Please make sure 1st edition vehicles work

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Rustic_father

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Dec 12, 2022
Virginia
I came across this video the other day and I wanted to bring it up to this forum to make sure it is taken into consideration especially considering there is a common person in all of this: current Scout CEO and former VW America CEO during the VW ID4 Launch...

The main problem outlined in the video is that the 1st edition of the ID4 was riddled with software based problems that in my technical opinion is highly likely a result of cost cutting on hardware. some of the main problems listed in the video:
- slow or unresponsive infotainment
- Android Auto slow connection / failed connections
- Tire pressure sensor errors
- Vehicle shutting down and unable to drive.

The main thing that i want to point out is that in the video he eventually got the vehicle updated to the newest 3.1 software but it still had all of those errors and problems, but NEW vw ID4 owners do not have any of these problems. This leads me to one conclusion: Hardware. VW learned its lesson and upgrade the screen to make sure it was more responsive to touch, it also upgraded its processing or other infotainment related hardware to ensure stability of the operating system, this is the only explination for why NEW ID4s have no problems but 1st Edition ID4s have all the problems.

In the spirit of this community anybody who actually buys a 1st edition of the scout will be someone who is enthusiastic and eager for the scout to be released....PLEASE return that favor and ensure 1st Edition vehicles are given the care that they deserve and are of the quality that you would want to give to your #1 fans. The people that are already waiting eagerly in line diserve to get something that won't be in the shop every 2 weeks.

so Please Please Please learn from the ID3 and ID4 1st edition releases (and Tesla's early models) and don't skimp on proccessing power or RAM or other things that would make the main core of the vehicle unstable.

I came across this video the other day and I wanted to bring it up to this forum to make sure it is taken into consideration especially considering there is a common person in all of this: current Scout CEO and former VW America CEO during the VW ID4 Launch...

The main problem outlined in the video is that the 1st edition of the ID4 was riddled with software based problems that in my technical opinion is highly likely a result of cost cutting on hardware. some of the main problems listed in the video:

The main thing that i want to point out is that in the video he eventually got the vehicle updated to the newest 3.1 software but it still had all of those errors and problems, but NEW vw ID4 owners do not have any of these problems. This leads me to one conclusion: Hardware. VW learned its lesson and upgrade the screen to make sure it was more responsive to touch, it also upgraded its processing or other infotainment related hardware to ensure stability of the operating system, this is the only explination for why NEW ID4s have no problems but 1st Edition ID4s have all the problems.

In the spirit of this community anybody who actually buys a 1st edition of the scout will be someone who is enthusiastic and eager for the scout to be released....PLEASE return that favor and ensure 1st Edition vehicles are given the care that they deserve and are of the quality that you would want to give to your #1 fans. The people that are already waiting eagerly in line diserve to get something that won't be in the shop every 2 weeks.

so Please Please Please learn from the ID3 and ID4 1st edition releases (and Tesla's early models) and don't skimp on proccessing power or RAM or other things that would make the main core of the vehicle unstable.

At least the id4’s were available. There are still first edition Bronco buyers waiting after 3 years 😀 but I completely agree with what you’re saying and strongly second your sentiment. Obviously new vehicles will have some issues-I think we are all wise enough and accept this as being early adopters but ultimately, having Scout stand behind the product and make things right as quickly as possible goes a long way in being a quality company and growing a solid fan base based on those of us serving as ambassadors to the brand.
I’ll add one last thought. PLEASE don’t make the first edition models FULLY loaded at a cost of $75K. Make it a low/mid level vehicle with some kind of special, one-off configuration and let the forum members (who hopefully get first dibs) add upgrades and maybe make the upgrades (within reason) be labeled or plaques with special markings as part of first edition. I’d also like it called something other than first edition. Scouts GO FIRST-the first batch should be called something that evokes that spirit

At least the id4’s were available. There are still first edition Bronco buyers waiting after 3 years 😀 but I completely agree with what you’re saying and strongly second your sentiment. Obviously new vehicles will have some issues-I think we are all wise enough and accept this as being early adopters but ultimately, having Scout stand behind the product and make things right as quickly as possible goes a long way in being a quality company and growing a solid fan base based on those of us serving as ambassadors to the brand.
I’ll add one last thought. PLEASE don’t make the first edition models FULLY loaded at a cost of $75K. Make it a low/mid level vehicle with some kind of special, one-off configuration and let the forum members (who hopefully get first dibs) add upgrades and maybe make the upgrades (within reason) be labeled or plaques with special markings as part of first edition. I’d also like it called something other than first edition. Scouts GO FIRST-the first batch should be called something that evokes that spirit

Attached are some synonyms.

