So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Just my personal opinion, but I hope it is NOT Tahoe'esq. Had a Tahoe - I guess it was a practical SUV, but not really great at anything. As a daily driver, we replaced it with a minivan. As an offroad vehicle, well we could have replaced it with just about anything, but ended up with a JLUR (then a JLURD).

The minivan was simply better in most every way day to day. From capacity, to mileage, to road manners. Maybe the Tahoe was better in wet grass... Oh, and the minivan had a better turning radius. Now the JLURD is fine for the limited offroading we do, Honestly drives as good on road as the Tahoe - better mileage, better turning radius... We never tried a multi day vacation drive with the Tahoe, but have done many with both the minivan and the JLURD...

At this point in my life, I just don't see the desire for a Tahoe sized vehicle. Not saying I would not still kind of like a diesel Excursion - but it is OLD tech, and honestly while I do plenty of long drives with my diesel F250-the Excursion just would not add that much function for the cost. (I ran the numbers when I got the F250 - the new F250 was not much more expensive than a 10 year old diesel Excursion after the engine was bulletproofed. Luckily I went with the F250, as I do much more heavy towing now - something the Excursion could never have done (hard to put a 5th wheel or gooseneck on one).

Likewise, I hope it is not Patriot sized either. But honestly, I could swallow that easier (if it was done with offroad in mind) - but honestly the chances of that are too close to -0- to consider. That said, sleepability is an issue with me - and I just don't see that happening with a Patriot sized vehicle. I know sleeping in a vehicle is not what most people do - but it is very convenient to nap for a couple hours when doing a 24 hours trip (and those have been my most common road trips over the last 2 years). Being able to nap in AC - kind of the one thing an EV does better than virtually any gas vehicle.

So I think (like you) we all want our cake and to eat it too. The only Tahoe reference that has been made, has been made in reference to dimensions / footprint for the SUV I believe, and I don't think any off-road capable vehicle desires to emulate the Tahoe (to your point). In terms of old tech, and since we are talking about an EV that will naturally have lots of space and storage and a low center of gravity, that should not be a concern. This new Scout will be built from the ground up, have a low center of gravity, and should afford sleeping room inside. I'm primarily interested in the pick-up for the full sized bed. I have Zero complaints about my R1T other than the occasional complaint about bed length. it will be interesting for me to see the size of the pick-up when released, as compared to the R1T. I came out of a 2500, and have no desire to go back to a truck of that size, so again, striking that balance in the middle is something I am looking for also. The R1T is very close to perfect in size for my needs and does have incredible storage. I expect we will see the same or better with a big, boxy Scout EV!

I haven't seen this video before:

Watched this while I ate my lunch. I get SM doesn’t want to go retro and I respect that. I will say, however that Wrangler is an iconic vehicle and I believe the Bronco will once again become an iconic vehicle. I just hope Mr Benjamin and the design team finds the correct “iconic” design or I fear the fan base for these vehicles will not take hold. With some variation of iconic/retro you have a shot at leading the non-drinking EV’ers to water but if it doesn’t feel iconic and has a giant battery it may be an uphill challenge from the start.
It just has to feel right. I said to @RebelliousPeasant the other day I love the Hyundai Ioniq 5. It’s new and modern yet has a lot of 80’s hatchback cues which feels “retro” without being retro-if that makes any sense. I’m hoping this is what the design team is trying to accomplish.
Maybe familiarity is the correct term I’m looking for.

Watched this while I ate my lunch. I get SM doesn’t want to go retro and I respect that. I will say, however that Wrangler is an iconic vehicle and I believe the Bronco will once again become an iconic vehicle. I just hope Mr Benjamin and the design team finds the correct “iconic” design or I fear the fan base for these vehicles will not take hold. With some variation of iconic/retro you have a shot at leading the non-drinking EV’ers to water but if it doesn’t feel iconic and has a giant battery it may be an uphill challenge from the start.
It just has to feel right. I said to @RebelliousPeasant the other day I love the Hyundai Ioniq 5. It’s new and modern yet has a lot of 80’s hatchback cues which feels “retro” without being retro-if that makes any sense. I’m hoping this is what the design team is trying to accomplish.
Maybe familiarity is the correct term I’m looking for.
I also just watched that video today and was impressed by how clearly the vision SM seems to have about these vehicles. I think they're headed in the right direction and I think they'll do a good job. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reveal at the end of October!

