Scout and Audi share platform?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

LastDayScout

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 16, 2022
Just read this article that Scout and Audi are going to share a platform do that Audi can compete with Range Rover and MB G Wagen. Jamie and Chris what are you hearing?
Ha, I just saw this for the first time myself 2 minutes ago when flipping through tik tok drinking my morning coffee. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRsSjVsg/
Hopefully that doesn't mean Audi prices 😬

Reactions: LastDayScout
There is nothing official at this point. Obviously, Volkswagen Group shares component platforms among its brands (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, etc., etc.) all the time, so anything is possible.

Reactions: Rustic_father
Speculating here based on the article. Land Rover and G Wagen size would be fine with me. It’s also nice to think that the platform is refined yet rugged enough for Audi to use as a competitor to the above brands. That all bodes well for the Scout having an excellent drivetrain/platform.

This is all very interesting as Scout has noted this will be an all new platform built in USA. Be curious as this info grows or gets clarified. Certainly would help with costs so long as the product as a rugged off road vehicle doesn’t suffer or dilute until all is said and done

Realistically It would make sense for the Scout to compete with Land rover and the Mercedes G-wagon on capabilities....they would likely operate in the same space of "Rugged SUV"....but I hope the scout and Land rover/G wagon will be polar opposites when it comes to luxury options/components and price....which is where Audi likely comes in. This I think is a really good thing, I don't know how VW group works with sharing it's components/technology but if the Scout is has an Audi variant it will increase the number of likely buyers which will increase the likeliness of success and also increase the availability of parts.

in addition to this i think this might suggest the availibility of the scout being serviced at VW group service centers.

Reactions: LastDayScout
I’m a fan of Audi and have owned one. Was underwhelmed based on what I hoped for. That said, quality was great, everything was top notch, it just lacked the soul I had hoped for. That said, my hang up is the Scout was announced as and is even defined by this forum’s FAQ as a “from the ground up” new BEV, assembled in America with a new, dedicated platform. I’ll go so far as to say my heritage is like 80% German but again, I don’t want a rebadged Audi. If the parent/child relationship exists as internal components, battery technology, etc… and that allows shared technology at a better price point than I’m open to that approach. However, if bin part sharing for ANY of the finishes and touch points isn’t original to the Scout then what’s the point-might as well buy an Audi SUV or another Bronco. There is an inherent difference between vehicles built in Europe and the US, not to mention Japanese vehicles. The Scout MUST feel, look and behave like an American vehicle. Audi’s quality is some of the best and that would certainly benefit Scout as a “start-up” but I truly hope it doesn’t define the new Scout. Any chance Jamie or Chris @scoutmotors can shed any light on this news?

Realistically It would make sense for the Scout to compete with Land rover and the Mercedes G-wagon on capabilities....they would likely operate in the same space of "Rugged SUV"....but I hope the scout and Land rover/G wagon will be polar opposites when it comes to luxury options/components and price....which is where Audi likely comes in. This I think is a really good thing, I don't know how VW group works with sharing it's components/technology but if the Scout is has an Audi variant it will increase the number of likely buyers which will increase the likeliness of success and also increase the availability of parts.

in addition to this i think this might suggest the availibility of the scout being serviced at VW group service centers.

I can say with 100% confidence that platform sharing, if it were to happen in this case, would mean that Audi's vehicle (just an example) would look nothing like a Scout. The Volkswagen Golf shares the same platform as the Volkswagen Atlas. The component platform has flexibility in size, meaning the body can be anything Audi or any other brand wants to design. So if a brand wants a rugged platform vehicle or a pickup truck, there is flexibility for them to build something entirely to their specs and price point, separate entirely from what Scout is building other than sharing some things under the skin (batteries, suspension, HVAC systems, UX systems, wiring harnesses, electric motors, etc., etc.,). It's all just economies of scale but done in a way you can't tell from the outside.

I can say with 100% confidence that platform sharing, if it were to happen in this case, would mean that Audi's vehicle (just an example) would look nothing like a Scout. The Volkswagen Golf shares the same platform as the Volkswagen Atlas. The component platform has flexibility in size, meaning the body can be anything Audi or any other brand wants to design. So if a brand wants a rugged platform vehicle or a pickup truck, there is flexibility for them to build something entirely to their specs and price point, separate entirely from what Scout is building other than sharing some things under the skin (batteries, suspension, HVAC systems, UX systems, wiring harnesses, electric motors, etc., etc.,). It's all just economies of scale but done in a way you can't tell from the outside.
So I’m not hearing you deny the news article 😀😀😀😀

Reactions: Rustic_father
I think the type of platform sharing that is being implied especially with the teaser photo in the article is more along the lines of the VW Tiguan and the Audi Q4 which is really just a rebranding....other examples across VW group are VW Tiguan / Seat Tarraco / Audi Q4 . Porsche Taycan / Audi E-tron GT. VW ID4 / Audi Q4 Etron....basically it is common to see the same vehicle just re-branded across VW group.