I like Calvary and really like Outrider Edition. Maybe someone else has a great term or reference for first as it relates to the role of a Scout. There are some great terms in reference to native Americans that served as scouts in the Army but I suspect that could be an advertising nightmare though I think it would be a great way to honor military scouts

Reactions: LastDayScout
F8D57CB7-9E2A-47C7-A64B-41E80FD748FE.pngAttached are some synonyms.

I like Calvary which I saw as well but perhaps Vanguard Edition and really like Outrider Edition. Maybe someone else has a great term or reference for first as it relates to the role of a Scout. There are some great terms in reference to native Americans that served as scouts in the Army but I suspect that could be an advertising nightmare though I think it would be a great way to honor military scouts

Another hardware consideration is that with OTAs, you can expect to be adding features and maybe even UI overhauls down the road. If your hardware is too limited at the start, making changes to the software will be a nightmare.

As far as the "first edition" is concerned, I've never seen one that wasn't a put off. For example, they tend to include funky interiors and the biggest wheels possible, when for EVs what you actually want is the smallest wheels possible, and I don't want an overdone interior. EVs have changed the rules and automakers are struggling to shift.

If you really want to encourage and reward early adopters, let them order what they want. And give 'em some decals they can apply if they want to indicate they were early adopters.

Hmmmm....better yet. Just have a visible serial number someplace for the first X thousand. Folks will be desperate to get the lowest number possible. (I'm reserving #1 because it was my idea, OK?)

Reactions: J Alynn
Another hardware consideration is that with OTAs, you can expect to be adding features and maybe even UI overhauls down the road. If your hardware is too limited at the start, making changes to the software will be a nightmare.

As far as the "first edition" is concerned, I've never seen one that wasn't a put off. For example, they tend to include funky interiors and the biggest wheels possible, when for EVs what you actually want is the smallest wheels possible, and I don't want an overdone interior. EVs have changed the rules and automakers are struggling to shift.

If you really want to encourage and reward early adopters, let them order what they want. And give 'em some decals they can apply if they want to indicate they were early adopters.

Hmmmm....better yet. Just have a visible serial number someplace for the first X thousand. Folks will be desperate to get the lowest number possible. (I'm reserving #1 because it was my idea, OK?)
Sorry. There’s a good 20 of us who’ve been here longer so you’ll need to get in line because we’ve had good ideas too😂. Not to mention @Rustic_father started the thread-HaHa and I mentioned not going overboard so you can be #3. That’s still a podium finish 😀

Reactions: Rustic_father
I also think-as the trend seems to be-#1 should go to Mecum to auction and funds raised should pay for the first 100 member’s vehicles!
Kidding-funds should go to a charity and Scout should post 10 ideas of charities and let forum members vote for top choice or top 3 choices.
My opinion anyways

Reactions: Bodie and Harris005
I really like the word "Vanguard" because it is also used often in the military as the small group who goes first to establish a presence. I know scouts arn't military per se but since I was an army officer it speaks to me more......that is my two cents.

Sorry. There’s a good 20 of us who’ve been here longer so you’ll need to get in line because we’ve had good ideas too😂. Not to mention @Rustic_father started the thread-HaHa and I mentioned not going overboard so you can be #3. That’s still a podium finish 😀
While the active participants in this forum state their claim to special access to the "first edition" SM Scouts there is a case to be made to similarly recognize some of the Legacy Scout community who have owned, used, respected, and done their best to preserve the Scouts that Ted Ornas designed. Without their diligence in maintaining the Scout brand there would have been no impetus for VW to have brought it back. There is a reason VW didn't name it the Terraplane, eh?

