So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
A lot of the suggestions in here are characteristics of wranglers and broncos. I agree with most of them. I’d like to see a real electric off-roader that doesn’t break the bank like the hummers. I like the body on frame modular design that’s easy to modify and add aftermarket accessories. I love the pre-wired upfitter switches and easily removable and interchangeable parts. Removable top and doors are a must. I’ll add the suggestion of having real bumpers. In the concept pics I’ve seen, it looks like the bumpers are hidden behind plastic body panels. I’m not interested in an electric grand cherokee. The parts that typically get banged up off-roading should be easily removable and replaceable without needing body work and paint.

It seems like they want to do something similar to the bronco reboot. That’s great and all, but besides obviously trying not to duplicate the clusterfork of the bronco rollout, there are a couple things I hope they do differently. There are way too many different trim levels of broncos and it seemed kind of stupid that certain features are only available on certain trims. Like the sway bar disconnect being exclusive to the badlands (and first edition for 2021). And how the different trims have different interior color options. Different wheels for different trims. Ideally, all of the features and options could be added a la cart. Or at least group the different features better and offer any and all options packages on any trim level.

One option that has been very nice on the bronco is the different front facing camera views. It‘s pretty helpful if you don’t have a spotter and don’t want to get in and out a bunch to get yourself lined up. Adding the front and rear facing undercarriage cameras like the hummer has would be awesome. You’d never have to get out of the truck if you don’t want to. The trail turn assist in the bronco is also pretty nice to have. Actually using it on trails, not just hitting the giggle button and doing donuts in a snowy parking lot. The crab walk feature on the hummers looks even cooler. I hope to get a chance to try that out one day.

Some bronco features I could do without are all the different “goat modes” and the “one pedal driving” or the “vehicle decent control” like the land rovers have. It’s not like those features are bad to have, and you don’t have to use them, but it takes all the skill and guesswork out of off-roading. I guess you could say the same about all the cameras, but I’m older and lazier now. They keep me from having to get in and out of the truck a bunch of times.

The near vertical slant on windshields results in rock chips being much more common. Even Jeep sloped the windshields more on the JLs. I have a new Bronco, I was on my second windshield in less than three months and the new one was already chipped three weeks later. There are tons of other bronco owners who are on their second, third, or even fourth windshields. They don’t make a gorilla glass windshield for broncos yet, but Jeep owners will tell you that even the gorilla glass doesn’t help much. I don’t disagree, but if they go more vertical with the windshield angle, I’d suggest getting the lowest deductible you can on your comprehensive coverage.
That is a very good point you make

I know I’m not the one you were responding to, but I’m very happy with my bronco. It’s certainly not like there’s nothing to criticize. I’m not brand loyal at all, and I’ve never been a Ford guy even though I currently have the bronco and an old 7.3 powerstroke. Both of my work trucks are Chevys and my wife drives a Jeep. Ford interiors have always felt cheap to me compared to GM and Chrysler. That’s my biggest complaint.

Yeah, it was a painful wait to get it, I reserved on day 1 and still got bumped to a 22 because I wanted the hard top even with all the squeaks, rattles, and wind noise. The people having tie rod issues are mostly guys up on 37s or 40s. I’m still on 35s (not the Goodyears it came with), but there are several cheap solutions to strengthen them. I put on some reinforcement sleeves that cost $50. I haven’t broken one yet, and I haven’t gone easy on it, but I still carry an extra tie rod. I learned that it’s the same tie rod they use on the rangers, and you can get aftermarket ranger tie rods for $21 on Amazon. I agree about the powertrain options. I would have preferred a naturally aspirated v8, but the 2.7 has plenty of power. I also agree that all the different “shades of grey” are pretty boring, but I have had more compliments than I can count on the eruption green color, and I really like the hot pepper red and velocity blue colors too. Not a fan of the yellow, but I wouldn’t say all the colors are boring.

