Transfer Case

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

SLO_Scout

1st Year Member
Dec 5, 2022
California
I know that modern EVs, with their instant and linear “torque-curves”, do not need transfer cases per-se. I mean, the most capable EV off road rigs have direct-drive or at least direct-to-axle motors. With quad-motors and 1000lb/ft^2 of torque, transfer cases are not an option.

However, Scout will need to consider the need to flat-tow any off roader. Most EVs cannot do this without damaging the batteries and/or electronics. Please consider a way to decouple the motors from the axles/wheels. While transfer cases multiply torque at the wheels, they are also used to control wheel speed with the throttle. With no transmission, you could effectively spin the wheels at 80mph while at a standstill on sand, snow, and ice; not always a desirable characteristic.

You may also consider these benefits of a transfer case. If they are not necessary or cost effective (front and rear motors need two transfer cases), the benefits of controlling wheel speed in some conditions can be achieved by simulating gear reduction via throttle dynamics and other modifications in a driving mode.

Many dedicated trail rigs have 4 manual locking hubs in case they break an axle and need to drive home in front wheel drive. This is a good idea. Also, it is another nod to the old Scouts, with their Warn locking front hubs.

I assume that the Scout EV would be full-time 4WD. I think the hubs would be unnecessary and would remain engaged 99.9% of the time. I imagine that a circuit or relays could isolate the motors or a transmission having a neutral could alleviate the same issue. I guess SM’s fun will be in determining which way is cheapest and provides the right strength, reliability, and appeal to their market.

I actually think a 2 speed transmission would be ideal for the off road aspect of Scouts. Buuuuuut $$$ mean unless they make an offroad specific model that cost a lot more (like a Ford Raptor?) I don't see this happening for that reason.

And I would really love it if the made REAL locking differentials an option!

Current VW models (ID) have Neutral rolling mode so car can be pushed, pulled, go thru a car wash. I have no idea if the system can be left like that so car can be towed at speed. Probably going to be told to put it on a trailer. But I don't see why motor selection and some software couldn't make this a viable option on Scout.

Or maybe add a neutral position to the reduction transmission all electric vehicles have. Currently they are constant mesh and always in gear, but maybe that could be the economical option of allowing neutral for towing.

Jason

PS: And add a real Park Lock! Current models have no park lock, the car just applies the mechanical parking brake with an electrical motor.