Scout Design Ideas

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Mistakenly deleted my second post when trying to consolidate both...

I've long awaited the Bronco release and been a day-one reservation holder; The delay is that I've been awaiting the Heritage trim, which I have placed an order on. I think Ford did a remarkable job with the modern vehicle that resembles the gen 1; I hope Scout Motor Co. can do the same.

I'll elaborate on some of the prior recommendations I made.
  • Mount the mirrors to the A-pillar. If you've owned a Jeep, you understand how inconvenient it's been to remove the doors and reinstall the mirrors if your state requires it. Unfortunately, the mirrors are attached to the door hinges and you are left with a vibrating mirror at 60mph.
  • Removable tops and doors-No brainer here. Also, offer the top in white
  • Store doors in the cargo-this may not be a universally popular opinion, but at times I've seen guys chain their doors to trees to prevent theft during trail runs; this eliminates having to do this.
  • Unique edition models- As mentioned above, I've converted my Bronco order to a Heritage model. I love the nostalgia of history. Scout could consider unique models that may remember previous trims (Sport scout-convertible top?, Rallye, SR2, etc.) or develop new trims that set each apart.
  • True offroader-Ford implemented modes (Baja, sport, Sand, Mud, etc.) In addition, Badlands has a sway bar disconnect, etc. Trail turn assist that allows tight manoeuvres around turns. These have all been great features that have generated creativity in the offroad world that will compete directly with Jeep.
  • Mounting point for limb risers to help protect the windshield and, to some degree, the paint/body.
  • Towing capacity, currently, the Jeep Wrangler and Bronco are maxed at 3,500. While this is likely suitable for some, is it enough?
  • Most important to me would be to resemble the Scout 80/800 or Scout II, depending on what direction Scout Motor Co. will go.
    • E.g. If 800, include the body line in the rear corner panels, square frame around round headlights, round tail lights, and hood body lines, and remove the tailgate folding down with possible swing-out tire gate if the spare is attached.
  • Hide Easter eggs throughout; this is fun to find. How can you incorporate the history from the modern vehicle-Can you include the "IH" throughout? Give recognition to the original assembly plant in Fort Wayne, IN. Resemble some of the older interior gauges cluster and markings (E.g. Scout 800A was written on the passenger dash). Feature some of the prior Scout models in the electronics
  • Wash out flooring with drain plugs; for those who will be mudding, allow the ability to take a hose to it.
  • Interior, I miss those retro plaid-style interior options from the Scout II with BUCKET seats! To go along with the last bullet point, make this water-resistant, much like the marine-grade vinyl from the Bronco.
  • Toyota has built a compartment for ice storage in the bed of the Tacoma on some trims. Could this be incorporated into the Scout , perhaps in the rear cargo area or the available "frunk".
  • I love the Rivan R1T hidden storage between the rear seats and bed- what hidden space can be utilized on the Scout? I've seen images of the R1T pullout kitchen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_204244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_204244_Chrome.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20221117_204257_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_204257_Chrome.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221117_204309_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_204309_Chrome.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: FWA Scout II
Rallye package, wagon wheels and plaid seats would be amazing. Couple this with true analog feeling PRNDL and 4Hi/4Lo shifters and you'd have a winner. Electronic buttons to override traction control and simulate differential lock would also be great but if you put a "rear wiper" button on it, I'm out!

Seriously though, keep it fun and memorable like the classics we're sharing with you. We all have stories growing up and I doubt my children have similar experiences with the Minivans, Explorers, and Tahoes they grew up with. Removable hardtop with a roll cage makes this all possible. You don't even have to remove the top to enjoy the fact that you can if you ever want to.

Think of fishing trips in a remote spot along a stream and mix in some of the classic look and feel along with the soon to be.
Adventure out there, set up camp and sit around a fire to share the memories you're about to make possible.

Attachments

• Fishing.jpg
    Fishing.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Shatter an image.jpg
    Shatter an image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Try to keep mine to point and please keep in mind I am not blessed with a past Scout or experiences with one, but do recognize the significance of their heritage and what you are trying to do here.