You could say I’m biased too, but I will say that a couple of my buddies who are die hard jeep guys have been nothing but impressed with it. It’s competitive in the rocks even with the independent front suspension, much more stable and comfortable at higher speeds on trails and in sand (haven’t had it in the snow yet), but it’s night and day on the highway compared to wranglers. There’s a great OHV park near me that I’ve taken it to several times, and I’ve had a bunch of guys stop me to ask about it, and comment on how effortlessly it took on some of the obstacles. Even the people who don’t want to like it are impressed by it.

I do think ford had some great ideas for the bronco, but it IS still a ford, and you can tell. If the scout turns out to be basically an electric bronco, they could do a lot worse.
Sir, you have my respect(for what that's worth :)). Very excellent review based on my trash talking. You made me soften on the Bronco a little bit. Thanks for your input and honesty.

The Scout name is certainly storied and tough, it's great you are bringing it back. My only visual concern is the rear corner windows. I understand the spiritual kink in the back, but that looks like an awful blind spot. Go look at the FJ Cruiser. That thing in practically deadly for looking over your shoulder out the back. I hate/do not trust or use blind spot technology. Keep it Simple.

That's a great point Bob and appreciate the mention. As the vehicle continues through development and design, that's definitely something on our radar, so we'll be working through how to keep the iconic cut in the window to build upon the Scout ii look, while also keeping in mind the need for visibility. Will definitely make sure we keep an eye on this moving forward!

A lot of the suggestions in here are characteristics of wranglers and broncos. I agree with most of them. I’d like to see a real electric off-roader that doesn’t break the bank like the hummers. I like the body on frame modular design that’s easy to modify and add aftermarket accessories. I love the pre-wired upfitter switches and easily removable and interchangeable parts. Removable top and doors are a must. I’ll add the suggestion of having real bumpers. In the concept pics I’ve seen, it looks like the bumpers are hidden behind plastic body panels. I’m not interested in an electric grand cherokee. The parts that typically get banged up off-roading should be easily removable and replaceable without needing body work and paint.

It seems like they want to do something similar to the bronco reboot. That’s great and all, but besides obviously trying not to duplicate the clusterfork of the bronco rollout, there are a couple things I hope they do differently. There are way too many different trim levels of broncos and it seemed kind of stupid that certain features are only available on certain trims. Like the sway bar disconnect being exclusive to the badlands (and first edition for 2021). And how the different trims have different interior color options. Different wheels for different trims. Ideally, all of the features and options could be added a la cart. Or at least group the different features better and offer any and all options packages on any trim level.

One option that has been very nice on the bronco is the different front facing camera views. It‘s pretty helpful if you don’t have a spotter and don’t want to get in and out a bunch to get yourself lined up. Adding the front and rear facing undercarriage cameras like the hummer has would be awesome. You’d never have to get out of the truck if you don’t want to. The trail turn assist in the bronco is also pretty nice to have. Actually using it on trails, not just hitting the giggle button and doing donuts in a snowy parking lot. The crab walk feature on the hummers looks even cooler. I hope to get a chance to try that out one day.

Some bronco features I could do without are all the different “goat modes” and the “one pedal driving” or the “vehicle decent control” like the land rovers have. It’s not like those features are bad to have, and you don’t have to use them, but it takes all the skill and guesswork out of off-roading. I guess you could say the same about all the cameras, but I’m older and lazier now. They keep me from having to get in and out of the truck a bunch of times.
I think you make some fantastic observations and additions most haven't thought of, namely the trims, the cameras and the bumpers.

One thing that we talk about a ton with the Wranglers and the front camera(and rear for that matter) is the ability to record, like a dash cam. This would be nice to have.

Making the pickup a convertible would be a great way to differentiate it from the Rivian R1T. Hint Hint!!

I second the idea of a convertible. It needs to have a removable hard top roof like all the previous Scouts before it. It will separate it from vehicles like the new defender.

