So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Please Smaller rims! >18” rims have no place on a truck, ever…. 17” rims with 33-35’s would be awesome.
On that topic Id love it if the calipers were small enough to fit 16.5s as a lot of people run humvee tires on their rigs

Last edited:
Reactions: ColeAK
Well I’m a Jeeper too since we own a 18 JL. And it’s okay for what it is, but dang after 4 years of owning and driving one, I don’t get the following they have. I ordered a new Bronco, and we just attended the Bronco Off Roadeo at Gunstock resort in New Hampshire, and I can tell you 100% the Bronco is outstanding on road and on the trails. I have to say, I am super happy that the Jeep has such good resale value though, it will make the cost of ownership quite low when I trade it in when my Bronco gets here in a few weeks.

So seriously though, what's up with the Equus Scout?

I assume they were taken to task, but notice on the dash it still says e-Scout...

Attachments

• EQUUS-6-ACCESSWIRE.jpg
    EQUUS-6-ACCESSWIRE.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 17
Ford knocked the leather off the ball visually. I still haven't sat in a New Bronco, but everything I've seen looks great on the inside, although I'd like more physical switchwork & controls usable with gloves on.

Modern comfort is necessary these days... but a rugged throwback interior with things like physical vent levers near the footwell, manual seats, windows & locks, and panels you're not afraid to accidentally kick or risk breaking could start a trend to make interiors basic again, rather than the stark, empty, sterile wastelands the modern cockpit has become. It could really revolutionize how people see BEV's as a return to a personal vehicle as opposed to a numb rolling appliance with zero character.
The Bronco is awesome to drive, on road and on the trails. I did a short drive when Ford brought the Bronco event to Summit Point raceway in WV, and then the all day event at the Bronco Roadeo in New Hampshire. It’s quiet, drives smooth both on and off road, makes our Jeep seem like driving and old 70’s pickup truck in comparison lol. I ordered the Bronco back in Jan 2021, well before I had driven or seen one in person. Now that I’ve put some good time behind the wheel, it was the right decision. I hope the Scout reboot is just as successful. Ford really messed up the reservation system on the Bronco by factoring in dealer allocation. Let’s hope Scout, being brand new, does it right.

Do those two things - and obviously make the engine (or EV system), 4WD system, and interior fully modern and you will have an absolute winner. And real competition for the Bronco, which the Wranger and their ancient solid axle system is not.
I specifically want the ancient solid axle on my 4x4. More flex normally, more durable, simpler system if you need to fix something on a trail.

Well I’m a Jeeper too since we own a 18 JL. And it’s okay for what it is, but dang after 4 years of owning and driving one, I don’t get the following they have. I ordered a new Bronco, and we just attended the Bronco Off Roadeo at Gunstock resort in New Hampshire, and I can tell you 100% the Bronco is outstanding on road and on the trails. I have to say, I am super happy that the Jeep has such good resale value though, it will make the cost of ownership quite low when I trade it in when my Bronco gets here in a few weeks.
I understand we're all different, and I've only seen and sat in a 4 door(not sure the trim) with the Sas package. I concur with the cheap feeling of the interior, and that it feels huge compared to the Jeep. But the vast majority of owners aren't walking in off the street buying a Bronco. Biggest reason? They can't. There's STILL none just on the lot.

I'm going to stir up the pot a little, and say that I don't think the Scout needs to be overpowered... My 800 with 107/170 hp/tq does just fine with its gearing. While I'd like to pick up speed a little quicker than I do, anything over 60 mph starts to feel adventurous, depending on the road surface.

I see that part of Scout's Mission Statement is "To Show Our Land The Respect It Deserves"... That's hard to do when you've got 1000hp on tap to all 4 wheels of a heavy battery-laden vehicle. I Guaran-Goddamn-Tee you if Scout makes a vehicle possible to be extremely irresponsible in, there'll be one wrapped around a tree or stuck on the wrong side of a wash for the 'Gram or TikTok within hours of purchase... like the DB with the new Hummer who tanked it with the incorrect settings activated.

Give it power to spare, but also keep it in the realm of Quick and Powerful but Slow. If there's any off-road credibility, there's no reason for it to be able to drive even 90 mph.
There's the inherent problem with EVs. While electric motors give gobs of torque from 0 rpm, most don't have any gearing. So an EV with 800lb-ft and no gearing doesn't have much stump-pulling power compared to a ICE truck with 80lb-ft of torque at 1,200rpm and a 40:1 crawl ratio (basically 3,200lb-ft of torque). That's my understanding from what I've seen, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Bronco is awesome to drive, on road and on the trails. I did a short drive when Ford brought the Bronco event to Summit Point raceway in WV, and then the all day event at the Bronco Roadeo in New Hampshire. It’s quiet, drives smooth both on and off road, makes our Jeep seem like driving and old 70’s pickup truck in comparison lol. I ordered the Bronco back in Jan 2021, well before I had driven or seen one in person. Now that I’ve put some good time behind the wheel, it was the right decision. I hope the Scout reboot is just as successful. Ford really messed up the reservation system on the Bronco by factoring in dealer allocation. Let’s hope Scout, being brand new, does it right.
Sorry, but you make it sound like you're the exact kind of person that no matter what is going to dog on any negative criticism of Ford or the Bronco. Now no one is saying you can't be brand loyal, but of course you're going to nay-say the Jeep, you waited from Jan 2021 until... when? to get your Bronco.

