Not sure about the all electric I prefer gasoline

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Fresh water or saltwater, an electric vehicle will suffer when going into a flooded area. If you totally encapsulated the vehicle to protect the many electrical systems, the vehicle would float. Then you would have a boat.

Fresh water or saltwater, an electric vehicle will suffer when going into a flooded area. If you totally encapsulated the vehicle to protect the many electrical systems, the vehicle would float. Then you would have a boat.
Correct-but at that point an ICE vehicle is destroyed as well so it seems like a mute point. Again-my argument is toward the use. Most people with common sense aren’t driving into a lake or ocean. The comments IMO were addressing water fording and also having a knowledge of what you are getting into when fording and understanding depths and let’s call it exposure time. It’s not a horse where you tie it so it can cool down in the water from the heat. If rating is 8” or 25” you need to have knowledge of your vehicles limits. And at 25” it better have damn good door seals.
If you drive either vehicle type off a cliff then for a brief moment you could say they are airplanes but it’s a rare, sad and/or delusional occasion but again-it’s a car. Know your vehicle and its limits and you shouldn’t need to worry about it

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
It seems your focus is on common sense.

There was a time when automobile manufacturers gave you the tune up specifications on a card, now they tell you not to drink the battery acid, don't put your fingers in the area of the fan. Common sense is not so common.

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn
It seems your focus is on common sense.

There was a time when automobile manufacturers gave you the tune up specifications on a card, now they tell you not to drink the battery acid, don't put your fingers in the area of the fan. Common sense is not so common.
Those people buy Camrys, Hyundai's and Nissan Sentra’s. I’d hope those who are buying Scouts are a touch more intelligent BUT I’m on the Bronco6G page enough to see a number of those folks missed the common sense gene so your point is spot on

Those people buy Camrys, Hyundai's and Nissan Sentra’s. I’d hope those who are buying Scouts are a touch more intelligent BUT I’m on the Bronco6G page enough to see a number of those folks missed the common sense gene so your point is spot on
I just picked some cars/brands that jumped in my mind based on people I know that did dumb things. Not intending to offend anyone on here that drives anything I listed 😀

Here in Florida we have neighborhoods that experience rising water into the streets occasionally and not just during tropical systems.

The mindset of a few of the locals is "I got four wheel drive" or "I have to get to the school and pickup junior". They drive through the standing water and at times throw a wake over passersby hoods. The vehicles range from high end to disposables but with the same disregard for others or their investments.

The majority of these incidents involve those with no common sense.

Microsoft actually just hired a big wig from the TVA to lead their microreactor strategy to power their data centers. It'll be interesting to see where they take small nuclear reactor tech.
Wow! That's super cool. I hope it's something that I can see in large scale use in my lifetime.

It says it right in the article - salt water.

Salt water is corrosive. There's a big difference between fording water and a vehicle being drowned in salt water from a hurricane. ICE vehicles don't fare well after being drowned in salt water either. If you want to really get into it we can talk about how it also has to do with the battery chemistry Tesla uses as well. Newer chemistries like LFP or even sodium batteries aren't flammable and won't have those issues but I still wouldn't expect a vehicle drowned in salt water to work normally regardless of the battery chemistry.

Consumer Reports recent member survey on "most satisfying" cars has Rivian R1T at #2 (just behind the Corvette) and R1S at #6. Hyundai Ioniq 6 at #10. None of the "least satisfying" are EVs. People like their electric cars. They can do more things than ICE. Nothing can do everything, but a good EV is next level.

People like what they like. If they want to venture out and try something different then they should have that option.
Technology has been advancing at a greater pace and some are more hesitant to jump in on the total ev bandwagon. They are not wrong for that.
Scout is an icon of our country’s history. Some people would just like to have the option of an ice, hybrid or ev. Whatever suits them.
It’s all about having the option to get what you would want. I personally feel that Scout Motors is missing the point of going ev only, especially on such a piece of American history.
With an ev only I don’t think they can compete against Bronco or Jeep. And by the way, wasn’t it the Nissan Cube that was allowing all the “ great things that people wanted in their dream car” input about the vehicles design?
I really want good things for the new Scout. Just my thoughts so now I’ll stand by and prepare for the bashing that is likely to come

Reactions: J. Sweat
People like what they like. If they want to venture out and try something different then they should have that option.
Technology has been advancing at a greater pace and some are more hesitant to jump in on the total ev bandwagon. They are not wrong for that.
Scout is an icon of our country’s history. Some people would just like to have the option of an ice, hybrid or ev. Whatever suits them.
It’s all about having the option to get what you would want. I personally feel that Scout Motors is missing the point of going ev only, especially on such a piece of American history.
With an ev only I don’t think they can compete against Bronco or Jeep. And by the way, wasn’t it the Nissan Cube that was allowing all the “ great things that people wanted in their dream car” input about the vehicles design?
I really want good things for the new Scout. Just my thoughts so now I’ll stand by and prepare for the bashing that is likely to come
If you want to have a fossil vehicle Toyota will have you covered right up until they go bankrupt sometime in the next decade or so.