Agree with the convertible top. I'm not a fan of the rear designs on the SUV and Pickup. The lines and angles look like the boilerplate design on most modern cars nowadays. Also as a taller person, I'd like less slant on the window angle.

Thanks for the feedback guys, will take this back to the design team on our side!

I really like the concept. I wonder if a actual lift gate / tail gate would be welcomed by the customers. A one piece lift gate does make it easier to load / unload items in the cargo area, however the tail gate is much welcomed for actual "tailgating", camping, gathering, etc. .. that said I admit to taking shelter from gentle rains by standing under the opened liftgate of a Scout Traveler. As far as the drive line... well let's see what direction it starts to go. Lots of options with electric powered platforms -- central motor driving individual wheel hydro motors, more traditional set-ups that are on the market now but more substantial and durable with better water forging capabilities.... All very interesting. Thanks for taking the legacy seriously while looking to the Future. The original Scout had several "first" along the way. It looks as if perhaps that part of the legacy may continue going forward as well. I hope there is some contributions to design and manufacturing from Navistar as that will go along way in making some of us feel more secure with the platform. With all the current and ongoing future designs with the larger trucks and Navistar Defense programs one can't help but think that some of that knowledge could be useful in bringing together the needed talent and experience for the all new Scout. Wishing the new scout team every success!!

Thanks for the wishes and great input, Kent! We're currently working through a handful of different ideas for the tailgate, and luckily, we're early enough in the development and design cycle that this feedback is super helpful in making decisions on features like this. We're also developing our own BEV platform for these vehicles that will allow us to build these vehicles out to be capable, innovative, and carry forward the legacy of the Scout. I'll jot these notes down and bring them on back to the team here!

I think it has a real appeal for the right group of buyers. Please, please build a real offroad capable EV with formidable range and course capabilites. No more of these 100k+ show trucks that will NEVER see the road less traveled. Plenty of Mallfinders out there already. Build the revived Scout brand to proudly reflect on its rich history and tradition of what this namesake really means. If you build with real applications, passion, real world necessities of a true offroad EV, your community will support you... and grow.

Thanks, @blimblima. We're definitely focused on making the Scouts capable, functional vehicles that can get you out on the trails and back, but are also daily drivable. We're also working to hit an affordable price point for our customers so that they can get their hands on and use them, whether it's for daily driving, off-roading/overlanding, hauling, working, etc.

Really appreciate all the feedback that's been coming in, as well as all the stories from everyone. Getting this information from our community is going to be key to helping us make sure we maintain the spirit and heritage of the vehicle as we develop the next generation Scouts.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned so far is that the platform needs to body on frame (BOF) vs. unibody.

Thanks for the input @Beach_Bum. We're still in development but can assure you that we're working on a new technical platform, dedicated to these vehicles which will allow us to build a true rugged platform for the new Scouts to be built on. Will take this input on back to the team!

I echo the desire for a removable top. OR at least a panoramic removable center section that gives the feel and illusion of an open-air ride.
It is a large market with few contenders.
Having owned multiple Jeep Wranglers and now a new Bronco, it is a must for people like me to make the move to purchase a Scout branded vehicle.

In addition, the biggest single reservation people seem to have (and rightfully so) in an E-offroad vehicle is range.

They have plenty of torque and power, but if the range is a paltry few hundred miles, you'll get a fair share of token buyers, but the general public wanting to get away and off-grid for a longer trip or a multi-day camping excursion are not going to be among them.

It is a delicate and aspiring challenge/balance to have something off-road capable that has good CG, clearance, range, and prowess.
Jeep is in the fray with their version, Hummer is beginning to see some sales now, and Rivian is out there with their offering. None of them hit the sweet spot in ability and range combined. Each does a few things well, but none really get the "offroad" blood pumping for enthusiasts.
And then you have the Cybertruck is who-knows-now development. Bold love it or hate type of design cues on that one.

Weight is an issue, but inherent in our current tech. Something to consider.

