Buttons vs screens

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I like when the volume button is on the back, right side of the steering wheel, and the next/seek buttons is on the back, left side of the steering wheel. Easy to find with index and middle finger while driving.

Regarding the ergonomics statement, one other thing that drives me crazy when I hop in my wife's car is the added lever/switches on the right side of the steering column for front and back windshield wipers/sprayers. Most every vehicle I've driven has that on the left side and is a simple turn of a knob on the end for the front windshield wiper options, while the rear options can be found on the dash. It never fails in the wife's car I go to turn on the front wipers and end up turning on the back....or I have to stare at it to remember how to spray the back. Fair to poke fun saying operator error on my part....annoying non the less.
And if we are drilling down into ergonomic details, another minor 👍 on my Chevy vs wife's Nissan is the cruise control options on the left instead of the right side of the steering wheel. Reason being I find myself driving with my left arm resting on the door and it is nice to click that resume speed button with same hand. (Side note: also like on Chevy that you don't have to turn on cruise control each time you restart your vehicle)

I like when the volume button is on the back, right side of the steering wheel, and the next/seek buttons is on the back, left side of the steering wheel. Easy to find with index and middle finger while driving.

Regarding the ergonomics statement, one other thing that drives me crazy when I hop in my wife's car is the added lever/switches on the right side of the steering column for front and back windshield wipers/sprayers. Most every vehicle I've driven has that on the left side and is a simple turn of a knob on the end for the front windshield wiper options, while the rear options can be found on the dash. It never fails in the wife's car I go to turn on the front wipers and end up turning on the back....or I have to stare at it to remember how to spray the back. Fair to poke fun saying operator error on my part....annoying non the less.
I’ve found US vehicles and Japanese vehicles seem to flip flop things in a similar manner to what you are saying. I’ve had same issues with wiper stalks. Would be interesting to know why. I don’t recall if European cars are more similar to US or Japanese but must be reasons they choose one way over another. So long as I can find it without looking away from the road I guess I’ll get used to it as a daily driver. I’m a lefty too so I notice things like that since world is predominantly right handed-maybe that’s a reason for decisions

Reactions: amylambhall
I’ve found US vehicles and Japanese vehicles seem to flip flop things in a similar manner to what you are saying. I’ve had same issues with wiper stalks. Would be interesting to know why. I don’t recall if European cars are more similar to US or Japanese but must be reasons they choose one way over another. So long as I can find it without looking away from the road I guess I’ll get used to it as a daily driver. I’m a lefty too so I notice things like that since world is predominantly right handed-maybe that’s a reason for decisions

Countries where they drive right-hand drive cars on the opposite side of the road, often have the controls you mention on opposite sides as well. Always exceptions of course.

Please, nothing on the touch screen except

1) rarely used settings normally changed when the vehicle is parked
2) navigation/entertainment with CarPlay option
3) Camera feeds or other realtime data feeds

Everything that changes a function in the vehicle whilst driving including AC, temp, fans etc needs to have physical controls.

The problem with putting controls on a touch screen is that is makes also having a good physical control impossible. You can’t have both. Why? Because good physical controls indicate their state through their position. This is super important because it makes it possible for the driver to operate controls blindly. The driver can just reach out and touch something to know whether is it on or off or high or low. If a control for a physical switch or dial or lever is also added to a touch screen, changing it on the touch screen would require the physical control to be motorized so that it can move, or else the physical control would be in the wrong position. The importance of physical control position has been completely overlooked by recent vehicle designers. They threw stuff onto the touch screen and either got rid of physical controls or made them stateless.

There are some acceptable compromises. For example, physical audio volume controls can spin infinitely, so in this case position does not mean anything and that is o.k. for changing volume up and down. But in most other cases physical position is very important.

I’m not against technology. Far from it! I would like to see the new CarPlay (previewed by Apple about a year ago). This gives manufacturers a way to add their own branding to CarPlay and also to allow the user to customize some displays to the way they would prefer them to look. It also allows for data from carPlay apps to be sent to multiple displays in the car. Some of the CarPlay data should be on the display right in front of the driver so that the driver has less of a need to look over at the touch screen.