• Keep it simple and true to the words of “rugged, capable, self sufficient, resilient to abuse (including water), and long lasting.” Not a disposable “poser” vehicle. Don’t offer a watered down urban version. Be off-road. In the words of Yoda “Do or do not. There is no try.”
  • Easy removal install of battery. This should be a long lasting vehicle and battery upgrades should be able to be integrated.
  • Massive skid plate and underbody protection. Imagine a lithium fire in the middle of the woods? Who is liable? I sure don’t want to start a forest fire just because I hit rock. I don’t know what technology exists to mitigate this. Don’t get me wrong I am pro EV and believe they are the future but when these things go putting them out is really hard.
  • Option for battery to be leased separately from truck? Imagine owning this for 10 or 20 years. What new battery tech will there be at that time and who wants to pay for something that will not be upgradable when it is going to be obsolete in just a few years?
  • Sound effects. So the feds mandate sound for BEV vehicles below a certain speed. When you off-roading that could be REALLY annoying as the sounds (think ID4) are intangible from the actual vehicle propulsion. I don’t think a fake V8 sound would be good either, but perhaps options for different sounds and most importantly the ability to turn or off. When off-road this would actually be nice and be more enjoyable.
  • Hitch and towing with a BEV are something I struggle with. I tow 7,500 lbs with a gas V8 and it cuts my range quite a bit. I don’t know what the future holds for this, but others have mentioned a range extending ICE generator. This could be an option and perhaps the so called “frunk” could have mounting and wiring to allow this to be an easy install without some awful wire having to run back to the charging port on the side. This would also require some ventilation and I don’t know how that would work, but would be cool to have a ready made “frunk” for this.
  • Hitch. Please make your specs and ability for Weight Distribution clear and concise. So many European manufacturers don’t understand WD and are against it (I think from Euro caravan lobbying as they have a different approach over there) don’t be influenced by VAG on this.
  • I don’t know if feds make your bumper and headlight height have to be in a range…I think they might. This might be why the first thing people do when they buy a 4x4 is lift it. Please make that easy to do and perhaps have a separate entity provide OE quality parts.
  • Please make fender arches large enough for oversized off-road tires.
  • Please only sell it with off-road good quality tires. So many auto journalists do tests on stock 4x4’s with skimpy low profile crap tires and the one major thing limiting the vehicle is the tires on it (looking at you Touareg for example…I only roll BFG KO2’s on them and BIG difference). BIG sidewall and little wheel.
  • I love the removable top others have mentioned and I also think the two door should be offered as shorter wheelbase (and lighter too) makes a better 4x4.
  • I struggle with how well four electric motors can do move a vehicle up slippery slope when only one wheel has traction. It sounds great, but I feel like either “nanny software” or lack of mechanical coupling might make for a less than desirable experience. Just please rigorously test and make sure if the OLD can do it that the NEW can too.
  • Because this is electric, it might have water forging advantages…if the driver is willing to get wet. Leverage on that with an interior that can take a garden hose or downpour or river. This isn’t a “cell phone on wheels” as someone put it (still dying laughing at that so describes what I feel about modern day cars).
  • Steel bumpers capable of taking pull from winch with power source available for lights, winch, or camping needs.

These are my thoughts. I really am mostly worried about a fire in the woods to be honest. But best of luck and looking forward to news, renderings, sneak peeks and so on.

Last edited:
Winching gets complicated. EVs don't have enough 12v power to handle a winch, so do you beef up that system or create a high-voltage winch? I think I prefer the latter with an 800v winch, but then you're (initially) limited to only that winch with no other aftermarket options or parts.

Rallye package, wagon wheels and plaid seats would be amazing. Couple this with true analog feeling PRNDL and 4Hi/4Lo shifters and you'd have a winner. Electronic buttons to override traction control and simulate differential lock would also be great but if you put a "rear wiper" button on it, I'm out!

Seriously though, keep it fun and memorable like the classics we're sharing with you. We all have stories growing up and I doubt my children have similar experiences with the Minivans, Explorers, and Tahoes they grew up with. Removable hardtop with a roll cage makes this all possible. You don't even have to remove the top to enjoy the fact that you can if you ever want to.

Think of fishing trips in a remote spot along a stream and mix in some of the classic look and feel along with the soon to be.
Adventure out there, set up camp and sit around a fire to share the memories you're about to make possible.
I have mentioned in previous posts how important the split style tail gate it. That is a great picture of it!

My Scout experience is based on a 61 Scout 80, so bear with me on the desire for simplicity. While I have one of the new 2-door broncos (which I do really enjoy), when I heard that there would be a new scout I ran to tell my wife what her next vehicle should be! Fact is, as a car guy and not necessarily a brand loyalist (except ih) I wanted the bronco so I could safely take the family on my car adventures. Edit: I optioned the bronco in a lower spec way to keep costs down, manual, tow, rear locker only (old man spec). Honestly, I can’t put my kids in an early scout with no roll bar or airbags and feel like a good dad.

