What would Jamie and Chris like to see in a Launch Edition?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
You all are getting clever... :D

Launch Editions have become relatively common over the last five years. With all the supply issues and spinning up a new factory line, launching a new product with a single specification, like a Launch Edition, is much easier. The pressure is that the launch edition should be special in some way, and that often means a mid to high-level configuration that can price someone out on the initial vehicles. So it is a double-edged sword that provides a unique and sometimes "collectible" or rare configuration and lets us get the production line up and running with a common build. The flip side is that not everyone wants the launch edition. We are still sorting this out and will have more information as we get closer to production.

We'd love to hear your feedback on this.

Last edited:

Launch Editions have become relatively common over the last five years. With all the supply issues and spinning up a new factory line, launching a new product with a single specification, like a Launch Edition, is much easier. The pressure is that the launch edition should be special in some way, and that often means a mid to high-level configuration that can price someone out on the initial vehicles. So it is a double-edged sword that provides a unique and sometimes "collectible" or rare configuration and lets us get the production line up and running with a common build. The flip side is that not everyone wants the launch edition. We are still sorting this out and will have more information as we get closer to production.

So you saw through that one a bit 😀
I do think we had some feedback awhile ago on launch editions but maybe folks who are newer to the forum can provide feedback.
FYI my goal “technically” wasn’t to probe but really did wonder what you and Chris talk about when you discuss YOUR perfect Scout. Not looking to have you disclose process info but do you both desire cloth or that vegan leather you keep selling me on 🤣 or do you want hard or soft top (doesn’t mean you are disclosing what roof will be-just what YOU would like.
Add a big disclaimer that it’s your thoughts so somebody doesn’t quote it as SM gospel

I think the Launch Edition may also serve as the brands first "handshake" with the outside world. There is a marketing twist to this. You know what they say about first impressions. So, that might also be weighed in the equation when thinking about the LE in terms of word of mouth, initial impressions, 3rd party reviews etc. That extra bit of effort and detail might pay off in spades.

Initially I wanted high end. Then I remembered how much I liked the LR defender launch package but I couldn’t justify the cost because I knew I wasn’t going to overland in Africa. I’ve given various thoughts on here as to what I think it should be but now I think a hair bit differently. I’ve started thinking of the new Scout in a similar way to the original VW bug/beetle. I think it should be a vehicle for everyone (ironic that VW now owns the Scout name and that the original Scouts were basically a vehicle for everyone/the working man). While Classy isn’t the right term for everyone on this forum I think it needs to have a classically styled approach with just a twist of modern.
I think it should be:
-a best foot forward model-all the regular upgrades.
-have a couple launch only exterior colors (along with several standard colors too. Would be cool to post 4-5 colors for launch and see what forum members would want)-but I think they should be more throw back inspired colors right out of the gate to show the public what the Scout history is/was
-interior should be unique option. I’ll stay in the camp of plaid insets with saddle brown leather along with a nice leather wrapped steering wheel. But not prissy leather if that make sense-something rugged but refined.
-should have specific badges and probably be numbered as well.
-maybe dash/inlays get a unique wood finish to tie it to nature-nothing exotic but just classy and unique
-not knowing where the spare will live, if exposed, a unique cover so drivers have the choice to cover
-should have two unique LE rim choices-one smaller and one larger to cover the road warriors and the off roaders
-I think it HAS TO HAVE a white top-molded or painted depending on the ability to remove.
-I think for members (I support @Bodie with his thought of great pricing.
-I think logo’d carpet and/or rubber mats/floor protectors. I also think aftermarket on these for us to replace but had to be VIN dependent so others don’t just buy them after the fact.
-I think a few “aftermarket” items like a few lights, or add-ons should be offered to members only on the launch
-integrated rock rails/steps would be a nice to have feature so everyone is covered on that side of things.
-full heat and cool seats/mirrors and steering wheel (option to delete for those who live in the southern areas.
-a tow hitch included with wire harness
-assuming the roof isn’t removable (uugghhh!!!) I would want a moon roof and roof rails and crossbars as included on the L Edition.
-pneumatic lifts for the frunk hood and premium interior lighting with warm/cool LED tech so we can adjust the feel.

