The Road to Scout Production - All the latest updates in one place...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I mentioned in the construction update above, production at end of 2026. I think you would be surprised at how quickly various manufacturers have gotten new facilities built and running in the last few years. Particularly in the southern climates. Lots of things can happen along the way, but lets see how it goes. We have a veteran team of great people managing this project.
I’ve seen large warehouses go up quickly. Not this large but if PA winter doesn’t kill production I’m sure the SC warm climate will allow lots of work to move along. The hard part of site work and DEP,SCDOT is done, now it’s just form, pour, set for the foreseeable future. Remember it is a German company-they know how to build, manage and engineer very well.

So it will be 2027 model year probably

Waiting is aggravating without even a prototype yet.
Ironically I find the waiting period exciting due to the speculations surround it. Teasers are a great way to draw attention and for people to start to form thoughts and ideas on what the production vehicle looks like. Renders have come along way in recent memory and people were pretty close when it came to the recent 4Runner. I somewhat miss the days of trying to imagine the Bronco without its camo.

4 million cubic yards of earth is simply dumbfounding. Thats roughly 225,000 tri-axle loads. What are the odds they used International tri axles?
It's killing our roads. It's horrible the convoy of what I call dump trucks full of gravel.

Welcome to the first of our monthly progress updates on the construction of our new Scout Motors Production Center. In March 2023, we unveiled our plan for Scout Motors to build our new Scout vehicles at a state-of-the-art factory to be built in Blythewood, South Carolina. The site which spans a vast 1,100 acres is strategically located about 20 minutes north and east of Columbia, South Carolina. At peak capacity, we plan to produce 200,000 vehicles a year at the Production Center – that’s 40 per hour. We are thrilled to share our progress with you as construction continues.

This is a rendering (subject to changes) of the overall buildings:

View attachment 2523

As you can see in the photo above, our production center's main structures include a body shop, a paint shop, and final assembly buildings. The site also features a state-of-the-art training center for our employees and a technology center to support our future vehicles.

View attachment 2524

Over the past year, substantial work needed to be done to prepare the grounds for actual factory building construction. This involved extensive work such as grading the property flat, stabilizing the soil, relocating utilities, and adding upgraded and additional utilities. In total, more than 4 million cubic yards of dirt has been moved to ensure a flat surface pad for future structures. The infrastructure enhancements will continue with the addition of a new highway interchange to facilitate factory-specific traffic and minimize impacts on local traffic and roads. Furthermore, a rail connection will be installed to support shipping needs once production begins.

View attachment 2525

Several weeks ago, we reached a significant milestone when construction started on the physical buildings, with the first foundations and footings poured in concrete (above).

View attachment 2526

Over the last three weeks, quite a bit of progress has been made in digging the numerous shallow foundation footings that will eventually support the first vertical columns (above).

View attachment 2527

During the previous week, the first shipment of steel arrived on the construction site as shown in the picture above. The main support structures are scheduled to be erected soon, and the first roof structures will be in place by the end of this fall. We will keep you updated monthly as things progress rapidly over the next two years.
Being a 30 plus year resident of Blythewood and now having Scout out my front door basically. Would it be possible to get a tour of the property to see the advancement of the site and just get a little information on certain things. One being the large hole/drop off on Blythewood Rd right across from the school. There are no barriers and definitely no trees to stop vehicles or curious students from getting in harms way.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As we build our Production Center in Blythewood, we want to make sure the local community stays informed about what we are doing and what we have planned for the future. This includes sharing timely, transparent communication and listening and learning from our neighbors as we integrate into the community. We will share your feedback directly with our Production Center leadership team.

Living in the small town of El Segundo, CA, my neighbors are Chevron, the LAX airport, the Hyperion, SpaceX, Northrop, the Lakers, Aerospace, and countless other small, medium, and large businesses. We like these businesses and industries in and around our small town because they give us jobs, tax revenue, and I think Chevron even funds our fire department, which is separate from Los Angeles just like our police department, largely because of said businesses making that possible. We have the best public schools in Los Angeles. It’s great. It’s not too late to move that Scout factory 😉

Last edited:
Living in the small town of El Segundo, CA, my neighbors are Chevron, the LAX airport, the Hyperion, SpaceX, Northrop, the Lakers, Aerospace, and countless other small, medium, and large businesses. We like these businesses and industries in and around our small town because they give us jobs, tax revenue, and I think Chevron even funds our fire department, which is separate from Los Angeles just like our police department, largely because of said businesses making that possible. We have the best public schools in Los Angeles. It’s great. It’s not too late to move that Scout factory 😉
Every cmumity has its pluses. Even if Blythewood goes union the cost of living for the workers and thus the standard of living will be far better in SC than CA. $35/ hour in SC will put food on a small table whereas double that in LA won't provide even a table let alone food on it

