VW is investing in Rivian

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
“Scout are…”

“VW are…”

“Rivian are…”

Scout is a singular company, folks; same with VW and Rivian. There’s just one of each.

As for the news about VW’s investment in Rivian, I think it’s fairly common for competing automakers to collaborate/invest in joint programs and each other. In addition to Ford/Rivian already mentioned, I can think of Porsche/Subaru, Ford/Mazda, Subaru/Toyota, Tesla/Toyota, Tesla/Daimler AG (Mercedes), etc. Not concerned.

Reactions: oldgeeksguide
“Scout are…”

“VW are…”

“Rivian are…”

Scout is a singular company, folks; same with VW and Rivian. There’s just one of each.

As for the news about VW’s investment in Rivian, I think it’s fairly common for competing automakers to collaborate/invest in joint programs and each other. In addition to Ford/Rivian already mentioned, I can think of Porsche/Subaru, Ford/Mazda, Subaru/Toyota, Tesla/Toyota, Tesla/Daimler AG (Mercedes), etc. Not concerned.
I’ve noticed recently that Brits tend to use “are” instead if “is” for companies, not sure when that started, but maybe it’s starting to influence folks on this side of the pond. Grates on me too.

Reactions: J. Sweat
I’ve noticed recently that Brits tend to use “are” instead if “is” for companies, not sure when that started, but maybe it’s starting to influence folks on this side of the pond. Grates on me too.
Here in Canada we tend to speak the king's English like the Brits, we don't speak 'American'. We spell "colour" correctly for example, and say "zed" instead of "zee" because only Americans say that particular letter of the alphabet so incorrectly! For Aussies, Kiwis, all other English speakers, it's "zed".

Companies are collectives of humans so it makes sense to use a plural when speaking about them. It's amusing to me that Americans think they can be language police for a countries like England. You know, England...the place the whole language is named after? "English"..."England"...see the connection? lol :p

I get that but Scout came out of the gate swinging as a “born again” then suddenly (VW-not Scout) buying into competitors. Just seems like maybe that should’ve started first then you would’ve had legitimacy of VW and experience of Rivian. Doing it a year in a half in leaves room to be perceived as “we can’t figure it out and we need help”. Which is fine as well as that is why car manufacturers collaborate on projects. Look at Toyota and BMW-never would I thought that would happen so just worry how outsiders from the forum and EV naysayers may perceive this venture. Can also be looked at favorably but negative media spreads faster so I hope I’m just playing devil’s advocate more than need be

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
I'd be shocked if the Rivian zonal tech made it into the version 1 Scout. The timing is off. Remember that SM wants to get it out as fast as possible and so had contracted Magna to engineer the Scout nine months ago using a combination of Magna parts and VW/Audi parts. Even if SM had privately licensed the zonal tech a full year ago, adapting all the parts to use the new controllers (computers) and protocols would take extra time. The only caveat I see is that if Rivian themselves are using Magna and VW parts already and have already done the integrations. Then, if Scout had come up with a private IP deal with Rivian about a year ago (not this public VW one), then this new zonal tech might make it into version 1.

It's pretty clear to me that the VW/Rivian announcement has nothing to do with Scout. They would have done the same thing if SM did not exist at all. This is about a huge car manufacturer licensing tech to make cars more cheaply. That's it. Sure, SM will use it at some point to lower their costs, but so will every other brand and car under the VW umbrella. It's not a Scout play, per-se.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there are some minor "anti-Scout" provisions that VW had to acquiesce to in order to get the Rivian IP, because the competition from Scout should be a huge concern for Rivian.

It comes from
"We are...Penn State"

Go blue and white

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn
I'd be shocked if the Rivian zonal tech made it into the version 1 Scout. The timing is off. Remember that SM wants to get it out as fast as possible and so had contracted Magna to engineer the Scout nine months ago using a combination of Magna parts and VW/Audi parts. Even if SM had privately licensed the zonal tech a full year ago, adapting all the parts to use the new controllers (computers) and protocols would take extra time. The only caveat I see is that if Rivian themselves are using Magna and VW parts already and have already done the integrations. Then, if Scout had come up with a private IP deal with Rivian about a year ago (not this public VW one), then this new zonal tech might make it into version 1.

It's pretty clear to me that the VW/Rivian announcement has nothing to do with Scout. They would have done the same thing if SM did not exist at all. This is about a huge car manufacturer licensing tech to make cars more cheaply. That's it. Sure, SM will use it at some point to lower their costs, but so will every other brand and car under the VW umbrella. It's not a Scout play, per-se.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there are some minor "anti-Scout" provisions that VW had to acquiesce to in order to get the Rivian IP, because the competition from Scout should be a huge concern for Rivian.

The SUV and pickup truck market segments are the largest in this country. There is room for multiple competitors. I'd also propose that Rivian competes in a different price segment with product that is different in many ways from what we are working on. Yes, we are both making SUVs and pickup trucks (lots of companies are) and they can all travel off-road, but there are many different ways to do that, support that and package it. Plus ours will have a history and heritage that comes through in both the design and the product itself. Rugged. Capable. Multitool. Plus it looks good. :D

The SUV and pickup truck market segments are the largest in this country. There is room for multiple competitors. I'd also propose that Rivian competes in a different price segment with product that is different in many ways from what we are working on. Yes, we are both making SUVs and pickup trucks (lots of companies are) and they can all travel off-road, but there are many different ways to do that, support that and package it. Plus ours will have a history and heritage that comes through in both the design and the product itself. Rugged. Capable. Multitool. Plus it looks good. :D
We'll need a picture for proof. 😄

Very happy to have competition in “a different price segment”, lots of room in the market for more affordable EVs!
(And buttons 😋!)

We'll need a picture for proof. 😄

I had to work really hard to get this out of our design team....

scout.jpg

I just saw on Automotive News today that VW has been working on this Rivian thing for many months. They even sent over a couple of Audi vehicles and had Rivian take out the conventional electronics and put in their zonal technology. Apparently the VW people were super impressed by the advantages even on a modified Audi. At the Rivian investor day RJ said that while they will share the zonal architecture. drive components, and software the vehicles from each brand will look completely different. So Scout vehicles will have very different software, a unique look and feel, compared to any other vehicles using the tech and platform.

Given how long it seem that VW and Rivian have been quietly working on this partnership in the background I can't help but hope that Scout will benefit from the zonal architecture from day one. Afterall Rivian is already shipping it in their R1 Gen 2 vehicles and the R2 and Scout vehicles will be launching very close together, close enough that they are probably in similar stages of design and development. Perhaps Scout has gotten in at the ground floor of this Rivian tech?

Reactions: Albal and J Alynn