Reactions: J Alynn
I also just watched that video today and was impressed by how clearly the vision SM seems to have about these vehicles. I think they're headed in the right direction and I think they'll do a good job. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reveal at the end of October
Has an October reveal been confirmed?!

Has an October reveal been confirmed?!
To my knowledge the reveal is slated for fall but a set date hasn’t been confirmed as of yet. That said I would think the date would be announced soon as we are quickly approaching mid summer. Hoping Jamie can respond to this and maybe give a better timeframe for the reveal date.

I thought somewhere they said Q3 2024 was going to be the reveal time frame

Though less than 5 months could still have October

I'm guessing a September reveal giving that early August is Harvester Homecoming and Jamie said the prototype wouldn't make it there this year. Though an October 21st reveal would be a statement in itself

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
As I sit here in Charleston under curfew due to Hurricane Debby and her historic flooding I am thinking of a few things regarding Scout design. I know it is locked in at this point but I’ll bring it up for the sake of conversation.

For my own specific use case I hope for excellent waterproofing. In the past Ive had some WK2 generation grand Cherokees and they had triple sealed doors and really good fording depths. I do not and do not recommend driving through flood water. But, it floods here often enough that it plays into my vehicle choice.

Ground clearance of around 9” for the base vehicles with options for higher (hopefully through air suspension).

A wet traction focused AWD or full time 4x4 setting for wet roads with ponding water. Along with the drive system an option for an an aggressive all season tire with wet traction focus.

I know this will draw some boos, but a true hard top. I’m not even sure I care if it is removable. Again for my specific region it is either super hot or cold and raining. It is in my opinion only comfortable for top down driving here a few weeks per year. A heavy duty glass roof or sliding metal roof would be plenty good for me. It also cuts down on leaks. I own a TJ with a soft top and never pull the top back. Weather is just not conducive.

Super duper wipers. Units that can handle torrential rain. Pay attention to how the water flows down the side windows and down the back window at speed as to not cause blind spots.

Plenty of frame and skid plate drains as to not hold water.

If it does have air suspension, the ability to leave it parked in the highest setting.

Probably more to come as I’m stuck in the house for another day! ☔

I haven't seen this video before:

Just watched this again, one thing Chris mentioned about the design will be limited on overhang on the front and a larger overhang in the rear. Also, seems that those who are familiar with the Scouts, will have reminisces of a vintage Scout with the future Scout and those who are not will feel like something new.

I know this will draw some boos, but a true hard top. I’m not even sure I care if it is removable. Again for my specific region it is either super hot or cold and raining. It is in my opinion only comfortable for top down driving here a few weeks per year. A heavy duty glass roof or sliding metal roof would be plenty good for me. It also cuts down on leaks. I own a TJ with a soft top and never pull the top back. Weather is just not conducive.

Super duper wipers. Units that can handle torrential rain. Pay attention to how the water flows down the side windows and down the back window at speed as to not cause blind spots.
I'm not really interested in a removable top. Mmm...for me the only possible benefit I see is perhaps being able to convert the SUV to "pickup truck" mode (either with the top off or replaced by a "cab top"), assuming the back can be cleared out enough to act like a bed. Frankly, I wouldn't do that very often if at all. Instead I'll just have the occasional load of gravel/whatever delivered instead of messing around with a top. Also, I think that it will result in a more expensive and noisier vehicle, which is something that will affect everyone.

Once you remove the hardtop, you won't want to drive on the highway for any length of time, which limits its utility. If you have a cabin in the woods or have a campsite that you're staying at for a few days, I could see taking the top off once you get there then driving around the wilds. That would be lovely.

I absolutely agree on the wipers. All of the cars I've had needed better wipers in a downpour. I'm not sure how to do it. I imagine there's a limit on how fast they want to fling those things around....

Something else for design that I haven’t seen but noticed this morning while sitting behind the semi-small Jeep-can’t remember which model. Keep the antenna as a shark fin or wired in the windshield. That Jeep had the 6” high thick rubber title and it sat too high. Couldn’t strap 2x’s or a sheet of plywood or even Kayaks because you’d destroy the antenna. I think a shark fin would be more than fine. Just something I hadn’t ever thought about until sitting at the red light this morning

I'm not really interested in a removable top. Mmm...for me the only possible benefit I see is perhaps being able to convert the SUV to "pickup truck" mode (either with the top off or replaced by a "cab top"), assuming the back can be cleared out enough to act like a bed. Frankly, I wouldn't do that very often if at all. Instead I'll just have the occasional load of gravel/whatever delivered instead of messing around with a top. Also, I think that it will result in a more expensive and noisier vehicle, which is something that will affect everyone.