Scout is starting new and is correct to clean sheet a modern 21st century vehicle.

Like it or not the future is electric. Scout would be foolish to tie a fossil-albatross around its neck. It would be a waste of money and resources on what will soon be a stranded asset. The existing legacy automakers are already struggling enough to make the transition without going belly up, Scout is fortunate that they don't have to develop a fossil platform that will be obsolete in ten years (and arguably already is obsolete!)

With an ev only I don’t think they can compete against Bronco or Jeep.

If the new Scout was designed as a hybrid, Scout would be forced to compete with Jeep (and by default, be viewed as a laggard).

As a "pure" BEV built on an entirely new platform (with what will likely be way better performance, storage and drive capability both on and off road), Jeep will be the instant laggard.

Personally, if I saw Scout re-launch as a hybrid, I would turn around and walk away - FAST>>>>>>>>>

Can't say I have seen a single production "hybrid" that got me excited for the future - not one. In fact, they are all pretty "mid".

Who launches a whole new company and re-launches a brand with an aspiration to build a mid truck? Just one counter-point and 1 opinion.

And, there are plenty of other vehicles out there that offer obsolete technology today (like the new Toyota). Probably Toyota's best refresh in 20 years is this new LandRover, but if they can't build themselves an electric pick up off that platform, they really have dug themselves into a very deep hole in Japan.

I’m fine with the new Scout being BEV, although hybrid would be better for for my personal use outdoors and also for SM’s business (I know, too late). I don’t think there are many people paying close attention to the auto market over the past year still saying that Toyota was wrong for sticking to its incredible hybrid system, but everyone called Toyota crazy for the past couple years before that.

Last edited:
I’m fine with the new Scout being BEV, although hybrid would be better for for my personal use outdoors and also for SM’s business (I know, too late). I don’t think there are many people paying close attention to the auto market over the past year still saying that Toyota was wrong for sticking to its incredible hybrid system, but everyone called Toyota crazy for the past couple years before that.
Oh there are definitely people still saying Toyota was wrong to stick with hybrid. Anyone paying attention has serious concerns about Toyota's viability going forward as they don't seem to be taking EVs seriously enough. Don't believe the hype and spin, Toyota is losing market share in some very important markets because they don't offer any compelling EVs. Hybrids are on the way out and haven't grown in market share for many years now. They're a side show.

Reactions: R1TVT and J Alynn
Toyota was so deep into the Japanese oil lobby pockets that they get seriously stuck - They then lost all of the competitive advantage they would have had back in 1997 with the Prius, long, long, ago...

another reason for gassers is that they are lighter, if im stuck in the mud or on a wet mountain trail and get stuck, can i jack or winch them out of the problem if i have another half ton or so of weight, will i be able to jack them out, or will my jack sink, will i get too deep in the mud and too heavy for a winch to jerk me out, can i get five gallons of battery to put in my tank when the battery goes dead in the back country?

another reason for gassers is that they are lighter, if im stuck in the mud or on a wet mountain trail and get stuck, can i jack or winch them out of the problem if i have another half ton or so of weight, will i be able to jack them out, or will my jack sink, will i get too deep in the mud and too heavy for a winch to jerk me out, can i get five gallons of battery to put in my tank when the battery goes dead in the back country?
Vehicles have been putting on weight for years before EVs even entered the scene. Modern off-roaders like the Wrangler and Bronco are WAY heavier now than their previous iterations and it has nothing to do with powertrains. Heck, the most popular Wrangler today is significantly larger and has four doors which wasn't even a thing back in the '80's and '90's. Vehicles are heavy regardless of powertrain so if your jack is going to sink in the mud it won't make a difference if it's a gas or EV you're trying to recover.

As for the "five gallons of battery" you actually can do that in the back country pretty easily. While you can't refine your own gasoline you CAN make your own electricity. Not only that but the power grid is much more extensive than the gas station network. Camp sites have electrical plugs. Random little shacks often even have electricity. If you're really stuck just look for somewhere with a light on and you're good to go and if you're really hardcore you can always bring along some solar panels and a solar inverter (they aren't that expensive) and recharge the vehicle while you do other stuff. So there are definitely ways and options if that's really a worry.

Reactions: J Alynn