Scout EV - Plug-n-Play interface (Infotainment Idea)

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

tetchema

1st Year Member
Jun 7, 2023
Allen, TX
This idea can be implemented for all vehicles.
Imagine a "CarOS", with unlimited user adaptability.

Just an idea for plug and play interface for accessories, hardware, adaptations and upgrades.

Can be applied to all vehicles:
Personal cars
Ride-Share cars
Rental cars
Commercial vehicles
Work vehicles
Gas vehicles
Diesel vehicles
Bio-Fuel vehicles
Fuel Cell vehicles
Electric vehicles

(Copied from my Notes app, but I have several more ideas for hardware implementations)

Off-Roading Tires:
- [Input] Size
- [Input] PSI
- System would automatically adjust suspension tolerances for turns and determine inertial changes needed to better accommodate the emergency automatic braking system

Off-Roading Quick-Access Menu
- Lights
- Suspension Mods
- Horns
- Tire Inflation System
- Etc...

Commercial Vehicle Accessories:
Commercial - Ambulance
Commercial - Backup Alarms
Commercial - Class A Tractor Trailer (Semi Truck)
Commercial - Food Truck
Commercial - Minibus/Shuttle
Commercial - PA System
Commercial - Sirens
Commercial - Strobe Lights
Commercial - Strobes
Commercial - Tow Truck
Commercial - Wheelchair Ramp

Agricultural/Private Sector Accessories:
Agriculture - Lawn mower
Agriculture - Salt/Sand Spreader
Agriculture - Snow Plow

Trailer Hitch:
Trailer Hitch - Auto-Alignment System
Trailer Hitch - Emergency Stabilizing System for automatic braking
Trailer Hitch - Scale
Trailer Hitch - Trailer regen braking system can recharge tow vehicles battery.

Winter Accessories:
Winter - Brine sprayer for tires
Winter - Caterpillar Tracks mode (for aftermarket tank tracks)
Winter - Headlight Washer Jets
Winter - Headlight Washers
Winter - Headlight Wipers
Winter - Taillight Washer Jets
Winter - Taillight Wipers

Camping Controls:
Camping/Trailer - Sewage Hookup locations
Camping - Shower Attachment with Water Tank
Camping - Solar panels
Camping/Tailgating - Refrigerator

Accessories:
Accessory - Air Compressor
Accessory - Aux Switches
Accessory - Cameras
Accessory - CB Radio
Accessory - Dash Cam(s)
Accessory - Generator
Accessory - Grill (Electric)
Accessory - Retractable Tire Chains
Accessory - Vacuum Cleaner
Accessory - Water Pump

Electric Harnessing:
Solar Panels
Wind Turbine
Power Hookup (campsite)
Power Hookup (emergency for home)

Reactions: Scoutsie
Sorry, but what is all this? Your post doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Reactions: J Alynn
Sorry, but what is all this? Your post doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
I’ll second this? Seems like a lot of excess ideas. I see tractor trailer listed so I’m really scratching my head what this is for? Maybe this can be reposted in layman’s terms so the majority of us can understand your thinking.

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind, but looking at this made me think of the following possible feature, and perhaps this was part of the original idea:

A user (and vendor) extensible infotainment system.

It would consist of a public API that nearby devices could access wirelessly (or wired for that matter). The infotainment system would be accessible just like like a website/server to local devices (smart phones, small dedicated computers, etc). The API would allow you to create a new tab in the infotainment system and fill in the content of that tab with whatever you like. It will also allow access to the precise state of the car at any time and limited ability to control the car (in a guaranteed safe way, no access to steering, brakes, etc!).

For example, someone elsewhere mentioned drones launching from the hood of the car. Using the extensible infotainment system, the drone maker could integrate flying/observing the drone directly into the car. Additionally, if the drone could only be launched and recovered when the car is moving less than 10 mph, it could query the API to get the car speed before enabling the LAUNCH and RETRIEVE buttons.

I'm not sure what folks would use it for, but it does seem like a fun idea to play around with.

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind, but looking at this made me think of the following possible feature, and perhaps this was part of the original idea:

A user (and vendor) extensible infotainment system.

It would consist of a public API that nearby devices could access wirelessly (or wired for that matter). The infotainment system would be accessible just like like a website/server to local devices (smart phones, small dedicated computers, etc). The API would allow you to create a new tab in the infotainment system and fill in the content of that tab with whatever you like. It will also allow access to the precise state of the car at any time and limited ability to control the car (in a guaranteed safe way, no access to steering, brakes, etc!).

For example, someone elsewhere mentioned drones launching from the hood of the car. Using the extensible infotainment system, the drone maker could integrate flying/observing the drone directly into the car. Additionally, if the drone could only be launched and recovered when the car is moving less than 10 mph, it could query the API to get the car speed before enabling the LAUNCH and RETRIEVE buttons.

I'm not sure what folks would use it for, but it does seem like a fun idea to play around with.
This is just my OCD making a list of the most adaptable software.
I have a Mk7.5 GTI and I’ve projected some things I wish I could implement without the need to hard-wire aftermarket accessories.

For the non-US VW Amarok and VW Van, some of these features could be downloaded from “an App Store” for the user to better customize their vehicles.

This is just my OCD making a list of the most adaptable software.
I have a Mk7.5 GTI and I’ve projected some things I wish I could implement without the need to hard-wire aftermarket accessories.

For the non-US VW Amarok and VW Van, some of these features could be downloaded from “an App Store” for the user to better customize their vehicles.
I think recent experience has proved that automanufacturers are not software developers. Specifically looking at VW's ID platform the software systems are not fantastic. I think leaving the "Apps" and other infotainment software development to google and apple in the Apple carplay/android auto environments. Lets encourage the limited software development resources that car manufacturers have to be put towards making sure the car functions as smoothly as possible.

I think OP was asking for a built in way for adding and customizing the vehicle. Some sort of plug and play way to add a winch, or snow plow, or set up offroad preferences beyond factory settings for steering and braking response. Also a basic tool kit/ universal way to upfit for certain jobs such as taxi or emergency vehicle.

Where I work I get to see FHP and local PD Chevys - most of the lights, sirens, computer interfaces and such to the truck look like a 5 yo red neck hooked it up. Very messy and not reliable. Having a preset data and power interface along with standard mounting so everything just plugs in and bolts up would help greatly.

Jason

I think OP was asking for a built in way for adding and customizing the vehicle. Some sort of plug and play way to add a winch, or snow plow, or set up offroad preferences beyond factory settings for steering and braking response. Also a basic tool kit/ universal way to upfit for certain jobs such as taxi or emergency vehicle.

Where I work I get to see FHP and local PD Chevys - most of the lights, sirens, computer interfaces and such to the truck look like a 5 yo red neck hooked it up. Very messy and not reliable. Having a preset data and power interface along with standard mounting so everything just plugs in and bolts up would help greatly.

Jason
Yes sir, that is what I was trying to convey.

This could be used by not only Scout, but across the whole VW board. Seamless implementation, organized wiring, with an interface already available for use.