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
As the designated "touch screens aren't that bad" guy i felt i had to respond. First i want to state my position that i don't want a tesla screen only style. Much of my arguments are challenging people's perceptions and to point out inaccuracies in thinking or logic. with that being said lets get in to it:

Everything that changes a function in the vehicle whilst driving including AC, temp, fans etc needs to have physical controls.
Honestly why? if you are changing the temperature and you grab the dial how many people can honestly say that they turn the dial and never take their eyes of the road. I guarantee that nearly everyone will glance at the knob, look back a the road, grab the knob, give it a turn then look back at the knob to make sure it is where you wanted it to be...or if it changes to a temperature number you will look at that number to make sure it was the number you wanted. This is no different than in my tesla, I look at the screen, move my hand and hook my fingers under the spot and press a few times, then i look back to make sure i pressed it the right amount of times.

The problem with putting controls on a touch screen is that is makes also having a good physical control impossible. You can’t have both. Why? Because good physical controls indicate their state through their position.
Except when it is a button with an LED indicator of status....many physical buttons don't have any positional status at all, you just press it and it changes something on the dash. the vast majority of buttons / levers etc do not indicate their status and are instead just membrane buttons like on a keyboard that get pressed, indicate something to the computer, and return to their neutral status.

This is super important because it makes it possible for the driver to operate controls blindly.
to my point earlier, how many people ACTUALLY never take their eyes off the road for a second when pressing buttons? Additionally very few functions need to be changed Immediately and urgently in the middle of driving.(things like windshield wipers or headlights)....if there is a tense moment of driving i don't think changing the AC is a critical function at that moment in time. I would argue that while making a turn through traffic most people are not adjusting their AC or changing radio stations or doing anything other than paying attention to the road.

The driver can just reach out and touch something to know whether is it on or off or high or low. If a control for a physical switch or dial or lever is also added to a touch screen, changing it on the touch screen would require the physical control to be motorized so that it can move, or else the physical control would be in the wrong position.
I would agree that if something needs to have a lever to physically set the position then sure it shouldn't be controlled by the computer or by the touch screen, but what are some examples of things that should be like this? the first thing to consider is the scout will be all electric. so even things that ordinarily would be physical changes to the vehicle such as 4wd would all be done electronically. So why does a physical lever need to be done. Additionally in a traditional truck you might have a lever to indicate if you are in 4WD-H 4WD-L or 2WD. but aside from that being a physical lever that does something physical, why does that need to be in a position to indicate it. Is someone driving along glued to the road and needing to feel around the cabin to find out if their vehicle is in 4wd or not? additionally many traditional ICE vehicles have a button that either turns on or off 4wd because it will phsycially engage the transfer case with an electric motor. and those buttons may or may not even have an LED indicator on them. Most of what i've seen are a dial that does nothing but puts a yellow picture of 4 wheels on the dashboard.

The importance of physical control position has been completely overlooked by recent vehicle designers. They threw stuff onto the touch screen and either got rid of physical controls or made them stateless.

There are some acceptable compromises. For example, physical audio volume controls can spin infinitely, so in this case position does not mean anything and that is o.k. for changing volume up and down. But in most other cases physical position is very important.

I’m not against technology. Far from it! I would like to see the new CarPlay (previewed by Apple about a year ago). This gives manufacturers a way to add their own branding to CarPlay and also to allow the user to customize some displays to the way they would prefer them to look. It also allows for data from carPlay apps to be sent to multiple displays in the car. Some of the CarPlay data should be on the display right in front of the driver so that the driver has less of a need to look over at the touch screen.

I want to re-iterate my position. I am not suggesting all controls should be on a touch screen, I'm mainly here to challenge some of these perceptions that physical controls are always used without looking. In a different post on this thread i shared a story about my father who was 100% insistent that he never takes his eyes off the road to adjust anything and my stupid tesla screen was ruining cars. The next time i drove with him i pointed out each time he took his eyes off the road to adjust the AC, to shift into gear, to change the settings of the windshield wipers, to turn up the radio.

I just want everybody to be open and honest in their analysis of what is "NEEDED" and not. Everybody takes their eyes off the road.

My other point is that given that the new scout will be all electric everything will be done electronically and everything needs to go through the central computer. Given that everything costs money (designing, resourcing, logistics, manufacturing) why should we design a special button to change the radio from AM to FM keeping in mind that it will need to be integrated into the dash or center console just to have a small controller set behind it, just to have a wire to then feed back into the central computer. It is much faster and cost effective to just keep it on the screen.