The thing that i'm curious about is how VW group operates. especially when the emphasis is that Scout will be it's own brand. Not only will it be starting from the ground up and will not be utilizing the MEB platform. From all of this Scout USA will have to hire it's own talent and design and build from the ground up. So if Audi is going to sell a "luxary Scout" does Audi have to pay scout for the leg work or is it a free share with the intent that information/design/work will be shared in kind? Is that the price of being apart of VW group giving up any design revalations in exchange to access to other libraries of designs/logistic networks?

this isn't a accusational "is THIIIIIS the price"...but rather a curiosity of how the partnership operates.

Since there is nothing official in terms of sharing anything with other potential products, it would be hard to speculate what could or may happen in the future. I used the Golf/Jetta/Tiguan/Atlas an an example of sharing the same MQB components, but obviously being very different packages. Those models are also in the same VW brand and would share more items (switches, HVAC controls, touch screens, etc., etc.) than if they were in different brands.

If a set of components can be shared in part with other brands, then yes there are shared development costs. Could other brands look at what Scout is doing here and see some potential to dip into the parts bin or build something on the same platform of parts? That's the business advantage of a large company like Volkswagen Group. But Scout is a clean sheet of paper with completely different goals than the other group companies (other than selling vehicles!). Plus nothing else would look like a Scout. Audi, for example has a very different design language.

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn
Yes, I'm saying there is nothing official regarding platform sharing mentioned in the article. :D

I was just pointing out what platform sharing means when it comes to Volkswagen Group companies. 🍺
I get what you're saying, but I'd really like to know the source for this article then:
"The initial plans called for Audi to build Scout models in a new US facility but were later scrapped.
~
Audi is already working with Magna to develop electric vehicle batteries for the Scout brand."

There are several things and thoughts that are troubling, based off what you've said previously.
  1. That Audi plans to build the Scout.
  2. That the US facility is scrapped.
  3. That Audi plans to build the Scout.
This would honestly prove all the nay-sayers and old-timers right, about everything they've been saying since the Scout Motors announcement.

I hate to say this, but IF this article is true, then I fear @Jamie@ScoutMotors and @Chris@ScoutMotors are just mouth pieces and are being let down by management. I really, honestly and truly hope this is not the case.

However I fear that only @Scott@ScoutMotors can assuage our anxiety at this point.

Reactions: J Alynn
There are several things and thoughts that are troubling, based off what you've said previously.

Ok, sorry, let's back up.

First and more importantly, I didn't mean to imply or say that Audi was building Scout. Not did I say the U.S. facility was scrapped or that Audi would build the Scout. All three of those things aren't true.

I don't like to publicly throw publications under the bus, but there are websites that write speculative articles all the time that are based on "things heard", "rumors", "insiders", "other website articles", etc., etc. The Electrek article pulls various, sometimes unclear, quotes and references to prior rumors to build this article. Let's start with Audi designer Marc Litche quote taken from an article in Autocar (a different publication):

"I think there is space [for a rugged SUV in Audi’s lineup]. There is potential because there are only two premium players, and I think there is space for a third one."

Two things immediately. One, no context to the question asked prior to this answer, and two, they filled in a vague quote by using brackets "[ ]" and entered their own text "[for a rugged SUV in Audi's lineup]" to the quote. Usually, this is done when the answer is something like, "I think there is space for one" where "one" has to be qualified. However, we don't know what the question was, so we don't know the context. I'm not saying this is intentionally misleading, but it's poorly done by either Electrek or Autocar. It is also abused quite a bit these days.

Either way, Marc Lichte is only saying, in his opinion, there could be room for a rugged Audi model someday. That confirms nothing concrete, but journalists run with these types of things all the time. I know, I used to be on that side of the fence. I was just a lot more careful to give the full context.

The next part of the Electrek article references another website that claimed Scout was looking to have Magna build Scouts in Canada. They even say in that other article that VW wouldn't comment but then gives this quote, "We are very pleased with the progress the Scout team is making and with the enthusiasm it’s already generating among current fans and future customers." Volkswagen didn't say that. We did. So they attributed the quote incorrectly in the article. We've said all along that we will build the Scout in America, and that's the plan. Stay tuned.

Then the Electrek article references an article that ran on the Autocar website, saying the original plan was for Audi to build Scouts. The article says:

"The initial plans called for Audi to build Scout models in a new US facility but were later scrapped. According to Autocar, the two brands may still benefit from each other."

First, this is poorly written as some of you have interpreted this as the Scout won't be built in America. What the article is referencing is another publication that wrote about a rumor that Audi was originally going to build the Scout, but that plan was scrapped. I don't know what original plan they are talking about, but the article is based on speculation and supposed "insider information". Audi isn't building Scouts and we are building them here in the U.S.

The Electrek article also talks about Magna building batteries. We haven't announced where we are getting our batteries from at this point. We shop around a variety of sources when it comes to batteries due to costs and potential availability. For instance, the VW ID4 sources batteries from two different companies. VW Group is ramping up production of its own in-house "prismatic" battery at its own new factories (one built so far in northern Europe with a second in Germany coming soon, plus at least four other locations around the world). VW Group has spun off the battery division, and they are calling it PowerCo. VW claims a 50% cost reduction savings by making them in-house (and up to 30% better range and less dependence on certain minerals). I would think ideally we'd like to use those new PowerCo cells, but we don't know this far out what availability will be, and we ideally need them built in America using North American minerals if possible as that would help us take full advantage of the Inflation Reduction Act. Battery pricing is also a commodity; while we need to lock in a certain volume, we want to do that closer to production. That's the long version of the battery sourcing, and it is ongoing. :D

Scout is a clean sheet of paper design. It is an all-new EV platform not currently used in the VW Group companies. It will utilize unique components made to Scout specifications. It will be built here in America. Honestly, so long as we do our best to honor the badge, heritage, and design, give it rugged credentials that will hang with the best of them, and offer compelling packages to appeal to a broad group of buyers, everything should be great.

Don't hold me to this, but right now, it looks like the factory location will be the next big thing to announce. We should also have our technical platform (all-wheel drive systems, motors, and chassis) to tell you about later this year. The concept introduction could get pushed out, but we'll know more soon. This is the difficult part of telling people what's coming and when. If the date has to move due to logistics, supplier issues, building delays, etc., etc. then everyone (including us!) is disappointed.

I didn't go into all this detail earlier because I didn't want to rip apart yet another speculative article. Chris and I will continue to do our best to keep all of you informed and clarify as much as we can talk about. This is probably the most challenging period for us to do that, as *so* many things are still being negotiated or shopped around to multiple suppliers and vendors. There are also going to be things that go our way and setbacks that we will have to come back here to tell you about. That's the nature of the business.

Sorry for the long post. Hope that helps. 🍺

I posted the article and started the thread with intention of hearing other members take. I am concerned about most of the same things mentioned above. I understand economies of scale. But I really hope that any touch points are original, authentic Scout. Batteries, motors, control systems fine. I really hope a staff member will clear up the question about where it’s built. That matters a lot for qualifying for tax credits (at least currently). Is this article incorrect?

I posted the article and started the thread with intention of hearing other members take. I am concerned about most of the same things mentioned above. I understand economies of scale. But I really hope that any touch points are original, authentic Scout. Batteries, motors, control systems fine. I really hope a staff member will clear up the question about where it’s built. That matters a lot for qualifying for tax credits (at least currently). Is this article incorrect?

Full stop, it will be built here in the United States.

I get what you're saying, but I'd really like to know the source for this article then:

This would honestly prove all the nay-sayers and old-timers right, about everything they've been saying since the Scout Motors announcement.

I hate to say this, but IF this article is true, then I fear @Jamie@ScoutMotors and @Chris@ScoutMotors are just mouth pieces and are being let down by management. I really, honestly and truly hope this is not the case.

However I fear that only @Scott@ScoutMotors can assuage our anxiety at this point.
I think it is too early to start a witch hunt.....but I think the thing to remember is that the scout will be the Scout III ( or whatever the name is going to be) and the Audi will be the Audi QR5 E-tron and qudi will likely change the front end, tail end and all of the interior.

There are another aspect to take into account. VW hq is fitting the bill for all of this, they are the primary investor in making the scout it's own company.....so while I didn't think it would happen so fast it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that VW group does what VW group does and copy it's vehicles across their line up.

The scout brand is going to be an all American off roader and the Audi version will be a big luxurious flex machine that will likely handle poorly off road with the street wheels and tires that Audi will put on it

I think it is too early to start a witch hunt.....but I think the thing to remember is that the scout will be the Scout III ( or whatever the name is going to be) and the Audi will be the Audi QR5 E-tron and qudi will likely change the front end, tail end and all of the interior.

There are another aspect to take into account. VW hq is fitting the bill for all of this, they are the primary investor in making the scout it's own company.....so while I didn't think it would happen so fast it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that VW group does what VW group does and copy it's vehicles across their line up.

The scout brand is going to be an all American off roader and the Audi version will be a big luxurious flex machine that will likely handle poorly off road with the street wheels and tires that Audi will put on it
That’s what’s so great about these skateboard EV platforms. It really can be almost anything built on top of the basic architecture.

I would offer that they have been doing a lot more than that. Every single body panel on the Q4 E-tron for example is different than the ID4. The interiors are also completely different. But like I said before, the Scout isn't utilizing any existing VW EV platform.

Plus the Scout chassis gives the flexibility to have a completely different body more so than the strict unibody platforms. Right now all of these articles are pure speculation on what may or may not happen. As a company we are just focused on bringing the Scout back.