Starting the Scout

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

J Alynn

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Just wondering if anyone has any cool thoughts on how to start the Scouts? Kinda tired of the stereotypical red push button start.
Might be cool to have a nice red anodized aluminum toggle or maybe green for GO/environmentally friendly.
Or maybe three toggles overhead like an airplane 😀(1)-ready, (2)-set and (3rd) would be go. Too much work on that idea but must be something a bit more special than the red “easy” button

Last edited:
Reactions: LastDayScout
None of my vehicles have red buttons. The new X4 button is beside the gearshift and I keep reaching for the dash where the old one was.

Let's get radical and ask for an actual key to turn. Not one you insert as the vehicle would only start with keyfob inside but a twistable key goes along with 3D buttons

Reactions: J Alynn
None of my vehicles have red buttons. The new X4 button is beside the gearshift and I keep reaching for the dash where the old one was.

Let's get radical and ask for an actual key to turn. Not one you insert as the vehicle would only start with keyfob inside but a twistable key goes along with 3D buttons
That was popular for a phase with cars like the Honda S2000. You put key in them you pushed a start button. It was the pre-fob evolution

Hah, when we started remodeling our 200 year old farmhouse 35 years ago all the wall switches were push button (installed 75 years before that)

View attachment 2470
Sweet! Love that old cool stuff. My first architecture job I did was the main school (K-12, all in one building-built in 1921)
We snagged the original exit signs which were solid brass boxes with red glass inserts behind the cut out letters. Super cool stuff and they were just throwing it all away. Got original school house lights and desks and probably asbestos too 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: LastDayScout
Just wondering if anyone has any cool thoughts on how to start the Scouts? Kinda tired of the stereotypical red push button start.
Might be cool to have a nice red anodized aluminum toggle or maybe green for GO/environmentally friendly.
Or maybe three toggles overhead like an airplane 😀(1)-ready, (2)-set and (3rd) would be go. Too much work on that idea but must be something a bit more special that the red “easy” button
Maybe a code, like pull the choke, pump the accelerator 3 times, turn the switch for exactly 2.7s, then you have 4s to push the choke back in or the whole car reboots and you have to start all over 🤣

I like the idea of something different, maybe a manual turn/toggle switch on the column with some weight behind it. If the keyfob is going to be in my pocket or linked to a phone having to get something out to connect somewhere isn’t ideal. We’ve been spoiled in the modern push button Bluetooth age where you don’t have to pull things out of pockets or bags.
Same goes for all the switches on the dash, have a nice crisp click when you toggle them. Concord Aerospace makes some replica switches based on the Apollo that give the nice retro clean feeling

I like the idea of something different, maybe a manual turn/toggle switch on the column with some weight behind it. If the keyfob is going to be in my pocket or linked to a phone having to get something out to connect somewhere isn’t ideal. We’ve been spoiled in the modern push button Bluetooth age where you don’t have to pull things out of pockets or bags.
Same goes for all the switches on the dash, have a nice crisp click when you toggle them. Concord Aerospace makes some replica switches based on the Apollo that give the nice retro clean feeling
Like the thinking. And Scott Keogh keeps mentioning buttons in interviews so maybe we will get something heavier than plastic knobs and buttons

Reactions: Milesm22
You don't really have to "start" an EV (it will just need to have a handshake with the driver & be awakened if in a sleep state or camp mode) a toggle, switch, key, or anything physical will just be a back-up for your the Scout app.

Rivian achieved this with 4 different key types for my R1T:

1. App
2. Carabiner Key Fob (terrible buttons / hardly use / looks cool)
3. Waterproof bracelet (rarely needed, but good for surfing, thoughtful to provide)
4. Key Card (2 of them, back-up key left at home, good for service drop, valet, etc.)

Since you pretty much have your phone on you more than a wallet or key chain these days, the other stuff is all back-up, at least seems that way for me.

Reactions: J. Sweat
You don't really have to "start" an EV (it will just need to have a handshake with the driver & be awakened if in a sleep state or camp mode) a toggle, switch, key, or anything physical will just be a back-up for your the Scout app.

Rivian achieved this with 4 different key types for my R1T:

1. App
2. Carabiner Key Fob (terrible buttons / hardly use / looks cool)
3. Waterproof bracelet (rarely needed, but good for surfing, thoughtful to provide)
4. Key Card (2 of them, back-up key left at home, good for service drop, valet, etc.)

Since you pretty much have your phone on you more than a wallet or key chain these days, the other stuff is all back-up, at least seems that way for me.
That's kinda where my mind was going....is a start button even needed? No motor to start. Keeping with the theme of simplicity, driver sits in the driver seat and car is put into active mode: AC, radio etc. come on and shifter is activated.

Reactions: R1TVT
Yes, you need the input for KL15 ( ign.) This wakes up the LV system. Similar to any other vehicles, KL30 (+12/24vdc constant) and KL15 need to be used.
It also wakes up the VCU(s) [Vehicle Control Unit] and coordinates everything else from there, even HV.
So yes, some type of mechanism needs to be established. I like A2B microphones and speakers (analog to digital voice commands) they allow you to say "Start" ( or any other key words you setup. The Fobik still needs to be present, but a special command is another security feature and one I haven't seen used yet.
Even for remote start, that same command could be implemented along with the redundant push button.

How about facial recognition with cameras before entry, unlock and prep with all of that programmed person’s settings?

How about facial recognition with cameras before entry, unlock and prep with all of that programmed person’s settings?
Even better. A tiny microchip implemented into your hand. It can be programed with OTAs.
No, way...

The entire key for Scout here (IMHO) is enabling the optimal driver experience, which means "needing to do as little as possible" to get in your truck and then drive away. Adding friction to a process that doesn't require friction tends not to work well. Would you rather tap to pay, or pull out your wallet, find a credit card, then tap, insert or hand to a cashier? And yes, your phone is going to be much more likely to already be in your hand. If you are at checkout and have cash, great, but you still need to wait on a clerk to ring you up, then give you change. Humans and lazy and impatient and have high expectations, so as the bar keeps coming down on things like "starting your car", using a key becomes almost irrelevant.

I would say that 95% of the time, your phone will be in your pocket, and you don't need to do anything (other than perhaps having the phone turned on and the app opened in the background). If you kill the app, proximity can be killed. This is a good thing... If you are working in your garage (for example) you probably want to kill the app so your truck doesn't keep locking and unlocking, sleeping and awakening.

There is just so much than can be done (and added) to the user experience in an OEM mobile app for EV owners. I never really thought much about it before the R1T, but it is a full extension of the vehicle that you carry in your pocket.

Phones, especially Galaxy S10 (due for an upgrade) lose charge and if you are 100% dependant on your phone as thd key and phone is dead you are stuck.

My new ICE powered BMW comes with a wallet card that can be programmed to be the only key needed. I am sure an EV could do same.

My laptop opens based on facial recognition. Phones fo as well. Certainly facial recognition might be an added level of security if someone other than you has your phone or wallet card and attempts to start and drive away. But unless you have a camera mounted at entry point of vehicle facial recognition would not be ideal for initial vehicle entry.

Reactions: J Alynn