Reactions: Rustic_father
While the active participants in this forum state their claim to special access to the "first edition" SM Scouts there is a case to be made to similarly recognize some of the Legacy Scout community who have owned, used, respected, and done their best to preserve the Scouts that Ted Ornas designed. Without their diligence in maintaining the Scout brand there would have been no impetus for VW to have brought it back. There is a reason VW didn't name it the Terraplane, eh?
I will avoid contesting some of this 😉 but will say this- VW stumbled onto the IH/Scout rights by dumb luck when they acquired Navistar-or someone realized it was part of the package and threw out a Hail Mary at an internal meeting to sweeten the purchase even more. My guess was someone who was A Scout fan realized they had it. They knew the new Bronco was on the way and the sparks inside someone’s brain saw an opportunity to capitalize on the growing segment that got jump started by the pandemic and people getting back to nature. AND IM THRILLED THEY DID!!! Going electric after basically 40 years to re-represent the Scout as a “Go First” vehicle was the brilliant way to attack it. No different than Acura/Honda bringing back the NSX after it ceased production and doing it in a re-invented way that respected it’s original entry into the automobile world. The biggest difference was the NSX was still fresh enough in people’s minds AND 85% of the NSX examples weren’t piles of rusted metal because of newer manufacturing processes.
I’d give anything to still have my Scout from when I was 16. I’d give more to have my dad’s mint green ‘58 Chevy convertible but who knew any better back in the day.
Point is-all great cars and game changing vehicles should be maintained and celebrated. Some in full resto, some resto-mods and then there is Scout which lives in a secondary legacy mode as an optimal off-roading machine.

I’m going to make possibly naive comment. But, maybe someone with more engineering experience can chime in. I’ve replaced many desktop computers but kept my screen and keyboard. Could Scout design their hardware/computers with a plug and harness that could be switched to the new version after software updates no longer provide all the features? Talk about a value add! Keep your Scout and upgrade your hardware 10 years from now for $X. I know they are in the business to sell new vehicles but that would add to their value. Just like I hope they offer electric conversions and parts for legacy models at a later date.

Reactions: Harris005

Attached are some synonyms.

I like Calvary and really like Outrider Edition. Maybe someone else has a great term or reference for first as it relates to the role of a Scout. There are some great terms in reference to native Americans that served as scouts in the Army but I suspect that could be an advertising nightmare though I think it would be a great way to honor military scouts
It's Cavalry (not Calvary), which is soldiers on horseback, which is too close to the Bronco horse theme....I would think something that ties it back to the old IH advertising
could be good....

I’m going to make possibly naive comment. But, maybe someone with more engineering experience can chime in. I’ve replaced many desktop computers but kept my screen and keyboard. Could Scout design their hardware/computers with a plug and harness that could be switched to the new version after software updates no longer provide all the features? Talk about a value add! Keep your Scout and upgrade your hardware 10 years from now for $X. I know they are in the business to sell new vehicles but that would add to their value. Just like I hope they offer electric conversions and parts for legacy models at a later date.
I like this idea. An interchangeable "head unit" would be good. You used to be able to do this for your car stereo. There's no reason you couldn't do it for today's infotainment systems.

Reactions: Harris005
I came across this video the other day and I wanted to bring it up …

You mention slow and failed connections with Android Auto.

Scout need to keep up with the latest technologies and hardware support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. For example, Apple just announced a few weeks ago that car manufacturers can now use their CarKey feature to trigger wireless CarPlay to connect before the driver even sits down. As the user unlocks the car the peer to peer connection between the car and phone for CarPlay is immediately triggered. This means that the user experiences no delay, CarPlay is already running before the user is ready to use it. CarKey support is now a must have feature! Any manufacturer that looked at CarKey and thought we don’t need that functionality made a mistake because Apple (and Google) are adding new functionality all the time that builds on their existing technologies in unexpected ways.

CarPlay keeps getting better and better. With the next update, anyone in the car will be able to play songs from their own phone. This means that a passenger’s playlists can now be easily played even though the driver’s phone is the one running CarPlay. This is a major feature that will just come for free when users update their phone software, car manufacturers have nothing to do to make it work.

Last edited:
looks like I am in line after you @J Alynn .....by only two days. 😢😂.

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn