VW is investing in Rivian

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
By the time Scouts get built maybe they can implement Samsung's solid state battery with a claimed 100% charge in 9 minutes
Sure. If the timing is not practical for original SOP, following variants could have this option, if it a technical and proven advantage.
One of my points about NA-ion, was for usage in both LV and HV. So far, on paper possibilities exist, but the extent and controls needed are something I haven't had time to decide on. Which very well, may eliminate the idea.
I haven't researched SSDs much, but hows the LV practically especially at extreme temperatures? Also, feel free to throw out a BMS configuration(s)?
All my LI-ion HV vehicles have forced me into a LA 12/24V architecture and its associated integration.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
HV Battery? Personally, a Rivian battery has almost juice. ONE ,right down the road, is a strong supplier who should have the kinks out by Scout SOP.
However, NA-ion might be a good fit in the future. Offering a HV & LV system makes sense, if the chemistry matches.
Plug n play is what we want in our next EVs batteries and we'll see it. 100% charging rate thru the entire session would be nice.. Fast and easy. I heard some Taycans had or may still have that feature.

NACS, glad to see it, may still have the clunky J1772 cord.

Daughter is 95 lbs and in 25F in Baker Cali wrestling with the frozen J1772 charging cable she have lost 4 lbs weight. The cable nearly outweighed her.

My first computer was one kilobyte. Friends swore one day they will be a mega bite. We dreamed, maybe in our lifetimes.

We'll see battery improvement like you mention and it'll be so welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn and Kris K
By the time Scouts get built maybe they can implement Samsung's solid state battery with a claimed 100% charge in 9 minutes
I wouldn't hold your breath. Solid state batteries have a lot of hype around them but they still don't work below freezing and depending on the electrolyte can be prone to cracking making their longevity an issue. Also the super-fast charge time claims people make are hilarious. Sure you can theoretically charge a car in 10 seconds...if you're willing to throw megawatts of power at it but the practical limitations of the grid and conductors mean we'll probably be limited to around what we have now (350 kW or so) for the foreseeable future. Higher voltage packs mean fast charging but also introduce other challenges so I expect passenger vehicles to stay around the 800V mark while commercial trucks will probably be closer to 1,000V.

Even now charging on many vehicles is fast enough that it doesn't matter and doesn't impact the length of a road trip or anything when compared to a ICE vehicle, at least not out in the real world. Sure you can fill a gas car in two minutes in theory but then you usually go in and get a snack, maybe use the washroom, and by the time you're out of there it's been fifteen or twenty minutes, just like an EV charge stop.

I'm talking road trip gas stops, not the ones you do around town. Your every day around town gas stop would be faster but those are unnecessary with an EV since you can charge at home. With an EV you don't have the inconvenience of having to stop at a special building in the middle of your errands to fill up, you can start every day with a "full tank" if you want to.

Reactions: J Alynn
UK based startup Nyobolt are making packs that charge to 90% in less than 10 minutes with existing fast chargers. The battery cells operate down to -10C. It’s unclear to me what technology they are using but it looks like the chemistry is lithium ion. The packs can apparently be built with the existing supply chain.

UK based startup Nyobolt are making packs that charge to 90% in less than 10 minutes with existing fast chargers. The battery cells operate down to -10C. It’s unclear to me what technology they are using but it looks like the chemistry is lithium ion. The packs can apparently be built with the existing supply chain.
Startups making those sorts of claims are a dime a dozen and pop up every week. Wake me up when someone brings a battery like to into mass production. It's one thing getting something to work in a lab, it's quite another getting it to do the thing reliably and at scale.

Given that lithium-ion batteries have been well understood for almost three decades now it's extremely unlikely some small startup somewhere has made a breakthrough discovery that will upend the industry. Changes in battery technology are iterative and happen incrementally.

Like I said, don't hold your breath. There are always startups making bold claims. None of them ever amount to much of anything.

Startups making those sorts of claims are a dime a dozen and pop up every week. Wake me up when someone brings a battery like to into mass production. It's one thing getting something to work in a lab, it's quite another getting it to do the thing reliably and at scale.

Given that lithium-ion batteries have been well understood for almost three decades now it's extremely unlikely some small startup somewhere has made a breakthrough discovery that will upend the industry. Changes in battery technology are iterative and happen incrementally.

Like I said, don't hold your breath. There are always startups making bold claims. None of them ever amount to much of anything.
Must be talk to attract investment capital.

We had solar charging at my work. Some locations backed up by a basement half the size of a football field with lead acid batteries.

Vast lead acid battery banks at over 50 locations around Calif and Nevada. Supports equipment with NIS aka Non-interruptible [electrical] supply..

A guy was hired to maintain the batteries. Looked like a hermit living in a cave. Acid holes in all his clothes, holes in his teeth no telling where they came from but rumored from when he handled mercury in his former gold mine job,, vicious acid burns on his skin.

His service truck looked the same way, and it was new.

1722963764564.jpeg

Last edited:

Nyobolt have publicly demonstrated the technology. And did so charging with a public charger.

They are not revealing exactly how their technology works. But the demo worked.

Technological breakthroughs can come from anywhere! Some of the greatest (and seemingly impossible) inventions in history even came from non-engineers that approached problems in different ways and challenged accepted universally held assumptions that were holding the experts back.

Sometimes significant leaps come from very small, modest teams.

I certainly wouldn’t dismiss what the engineers at Nyobolt might have achieved just because they are a small company.

Reactions: J Alynn and Bodie
I have seen tons of demos in my time from paint protestants that resist flaming (low temp) liquids, Dodge Vipers running laps with no oil after special additive, I could go on...

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
I have seen tons of demos in my time from paint protestants that resist flaming (low temp) liquids, Dodge Vipers running laps with no oil after special additive, I could go on...
Exactly. Demos can be faked. Heck, even Apple faked it in the first iPhone demo with the phone barely working on stage and the apps on screen were just image placeholders. The difference is Apple wasn’t fighting the laws of physics and was well funded. Quantumscape made similar battery claims a few years ago with big promises that have yet to materialize. Anyone can claim things. Startups especially are in the business of building hype because that’s how they get investment funds. They might have really smart engineers but they all still have to obey the laws of physics and chemistry. If a well-funded battery behemoths like BYD, Tesla, LG, or CATL haven’t been able to make step-changing breakthroughs in the past twenty years then it’s unlikely some nothing startup in the UK has figured out some kind of special magic.

Reactions: J Alynn