My wish list for a reborn Scout:
1. First off- yes to plaid! Our scout has crazy marine vinyl off a vintage bass boat which is also an awesome choice. No one wants to drive a scout and be boring.

2. Removable top and doors. This as others have said is non-negotiable to be accepted as a real Scout. I will say in practice I only remove the front tops on my bronco and often they go right back on when I get to the office (aggressive birds there).

3. Simple designs last. 2 different scouts each with about a 10 year run with ‘minimal’ changes means they are recognizable, somewhat interchangeable on parts (like grilles as others have said) and lend themselves to some owner customization.

4. No tablets on my dash. I find myself trying to turn off screens. In my Scout, I’m listening for weird noises not focused on dash. Honestly I don’t want to know every detail about the vehicle all the time. Also use real buttons and knobs for radio/ heat.

5. Have a 2-door option. Does my 2-door bronco do family outings with kids, stuff, etc? Yes it does, but sometimes we take my wife’s grand Cherokee. I will say if there is a wheelbase debate, I sure wouldn’t mind having about 8-12 more inches of trunk space in the bronco.

6. Roof racks and tow hitches. Make them either standard or an easy thing to add. Had to option both on bronco. For us it’s boat stuff, but in the winter it will be skis or a cargo box. Scout owners do stuff or as someone mentioned aspire to. We don’t tow anything huge, but if you make a 4-door or truck give them progressively better town capacity.

7. Folding windshield! I dig the folding windshield on our scout. With doors and top off there is nothing that looks as good to me. Reality is it would have to live in that state at our (non-existent) lake cabin for short trips to town. But again, the aspirational pull of people and vehicles and adventure is strong. Even if you never fold it down, or get that cabin, it helps sell.

8. Match some real colors and reference their year and original name. Maybe one a year for throwbacks. Better get the orange right.

9. Bench seat. Since I don’t think we’re going to see the full tractor shift program on a trans tunnel let’s see a bench seat option!

10. Jerry can electric range extender. Literally a battery the shape of old jerry can with a cord/ plug and a standard holder on the bumper so you can swap and extend your range a bit. Edit: there is a range thread discussion elsewhere in the forum that is right there on this same idea, just needs the branding/ visuals to take off. It’s a bit hokey, but fun. Make them a standard swappable element at scout dealers and scout ‘outposts’ (scoutpost!) where you can refuel, grab a coffee and bs about scouts. Sell plaid shirts,
canoes, and axes if the spirit moves you. Idea #10 should probably be moved up in my ranking.

Last edited:
My Scout experience is based on a 61 Scout 80, so bear with me on the desire for simplicity. While I have one of the new 2-door broncos (which I do really enjoy), when I heard that there would be a new scout I ran to tell my wife what her next vehicle should be! Fact is, as a car guy and not necessarily a brand loyalist (except ih) I wanted the bronco so I could safely take the family on my car adventures. Edit: I optioned the bronco in a lower spec way to keep costs down, manual, tow, rear locker only (old man spec). Honestly, I can’t put my kids in an early scout with no roll bar or airbags and feel like a good dad.

1. First off- yes to plaid! Our scout has crazy marine vinyl off a vintage bass boat which is also an awesome choice. No one wants to drive a scout and be boring.

2. Removable top and doors. This as others have said is non-negotiable to be accepted as a real Scout. I will say in practice I only remove the front tops on my bronco and often they go right back on when I get to the office (aggressive birds there).

3. Simple designs last. 2 different scouts each with about a 10 year run with ‘minimal’ changes means they are recognizable, somewhat interchangeable on parts (like grilles as others have said) and lend themselves to some owner customization.

4. No tablets on my dash. I find myself trying to turn off screens. In my Scout, I’m listening for weird noises not focused on dash. Honestly I don’t want to know every detail about the vehicle all the time. Also use real buttons and knobs for radio/ heat.

5. Have a 2-door option. Does my 2-door bronco do family outings with kids, stuff, etc? Yes it does, but sometimes we take my wife’s grand Cherokee. I will say if there is a wheelbase debate, I sure wouldn’t mind having about 8-12 more inches of trunk space in the bronco.