Styling wise I like the above sneak renders.
Suggestion for the rear gate on the SUV model: Rear gate needs to be 2-piece with a flip up rear window and an actual tailgate.
I agree with @Bill Linsmayer on this. Having a camping/tailgating vehicle with an actual usable tailgate is also a must.
Even if it was dual-swing where you could have either a side-swing gate or a fold-down option would be a bullseye win.

The rear overhang on the truck version looks good here. Gladiators are an awesome idea and do a lot well for the camping/off-grid life, but the enormous rear overhang is a real deterrent for some trails.

Modularity is also the key to having something that rises above. Make it able to accept accessories easily. Meaning racks, awnings, winches, steps/rail sliders, drawer slides and cargo management for those who do that sort of thing.

Best of luck!
Looking forward to what comes about with the design, implementation, and eventual launch!

Thanks for the input @broadicustomworks, this is exactly the type of feedback and dialogue we want to hear and have with our community and customers.

We're working day in and day out to make sure that these vehicles will have proper range to get out on the trails, but also back. We're developing a new platform for these vehicles, knowing that capability, durability, and range are a priority in this arena, and are working hard to nail these aspects.

And I think you're absolutely right on the difficult balance of hitting the mark on having great off-roading capabilities, but also developing a vehicle that can be daily driven and is affordable. It's a tricky sweet spot to hit but building from the ground up will really help with this. I can tell you that ground clearance, range, capability, approach/departure/break-over angles are all on the forefront of the mind here, and we're working hard to address these aspects of the vehicle.

As for design, I'm glad to hear you like the sketches that've been released, and the direction the design is taking, and the feedback. Excited to start dropping more information on these vehicles and getting more conversations running on them as they develop further. Will definitely keep the community here in the loop as we keep keepin on!

Thanks for the input @broadicustomworks, this is exactly the type of feedback and dialogue we want to hear and have with our community and customers.

We're working day in and day out to make sure that these vehicles will have proper range to get out on the trails, but also back. We're developing a new platform for these vehicles, knowing that capability, durability, and range are a priority in this arena, and are working hard to nail these aspects.

And I think you're absolutely right on the difficult balance of hitting the mark on having great off-roading capabilities, but also developing a vehicle that can be daily driven and is affordable. It's a tricky sweet spot to hit but building from the ground up will really help with this. I can tell you that ground clearance, range, capability, approach/departure/break-over angles are all on the forefront of the mind here, and we're working hard to address these aspects of the vehicle.

As for design, I'm glad to hear you like the sketches that've been released, and the direction the design is taking, and the feedback. Excited to start dropping more information on these vehicles and getting more conversations running on them as they develop further. Will definitely keep the community here in the loop as we keep keepin on!
As dumb and obvious as it sounds, I'd suggest going out with people in their vehicles both on and off road. Sometimes it can be hard to make a list sitting at a keyboard, but then you get out and about and go, "This works. This doesn't."

Please Smaller rims! >18” rims have no place on a truck, ever…. 17” rims with 33-35’s would be awesome.

I’ve been an avid off roader for >40 years. Not necessarily in the interest of off roading but to get access to all things backcountry (skiing, biking, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting,…). Grew up in norther Nevada, been in Alaska for 13 years. Over the last ~25 years my “trucks” have been a 80 series Land Cruiser, g500, and since 2014 a 2013 LX570 (200 series). In the last >10 years we have taken the stance where we rarely leave Alaska but take a vacation every weekend (and do some long 10-20 day stretches). This gets us 70-100 days a year camping in the back country of Alaska and NW Canada. Late summer when everyone is out scouting in preparation for caribou/moose/sheep/goat seasons it is not uncommon for me to see 2 or 3 trucks a weekend on a forest service road or trail on 20’s with a pinch flat. It just takes one rock…. In the summer we subsistence fish for sockeye on the beach, even 20’s with 34’s don’t give much room to air down appropriately for sand.

