Scout EV - OS Feature - Driver Incapacitated/Medical Emergency Protocol

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

tetchema

1st Year Member
Jun 7, 2023
Allen, TX
Driver Incapacitated/Medical Emergency

The vehicle:
  • Could automatically engage after the attention sensor (electronic eye that alerts your if you close your eyes) detects prolonged delays in driver response.
  • Access steering wheel? (Maybe?)
  • External Carbon Monoxide detector? (Unlikely for the "electric" future, but it was on my list, so here it is)
  • Link to garage door (If incident occurs in a closed garage)
    • Opens garage door in the event of medical emergency
    • Flashes lights to alert authorities or rescue personnel
  • Sense the surroundings for ideal location to pull over, with reasonably safety (Never on the median)
  • Audible alert for nearby people and vehicles (alerts pedestrians, as well as continued attempts to make contact with driver)
  • Automatically calls 911, and gives exact GPS coordinates.
  • Would flash/strobe the headlights/taillights in a "SOS" fashion.
  • Driver alert system goes into overdrive
    • Turns off audio
    • Turns off any active GPS instructions
    • Connects 911 to other passengers in the car, if driver is unable to communicate directly
    • Reduces speed to a reasonable limit (depending on the location of incident)
    • Maybe medical records could be connected to the individual drivers key fob, so as to better prepare the arriving medical experts????
  • Sync with Apple Watch/Garmin/FitBit to detect heart rate distress, body temperature and any other irregularities
  • Video record the driver and passenger compartment, to review incident afterwards.
  • Reasonably determines whether or not to disable the accelerator during incident (should the incapacitation be "self-induced")

I type this out, because my uncle died suddenly behind the wheel of his car in 1990. My aunt was able to pull the car over, primarily because their 1980's Oldsmobile had a bench seat and no center console, so she was able to access the pedals.
Modern cars have large center consoles, and this is not possible to do if a modern driver suffers the same unfortunate scenario.

The vehicle:
  • Could automatically engage after the attention sensor (electronic eye that alerts your if you close your eyes) detects prolonged delays in driver response.
  • External Carbon Monoxide detector? (Unlikely for the "electric" future, but it was on my list, so here it is)
  • Sense the surroundings for ideal location to pull over, with reasonably safety (Never on the median)
  • Audible alert for nearby people and vehicles (alerts pedestrians, as well as continued attempts to make contact with driver)
    • Turns off audio
    • Connects 911 to other passengers in the car, if driver is unable to communicate directly
    • Maybe medical records could be connected to the individual drivers key fob, so as to better prepare the arriving medical experts????
  • Sync with Apple Watch/Garmin/FitBit to detect heart rate distress, body temperature and any other irregularities
  • Video record the driver and passenger compartment, to review incident afterwards.
  • Reasonably determines whether or not to disable the accelerator during incident (should the incapacitation be "self-induced")

I type this out, because my uncle died suddenly behind the wheel of his car in 1990. My aunt was able to pull the car over, primarily because their 1980's Oldsmobile had a bench seat and no center console, so she was able to access the pedals.
Modern cars have large center consoles, and this is not possible to do if a modern driver suffers the same unfortunate scenario.
My only concern on this is if you are remote with no cell reception how do you overcome that. I’d be concerned with liability. I like your concept with the idea of severe snow events like what occurred in Buffalo this past winter. With weather connect and car running/no movement does the car go into emergency heat mode that maintains car at 50 degrees to prevent death/frost bite but tries to preserve battery power as long as possible and sends out signals as you listed. Again my fear would be ice storm and loss of power/cellular service to contact emergency services

Reactions: tetchema
My only concern on this is if you are remote with no cell reception how do you overcome that. I’d be concerned with liability. I like your concept with the idea of severe snow events like what occurred in Buffalo this past winter. With weather connect and car running/no movement does the car go into emergency heat mode that maintains car at 50 degrees to prevent death/frost bite but tries to preserve battery power as long as possible and sends out signals as you listed. Again my fear would be ice storm and loss of power/cellular service to contact emergency services
I admit, the idea isnt perfect.
There are changes that need to be made, but even a good idea can grow from imperfect seeds.

Reactions: Scoutsie
These two jumped out to me as good features to possibly pursue. Sure there is some red tape with the medical records being made available, but I would think that option could just be up to the driver (and family memebers) if they wished to use that function.

Reactions: tetchema
iPhones and apple watches have built-in crash detection, heart attack detection and alerts, as well as SOS alerts via satellite. In addition I think you can store your medical records in a way that emergency personal have quick access to them.

It'd be interesting if a car capable of driving itself could accept an emergency alert signal from either a smart phone (or just a big red button on the dash!) that would tell it the driver was incapacitated and to pull over and stop. The phone could handle everything else.

iPhones and apple watches have built-in crash detection, heart attack detection and alerts, as well as SOS alerts via satellite. In addition I think you can store your medical records in a way that emergency personal have quick access to them.