I definitely want a new Scout but whether I go for the "launch edition" or not will entirely depend on whether it is the Scout I want at a value I can live with. What I really want is analogous to the Bronco Heritage edition which wasn't available at launch. I like where J Alynn is going with the throwback colors, plaid interior vibe. It requires a removeable top. Also, if the top is going to be white (I'm good with body color), it has to look good. I don't know if the Bronco is TOO white and needs a little ivory but they don't look right except with a couple colors with all the black plastic going on.

Reactions: J Alynn
I definitely want a new Scout but whether I go for the "launch edition" or not will entirely depend on whether it is the Scout I want at a value I can live with. What I really want is analogous to the Bronco Heritage edition which wasn't available at launch. I like where J Alynn is going with the throwback colors, plaid interior vibe. It requires a removeable top. Also, if the top is going to be white (I'm good with body color), it has to look good. I don't know if the Bronco is TOO white and needs a little ivory but they don't look right except with a couple colors with all the black plastic going on.
I agree on your comments. Maybe a top that’s ivory rather than bright white and I agree about Bronco. I held out for the heritage for myself and then was disappointed with all the black plastic. Rather they go the LR Defender route and do a reasonably decent silver finish to mimic chrome. Just worry that would not get pulled off correctly.

Well we got the launch edition talk now how about the "standard" scout response :ROFLMAO:

My suggestion, other than guaranteeing an order spot for we forum supporters.....is please do not call it First Edition. Ford couldn't build all of their "First" Broncos until year 2. In my book First means First and therefore should be the actual first off the line. So Launch Edition, Roots Edition (back to the roots but for our northern neighbors an actual "Roots" edition might sell) or anything other than "First"

Reactions: JohnBills

I’d really like to see the factory set up to build customer configurations to order (with direct to consumer sales). A utility vehicle should have lots of configuration options. This surely makes building to order extremely complicated. Starting up a factory that can build many possible configurations as customers commit to ordering is very difficult. It would make sense to have a dedicated line that can build a launch model with a known quantity and guaranteed parts supply. Because it is more efficient to build, the launch model should be priced at less than the sum of its parts if you manually configured the closest match in the configurator. That should make it the obvious choice for many pre-orders. The launch model configuration should be one that best represents Scout, with all the options the team is most proud of. It should be a vehicle that could stand the test of time and become a classic.

Reactions: J Alynn and Bodie
if it were up to me, I think a launch edition should be a reflection of the nostalgia of Scout and how people relate. IMHO I think it should reflect these through the materials that echo Americana. I certainly feel it should be higher end, but not necessarily the common view of luxury. For example, this based on my experience from being stationed in Germany; deliver products that are simply made well & robust-luxury came through quality, not perception. Seems like every vehicle these days is just a clone. Shift this to a new paradigm. For example what about using hybrid denim materials (besides apple pie, how much more American can you get?), for the seats. It'd be cool if Cone Mills Denim selvege could be integrated. If wood would be used somewhere, how about using something like American Red Oak. In short, use materials that we can relate to or at least that which reflects that image. I'd like to see more hand tooled items used (maybe a hand pull or emergency brake wrap) like leather used on belts or boots. And lastly, because Scout is an off shoot of VW, try to employ Bauhaus design with an American spin. To me it seems like that concept pairs very well. Anyways, those are my two cents, I'm just excited a product is coming out soon, and is something that I actually want.

Last edited:
  • Love
I'd be up for some kind of special badging but don't need much more than that. Perhaps a plate inside the door saying it's part of a numbered run (XXX/2000).

Other idea is have a decal with Chris and Jamie's faces on the tailgate.

• Haha
Maybe a Limited Launch Edition with all the factory bells and whistles. Then a Basic Launch Edition for the average Joe. A while back it was suggested to have accessories that are ordered when ordering your Scout online, but chosen to be boxed up and put in the frunk for delivery. The idea being it saved the consumer some $$ on the assembly line, as well as gave the typical Scout enthusiast some fun shop time with their new Scout. This scenario would fit well within the Basic Launch Edition and could give some feed back to Scout Motors on the install of those parts.