The reservations you mentioned, but you didn't talk about the soft and hard top quality fiascos. Or the tie-rod weakness. Or the lack of competitive powertrains. OR the boring colors.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out your potential bias.

Reactions: SpaceCityScout
Ford knocked the leather off the ball visually. I still haven't sat in a New Bronco, but everything I've seen looks great on the inside, although I'd like more physical switchwork & controls usable with gloves on.

Modern comfort is necessary these days... but a rugged throwback interior with things like physical vent levers near the footwell, manual seats, windows & locks, and panels you're not afraid to accidentally kick or risk breaking could start a trend to make interiors basic again, rather than the stark, empty, sterile wastelands the modern cockpit has become. It could really revolutionize how people see BEV's as a return to a personal vehicle as opposed to a numb rolling appliance with zero character.
As an owner with 20K miles on mine, a few points to make.
There will be people who cheer it on and rave about it being perfect and there will be haters who deny it any positive points.
Most reasonable people fall in there between and look at it objectively.
I've owned and wheeled Wranglers, currently have a Badlands 4door Sasquatch with the 2.7 auto.
I've tested it harder than most, babied it more than several who push the limits far beyond my comfort zone on a $55K vehicle that is a daily also.
It has flawlessly performed on everything I've thrown at it.
It drives nice and smooth on the highway at 55 or 75.
It has tactile HVAC controls and the dial to convert to 4WD or the modes is also tactile. I like that a lot.
The interior of mine is the marine grade vinyl with washout rubber floor, and I've taken the garden hoe to it multiple times with no issue.
The top came off in May and stayed off until late Sept.
I am not a fan of the lag in the pedal (can be remedied with a pedal commander) despite the twin turbos.
Mileage is better than expected at an average of 19.6
The top is easy to maneuver and is loud, as expected.
I do not like how easily the interior plastics scratch.
I don't like that despite the tactile controls, the infotainment has so much power and influence on the systems. If it goes out, you have issues.
I am not a fan of the cheaper feel of the windows and the "drop" before you open the door is not always quick enough. So you have to train yourself to pull the handle, wait a sec before you pull open the door.
I am a fan of the soft top, it does a lot well. Easy, quick utilization.
But it is louder than it should be, and the hard top is just as loud. Price to pay for removable parts, I guess.

All in all it is quite capable. Very much considering the IFS. It is not and never will be as capable in big-time rock crawling or boulder-jumping as a solid axle Wrangler. But is is capable enough on most trails that most people would do. I am quite happy with it compared to the Wranglers I have owned in several areas. And I liked my Jeeps.
YMMV.

Really excited about what Scout is going to bring to the party.
I hope they are taking detailed notes on what Jeep, Ford, and Toyota do well at, and what is less-than-great about each one.
Find some compromise there without a lot of compromise, if that makes sense.

1st obstacle.jpeg

There's the inherent problem with EVs. While electric motors give gobs of torque from 0 rpm, most don't have any gearing. So an EV with 800lb-ft and no gearing doesn't have much stump-pulling power compared to a ICE truck with 80lb-ft of torque at 1,200rpm and a 40:1 crawl ratio (basically 3,200lb-ft of torque). That's my understanding from what I've seen, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
For pulling power not true. My model 3 will out stump pull a 1 ton diesel. I did a tug a war on ice (a frozen parking lot that is) a few years back with my model 3 vs my buddies ram 3500 Dually. Tesla won 4 pulls straight.

The problem you mention I see with EVs is limiting the torque. That is getting the on demand low enough for crawling off road and not braking traction.

I specifically want the ancient solid axle on my 4x4. More flex normally, more durable, simpler system if you need to fix something on a trail.
A 4 motor EV with no diffs is way more simple than solid axles. Hear you on flex, I’m disappointed that air suspension is becoming an expectation on trucks from the masses.

8 years in EVs and I can’t stress how mechanically simple these things are. No transmission, no (real) cooling system, zero maintenance motor(s),…

The Teslas make my (ultra reliable) Land Cruiser feel like I’m doing work on it all the time. That said I really like wrenching and even when I get an EV to replace my 200 I’ll keep it hopefully for my lifetime.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Its early, but would like to emphasize the fact that Scouts are removable hard top rugged SUV's. Rivian doesn't have the rough n tough style in the bag, looks more like a grocery getter. Ford Bronco actually did a great job with the relaunch! Having a strong aftermarket side to "customize" will also be of great interest. Needs to have a split tailgate design.