My final point (sorry, lots to say); If there was one word that would describe a original scout's dashboard i would say "minimalistic" or "simple" would come to most people's minds. What is also the term that everybody used to describe the tesla model 3's dashboard?...."minimalistic" and "simplistic".....so keeping in that mind set and combining all of my previous points. I think we should encourage scout to design a simplistic and minimalistic dashboard and create good feeling tactile buttons for functions that either A) are critical when driving (lights, wipers, etc) B) are used every time you drive(AC, volume) C) Have no logical reason for being on a screen (dome lights, glove box) or finally D) Have a legal reason to be there (hazards)

As the designated "touch screens aren't that bad" guy i felt i had to respond. First i want to state my position that i don't want a tesla screen only style. Much of my arguments are challenging people's perceptions and to point out inaccuracies in thinking or logic. with that being said lets get in to it:

Honestly why? if you are changing the temperature and you grab the dial how many people can honestly say that they turn the dial and never take their eyes of the road. I guarantee that nearly everyone will glance at the knob, look back a the road, grab the knob, give it a turn then look back at the knob to make sure it is where you wanted it to be...or if it changes to a temperature number you will look at that number to make sure it was the number you wanted. This is no different than in my tesla, I look at the screen, move my hand and hook my fingers under the spot and press a few times, then i look back to make sure i pressed it the right amount of times.

Except when it is a button with an LED indicator of status....many physical buttons don't have any positional status at all, you just press it and it changes something on the dash. the vast majority of buttons / levers etc do not indicate their status and are instead just membrane buttons like on a keyboard that get pressed, indicate something to the computer, and return to their neutral status.

to my point earlier, how many people ACTUALLY never take their eyes off the road for a second when pressing buttons? Additionally very few functions need to be changed Immediately and urgently in the middle of driving.(things like windshield wipers or headlights)....if there is a tense moment of driving i don't think changing the AC is a critical function at that moment in time. I would argue that while making a turn through traffic most people are not adjusting their AC or changing radio stations or doing anything other than paying attention to the road.

I would agree that if something needs to have a lever to physically set the position then sure it shouldn't be controlled by the computer or by the touch screen, but what are some examples of things that should be like this? the first thing to consider is the scout will be all electric. so even things that ordinarily would be physical changes to the vehicle such as 4wd would all be done electronically. So why does a physical lever need to be done. Additionally in a traditional truck you might have a lever to indicate if you are in 4WD-H 4WD-L or 2WD. but aside from that being a physical lever that does something physical, why does that need to be in a position to indicate it. Is someone driving along glued to the road and needing to feel around the cabin to find out if their vehicle is in 4wd or not? additionally many traditional ICE vehicles have a button that either turns on or off 4wd because it will phsycially engage the transfer case with an electric motor. and those buttons may or may not even have an LED indicator on them. Most of what i've seen are a dial that does nothing but puts a yellow picture of 4 wheels on the dashboard.

I want to re-iterate my position. I am not suggesting all controls should be on a touch screen, I'm mainly here to challenge some of these perceptions that physical controls are always used without looking. In a different post on this thread i shared a story about my father who was 100% insistent that he never takes his eyes off the road to adjust anything and my stupid tesla screen was ruining cars. The next time i drove with him i pointed out each time he took his eyes off the road to adjust the AC, to shift into gear, to change the settings of the windshield wipers, to turn up the radio.

I just want everybody to be open and honest in their analysis of what is "NEEDED" and not. Everybody takes their eyes off the road.

My other point is that given that the new scout will be all electric everything will be done electronically and everything needs to go through the central computer. Given that everything costs money (designing, resourcing, logistics, manufacturing) why should we design a special button to change the radio from AM to FM keeping in mind that it will need to be integrated into the dash or center console just to have a small controller set behind it, just to have a wire to then feed back into the central computer. It is much faster and cost effective to just keep it on the screen.