6. Roof racks and tow hitches. Make them either standard or an easy thing to add. Had to option both on bronco. For us it’s boat stuff, but in the winter it will be skis or a cargo box. Scout owners do stuff or as someone mentioned aspire to. We don’t tow anything huge, but if you make a 4-door or truck give them progressively better town capacity.

7. Folding windshield! I dig the folding windshield on our scout. With doors and top off there is nothing that looks as good to me. Reality is it would have to live in that state at our (non-existent) lake cabin for short trips to town. But again, the aspirational pull of people and vehicles and adventure is strong. Even if you never fold it down, or get that cabin, it helps sell.

8. Match some real colors and reference their year and original name. Maybe one a year for throwbacks. Better get the orange right.

9. Bench seat. Since I don’t think we’re going to see the full tractor shift program on a trans tunnel let’s see a bench seat option!

10. Jerry can electric range extender. Literally a battery the shape of old jerry can with a cord/ plug and a standard holder on the bumper so you can swap and extend your range a bit. Edit: there is a range thread discussion elsewhere in the forum that is right there on this same idea, just needs the branding/ visuals to take off. It’s a bit hokey, but fun. Make them a standard swappable element at scout dealers and scout ‘outposts’ (scoutpost!) where you can refuel, grab a coffee and bs about scouts. Sell plaid shirts,
canoes, and axes if the spirit moves you. Idea #10 should probably be moved up in my ranking.
I said the exact same thing about the Jerry can! I think it’s such a cool idea! I’m right there with you on all your thoughts!

I said the exact same thing about the Jerry can! I think it’s such a cool idea! I’m right there with you on all your thoughts!
You nailed it like three days ago! I have range anxiety a bit being in Alaska, but do see a ton of teslas around Anchorage. For the 12 miles I drive most days, electric would be perfect. For longer trips I definitely don’t want to stop and hang out for longer than a normal fill up if possible.

I can think of a few reasons why batteries large enough to extend range shouldn't be mounted to the outside of a vehicle... Personally, I think Mazda's Rotary Range-Extender would be the way to go.

"Mazda is synonymous with the rotary engine but has other reasons for employing it in the MX-30 Range Extender. It is compact and significantly lighter than a comparable reciprocating engine and can easily be integrated into an EV. The “unparalleled smoothness and quietness of operation” because of its unique working principle would ensure that the fitment of a gas-powered engine doesn’t take away the calm and comfortable EV driving experience from the MX-30 EV."

Do it, Scout Motors... I DARE YA!

Reactions: Bodie
I can think of a few reasons why batteries large enough to extend range shouldn't be mounted to the outside of a vehicle... Personally, I think Mazda's Rotary Range-Extender would be the way to go.

"Mazda is synonymous with the rotary engine but has other reasons for employing it in the MX-30 Range Extender. It is compact and significantly lighter than a comparable reciprocating engine and can easily be integrated into an EV. The “unparalleled smoothness and quietness of operation” because of its unique working principle would ensure that the fitment of a gas-powered engine doesn’t take away the calm and comfortable EV driving experience from the MX-30 EV."

Do it, Scout Motors... I DARE YA!
I don’t want to get into a ICE vs BEV debate. But, Scout has only mentioned the new vehicle being electric. I am very doubtful they will invest in any sort of gas or diesel range extender/generator. It will add cost and complexity that I’m sure they would rather avoid. Here’s to hoping they come up with a range solution for those that need it.

Reactions: Spiegelglatt
I don’t want to get into a ICE vs BEV debate. But, Scout has only mentioned the new vehicle being electric. I am very doubtful they will invest in any sort of gas or diesel range extender/generator. It will add cost and complexity that I’m sure they would rather avoid. Here’s to hoping they come up with a range solution for those that need it.
I agree that adding a permanent ICE motor is not likely because the added complexity and the fact you would be carrying more weight around and not likely using it as much as one would think.

I really think the best option is prepping the “frunk” for a generator to be strapped in and used on the fly and in its place. This requires at least:

Exhaust pipe (that can easily be decoupled for generator removal) that gets the carbon monoxide away so it doesn’t come into the cab while driving (so you could run it while driving).

Adding air duct for both fresh air for the generator to run on as well as ventilation so it doesn’t overheat.

Prewiring the “frunk” for plug to charge within the space.

A 240V generator should fit just fine and allow additional range. I realize this doesn’t recharge in record time, but it would allow you to charge while driving, while parked, when there is a power outage, and when you otherwise need to have a generator (since it is removable). There is also V2H…meaning you could use your Scout potentially to power part of your house in a power out and have your generator securely running in your vehicle (these get stolen a lot - especially in power outs).