It'd be interesting if a car capable of driving itself could accept an emergency alert signal from either a smart phone (or just a big red button on the dash!) that would tell it the driver was incapacitated and to pull over and stop. The phone could handle everything else.
Might be better if it just drove to the nearest hospital

The vehicle:
    • Turns off audio

I can understand your concern, and there are many good ideas in that list. The question beneath it all is how do we anticipate all possible human and mechanical failures in all potential environments? And at what cost? This is somewhat like the kind of planning that is done for astronauts in the space station or scientists spending the winter in Antarctica; both have their limits. We can't out-guess Mother Nature, nor other fools on the road, or the frailties of our vehicles.

Reactions: J Alynn
Might be better if it just drove to the nearest hospital
NO! This is the same slippery slope as FBI wanting access to terrorist's cell phone. Once a back door is provided you have to "trust" those with access to not abuse it.

Put this in relevance of the car driving to hospital - hackers proved the vulnerability of Chrysler's Uconnect system by tacking over a vehicle, disabling ABS and transmission control, then pulling car over while driver could nothing but watch. It was done in "safe" environment, but proved the MASSIVE security hole.

No way I want vehicle that authorities could take over control of when they decide I used up my carbon allowance or shouldn't have travelled somewhere verboten for example. Less intrusive would be I speed up to pass on a 2 lane road and police assume control to limit my speed to legal limit - now I take too long to pass, also leaving me in path of on coming traffic to cause an accident. A more sinister approach would be to make a normal pass and have it activate 1/2 way passed leaving me in path of semi.

Too many ways this good idea can be co-oped to do bad or dangerous things. BTW - LINK

Current VW will already bring car to safe stop if driver stops responding. We questioned why just stop in place instead of pull to side. Liability and safety as proved out by Tesla in several deadly crashes - systems are not ready for that function with out a driver to make sure its a safe maneuver. Plus I believe system does use CarNet to call 911 and activates hazard lights.

Jason

NO! This is the same slippery slope as FBI wanting access to terrorist's cell phone. Once a back door is provided you have to "trust" those with access to not abuse it.

Put this in relevance of the car driving to hospital - hackers proved the vulnerability of Chrysler's Uconnect system by tacking over a vehicle, disabling ABS and transmission control, then pulling car over while driver could nothing but watch. It was done in "safe" environment, but proved the MASSIVE security hole.

No way I want vehicle that authorities could take over control of when they decide I used up my carbon allowance or shouldn't have travelled somewhere verboten for example. Less intrusive would be I speed up to pass on a 2 lane road and police assume control to limit my speed to legal limit - now I take too long to pass, also leaving me in path of on coming traffic to cause an accident. A more sinister approach would be to make a normal pass and have it activate 1/2 way passed leaving me in path of semi.

Too many ways this good idea can be co-oped to do bad or dangerous things. BTW - LINK

Current VW will already bring car to safe stop if driver stops responding. We questioned why just stop in place instead of pull to side. Liability and safety as proved out by Tesla in several deadly crashes - systems are not ready for that function with out a driver to make sure its a safe maneuver. Plus I believe system does use CarNet to call 911 and activates hazard lights.

Jason
If yo uh have a cell phone they can already track everything and offer a discount pizza when the phone hears you talk about pizza.
I guess I live an honest life and don’t worry about those potentials you mention. They can shut me down over the airwaves or throw a nail strip across the road, blow out my tires and I can roll and die that way too.
My response on driving to hospital was just simplifying other thoughts on the thread topic. I love driving so autonomous cars are a tragedy in my opinion regardless of your fears of big brother. I do agree jacket abilities is a serious problem but it is the future of all cars whether we like it our not.

No worries - I just don't like full control take over because of how many hackers or "bad actors" could abuse that access. Unless the car can do this completely on it's own (unlikely anytime soon from what I have seen) and has safe guards to prevent malicious code from being introduced.

You're right - its coming. Also why a lot of people I know (in car biz) are keeping older models much longer.

Jason

Reactions: J Alynn
No worries - I just don't like full control take over because of how many hackers or "bad actors" could abuse that access. Unless the car can do this completely on it's own (unlikely anytime soon from what I have seen) and has safe guards to prevent malicious code from being introduced.

You're right - its coming. Also why a lot of people I know (in car biz) are keeping older models much longer.

Jason
Good reason to keep my legacy Scout 80s ready to go. They only listen to me, not some computer and its satellite. Now, ... ... ... if it were safe to stockpile gasoline.
Damn, I sold the one with the siren and flashing red lights, maybe I should buy it back for real emergencies.

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors