Buttons vs screens

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Interesting. The one thing I was worried with was draining batteries. Do you know if it has ever been an issue?
It’s not super significant. As with all things EV, the outside temperature makes a big difference. I’ve only used it a couple times. But, I do have cabin overheat ventilation/cooling on all the time. I’ve left the car for over a week not plugged in and it only lost a few percent of charge.

• Wow
Reactions: Harris005
I keep thinking about retro modern as I think about this Scout. I think we still need some tactile switches or buttons but I also think that if you did the infotainment center well, then minimizing those switches and buttons like many of us do with our 800s when we clean up the trim piece could be really nice.

So use solid metal switches and buttons (or at least don’t make it feel plastic cheap) and keep it clean.

I think y'all need to check out the 8.4 Uconnect from Jeep/Dodge/Ram(FCA).

We have a left button/knob that turns on the stereo/infotainment and volume control.
Middle knob is HVAC on/off and fan up/down.
Right knob is tuning.

Then the HVAC controls are still button AND infotainment.
Heated seats are button AND infotainment.
Rubicon mode controls are just buttons, but the off-road pages give tons of info(could still be executed way better).
Navigation is all on the screen. Radio presets are all on the screen... etc.

Honestly, I only have several real gripes.
Still is wired AA.
Offroad pages won't let you see inclinometer AND navigation. Or additional gauges AND navigation. Kinda sucks.

Other than that the 8.4" screen with Uconnect is quite nice. It's the same software in the RAM trucks and they continue to win best interiors.
Gonna agree here. My 23' Sahara 4xe keeps many controls analog with tactile and rugged buttons/knobs/switches. This is the way. Easy to find and operate. For the love of all that is holy, stay away from capacitive touch outside of the multimedia screen.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
We for sure hear you guys on the tactile switches and knobs. We've been passing this along to our design teams, who already had those marching orders. I think a balance between the tech and the practical is the best approach. 🍺
My absolute most hated feature of my Tesla is the the glovebox. You have to find a button or give a voice command to open the glovebox. Just give me a glovebox handle!

Gonna agree here. My 23' Sahara 4xe keeps many controls analog with tactile and rugged buttons/knobs/switches. This is the way. Easy to find and operate. For the love of all that is holy, stay away from capacitive touch outside of the multimedia screen.
Bruh! We have a 21 Tuscadero 4xe!

Just had recall ZD8 done... because we ALMOST got stranded this week.

A nice touch screen button on my truck is the "Trailer Lights" button. After hooking up a trailer, you simply push that button, which runs through a sequence of all the lights. This allows one person to walk around checking all the trailer lights before hitting the highway.

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
A key fob or app button that turns on climate control (don't see remote starting as a needed function for an EV) and that button has two way communication as it will light up showing the heat or ac has actually been turned on. Never have understood why car manufactures dont go the 2 way communications route?? I wouldn't think on a mass production level it wouldn't be that much more money to produce. More times than not I am listening to see if I can hear the vehicle start to see if it recieved the start command.....this technique would not work with an EV 😋

Side note on warming up the Scout after clicking the remote button: I don't know if this is common practice now days, but when it is cold out if vents could be directed to defrost the windshield, rear window and side mirrors defrost is turned on, and any warming devices installed (seats/stearing wheel/lights/etc.) are turned on. I believe most of that typically happens...just wasnt sure on the windshield defrost to focus on helping to melting away the snow vs. just having it left on all vents for cabin comfort in general.

A key fob or app button that turns on climate control (don't see remote starting as a needed function for an EV) and that button has two way communication as it will light up showing the heat or ac has actually been turned on. Never have understood why car manufactures dont go the 2 way communications route?? I wouldn't think on a mass production level it wouldn't be that much more money to produce. More times than not I am listening to see if I can hear the vehicle start to see if it recieved the start command.....this technique would not work with an EV 😋

Side note on warming up the Scout after clicking the remote button: I don't know if this is common practice now days, but when it is cold out if vents could be directed to defrost the windshield, rear window and side mirrors defrost is turned on, and any warming devices installed (seats/stearing wheel/lights/etc.) are turned on. I believe most of that typically happens...just wasnt sure on the windshield defrost to focus on helping to melting away the snow vs. just having it left on all vents for cabin comfort in general.
My daughters new Bronco (so the dealer told her) the remote start automatically senses outside temps and set accordingly to heat or cool. Not sure what default temp it sets to but she’s been using it this winter and likes it much better that her previous Honda CRV

One button I have actually used more than I thought I would is a tailgate drop button on the dash of my Chevy Silverado. Never thought it would be used, but has been handy when waiting for the daughter at softball practice and hit the button as she approaches with her catchers gear. Also nice when backing up at warehouse type places when someone is about to load you. Depending on the tailgate style of the SUV, this could be useful on both the SUV and truck styles. Could be sold as a plug and play accessory.

Built in programable garage door openers (typically 3 buttons). Believe they can usually be programed to other things like outside house lights as well. Always a cleaner look not to have the bulky garage door opener clipped on the visor.

Built in programable garage door openers (typically 3 buttons). Believe they can usually be programed to other things like outside house lights as well. Always a cleaner look not to have the bulky garage door opener clipped on the visor.
Definitely a must. Also make programming them as simple as possible. I have rolling code garage door openers and it seems to take 8 steps between car buttons and buttons on the overhead motor. Much easier if the scout has a drop top cause then I can park under the controller, do car buttons then stand on front seat to push motor controls above. Way easier than a ladder and parking outside. Especially in the winter time.

Another vote for physical buttons…I always wondered how touch screens operate with snow gloves or driving gloves on…just can’t see that being possible…but perhaps I am wrong.

All the buttons on my old 2007 Touareg (for example) are oversized and can be grasped or used with gloves.

I think if someone wants just touch screens, there are plenty of other other vehicle options and apple stores for those folks.

Another vote for physical buttons…I always wondered how touch screens operate with snow gloves or driving gloves on…just can’t see that being possible…but perhaps I am wrong.

All the buttons on my old 2007 Touareg (for example) are oversized and can be grasped or used with gloves.

I think if someone wants just touch screens, there are plenty of other other vehicle options and apple stores for those folks.

Touch screens aren't as bad as you think. One thing that i have learned from having my Tesla model 3 is that there are somethings that really need to have their own dedicated physical button and there are some things that really don't. In my opinion there are 3 categories of functions; things you urgently need to press while driving, things you probably press while driving, and things you don't press often. When you think about any one of the things that you would click it think to your self "would i need to press this urgently while driving". Things such as Windshield wipers, you absolutely need to be able to press and control them during driving and can't safely look at a screen to adjust it....so things like that need a physical button (this is one of the few things i HATE about my Tesla)

So why am i bringing this up. You have to also think about this from a manufacturer's point of view. Each button needs to be designed, have the console designed, and on top each has to have a mounting bracket, needs to be produced, shipped, or a machine needs to be purchased and a specific mold needs to be made, there needs to be a wire, and an LED light to it....and that is for EACH button....why have all of that design, manufacturing, logistic, and assembly complexity just so you can switch between AM and FM radio.

I want to be clear, i don't want the scout to have only a screen..but i think a good mix is very healthy. essential safety functions should be buttons, but things such as 4wd settings, seat warmers, defrosters, and even HVAC controls don't need to be a dedicated physical button.

I had a similar conversation with my father a while back when i first got my Tesla. we were traveling down the road in his jeep wrangler. he just got finished wish a long rant about physical buttons and how he "always" just knows where the buttons are and it makes it safer. but not 1 mile down the road he fumbled around trying to find the heat knob, couldn't find it and then had to take his eyes off the road not only to find the knob (on the car he has had for years) but he also had to stare at it while he turned it to the correct setting that he wanted....how is this any different than if it was a touch screen?

Reactions: Harris005
Another button my daughters Bronco has is the front/overhead camera. Not being used to sitting as high in previous car(s) we are still getting used to parking in spaces so car is centered. Having that button, upper left location near start button has been great. One push and split screen shows the front bumper view and overhead. Makes lining up easy-peasy
Also realizing that the Bronco doesn’t ride as smoothly as my TLX and I’m assuming the teslas I think certain buttons are convenient so that you have something to grab when bouncing around. I’m finding her Bronco has a pretty good mix of button controls as well as screen controls. That tactile finish of them is also really good. I also like the digital temp readout on the heat control knobs. Coming from Acuras that have fairly good technology I was hesitant about the Ford but it’s very intuitive and access to controls and displays has been great so far.
All that said, if Scout can create an amazing voice control system, 95% of commands could simply be addressed that way.

I think you hit on something here. While the Scout will be EV and by that nature draw a younger, outdoorsy demographic, many buyers will be older as they know the name Scout. I fall into the seconfd and because of that I’m a bit more reluctant to go to tech and touchscreen and would prefer knobs when they make more sense. I prefer to spin a knob to raise the temperature. Before my daughter’s Bronco came her Honda used the touch screen to change temperature and I despised it. It’s going to be a big challenge to hit the right amount of physical controls verses touch screen. Even Toyota and Honda have pulled back on so much touch screen and console finger pads due to buyer feedback wanting more direct touch. I’m quite excited to see how the design and engineering teams handle this aspect.

IMHO,

It's fine to have all functions available as touchscreen or voice as long as there is a manual override for vital driving/climate/volume control stuff. I include seat heating, defrost, wheel heating in the button category. For driving, especially off-road functions you have to have something that's easy enough to grab with gloves (I agree with the person who mentioned that). Here's the very center console of my 2007 Range Rover L322 (arguably the last Range Rover you'd take off a road and could still work on yourself). On this one console between dash and arm rests you've got the diff. lock, suspension height, hill descent, as well as the earliest terrain response knob that I can remember seeing. I'm not even a fan of the electric parking break which is at the bottom of the photo...I'd, again, prefer a manual back-up that's a true hand-break. But I'm picky. Ha ha.
center console.jpg

I think you hit on something here. While the Scout will be EV and by that nature draw a younger, outdoorsy demographic, many buyers will be older as they know the name Scout. I fall into the seconfd and because of that I’m a bit more reluctant to go to tech and touchscreen and would prefer knobs when they make more sense. I prefer to spin a knob to raise the temperature. Before my daughter’s Bronco came her Honda used the touch screen to change temperature and I despised it. It’s going to be a big challenge to hit the right amount of physical controls verses touch screen. Even Toyota and Honda have pulled back on so much touch screen and console finger pads due to buyer feedback wanting more direct touch. I’m quite excited to see how the design and engineering teams handle this aspect.
Its also fair to say that buttons and knobs [and gauge cluster] can help bring in that reto feel/look as well. I personally never have liked what Tesla created with their dash layout, or lack there of. Although I can appreciate all the cool things it can do within the touchscreen; its just too boring. Yes, buttons and knobs will cost to produce, but it's money that needs to be spent. The look and feel of the dash is so critical to the comfort and enjoyment for the driver and passengers. It is where our eyes (and hands) spend most of the time looking at while owning a vehicle.

I would be curious to see a modern take on the classic Scout II style...
knobs.jpg

Throwing this out there as well. I have always liked the climate control knobs in my 2022 Chevy Silverado. Both driver and passanger knob rotates on the outside to adjust the desired temp, which is digitally displayed on the face of the knob. The driver side has the auto button on the face of it (typically always on). The passenger side has a sync button on the face that just uses the same temp that is set on the drivers side for when passengers are not in the vehicle. I also like the feel of the button cluster at the bottom of the dash. Each button has an LED light on the front of it showing when it is activated. This would be a useful layout for the Scout creating some buttons that come standard from the factory, and spare slots for adding future plug and play buttons for each owner to customize their own Scout.
chevydash.jpg