My final point (sorry, lots to say); If there was one word that would describe a original scout's dashboard i would say "minimalistic" or "simple" would come to most people's minds. What is also the term that everybody used to describe the tesla model 3's dashboard?...."minimalistic" and "simplistic".....so keeping in that mind set and combining all of my previous points. I think we should encourage scout to design a simplistic and minimalistic dashboard and create good feeling tactile buttons for functions that either A) are critical when driving (lights, wipers, etc) B) are used every time you drive(AC, volume) C) Have no logical reason for being on a screen (dome lights, glove box) or finally D) Have a legal reason to be there (hazards)

I can honestly say I often adjust temperature, fan speed and vent source without taking my eyes off the road. However, I’m not arguing that everything should be operated blindly only that it could be operated blindly. It is better when there is multi-sensory feedback, touch, sight and sound. If climate controls were on the touchscreen I’d likely have to navigate through screens just to get to the controls. I would need to look in the center of the dash for a while and I would be relying heavily on sight. Ideally, for climate control there would be physical controls and the display directly in front of the driver would show the set climate temperature change as the driver turns the physical control, preferably also with haptics and sound.

Even if the actual systems are electrical and are switched by a relay somewhere else the tactile physical controls provide an optimum user interface with multiple sensory feedback through an analogous action. So turning a knob to raise volume might not be literally turning a potentiometer to raise the voltage on the gain stage of an amplifier but it conveys the appropriate idea. Likewise, flicking a toggle switch might not literally complete a control circuit that tiggers a relay, it might rather send a signal to a computer, but it is the right physical analogy for something that has two states - on /off. As a user you feel and hear a satisfying snap as you flick the switch and you know the switches that are down and have a light illuminated are on and those that are up with light off are off. That’s multi-sensory. And it is much, much better than a touch screen. You also know that the third switch from the left does some particular thing so you could operate it blindly if you needed to (or discover its state through touch).

The main point the experts in user interface have discovered is that multi-sensory feedback is superior, including the communication of current state through sight and touch.

Many of the people I have heard make the argument I am making are app developers in the tech industry. For example, the hosts of the APT Podcast are iOS and Mac developers (one of which makes a CarPlay app). These guys are also car enthusiasts and spent a couple of hours on a deep dive discussion of physical controls vs touchscreen. These are people that make apps for touchscreens. You might think they would love touch screens in cars and yet they argue forcefully for real tactile buttons. This is because their professional expertise means they fully understand the limitations of touchscreens.

Around 2008 cell phones got touch screens and that turned out to be extremely successful for phones. Designers in many industries then tried to replicate this by putting touchscreens on everything. This trend eventually moved to the auto industry. Consumers for a time liked to chose whatever had a touch screen. But it turns out not everything is better with touchscreens and studying where they work and where they don’t provides key insights. So for example, you can buy a toaster with a touchscreen but toasters have not been revolutionized by this - they have not all adopted touch screens (like phones did). probably you would prefer a toaster without a touchscreen, I know I would.

Some key reasons touchscreens were successful on phones are because.
1) they imitated physical controls by providing a) direct manipulation of the display and b) physics based behaviors (such as rubber-banding). c) multi-sensory feedback through sound and later with haptic feedback.
2) they need to transform from one thing to another, a web browser, a camera, a word processor etc, so the entire interface must change for each app. This ability was existential for phones. Blackberry failed because it bet against it.

The simple fact is that a car does not need to change from one thing to another. It is always a car. A car doesn’t need to imitate physical controls because it can have physical controls. It the perfect example of a technology that doesn’t need to rely on a touchscreen for the controls that always need to be present.

Navigation apps need the display and they naturally benefit from panning and zooming gestures on it - that’s the kind of direct physical manipulation that touchscreens excel at. The climate controls are some of those that always need to be present, so they need physical multi-sensory controls and must not be buried in a menu on a touchscreen.

I will always prefer real buttons for all my basic vehicle controls. If you want touchscreen controls for things like you use your phone for (nav, answering phone, setting preferences in the vehicle system, ???), fine. I want actual controls for turning things on/off, temp, volume, transmission modes, etc.
I have a car with a touchscreen that controls most functions. A small area of the touchscreen failed, about 1" square, not the whole thing. BUT that square inch was where several "buttons" would appear on various pages to control things. I could not turn on my AC, and several other annoying but less important things) until I got it fixed. They had to order and replace the entire screen. Luckily, it was under warranty and I didn't have to pay for it and got a loaner for the week they had my car. It will cost me $2000 and a week without my car if it fails again. Touchscreens WILL fail at some point and WILL be expensive to replace. I would rather not have anything critical residing there.
I said it somewhere else, but I really just want the screen to mirror what is on my phone and have all the controls be on an app on the phone. I use Google maps for nav, even in my car without Carplay. I've never used a built in vehicle nav that wasn't garbage compared to Google maps.

