The Ward's auto podcast discussion

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

61scout80

1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Crestwood, KY
After listing to the Ward's Auto podcast with Mr. Keogh I have a few thoughts.
Words on a screen often come across as significantly more aggressive than intended. I'm offering a mild critique. This is not an attack or castigation nor am I looking to censure anyone. Quite the opposite, I have a great appreciation for the open lines of communication and I commend Scout Motors for having an open forum for us to speak. It shows that you respect the history of the Scout, including the demise of IH when the execs stubbornly ignored their dealers, customers, and employees. I feel the concerns of those who love the classic Scouts are being heard. I also feel this board isn't just here for us to say 'atta boy' to everything and many folks have a reluctance to offer their dissenting opinions in a constructive manner. I'm not one of those guys.

I think it's important to avoid corporate jargon when interviewed about the Scout.

Corporate jargon has its time and place. If you're talking about the company as a whole on Morning Surveillance with Jon, Tom, and Lisa, throw it all out there. That's where you are talking to investors, the management of competitors, and other peers in the business world. They want to hear it. If you're talking to Audi buyers it'll work, they are probably in a lot of meetings throwing the jargon around themselves. Same with VW buyers; they are in the cubes calculating their path to becoming one of the Audi crowd.

I know Ward's is an industry news source and not geared toward the public. That's not going to matter until the Scout is widely available. A lot of people bought cars during the pandemic. The novelty is wearing off, but they still have 3 or 4 years until they are going to trade it in. That just happens to line up with the projected release date. Those people are daydreaming about what they want next. The ones looking for an off-roader are clamoring for anything that will enhance the daydream. They're paying more attention than many acknowledge, and they are looking for any morsel of info on the Scout. That includes industry publications and automotive news sites that summarize those sources.

To me, Jargon is off-putting when talking about the Scout. The Scout is freedom from that. The Scout takes me to where my cell phone has no service, which is the only place on earth where I can disconnect from office life. It's where I go to have some feeling of reconnecting with my blue-collar roots.
it takes me to places that are serene where I can clear my mind and feel refreshed when Monday rolls around.

My dad was a school bus driver, my grandfather a coal miner. When I sit in the Scout I want to relive the times I had with those men and feel like they are still right there with me. The last thing I want to think about is synergizing action items of paradigm shift and functionality while full stop unpacking pain points. I certainly don't want to hear the ever-present, severely demeaning verbal crutches of "Look" & "at the end of the day". I pride myself on being a consumer advocate and the polite dissenting voice in the office, I sure do hear those last two A LOT! 🤣

I'm not asking you to make a point of screaming "Raise hell, praise Dale!" every time the word Scout is heard. Just use the vernacular you would in the Scout with family or a close friend.

That's who all Scout owners are. We are your friends that become family or family that is also your best friend. We're the people that'll still hold a door for you, we'll stop and help a stranger with a flat, or rush over to help someone load something heavy in a parking lot. Let's preserve that very special heritage. Let's not allow Scout Motors to devolve into just another soulless bunch of numbers on a spreadsheet & culture swamped with office idioms. We're talking about the Scout here. It's different in every way. The Scout needs to be spoken of with a certain reverence like nothing else in the auto industry. That's simply because anything less is just a car.

now, about that removable roof....

Well said, and thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts. You echo a theme Chris and I (and Scott, our CEO) have heard many times, and we really hope to capture some of that in the new Scout.

My personal opinion working here is that our team is honestly very excited about what we are working on, and the feel is a bit more like a startup than a large corporate manufacturer. Personally, I made a decision to get involved in this because I really wanted to be part of it. People I interact with every day are genuinely excited to work on a project like this where we are not only working on something all-new that a wide variety of ages and walks of life will enjoy, but also has tremendous history and legacy. It isn't often you get a chance to bring an old brand back to life. In my experience, executives find themselves in a tough spot where anything and everything they say falls under a microscope and gets amplified, both good and bad. Over time, they tend to choose words very carefully, often with years of coaching ringing in their heads. Hopefully, many of you get a chance to meet Scott in person at some point.

Thanks for the feedback and trying to articulate what Scout means to you (and many others!). As always, we want to hear what people think. That's why this community exists. :D

As Jim Allen says - Scouting Ahead! 🍻

Well said, and thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts. You echo a theme Chris and I (and Scott, our CEO) have heard many times, and we really hope to capture some of that in the new Scout.

My personal opinion working here is that our team is honestly very excited about what we are working on, and the feel is a bit more like a startup than a large corporate manufacturer. Personally, I made a decision to get involved in this because I really wanted to be part of it. People I interact with every day are genuinely excited to work on a project like this where we are not only working on something all-new that a wide variety of ages and walks of life will enjoy, but also has tremendous history and legacy. It isn't often you get a chance to bring an old brand back to life. In my experience, executives find themselves in a tough spot where anything and everything they say falls under a microscope and gets amplified, both good and bad. Over time, they tend to choose words very carefully, often with years of coaching ringing in their heads. Hopefully, many of you get a chance to meet Scott in person at some point.

Thanks for the feedback and trying to articulate what Scout means to you (and many others!). As always, we want to hear what people think. That's why this community exists. :D

As Jim Allen says - Scouting Ahead! 🍻

I'm excited about what you guys are doing and the excitement really does come across to me!

I sent the podcast link to some friends of mine. People that pretty much exclusively buy Land Cruisers, Wranglers, 4runners, Broncos, and other capable 4x4s. They are excited that I'm excited about the Scout, but they don't feel a connection as I do.

Two gave me the same feedback. These are the type of guys that would refer to me as "the clean shirt crew" if we worked together, but they are potential buyers. Their phrasing was much less polite. They both formed the opinion that the Scout will be going after the Explorer, Pathfinder, Highlander, and other street-focused SUVs. One said, "Do they really think there's a need for another cute ute in an Otterbox case?" He mentioned how the Bronco Sport seems to be fading quickly. Googling the numbers looks like he's at least right about that one at least.

Hopefully I'm not being too idealistic and projecting my own optimism about the Scout onto the project. In my mind, it's coming back for a rematch against the Bronco and Jeep. I'd feel let down if it becomes just another crossover offered in 7 variations of gray that sits in the National aisle between a CRV and a Pathfinder.

I do feel like it's a petty thing to even bring up. If I didn't get strong negative feedback from my circles I would never have posted this. I agree everything is amplified, especially anything negative. It's why I started that post really driving home that it's a level 0 on a scale of 1-100. There gets to be a time when the right words for everyone are the same words that alienate your core group. The Wrangler and Bronco are not for everyone, nor will the Scout be for everyone, finding the balance of catering to them while inviting others in is going to be a monumental task.

I think the true buy-it-new customers for that segment are getting a little tired of a nerfed world. I think that's why they like that their off-roaders are a little course. They want to keep it nice, but if it gets some desert pinstriping it's even better. They aren't afraid to use it to its capacity, break it and upgrade it. I don't think my wife's JL had 15k on it before she insisted we haul it to the Rubicon so it can "earn that sticker on the hood". 10 years ago no one she worked with would have been interested. But now? Her photos from this trip inspired at least 2 coworkers to buy Rubicons.

20210807_113437.jpg

She likes being the girl with the gritty jeep in the doctor's lot at work. She doesn't seem alone either. She always ends up parking with quite a fleet. She becomes the go-to "jeep girl" when her co-workers are thinking about one, shortly after they talk to her there will be one more in their parking lot crew. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20230629-082446.png

In talking with those people I find the same trend. They want a little fighting spirit in the companies they support. They like that Amazon is sticking with Jeremy Clarkson, and Spotify with Joe Rogan while both of those guys routinely stir up controversy that would send other media outlets running with their tales tucked. I really think this segment's core buyers want to hear confidence from the brands they connect with. I think they want to hear how Ford took the design and leveraged their size over IH back then. But now it's round two and the number one car maker in the world is behind the Scout and looking for revenge. They want that over avoidance or polite compliments for sure.

I think we all want less soft language and more of this from Americans and American brands. I think we are all ready to see more of this again.

We hear you loud and clear. Not sure we can go full Ali/Frazier but...

I think the fact that we are building a body on ladder-frame truck speaks volumes on where our priorities are. This isn't a unibody skateboard platform. Offroad chops are a major priority for us. In due time we will be able to share our technical platform, but it will be capable beyond how it looks. That also isn't to say that it will be so rugged that you wouldn't want to take a long trip or that it will be priced like a Defender.

The overwhelming message we hear when talking with people over the last 8 months is that the Scout was a lot of different things to different people. We know we can't make everyone happy, but we think we can come close. Modern vehicles have the ability to be extremely capable offroad and still ride and handle remarkably well. And if you want more capability beyond what we build, you can modify it like many people do with Jeeps and Broncos. We anticipate a robust aftermarket for the new Scout.

To honor where we’ve come from.
To unlock the potential of what lies ahead.
To show our land the respect it deserves.
To lift up our communities and haul their heaviest burdens.
To lead the charge into the great unknown.
Scouts go first. Scouts go farther. Scouts always come back to lead the way.

We are carrying on that everlasting spirit.
We are Scout Motors.
We are not messing around.