcement seems to hint at that path.) The higher mobility and short turning radius fits those needs well. The growing popularity of imported 25+ y/o mini trucks from the far east (even if RHD) is indicative of the latent demand. I'm convinced that the service sector need is already there and ready to welcome true utility. As for wheelbase length the 2-door that would match my 80/800 Scouts is just what I want. For me on the east coast off-road always meant trees, lots of them tightly defining the trail. (Those mild trails at Harvester in the Holler give a hint.) It's a lot easier to get through when there's minimal overhang and maximum incidence angles and breakover. It's been a long time since the marketplace has served that niche, but it's still there and frustrated by big-auto's arrogance. It won't take long for the marketplace to discover true utility in a true service utility vehicle. (And a lot of us 2-door fans to convey the service to sport.)

Reactions: J Alynn
1st - has to be a removable top and it has to be easy/ durable changeover. With all of the electronics now for electric tailgates, locks, lift assist, rear view camera, etc., it has to be very simple and the top durable on it's own.
2nd - I would love a diesel or gas option, but guessing that's out of the question.
3rd - I like the Equus rendition better than the concept above. Need the original look on the outside as much as possible and modern interior and drivability.

1st - has to be a removable top and it has to be easy/ durable changeover. With all of the electronics now for electric tailgates, locks, lift assist, rear view camera, etc., it has to be very simple and the top durable on it's own.
2nd - I would love a diesel or gas option, but guessing that's out of the question.
3rd - I like the Equus rendition better than the concept above. Need the original look on the outside as much as possible and modern interior and drivability.
Welcome aboard the forum.
Regarding 3-the renders above were very early on so comments from SM in other threads as noted these renders no longer apply from our viewing POV. While I second your desire to look like the originals Sm has also commented that this will be more modernized with what I hope are subtle references but definitely won’t be a new ‘vintage’ like many of us on here desire.
You are correct on #2 and I to hope the top is easily removable and not as printed to maxing connector pins break like the Broncos seem to be dealing with.

T-Bear, you sound like an outdoors type. Today with the "mall crawlers", they don't have the same drive (no pun intended). The market has changed, not to my liking or your by the way it looks.

Will the Scout have an actual tailgate rather than the gate that swings out? It’s old school.

Will the Scout have an actual tailgate rather than the gate that swings out? It’s old school.
What on your thoughts on a swing out tailgate with slide out tailgate from the rear cabin?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_161732_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_161732_Chrome.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 3
What on your thoughts on a swing out tailgate with slide out tailgate from the rear cabin?
Prefer a true drop down tailgate. Bronco should have done it but they opted a swing out in order to hold the spare tire. A true drop down tail gate means I can carry larger/longer items easier.