So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I wouldn't assume they would be the same. The pickup truck requirements may be different than the SUV. But like I mentioned before, dimensions aren't finalized.

So let's ask this question: what does everyone think the SUV should compete with from a size standpoint? And second question, what vehicles should the Scout pickup truck compete with?
SUV should be size of current Bronco or even just a touch longer in length but no longer than about 17’. Give room for a larger, future traveler and maybe a two door some day when batteries cooperate for range vs storage space. Maybe with the frunk and no ICE the green hose could be pushed a hair front to give some added length behind second row.

I wouldn't assume they would be the same. The pickup truck requirements may be different than the SUV. But like I mentioned before, dimensions aren't finalized.

So let's ask this question: what does everyone think the SUV should compete with from a size standpoint? And second question, what vehicles should the Scout pickup truck compete with?
4Runner- big enough for a few adults in the back, but small enough to fit the trails and parking lots with ease.

SUV 4 door to be simular to new Bronco 4 door size, which shows to have a 116" wheel base, so I say add a couple inches to tie in a little history with the old Terra and Traveler at 118".

SUV 2 door (I know battery space has been mentioned as a concern) could stick with the orignal Scout II 100" wheel base, and with some creative engineering potentially have the option to match up to the original Scout II bolt patterns. This was mentioned by @Eswanson previously, and I thought it was a great idea - https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/a-man-has-to-ask.56/ This would not be a mod for everyone, but some would have fun with it.

Pickup size is tough, because I am a full size truck guy (Chevy Silverado crewcab). I believe I have heard the goal was to be something simular to the Ford Maverick in size. I personally would be out on that, but I'm sure there is a need for it in the market. Towing is important to me, and I'm just not sure the EV world has the ability meet those demands just yet. I've watched a few YouTubes on the Rivian towing and it did great with preformance and handling, but the lack of range unfortunaley showed his ugly head.

SUV should compete against the Wrangler, Bronco, 4-Runner.

Truck should compete against the Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado.

Ideally it'd be nice to see a Traveler/Terra that competes against the full-size market like the Tahoe/Excursion and F150/Silverado.

Saw this posted under EV specific and thought it was probably better served in this thread
No piano black please
!: I know piano black looks nice and shiny in marketing photos but they are fingerprint and dirt magnets and look terrible in a very short amount of time. Additionally if the scout is supposed to be a rugged vehicle it will get beat around a little and therefore the piano black surfaces will get scratched very easy and look ugly. Please use matte finishes that will withstand some living.
-I agree completely with this. I think any dash trim should be real, natural/solid materials. Maybe recycled aluminum or some kind of mini-diamond plate. I like the matte wood finish in the new keep grange Cherokee or something like the natural woods in Audi vehicles. PLEASE no bamboo- I don’t like the look and people will say it’s environmental but they don’t realize the chemicals required to make bamboo products.
I’d also recommend a top dash material that allows for easy cleaning of dirt and dust but maybe different from the main street textured vinyl everyone uses. Something textured enough to really reduce sun glare reflection but quick to wipe up

Saw this posted under EV specific and thought it was probably better served in this thread
No piano black please
!: I know piano black looks nice and shiny in marketing photos but they are fingerprint and dirt magnets and look terrible in a very short amount of time. Additionally if the scout is supposed to be a rugged vehicle it will get beat around a little and therefore the piano black surfaces will get scratched very easy and look ugly. Please use matte finishes that will withstand some living.
-I agree completely with this. I think any dash trim should be real, natural/solid materials. Maybe recycled aluminum or some kind of mini-diamond plate. I like the matte wood finish in the new keep grange Cherokee or something like the natural woods in Audi vehicles. PLEASE no bamboo- I don’t like the look and people will say it’s environmental but they don’t realize the chemicals required to make bamboo products.
I’d also recommend a top dash material that allows for easy cleaning of dirt and dust but maybe different from the main street textured vinyl everyone uses. Something textured enough to really reduce sun glare reflection but quick to wipe up
Auto correct is killing me when I post. Was Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reactions: Rustic_father
Scout III SUV should compete with Wrangler, Bronco.

Scout Traveler truck should compete with Rivian, Ranger, Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma size-wise.

Scout Travelall should compete with Grand Cherokee, Rivian R1S, Defender.

Personally I would love the Scout to be a great "family" adventure vehicle. There would need to be balances between everything but my idea would be that On the smaller side of a full SUV. I'm not suggesting a small cross over but it definitely doesn't need to be ford excursion sized.

