Scout Design Ideas

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I was thinking about this yesterday as a new model Mustang convertible rolled by: Why doesn’t a Mustang, or literally any other convertible, require the same rollover concerns? The novelty of topless has worn off for me already after just about 3 years of Bronco ownership, so I don’t really care if the Scout is topless or not, but I am curious about the distinction between topless off roaders and convertible sports cars.
When I had my BMW I was told it had pop up roll brackets and if car sensors determined a certain angle off road surface (as in tipping) it would deploy the brackets from behind seat area. Still question whether that was true

Reactions: J. Sweat
Some thoughts on interior and materials:

1) mycelium…..and the surrogate to leather textiles is coming down in cost AND we have a manufacturer IN South Carolina https://www.innovationintextiles.com/fibres-yarns-fabrics/

In no way is it “pleather”, and it is actually a Hyde-like material with excellent uniformity. No auto manufacturers use it to my knowledge.
YET.

2) Another option is rugged denim fabric as well (tan in particular, but really any color that won’t turn a white T-shirt the same color as the new seats.

3) Washable floors, or perhaps any newer truck bed lining that also acts as a sound deadener, AND rust proofing, plus has drain points that can be used without tools to remove or install, yet stay in place.

4) the steering wheel will have to be thick to make the scout feel strong, or it will absolutely feel like driving a school bus. This can also be another area for mycelium leather. People will drive a Scout in cold weather, so of any creature comforts…a heated steering wheel is certainly more critical than heated seats.

5) the sound in the interior…..separate and distinct from the audio system (which I feel should be of marine quality waterproof speakers) will be quiet besides road noise.

Have a microphone on the the gears, or the motors to give auditory feedback.

Otherwise there will be no palpable heartbeat, or “soul to the machine”.

It shouldn’t be loud, but the fact the Mustang Mach -E has external waterproof speakers that mimic a power plant (not just ICE) means it’s something people want.

If the microphoned gear noise from the drivetrain/transmission (that would be the NEW sound of acceleration or deceleration) is not pleasant it can be tweaked if needed but should not be artificial, and could be as unique to the brand as perhaps a Harley Davidson V twin engine…..

Finally there is a “Soul to the Machine”.

Externally some suggestions:

1) if it’s off road capable, mirrors are less important, as cameras are inexpensive and small, along with even waterproof screens for viewing what the camera puts out (mounted on a small stalk, and the screen mounted in the cabin.

2) mount the spare (please God be a spare that is a direct replacement) as low as engineering can allow to still afford ground clearance, and keep the center of gravity optimal. Keep rollovers minimal.

3) please no cloth tops, as a well engineered multiple panel roof can go on and off quickly.

4) top roof can be solar paneled like Fiskar, yet still be light and strong like the composites used on lightweight auto lexan, but this is only an option on the roof with solar panels on top, as it would otherwise not be as clear after a number of car washes (that cause swirl marks) unless covered in paint protection film. The issue is solved if it’s solar panels anyway.

Some thoughts on power:

If it isn’t outperforming a Wrangler 4Xe 0-60, unfortunately Scout can NOT emote the feeling necessary for me to buy one.

However, if it is faster to 60 than most ICE cars today….say sub 4.5 seconds TODAY in 2024 (it may need sub 4 in 2026), I will find a way to own one.

Some thoughts on pricing and financing:

1) sell directly to the customer, Jeep Wrangler has been gouging $5k-$10k from their customers through stealer-ships for years, and direct sales would cut down on predatory dealers.

2) Give a discount….something simple on the folks most inclined to buy one, around $500-$1000 for Veterans, active duty, healthcare, law enforcement (this could even be a squad vehicle at some point), firefighters, nurses, …….FARMERS (unsure how to help small farms, and not just agribusiness) and others.

3) Financing……people that work hard generally speaking have money in this country. They will want a hard working Scout to help them work hard.
That stated, well qualified buyers with strong credit should be offered better rates than credit unions through Scout financing. While financing is always based off Prime, it could be win/win for Scout to get buyers that would otherwise go with a credit union by marginally beating the best credit unions rates.

Aftermarket:
This is what really can get a human to love a machine, when they help create it, to tastefully make it theirs.

Encourage off road aftermarket company communication, and collaboration…..but only if it makes the Scout stronger, or last longer….or potentially become more efficient.

I am of the thought that efficiency doesn’t exclude power, so let’s do both.

Scout ideals are that it will be a “worker” of a vehicle, but it can NOT do that on an impotent 300HP/TQ when most EV’s by then will easily have 500. So shoot for that, and beyond.

I hope these items many people say:

“Holy shit, what has no one thought of that before….but in a lot of ways they have, just in underwhelming platforms.

I was thinking about this yesterday as a new model Mustang convertible rolled by: Why doesn’t a Mustang, or literally any other convertible, require the same rollover concerns? The novelty of topless has worn off for me already after just about 3 years of Bronco ownership, so I don’t really care if the Scout is topless or not, but I am curious about the distinction between topless off roaders and convertible sports cars.
I believe its because an off-road truck, even driving on road has a better chance of roll overs than a car.

It gets a bit trickier still, with most EV’s weight is at the floor, if it does roll over, unlike the ICE convertible that has a heavy engine up front, that heavy weight would assist in crush injuries.

Many convertible cars are light enough that the windshield reinforcement keeps it from going completely pancaked.