Reactions: J Alynn
Not sure what you mean by paint sprays, but modern paint systems can spray each vehicle on the line in different colors. So a black vehicle can be sprayed right after a white vehicle for example. So from a mechanical standpoint we can paint unlimited colors. From a practical standpoint, there is an economic issue in stocking too many paint colors, particularly when the paint has a shelf life. We haven't finalized how many colors we will offer yet, so stay tuned. Our trim and color team is great and excited about the possibilities, particularly with unique historic colors.

Jamie
If someone wants a different color I think that is an easy fix.
No

No folding windshield and the current plan is SUV first.
I'm curious after reading many of the threads what type of culture as a brand Scout is looking to cultivate? Are there plans to engage off road modification experts and or brands to build a catalog of options for post factory builds? I'm curious what are the plans to create a community of modification enthusiasts or do you envision this to be the kind of vehicle that people keep factory because of the EV?

I'm curious after reading many of the threads what type of culture as a brand Scout is looking to cultivate? Are there plans to engage off road modification experts and or brands to build a catalog of options for post factory builds? I'm curious what are the plans to create a community of modification enthusiasts or do you envision this to be the kind of vehicle that people keep factory because of the EV?
I’ll let Jamie expand but I know there’s been discussions about aftermarket planning and I feel like a saw a job posting for them at one point that sounded like a role to work with outside vendors for aftermarket parts inline with Wrangler and Bronco products.

Reactions: kagreen

I fully expect Scouts to be as moddable as Wranglers or Broncos. Just because it's an EV doesn't mean you won't be able to add custom body parts or racks or lights or whatever. I'm hoping SM takes a page from Ineos and adds in a pre-wired but blank panel for additional custom switches and stuff. My feeling is that they'll be going after the same market as Jeep, Tacoma, and Bronco so I expect there will be a decent amount of aftermarket customizability. Just because it doesn't burn fossils doesn't mean you can't mod it. If anything you might be able to mod it more and add stuff that uses power. Rivian makes a tent for their EV's that has lights and power because the truck is electric and has plugs for that. Lots of potential when you have a giant, silent, non-polluting power station with you at all times.

I fully expect Scouts to be as moddable as Wranglers or Broncos. Just because it's an EV doesn't mean you won't be able to add custom body parts or racks or lights or whatever. I'm hoping SM takes a page from Ineos and adds in a pre-wired but blank panel for additional custom switches and stuff. My feeling is that they'll be going after the same market as Jeep, Tacoma, and Bronco so I expect there will be a decent amount of aftermarket customizability. Just because it doesn't burn fossils doesn't mean you can't mod it. If anything you might be able to mod it more and add stuff that uses power. Rivian makes a tent for their EV's that has lights and power because the truck is electric and has plugs for that. Lots of potential when you have a giant, silent, non-polluting power station with you at all times.
Absolutely! The ev industry has been unduly influenced by tesla’s “applish” minimalist, “don’t you worry your pretty little head”, approach. Scouts want to be in the drivers seat and aren’t afraid of info, specs, mods and physical controls. There’s a lot of potential for differentiation, especially by making things repairable and mod-able.

Absolutely! The ev industry has been unduly influenced by tesla’s “applish” minimalist, “don’t you worry your pretty little head”, approach. Scouts want to be in the drivers seat and aren’t afraid of info, specs, mods and physical controls. There’s a lot of potential for differentiation, especially by making things repairable and mod-able.
How about a Daily Mode and a Weekend Mode?

Daily mode is a nice, simple, plush interior with voice commands and 75 different computer screens.

Weekend mode see the screens suck in, panels swivel out for switches, knobs replaced with gear shifters, the stereo turns up to 16 out of 20, and the voice commands now are calibrated for wind and shouting voices.

How about a Daily Mode and a Weekend Mode?

Daily mode is a nice, simple, plush interior with voice commands and 75 different computer screens.

Weekend mode see the screens suck in, panels swivel out for switches, knobs replaced with gear shifters, the stereo turns up to 16 out of 20, and the voice commands now are calibrated for wind and shouting voices.
That sounds like a lot of extra complexity. I think it would be better to just design everything to be both rugged but also practical for daily use. I'm sure they'll be able to find that balance.