As an example I what I’m talking about watch this from ~11min

We have also owned 2 Teslas over the last 8 years (S and now 3). I was following Rivian closely almost since the beginning, outdoor oriented. The silly decision of them (being self proclaimed “off road” oriented) deciding to go with 20’s and make it so can’t go any smaller was the #1 reasons I canceled my reservation (that and air suspension, and it looks like 2-3 additional years before I would get the max pack). So I would have to buy a $90k truck, pull the rotors and calipers, void at least some of my warranty just to feel comfortable taking it on even mild off road trails.

Even on road, Larger wheels only hinder performance, they increase braking distance and decrease grip and acceleration. Heck even in the highest performance track cars, when F1 switched from 13” to 18” rims track times got slower across the board. Can we finally just accept the only place larger rims increase performance is video games and the fast and furious franchise and stop putting them on vehicles, especially trucks.

I have a reservation on a CyberTruck and Silverado EV. But have plenty of time to wait on the right fit for me and glad to see another brand putting thought in and asking the right questions.

Thank you for stepping into the EV truck/suv space and opening it up to a forum. Off my soap box
Thanks @ColeAK for this! I totally hear you, and will definitely bring this back to the team, think this is some valuable feedback. From my own off-roading and trail experience, I personally like smaller wheels with larger tires, and see where the benefit comes in. I'll bring it up on our front!

As dumb and obvious as it sounds, I'd suggest going out with people in their vehicles both on and off road. Sometimes it can be hard to make a list sitting at a keyboard, but then you get out and about and go, "This works. This doesn't."

No way dude. We're designing this one by reading the Internet and never going outside... :D

I was involved in the original Touareg development a long time ago and our engineers LOVE to break stuff. We literally had to abandon vehicles that had to be rescued later. VW also has an amazing number of offroad proving grounds around the world and a lot of experience with the Dakar Rally as well. Chris and I have also spent a bunch of time on trails and overlanding, so we know where you guys are coming from. When we get to the point that we have some test mules we would love to get the community involved. Stay tuned.

No way dude. We're designing this one by reading the Internet and never going outside... :D

I was involved in the original Touareg development a long time ago and our engineers LOVE to break stuff. We literally had to abandon vehicles that had to be rescued later. VW also has an amazing number of offroad proving grounds around the world and a lot of experience with the Dakar Rally as well. Chris and I have also spent a bunch of time on trails and overlanding, so we know where you guys are coming from. When we get to the point that we have some test mules we would love to get the community involved. Stay tuned.

For sure! Getting out in the field is honestly the best part of the job, and the only way to get hands-on experience and knowledge.

However, being on here is the best way to grab direct input from the larger community that we may not be able to reach in person... also have to be in the office a fair amount to be able to relay this information back in our meetings ;) .

That being said, as Jamie mentioned we both have a fair amount of off-road experience, and I'll be out on the road over the next 6 months visiting members and communities, wheelin', and organizing events & gatherings. Saw your reply on the tour thread and would love to swing by Idaho here soon to meet up with you guys and hit some trails. Also itching to get out and get some turns on the mountains, so would be a win-win on my end :)

Reactions: IdahoJOAT

It’s interesting to see the word Aspire for a second time today. I sat in a design meeting this morning (for houses) and we discussed that much of what we design never gets used by the end user. It is a means to an end to satisfy the aspirations of Mr. And Mrs. Jones. Be it they Aspire to be better than the other Jones or just envision the family sitting on rocking chairs on the front porch even if 10-1/2 months a year its too hot or cold outside to actually enjoy.
My guess is less than 30% of buyers (Scout, Bronco and Jeep) ever take their rides beyond a gravel road. That said I’m willing to bet the majority of the other 70% ALL aspire to go rock crawling or take weekend “adventure” trips. I suspect I will never go much beyond the gravel road myself but the nostalgia of my teen years driving a Scout calls to me. 10 years ago I had a BMW convertible for the sake of open top driving. Sold it after a year and a half because I missed having an SUV and refused to by a Wrangler. The best of both worlds to me is an SUV with a removable top and for many that’s the appeal. I’m sure there are parents of young kids (I was one of them once) that just refuse to sell their souls and buy a minivan and maybe that is reason enough for them to buy a Scout. The younger generation wants EVERYTHING to be authentic or to tell a story and a good part of sales will come from them because they are driving an EV, and the nostalgic aspect adds one more chapter to their “story”