As you progress I'm sure there will be sub models and packages, wonder if you can tap into those historic package names/call outs.
This had been said by several others, but just to add even more emphasis, I 100% agree with you. A convertible is a must. Even a removable hard top back like the scout II.

The near vertical slant on windshields results in rock chips being much more common. Even Jeep sloped the windshields more on the JLs. I have a new Bronco, I was on my second windshield in less than three months and the new one was already chipped three weeks later. There are tons of other bronco owners who are on their second, third, or even fourth windshields. They don’t make a gorilla glass windshield for broncos yet, but Jeep owners will tell you that even the gorilla glass doesn’t help much. I don’t disagree, but if they go more vertical with the windshield angle, I’d suggest getting the lowest deductible you can on your comprehensive coverage.
Absolutely. I think the new Scout can pay a lot of homage to the originals but make functional tweaks like more more slanted windshield and still make a lot of people happy.

As an owner of an FJ Cruiser, I agree with the previous comment about the rear visibility in that back corner. Personally, the overall shape works for me, but I do not like the C-pillar to D-pillar area (or what appears to be one huge C-pillar. My preference would be a white/roof colored B-pillar behind the front door, a thinner D-pillar at the rear, also in white/roof color, and a longer glass expanse from the rear door to that D-pillar, hiding a thin C-pillar behind the glass at the rear of the back door. Keep a thin area of white/roof color under those rear windows, and I'd be good.

Personally, I have no use for a removable roof or doors, but I recognize a lot do. I suspect rollover crash worthiness with the ridiculous battery weight will prevent this being an option.

Beyond that, keep everything SIMPLE. Minimize electronics, no touchscreens, use simple large knobs to control HVAC, radio, etc. No power seats, etc. Keep costs down, keep it simple to work on/modify, and give me a spare tire carrier on the back. As a long-standing Rivian R1S order holder, I want simple, functional, reliable, not a friggin' cell phone on wheels like the Rivian turned out to be.

EDFRsNi.jpg
As an owner of an FJ Cruiser, I agree with the previous comment about the rear visibility in that back corner. Personally, the overall shape works for me, but I do not like the C-pillar to D-pillar area (or what appears to be one huge C-pillar. My preference would be a white/roof colored B-pillar behind the front door, a thinner D-pillar at the rear, also in white/roof color, and a longer glass expanse from the rear door to that D-pillar, hiding a thin C-pillar behind the glass at the rear of the back door. Keep a thin area of white/roof color under those rear windows, and I'd be good.

Personally, I have no use for a removable roof or doors, but I recognize a lot do. I suspect rollover crash worthiness with the ridiculous battery weight will prevent this being an option.

Beyond that, keep everything SIMPLE. Minimize electronics, no touchscreens, use simple large knobs to control HVAC, radio, etc. No power seats, etc. Keep costs down, keep it simple to work on/modify, and give me a spare tire carrier on the back. As a long-standing Rivian R1S order holder, I want simple, functional, reliable, not a friggin' cell phone on wheels like the Rivian turned out to be.

EDFRsNi.jpg

EDFRsNi.jpg
I agree the rear D pillar feels large and blind spot must be crazy. IdahoJOAT posted the Equus scout render and I think that rear side glass and D pillar would be a great solution. I think squaring the rear side glass as you show starts to look a bit generic like a Yukon or mid 80’s Bronco. I think the Equus opens up sight lines but maintains the upward hook that is so familiar with the Scouts at the D pillar area. I think the white roof is a must as you stated and almost think a fiberglass top with texture would be a great throwback. Anything but a hardtop like the new Bronco. Must be hundreds if not thousands of complaints on the Bronco6G forum

I think this is spot on.