Once you remove the hardtop, you won't want to drive on the highway for any length of time, which limits its utility. If you have a cabin in the woods or have a campsite that you're staying at for a few days, I could see taking the top off once you get there then driving around the wilds. That would be lovely.

I absolutely agree on the wipers. All of the cars I've had needed better wipers in a downpour. I'm not sure how to do it. I imagine there's a limit on how fast they want to fling those things around....
Yeah, the only EV I can think of with a "removable top" is the Hummer EV. I want to see some crash/rollover tests with that, because I'm surprised that having no roof (even if it's not that structural) is safe with a ~1.5 ton battery in the floor. I mean, I guess EVs don't frequently roll over, but still...

Also, as an EV, the NVH would be horrible with a removable roof, since you can now hear every noise the vehicle makes. This is probably one of my biggest gripes with the Rivians I've driven. Also, I've never driven one, but for the people who own Broncos as regular commuter vehicles (this is pretty common), I hear that the creaks/wind noise is quite annoying, even with the engine.

Not to mention, the range decrease with the top down would probably be atrocious...

Yeah, the only EV I can think of with a "removable top" is the Hummer EV. I want to see some crash/rollover tests with that, because I'm surprised that having no roof (even if it's not that structural) is safe with a ~1.5 ton battery in the floor. I mean, I guess EVs don't frequently roll over, but still...

Also, as an EV, the NVH would be horrible with a removable roof, since you can now hear every noise the vehicle makes. This is probably one of my biggest gripes with the Rivians I've driven. Also, I've never driven one, but for the people who own Broncos as regular commuter vehicles (this is pretty common), I hear that the creaks/wind noise is quite annoying, even with the engine.

Not to mention, the range decrease with the top down would probably be atrocious...
Had a Bronco, sold the Bronco after 18 months. Noises were an issue but it was quality issues. An operable roof will always make more noise but that’s the point-it’s a lifestyle vehicle. I’d much rather have two (front and rear passenger) targa panels to give the open effect. The Bronco soft top was already showing wear failure-one of the 6 reasons we dumped it. I’m now gun shy of a soft top and hardtop is a hassle unless it’s a third fun vehicle, is garage kept and you can leave top off from May-October. All that said I still thoroughly believe the roof needs to open in some sort of way. If not-then what’s the point. It’s no longer a lifestyle vehicle but just an over-built daily driver like all other SUVs. Sure it’s off road capable to satisfy the 6% of buyers who will accept an EV off-roader brand new at a cost of $60K-ish plus custom mods so a $70K fun vehicle to take out and destroy? I’m still very anxious but the Scout history-even the videos SM has released is Scouts in their element-NATURE and many with tops down or fully open. I loved my Scout as a new 16 year old driver back in ‘89 and all I did was begged my dad to let me take the top off. At that point there were rusted holes through the bottom and hell -if I could look down and see the road, surely I should have been able to look up and see the sky.
There aren’t a lot of “reasonably priced EV SUV’s but if it doesn’t stand out the struggle will be real to bring buyers onboard to essentially a new company brand. The big manufacturers are already building hybrid SUVs and some EV’s too. What would be the incentive for non-Scout lovers to gamble on new when there are already 25-30 SUV’s (ICE/hybrid/EV) already in the market.
Under VWAG I can think of at least 12 SUV’s in the U.S. already ranging in price from $38-120K.
Again
Doesn’t need to be a fully open top but give us a simple way. Maybe it’s dual operating sun roofs. Maybe they are targa panels or a skyroof like the Jeep Cherokee.

Totally agree with somehow having an open-air feeling. Just also saying that I understand the perspective that it might not quite be a Wrangler/Bronco either, as I think a new OEM would have to appeal to far more people than just the Wrangler/Bronco demographic. I bet most people want some sort of open-air feeling without the noise/unrefined feeling that comes with a totally removable top. But I'm excited to see what they do!

Reactions: Garbone and J Alynn
At this point in development, the decision on a removable top has already been made if they’re going to reveal it this year but I will always believe that if the top doesn’t come off, it won’t be a Scout. It might be a perfectly acceptable SUV, like dozens of other vehicles already on the market, but it won’t be a real Scout.