Since Scout are building a rugged utility vehicle it should be built for rugged activities.

It should be expected that the driver might be wearing gloves. For example, a scenario where a farmer is driving around his property and frequently hopping out to do some task.

All of the controls for vehicle functions should be usable with gloves on.

I think this is a good example of how designers should sometimes focus on the 0.01% use case rather than the 99.9% one. Get it right for someone wearing gloves and you deliver easy to use controls for everyone.

Since Scout are building a rugged utility vehicle it should be built for rugged activities.

It should be expected that the driver might be wearing gloves. For example, a scenario where a farmer is driving around his property and frequently hopping out to do some task.

All of the controls for vehicle functions should be usable with gloves on.

I think this is a good example of how designers should sometimes focus on the 0.01% use case rather than the 99.9% one. Get it right for someone wearing gloves and you deliver easy to use controls for everyone.

Our UX team and interior designers are aware of all the above debate and have been working to strike a solid blend of technology and tactile. They even have multiple pairs of gloves they use for testing. :D

Our UX team and interior designers are aware of all the above debate and have been working to strike a solid blend of technology and tactile. They even have multiple pairs of gloves they use for testing. :D
That’s great to hear!

I’ll just quote a bit I really like from the Techcrunch interview with Keogh.

In addition to a bespoke platform, Scout’s cars will also take radically different approaches to software integration and the overall user experience. Some core aspects of the software will be provided by Cariad, the software arm of Volkswagen. Keogh said the base software architecture is in place. The user experience will be radically different, he added.

Keogh points to physical touchpoints as a main differentiator. VW’s ID.4 has been panned by many for its over-reliance on touch surfaces, for example.

“We really want to keep a lot of the mechanical nature,” Keogh said. “I think if you look at the American buyers, yes, they appreciate software, but they don’t want software to be all-dominating. I think you’ll see a lot more, let’s say old-school physicality, but in a good way.”

So no touchscreen-controlled vents à la the Tesla Model Y, then? “I can pretty much confirm yes,” Keogh told me.

This sounds like exactly the right direction to me.

I can honestly say I often adjust temperature, fan speed and vent source without taking my eyes off the road. However, I’m not arguing that everything should be operated blindly only that it could be operated blindly. It is better when there is multi-sensory feedback, touch, sight and sound. If climate controls were on the touchscreen I’d likely have to navigate through screens just to get to the controls. I would need to look in the center of the dash for a while and I would be relying heavily on sight. Ideally, for climate control there would be physical controls and the display directly in front of the driver would show the set climate temperature change as the driver turns the physical control, preferably also with haptics and sound.

Even if the actual systems are electrical and are switched by a relay somewhere else the tactile physical controls provide an optimum user interface with multiple sensory feedback through an analogous action. So turning a knob to raise volume might not be literally turning a potentiometer to raise the voltage on the gain stage of an amplifier but it conveys the appropriate idea. Likewise, flicking a toggle switch might not literally complete a control circuit that tiggers a relay, it might rather send a signal to a computer, but it is the right physical analogy for something that has two states - on /off. As a user you feel and hear a satisfying snap as you flick the switch and you know the switches that are down and have a light illuminated are on and those that are up with light off are off. That’s multi-sensory. And it is much, much better than a touch screen. You also know that the third switch from the left does some particular thing so you could operate it blindly if you needed to (or discover its state through touch).

The main point the experts in user interface have discovered is that multi-sensory feedback is superior, including the communication of current state through sight and touch.

Many of the people I have heard make the argument I am making are app developers in the tech industry. For example, the hosts of the APT Podcast are iOS and Mac developers (one of which makes a CarPlay app). These guys are also car enthusiasts and spent a couple of hours on a deep dive discussion of physical controls vs touchscreen. These are people that make apps for touchscreens. You might think they would love touch screens in cars and yet they argue forcefully for real tactile buttons. This is because their professional expertise means they fully understand the limitations of touchscreens.