The models that I think that the Scout SUV will likely compete with would be the Ford bronco(full sized not baby bronco), VW Atlas/Tiguan, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Understanding that room is needed for the battery pack, I would love to see this lineup:

118" wheelbase SUV - 2 door Traveler & 4 door TravelAll
135" +/- wheelbase pickup - 2 door (cab-&-a-half?) Terra & 4 door Travelette
- all with decent towing capacity, which many comparable vehicles do not offer

As mentioned elsewhere, improved battery tech might allow a shorter wheelbase model in the future. The battery accommodation may be a blessing, as it will allow a more mid-size vehicle, possibly allowing more capacity/ cabin space than a Bronco/ Maverick size package, but still be smaller than the full size vehicles. I feel like Mopar, for one, is missing the mark in looking to offer a smaller unit-body "truck".

Btw, is there really so little demand for a single-cab shortbed pickup? I find it an ideal configuration, but almost impossible to find without buying a 20-30 year old vehicle....

Thanks-
Randy

Took a pencil and started drawing. Very similar to yours but I went with a "IH" Honeycomb style grill. I liked how you incorporated "IH" in the headlamp and thought this could serve as the DRL. I did a more rounded DRL. Will continue to fine tune.
Not bad at all. I like keeping the Honeycomb style for the lights. 1672777641213.png

Reactions: OffRoadLucy
A 7” Round, classic looking light like the LED Holley Retrobright would be great! 3000k, not super bright white/blue. My opinion of course!

Nice start. A three door pickup with suicide 1/2 door(s) would be nice. If you're making a pickup, the natural transition is a Traveler style 4 door, right?

Anyone looking for a full size pickup probably isn't going to be considering a Scout, Rivian or Honda Ridgeline so the bed doesn't have to be 6'.

Reactions: J Alynn
Equus drew inspiration from the Scout. 2-dr SWB

M_Final-2022M_Jpeg8.jpg
Equus calls this vehicle "Scout". Is that a Trademark infringement? It looks as if a Scout and a 4th generation Bronco mated and had a child.... That's cool.

Last edited:
My dad was a lead engineer on the Scout and Travelall and worked for IH Engineering for 44 years. He made sure we always had one in the garage. I’ll be one of the first in line to order one both to remember him, his passion for the product, and the simple family “togetherness” that happened whenever we hopped in.

I’m not qualified to offer technical guidance, but thought an interesting idea might be to pick up a bit where the company left off. Any chance of picking up some design cues from the composite body prototype?

The near vertical slant on windshields results in rock chips being much more common. Even Jeep sloped the windshields more on the JLs. I have a new Bronco, I was on my second windshield in less than three months and the new one was already chipped three weeks later. There are tons of other bronco owners who are on their second, third, or even fourth windshields. They don’t make a gorilla glass windshield for broncos yet, but Jeep owners will tell you that even the gorilla glass doesn’t help much. I don’t disagree, but if they go more vertical with the windshield angle, I’d suggest getting the lowest deductible you can on your comprehensive coverage.
Best way to prevent chipped windshields is just to increase the distance from the car in front of you.

• Love
Reactions: IdahoJOAT
While I'm excited for the new Scout & understand that an initial offering NEEDS to cast a huge net to generate interest in their brand, I don't see a whole lot of what IHC initially offered in the Scout 80. Here's what I'd like for my first new Scout.

Small and utilitarian... a two-door option with bare floors & drain holes.
Manual accessory options (windows, locks, actual buttons on the dash rather than only touchscreen interface)
Off-road capability & workhorse mentality-make it tough.

Give us a small, simple option for those of us with nothing to compensate for & just want a modern 800 Variant.

We're starting to save our pennies with our sights on 2027 for a new Scout... We've never bought a car brand new & drive what we have into the ground. A 4 door will suit us fine, but for a personal Daily Driver I'd prefer a 100" wheelbase & smaller footprint.

I also hope Scout is able to keep the weight down... my 800 is a featherweight compared to today's monoliths.
Well said! My dad owned 3 Scouts. He loved them because they were simple, plain, barebones workhorses. Not to mention affordable (unlike the new Bronco). Scouts were easy to work on and repair. Not common with today's vehicles.
It would be lovely if the new Scout offered a barebones version which could launch pad the 'affordable' EV market. Imagine all the local aftermarket customization shops that could help blossom a thriving community.