Not sure about the all electric I prefer gasoline

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

stephenwelter

Jan 23, 2024
Just checking this out. My father had a small International dealership back in the 70's 80's and 90's. I was disappointed when international discontinued the Scout line. I am not sure about you all bringing it back as just an electric vehicle. I am a true gasoline power vehicle person. I wish you the best of luck. I would prefer gasoline over electric.

That is what I would hope. Ford sounds like they are giving up on the F150 lighting. Gm is cutting back on their electric vehicles seems sales are not there. Scouts never had anything to do with electric power. I think making it all electric is just going to make it more expensive.

Reactions: J. Sweat
Electric drive is the future and superior to gas power in many important ways. I understand that it's new and unknown for many people which causes concern and trepidation but gas vehicles are on the way out just like steam locomotives and horses before them. Scout would be foolish trying to develop a new combustion-based vehicle in the 21st Century. By the middle of next decade essentially all new vehicle sales will be battery electric. Combustion engine days are numbered and companies like VW, BMW and Hyundai are well aware of that.

Ford isn't "giving up" on the Lightning, they're actually developing a new clean-sheet electric pickup truck. Ford is having profitability and sales issues because it can't make the Lightning cheap enough yet and people have stopped buying $100k vehicles. A company like Hyundai on the other hand with affordable electric vehicles can't keep them in stock and has years long waiting lists for some popular models like the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

The future is definitely electric. They're simply better vehicles.

Electric cars seem to have a long way to go. Charging times are still pretty long. Actual range needs more work also. Then try and tow a boat or camper with electric and watch the range drop considerably. I am in Ohio and the cold winters will affect the battery also. Even gas powered vans these days are made to meet the mileage standards. Smaller with less room. I have a family of five and yes they fit in our 2013 Ford Explorer but not much room for luggage for trips. I have a wife and three daughters and they like to pack everything. Scouts had a reputation for being reliable, off road worthy, and real work horses. In Ohio we had a lot of people who plowed snow with Scouts. Scout Motors will have big shoes to fill. I am still not sold on the Electric idea.

I see the pictures from Scout Nationals I am curious if Scout Motors have talked to those people and what kind of reaction they got when they were told it would be an all electric vehicle.

I get it but the ship has sailed, the train has left the station, the bird has flown and the toothpaste is out of the tube. The new Scout is going to be electric whether you’re sold on it or not. If you want a gas powered Scout, buy one. If you want a new gas powered Scout, the best you can do is buy a Bronco and re-badge it.

If VW wanted a "new" ICE offroad vehicle they could have done so on the cheap by partnering with Ford as they have for their not'sold-in-USA Ranger based pickup Amorak.

Electric cars seem to have a long way to go. Charging times are still pretty long. Actual range needs more work also. Then try and tow a boat or camper with electric and watch the range drop considerably. I am in Ohio and the cold winters will affect the battery also. Even gas powered vans these days are made to meet the mileage standards. Smaller with less room. I have a family of five and yes they fit in our 2013 Ford Explorer but not much room for luggage for trips. I have a wife and three daughters and they like to pack everything. Scouts had a reputation for being reliable, off road worthy, and real work horses. In Ohio we had a lot of people who plowed snow with Scouts. Scout Motors will have big shoes to fill. I am still not sold on the Electric idea.

I see the pictures from Scout Nationals I am curious if Scout Motors have talked to those people and what kind of reaction they got when they were told it would be an all electric vehicle.
Electric cars are a lot farther along than you seem to think. Charging times are shorter than a restroom stop - usually about 15 mins for me ( and I typically do other stuff like eat or use the washroom while the car does a fast-charge), actual range has been equivalent to a 'tank of gas' for years now. Towing does hurt range but it really depends on what you're towing. Towing hurts range on fossil vehicles too because physics but they're so inefficient to begin with you likely don't notice the extra tank of gas you need to buy when towing. The biggest problem towing with an EV today is that most chargers aren't pull-through yet which is annoying. I'm in Canada and do long road trips regularly in the winter, EVs do just fine in the cold and snow. I literally just did a 400 km trip toady through middle-of-nowhere-Ontario non-stop without recharging. It was a non-event and the quicker acceleration EVs offer really helps when trying to pass slow fossil pickup trucks on the twisty back-roads with short passing opportunities.

Electric cars are a lot farther along than you seem to think. Charging times are shorter than a restroom stop - usually about 15 mins for me ( and I typically do other stuff like eat or use the washroom while the car does a fast-charge), actual range has been equivalent to a 'tank of gas' for years now. Towing does hurt range but it really depends on what you're towing. Towing hurts range on fossil vehicles too because physics but they're so inefficient to begin with you likely don't notice the extra tank of gas you need to buy when towing. The biggest problem towing with an EV today is that most chargers aren't pull-through yet which is annoying. I'm in Canada and do long road trips regularly in the winter, EVs do just fine in the cold and snow. I literally just did a 400 km trip toady through middle-of-nowhere-Ontario non-stop without recharging. It was a non-event and the quicker acceleration EVs offer really helps when trying to pass slow fossil pickup trucks on the twisty back-roads with short passing opportunities.
I am curious what EV do you drive?

I am also curious if the Electric Scout will be able to cross the stream/creek that you see in some of the video's of the old Scout's. Any one want to be the one to test that?

I am also curious if the Electric Scout will be able to cross the stream/creek that you see in some of the video's of the old Scout's. Any one want to be the one to test that?
I don't see why it wouldn't be able to. Electric vehicles don't need air intakes and the batteries and everything are already waterproof so the main limiting factor for any EV in water is usually buoyancy. Lots of videos online of Teslas and other EVs driving down flooded streets just fine and right past stalled fossil cars.

The other limiting factor is water intrusion.

My R1T has double door seals which allow for some incredible water fording stats:

What is the water fording height?​

Depending on your suspension settings and wheel size, the maximum water fording height of the R1T is 43.1 inches and the height of the R1S is 43.2 inches.

Sure. 100 year old tech is tried and true. The first Ford model T was blasted since the good old horse was more reliable and cheaper. Tech caught up and things changed. Engines, parts, GAS got better and cheaper. This is no different. It takes money to create change and science to usher it in. Oil is an old tech and EV/solar are the thing. Eventually, in a hundred more years our flying vehicles will probably be nuclear. The EV crowd will protest the new tech the same way we fight over gas vs electric now. LOL

Sure. 100 year old tech is tried and true. The first Ford model T was blasted since the good old horse was more reliable and cheaper. Tech caught up and things changed. Engines, parts, GAS got better and cheaper. This is no different. It takes money to create change and science to usher it in. Oil is an old tech and EV/solar are the thing. Eventually, in a hundred more years our flying vehicles will probably be nuclear. The EV crowd will protest the new tech the same way we fight over gas vs electric now. LOL
Microsoft actually just hired a big wig from the TVA to lead their microreactor strategy to power their data centers. It'll be interesting to see where they take small nuclear reactor tech.

Reactions: ddg520 and J Alynn
I don't see why it wouldn't be able to. Electric vehicles don't need air intakes and the batteries and everything are already waterproof so the main limiting factor for any EV in water is usually buoyancy. Lots of videos online of Teslas and other EVs driving down flooded streets just fine and right past stalled fossil cars.
How do you explain this?