The other things I think that need to be done and ID'd are:
  1. Who is this being marketed to? Jeepers? Broncos? Soccer moms? This is crucial, obviously, but I'll give examples anyway.
    1. The Avalanche is easily one of the most utilitarian vehicles ever produced. Those of us that have owned one, or even know someone who has, understand this. So why did it fail? It failed because it was marketed EXTREMELY poorly.
    2. Is the new Scout supposed to be a direct competitor to the Jeep Wrangler? Then it needs to compete in the rocks. It needs to be geared towards this appropriately.
    3. Is is the compete against the Bronco? Then it needs to... I don't even know what Ford is doing with it to be honest. It's selling because of blue-oval loyalty.
    4. The Chevrolet Blazer is another example of GM failing. They had a golden opportunity to compete against the Bronco and whoop Ford at it's own game, and they're stubbornly sticking to their modern run of the mill SUV. This is pissing off GM loyalists who desperately want to compete and can't. They loved their K5 blazers and can't partake in the retro revival.
  2. What makes a Scout a Scout? I know for me, with the two I owned, I had criteria that made me choose it over a Jeep:
    1. Removable hard top. There really is no other feeling. And now that we've had 3 Wranglers, the removable doors. This is purely why Ford markets the Bronco against the Wrangler, and come up short. They're trying to say, "Look at us competing against the Jeep! We had a removable top and doors too!" when they fail at the off-roading. They SHOULD be marketing against the 4-Runner with, "We do everything Toyota does, but better. AND our top and doors come off."
    2. Power. I wanted it. The 4.0L, while great, just didn't tickle my fancy. I wanted a V8. Scout had it.
    3. Toughness. I wanted something that could haul stuff too. It could tow a trailer. It was overbuilt on purpose.
I think if these points are hit on, the Scout will fly off the production line, showroom floor, and car lots.
Well said!

I haven't embraced the idea of transitioning to BEVs largely due to the lack of infrastructure, I'm excited about Scout Motors. Although I've never owned an IH vehicle, I've always admired the 1210 Travelette Crew Cab from the 1970s that I've seen for many years. It struck me as a simple yet functional vehicle effective with its intended purpose.

I'm driving a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 Crew Cab with the 5'9 bed. It is a dual-purpose vehicle functioning as a daily driver and a fully-equipped emergency response vehicle for fire department duties. The dimensions of the overall truck is terrific; however, I wouldn't mind a slightly longer bed, perhaps a 5'10 or 5'11. I would prefer to use a hard tonneau cover such as the Diamondback versus the shell I have now, but the shorter bed necessitated the use of a shell for storage needs.

If the Scout Pickup were to offer a bed between 5'10 and 6', that would be perfect. I echo the need for a base model without the frills and a fixed roof. I'm adding electronics such as a warning lights/siren control system and mobile radios; I don't need other electronics that may cause interference or overload the battery capacity. I encourage Scout Motors leadership to pursue relationships with Whelen Engineering, Motorola Solutions, Setina Mfg, and other similar companies to develop integration solutions for use in the critical service provider arena. Other than the dubious Lordstown Motors, there isn't a BEV provider working to serve this type of service provider.

Thank you for your consideration. Best wishes with this endeavor!

Sorry, but you make it sound like you're the exact kind of person that no matter what is going to dog on any negative criticism of Ford or the Bronco. Now no one is saying you can't be brand loyal, but of course you're going to nay-say the Jeep, you waited from Jan 2021 until... when? to get your Bronco.

The reservations you mentioned, but you didn't talk about the soft and hard top quality fiascos. Or the tie-rod weakness. Or the lack of competitive powertrains. OR the boring colors.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out your potential bias.
I know I’m not the one you were responding to, but I’m very happy with my bronco. It’s certainly not like there’s nothing to criticize. I’m not brand loyal at all, and I’ve never been a Ford guy even though I currently have the bronco and an old 7.3 powerstroke. Both of my work trucks are Chevys and my wife drives a Jeep. Ford interiors have always felt cheap to me compared to GM and Chrysler. That’s my biggest complaint.

Yeah, it was a painful wait to get it, I reserved on day 1 and still got bumped to a 22 because I wanted the hard top even with all the squeaks, rattles, and wind noise. The people having tie rod issues are mostly guys up on 37s or 40s. I’m still on 35s (not the Goodyears it came with), but there are several cheap solutions to strengthen them. I put on some reinforcement sleeves that cost $50. I haven’t broken one yet, and I haven’t gone easy on it, but I still carry an extra tie rod. I learned that it’s the same tie rod they use on the rangers, and you can get aftermarket ranger tie rods for $21 on Amazon. I agree about the powertrain options. I would have preferred a naturally aspirated v8, but the 2.7 has plenty of power. I also agree that all the different “shades of grey” are pretty boring, but I have had more compliments than I can count on the eruption green color, and I really like the hot pepper red and velocity blue colors too. Not a fan of the yellow, but I wouldn’t say all the colors are boring.

You could say I’m biased too, but I will say that a couple of my buddies who are die hard jeep guys have been nothing but impressed with it. It’s competitive in the rocks even with the independent front suspension, much more stable and comfortable at higher speeds on trails and in sand (haven’t had it in the snow yet), but it’s night and day on the highway compared to wranglers. There’s a great OHV park near me that I’ve taken it to several times, and I’ve had a bunch of guys stop me to ask about it, and comment on how effortlessly it took on some of the obstacles. Even the people who don’t want to like it are impressed by it.

I do think ford had some great ideas for the bronco, but it IS still a ford, and you can tell. If the scout turns out to be basically an electric bronco, they could do a lot worse.