Reactions: Bodie and IdahoJOAT
I agree that adding a permanent ICE motor is not likely because the added complexity and the fact you would be carrying more weight around and not likely using it as much as one would think.

I really think the best option is prepping the “frunk” for a generator to be strapped in and used on the fly and in its place. This requires at least:

Exhaust pipe (that can easily be decoupled for generator removal) that gets the carbon monoxide away so it doesn’t come into the cab while driving (so you could run it while driving).

Adding air duct for both fresh air for the generator to run on as well as ventilation so it doesn’t overheat.

Prewiring the “frunk” for plug to charge within the space.

A 240V generator should fit just fine and allow additional range. I realize this doesn’t recharge in record time, but it would allow you to charge while driving, while parked, when there is a power outage, and when you otherwise need to have a generator (since it is removable). There is also V2H…meaning you could use your Scout potentially to power part of your house in a power out and have your generator securely running in your vehicle (these get stolen a lot - especially in power outs).
I thought a pancake-shaped, low weight rotary generator would fit well on the back like a Spare Tire, and could draw fuel from a nearby jerrycan.

Reactions: Spiegelglatt
I thought a pancake-shaped, low weight rotary generator would fit well on the back like a Spare Tire, and could draw fuel from a nearby jerrycan.
I like this too, but don’t want a plug around the side to a port while driving. If they could somehow do a port at base of the swing arm this would be mounted on this could work-more simple for exhaust and ventilation that is for sure. Would need to be secured-around here people steal everything sadly.

I’m probably going to get some flak for this… I just do not see the point of an onboard gas generator for an electric vehicle. We’re trying to get away from gasoline. I know it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. When we switched from wagons to cars people didn’t bring along a horse to pull it when it ran out of gas. I’m still convinced that a precharged E Jerry can is the range extender answer for overland trips. It could even have a solar charger on it for while it’s on the vehicle. Even with that most people won’t even need it. I’m sure the Scout will have at least 300 miles of range. That’s a lot when you think about it. There will be so many more fast chargers by the time it’s out. I think we’re going to be good to go. Again, I currently have a Tesla and have never had range anxiety issues. I understand the infrastructure is not fully there yet in every location. But it gets better every day.

I’m probably going to get some flak for this… I just do not see the point of an onboard gas generator for an electric vehicle. We’re trying to get away from gasoline. I know it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. When we switched from wagons to cars people didn’t bring along a horse to pull it when it ran out of gas. I’m still convinced that a precharged E Jerry can is the range extender answer for overland trips. It could even have a solar charger on it for while it’s on the vehicle. Even with that most people won’t even need it. I’m sure the Scout will have at least 300 miles of range. That’s a lot when you think about it. There will be so many more fast chargers by the time it’s out. I think we’re going to be good to go. Again, I currently have a Tesla and have never had range anxiety issues. I understand the infrastructure is not fully there yet in every location. But it gets better every day.
To an extend I agree, but this is a vehicle for self sufficiency and in rural / remote areas. Also, towing cuts range of anything (ICE/BEV) so much that something is needed that has a high energy density (and it is still not possible to beat petroleum products at this point) to charge on the fly. I think developments in battery technology will eventually get us there but at this point if I wanted to convert my Touareg to electric and then tow my existing 7,500 lbs travel trailer my range is going to be not useful as a BEV. Right now my range in my V8 is around 360 miles in a full tank (28 gallon tank less 4 gallons reserved at 15 mpg) but towing it is 240 miles (10 mpg same reserve and tank size obviously). There is one hill climb on 101 here in Oregon where I can actually watch my fuel gauge needle moving down during the climb. In BEV with a range of 300 miles the useful range will drop too much…I recently have read of a Motortrend tow test Here is article on the F150 lightening where a trailer nearly identical to mine in weight and air dam was only able to be towed 90 miles!!! That is doesn’t work without a range extender.

There are other benefits of a range extender generator when done right like being able to charge in a power outage-something that as a prepared and self sufficient guy I want to be able to do. In 2021 we had a week long power outage. We used a little Honda generator to power out blower on our gas fireplace, fridge, Wi-Fi, smart tv and some lights…it made a BIG difference for us versus those that pretty much suffered without heat or lights for a week and there were hundreds of thousands of those folks around me.

Last edited:

Love the Scoutpost. That idea is BRILLIANT