Around 2008 cell phones got touch screens and that turned out to be extremely successful for phones. Designers in many industries then tried to replicate this by putting touchscreens on everything. This trend eventually moved to the auto industry. Consumers for a time liked to chose whatever had a touch screen. But it turns out not everything is better with touchscreens and studying where they work and where they don’t provides key insights. So for example, you can buy a toaster with a touchscreen but toasters have not been revolutionized by this - they have not all adopted touch screens (like phones did). probably you would prefer a toaster without a touchscreen, I know I would.

Some key reasons touchscreens were successful on phones are because.
1) they imitated physical controls by providing a) direct manipulation of the display and b) physics based behaviors (such as rubber-banding). c) multi-sensory feedback through sound and later with haptic feedback.
2) they need to transform from one thing to another, a web browser, a camera, a word processor etc, so the entire interface must change for each app. This ability was existential for phones. Blackberry failed because it bet against it.

The simple fact is that a car does not need to change from one thing to another. It is always a car. A car doesn’t need to imitate physical controls because it can have physical controls. It the perfect example of a technology that doesn’t need to rely on a touchscreen for the controls that always need to be present.

Navigation apps need the display and they naturally benefit from panning and zooming gestures on it - that’s the kind of direct physical manipulation that touchscreens excel at. The climate controls are some of those that always need to be present, so they need physical multi-sensory controls and must not be buried in a menu on a touchscreen.
I'll start by saying i agree with everything you said. I maintain my stance that the buttons that the Scout should have should be tactile, rugged and satisfying...i want buttons.....but i don't want 264 buttons and switches that will be a ADD person's wet dream. I want a simple vehicle interface that will have satisfying buttons that i will click/flick every day....i just don't like excess buttons for the sake of having more buttons everywhere....excess is wasteful....that is my main point.

Reactions: J Alynn
I'll start by saying i agree with everything you said. I maintain my stance that the buttons that the Scout should have should be tactile, rugged and satisfying...i want buttons.....but i don't want 264 buttons and switches that will be a ADD person's wet dream. I want a simple vehicle interface that will have satisfying buttons that i will click/flick every day....i just don't like excess buttons for the sake of having more buttons everywhere....excess is wasteful....that is my main point.
I’ll add that buttons and knows should be great feel and ideally NOT plastic. At least not the primary 5-8 use daily knobs and toggles. And Toggles would be great!

It would be cool if there were some physical buttons that the owner could program to perform whatever function.- similar to how BMW does it with their radio "preset buttons" or how some Jeeps and Fords have aux switches that the owner can use to add in additional lights, air compressors etc..

Reactions: J Alynn
I’m not posting this to advocate for or against screens vs buttons as I’ve shared my opinions already. I saw my sister this past weekend and she bought a new Kia spirtage. I’ll keep my opinions to myself on the car/brand but as a linear dash layout goes-the short, elongated/curved screen was Awesome. The manual controls below are also very linear. I know a handful of us have commented on a linear format to recall the early Scout designs and this just looked really good. I think they blew it on the vent shapes but it mimics other elements on that car so to each their own.
Anyway-with the correct amount of screens and buttons I do think the subtle radiuses screen and linear format is great. They also integrated a great gray wood panel design (plastic for sure but color and graining look great too)

Attachments

• Scout Electronic dash.PNG
    Scout Electronic dash.PNG
    185.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Rustic_father
Thought on a new touch screen button: Pet Parking. One trouble we currently have in our vehicle is when we travel with our dog and run in to a store/resturant. we leave the car running and set a timer for 20 minutes to come back out and restart it. It never fails that someone sees a dog in the vehicle with the windows up and throws up a red flag. What if you click on this button and the only thing it does is keeps the temp reasonable, conserving energy with everything else turned off. The only other thing on is the touch screen with a message saying (flashing) something to the effect of "This Scout is in Pet Parking Mode"
Came across this picture on FB today. Lines up with this idea.
Screensho(2).jpg

All the techstuff is fine for optional equipment. I'd want a base model with just knobs, maybe a backup screen.

Gloves are great.

I also recall reading that the touchscreens in modern airplanes are designed to be usable in turbulence. For that they have a ridge around the screen to press your fingers against to stabilize your hand (I imagine stabilizing with your fingers and using your thumb, for example). I also think they don't use capacitive touch screens since they are so susceptible to accidental activation ("oops, I just turned of the engines!").