For sure! Getting out in the field is honestly the best part of the job, and the only way to get hands-on experience and knowledge.

However, being on here is the best way to grab direct input from the larger community that we may not be able to reach in person... also have to be in the office a fair amount to be able to relay this information back in our meetings ;) .

That being said, as Jamie mentioned we both have a fair amount of off-road experience, and I'll be out on the road over the next 6 months visiting members and communities, wheelin', and organizing events & gatherings. Saw your reply on the tour thread and would love to swing by Idaho here soon to meet up with you guys and hit some trails. Also itching to get out and get some turns on the mountains, so would be a win-win on my end :)
Well, so far it's a bangin winter lol so not a whole lot to do off the pavement. That said, there's a really good variety of dirt around here, from rocks to trails to forest roads and tons of pavement in between.

Snap. I've read Bios of some of the Scout team... I'm not too worried about their abilities and intention in regards to designing this vehicle. I think Scout has a real opportunity to redefine what a Utility is. If you do the opposite of what literally every other automaker is doing right now you'd knock the leather off the ball. There's been nothing exciting aside from the new bronco to come down the pike in decades... aside from the wrangler (and to a small extent the Renegade) Jeep's product line is mournful. People are tired of dull, boring appliances in their grayscale colors. It's hard to even differentiate between interiors now unless there's an obvious badge showing.

I'll say one thing... after seeing a couple vids of teslas losing contol/ability to brake... it would be nice to have a physical disengagement/true neutral akin to having a clutch. I like being able to freewheel sometimes.

I LOVED my touareg. If you made something as awesome as the original TOuareg (before it turned into a minivan) Id be first in line

Last edited:
It’s interesting to see the word Aspire for a second time today. I sat in a design meeting this morning (for houses) and we discussed that much of what we design never gets used by the end user. It is a means to an end to satisfy the aspirations of Mr. And Mrs. Jones. Be it they Aspire to be better than the other Jones or just envision the family sitting on rocking chairs on the front porch even if 10-1/2 months a year its too hot or cold outside to actually enjoy.
My guess is less than 30% of buyers (Scout, Bronco and Jeep) ever take their rides beyond a gravel road. That said I’m willing to bet the majority of the other 70% ALL aspire to go rock crawling or take weekend “adventure” trips. I suspect I will never go much beyond the gravel road myself but the nostalgia of my teen years driving a Scout calls to me. 10 years ago I had a BMW convertible for the sake of open top driving. Sold it after a year and a half because I missed having an SUV and refused to by a Wrangler. The best of both worlds to me is an SUV with a removable top and for many that’s the appeal. I’m sure there are parents of young kids (I was one of them once) that just refuse to sell their souls and buy a minivan and maybe that is reason enough for them to buy a Scout. The younger generation wants EVERYTHING to be authentic or to tell a story and a good part of sales will come from them because they are driving an EV, and the nostalgic aspect adds one more chapter to their “story”
Dude, you're describing our Jeep! lol

We don't have the budget for a toy. It's just not there, but we can pay $50 more a month for the Rubicon sticker. And that gives us the confidence that it won't break when we do take it out.

We needed a vehicle that M-F can haul the kids, get the groceries, 20+ MPG... but then when we want to go to Atlanta, or cruise the dirt roads, in between, we can. With the top down. :D

And that's what I want with our new Scout, despite my aspirations(see what I did there? lol) to use either an old or new Traveler in my towing business I mean to start up.