Starting the Scout

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Yes, as mentioned in my previous post above, I also have 2 key cards. Phones being charged is rarely an issue, and once you are in your vehicle, you phone can charge wirelessly, or via USB-C:

Rivian achieved this with 4 different key types for my R1T:

1. App
2. Carabiner Key Fob (terrible buttons / hardly use / looks cool)
3. Waterproof bracelet (rarely needed, but good for surfing, thoughtful to provide)
4. Key Card (2 of them, back-up key left at home, good for service drop, valet, etc.)

I use my phone as a key almost 100% of the time in my iX. It’s so strange to carry the key fob anymore. I second shutting the app if you’re working around the vehicle as the lights blink, mirrors fold, door unlock every time you pass it within a few feet.

Reactions: R1TVT
My hang up with apps is bugs. My daughter can no longer use her remote find app because there is a bug that using locks or remote start with app set the car alarm off multiple times (sometimes over an hour’s time because it registers that the hood release is not locked down. So the phone is completely useless with her until Ford decides to fix it.
I personally also like a physical switch just so I know it’s on. My new hybrid accord is so damn quiet I don’t always know if the start button started it. Thats why I like a toggle because then there is a visual “on”.

Reactions: oldgeeksguide
My hang up with apps is bugs. My daughter can no longer use her remote find app because there is a bug that using locks or remote start with app set the car alarm off multiple times (sometimes over an hour’s time because it registers that the hood release is not locked down. So the phone is completely useless with her until Ford decides to fix it.
I personally also like a physical switch just so I know it’s on. My new hybrid accord is so damn quiet I don’t always know if the start button started it. Thats why I like a toggle because then there is a visual “on”.
When things aren’t working, it’s important to have a physical key backup, eg hyundai/kia vehicles have a problem keeping their 12V batteries charged, when they die you need a physical key to get in the car so you can open the hood to access the 12V battery so you can charge it to turn it on. Physical backup is very important to me. Not to mention that apps tend to heavily rely on connectivity, often when it’s not really necessary, and a scout is not always going to be somewhere with a network connection.

Reactions: J Alynn
When things aren’t working, it’s important to have a physical key backup, eg hyundai/kia vehicles have a problem keeping their 12V batteries charged, when they die you need a physical key to get in the car so you can open the hood to access the 12V battery so you can charge it to turn it on. Physical backup is very important to me. Not to mention that apps tend to heavily rely on connectivity, often when it’s not really necessary, and a scout is not always going to be somewhere with a network connection.
I don’t disagree and if you saw my post about changing the 12v in my wife’s dead BMW x5 PHEV that was a perfect real world example of the need for a physical key/door release.

Phones, especially Galaxy S10 (due for an upgrade) lose charge and if you are 100% dependant on your phone as thd key and phone is dead you are stuck.

My new ICE powered BMW comes with a wallet card that can be programmed to be the only key needed. I am sure an EV could do same.

My laptop opens based on facial recognition. Phones fo as well. Certainly facial recognition might be an added level of security if someone other than you has your phone or wallet card and attempts to start and drive away. But unless you have a camera mounted at entry point of vehicle facial recognition would not be ideal for initial vehicle entry.
Facial recognition would most likely be integrated into the DMS (Driver Monitoring System. ) This is above the driver's head around the windshield. It monitors your eyes to detect fatigue.
There is no reason it can't be designed as both. Plus, once everyone has their biometric data set, the vehicle can implement features (seat placement, mirrors, etc) or restrictions.
Kinda like the red key for Hellcats.
I avoid biometric encryption. It's easily replicated and fool (especially, in forensics. )
I use pattern recognition because only when I'm conscious the key comes from an internal (brain) not external (fingers, eyes, face, etc) source.

The best option is a customer programmable feature to select from.