Scout and Audi share platform?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Jamie
Thank you for spending your time today and this evening to provide us with accurate info and spare us from this thread becoming 20 pages of us venting and speculating. Perhaps as we stumble on these articles moving forward we should just post it and ask you to clarify before we start making assumptions-myself included.
Transparency is refreshing for a business venture this size and that alone continues to keep me excited for the next round of new information. Thanks again

I am not a rabble rouser and certainly did not mean to incite anger or make anyone upset. I’m sure there will be many more speculative articles written prior to launch and this is the perfect place to discuss them. We had a lively discussion and Jamie shot down one false speculation immediately. I think that’s how this whole thing should work. In fact I look at it as great for Scout and the Scout community to have an opportunity like this. Scout can gauge reactions of its most interested and /or loyal customers and we can hear directly from Scout on topics they are at liberty to answer.

I am not a rabble rouser and certainly did not mean to incite anger or make anyone upset. I’m sure there will be many more speculative articles written prior to launch and this is the perfect place to discuss them. We had a lively discussion and Jamie shot down one false speculation immediately. I think that’s how this whole thing should work. In fact I look at it as great for Scout and the Scout community to have an opportunity like this. Scout can gauge reactions of its most interested and /or loyal customers and we can hear directly from Scout on topics they are at liberty to answer.
Well said

No worries. I didn’t think anyone was stirring the pot. I reread the whole topic and see where things got confusing/ambiguous. Sometimes the better answer is the shorter one. 😁

We always want everyone to feel free to ask about these things. Sometimes we may have to give PR type answers when things are still in the air or haven’t been announced yet. But we will do our best to be transparent. 🍺

And Jamie, man, I wasn't trying to like, be an a-hole. I promise.

I appreciate everything you and Chris are doing, obviously. This tab and forum are open all day for me. I love it.

And the above quote is all I really needed to read man. Mahalo nui loa.
Ha, no worries, my skin is way thicker than that. I was just trying to figure out where the train came off the tracks. 🧉

Feel free to move this if we are indeed getting an “articles” section.
I’ll avoid starting/continuing a thread of What-ifs until @Jamie@ScoutMotors chimes in but seems odd to create direct competition between two VWG companies especially if both are made in US. I guess if it is visually different enough maybe but who wants another vanilla box when you could have Scout character with probably the majority of shared bin components?

I’ll avoid starting/continuing a thread of What-ifs until @Jamie@ScoutMotors chimes in but seems odd to create direct competition between two VWG companies especially if both are made in US. I guess if it is visually different enough maybe but who wants another vanilla box when you could have Scout character with probably the majority of shared bin components?

Nothing official has been announced, but the article quotes VW execs:

Should a pickup truck be approved it would be developed in America for America. Di Si noted that cars built in America for America are more successful as shown by the Atlas crossover SUV, which was designed and developed in America, and is built in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

VW's potential pickup would leverage current platforms in the automaker's portfolio, and would be electrified. Expect it to be a unibody vehicle, likely based on the Atlas' platform.

The Atlas, which was introduced for the 2018 model year and refreshed for 2021, will debut an updated look for 2024 at the 2023 Chicago Auto Show. A next-generation Atlas could be years away.

Volkswagen's North American Chief Sales and Marketing Officer Andrew Savvas told Motor Authority the next-generation Atlas could be electrified. Di Si noted that it could have a hybrid or plug-in hybrid powertrain, but a plug-in hybrid model makes more of an impact. "It's not strategically wise to go into multiple directions for hybrids," Di Si said.

Any future plug-in hybrid pickup truck or Atlas would not only need to be built in America, but also have its battery pack's minerals and cells be sourced domestically to qualify for the recent Inflation Reduction Act incentives. If VW does that, however, its battery provider would qualify for up to $45 per kilowatt-hour of battery manufacturing incentives under a different part of the IRA. That could make an Atlas-based PHEV pickup considerably cheaper than any competitor without a plug.

This is a pickup truck concept they showed back in 2018 based on the Atlas/Tiguan/Jetta/Golf platform:

Screenshot-2023-02-09.jpg

The exec's quoted above are talking about a unibody truck based on the Atlas. That said, the current Atlas platform is the MQB transverse platform and any BEV would be a next-generation MEB platform if it's going to be unibody. None of this is based on the new Scout platform. And, in addition it is all talking in hypotheticals. In the 20 years plus that I've been dealing with Volkswagen here in the States, the topic of a pickup truck has come up at least a dozen times over the years.

Would a VW be a mid-size pickup truck somewhere between Atlas and Rivian size?

Would a VW be a more compact Ranger-size pickup truck?

Would a VW be a rugged pickup or a more traditional setup?

Who knows right now. They haven't announced anything at this point.

As I mentioned above, there is always the *possibility* that the Scout-specific component architecture could be repurposed for another VWAG brand - the company has clearly done that in the past. However, nothing specific or official has been said about that possibility. Personally, I'm not worried about it at all. Scout will stand on its own clear branding, identity, and heritage.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Yep. Just posted as information and hoping to hear what the staff have to add. Not stirring the pot.🙂

Yep. Just posted as information and hoping to hear what the staff have to add. Not stirring the pot.🙂
All things considered I’ve always liked this concept pick up. I remember seeing it and thinking it looked unique and design was appealing. Seems diesel-gate had happened a few years before that if my memory serves me so at the time I became anti-VW. Hate’n on big corporate greed and that nonsense 😀. Then bought an Audi TT in 2019 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
All things considered I’ve always liked this concept pick up. I remember seeing it and thinking it looked unique and design was appealing. Seems diesel-gate had happened a few years before that if my memory serves me so at the time I became anti-VW. Hate’n on big corporate greed and that nonsense 😀. Then bought an Audi TT in 2019 😂
🤣

There were reports in the last few weeks that GM took some journalists to their design studios and one of the concepts was an off-road EV. Nothing official though.

I like Electrek’s quote:

Volkswagen is expected to reveal Scout-brand EVs, but that still leaves room for an electric 4×4 as interest in off-road capabilities continues building.

Looks like I need to reach out to Peter and let him know we plan to do electric 4x4s. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: J Alynn

Stumbled on this design concept someone posted in 2022. Not sure if admins or other folks on here have seen this before. There are a couple ideas that were pretty interesting. As for the general design I’ll be nice and hold my feedback to myself. It definitely screamed 80’s

Stumbled on this design concept someone posted in 2022. Not sure if admins or other folks on here have seen this before. There are a couple ideas that were pretty interesting. As for the general design I’ll be nice and hold my feedback to myself. It definitely screamed 80’s
Reminds me of the Isuzu Amigo.

isuzu-amigo-05.jpg

Jason is a good guy. Definitely riffing on the SS1 with evolution.

Interesting article from today:

Thanks for posting. Always glad to hear the media’s take. Time for Jamie to start a new thread folder for published media articles.

Rumor mill is starting Jamie😀.

I heard from a friend whose second cousin twice removed has a 5,000 acre farm in east Bumble$&;@$ that Scout is building a plant with Pontiac AND Saturn (BOTH) are being revived and they are starting up a new EV line of station wagons and shag vans and Saturn wants to fund the facility for all three….
Just kidding-but glad more news is out saying it will be in the U.S.

• Haha
Reactions: Harris005