New Old Blends

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Eswanson

1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
I want to suggest a blending option.

What would it take to offer some manual style features while making a great EV Scout?

1) Rear tailgate like the 800 with mechanical bar for opening
2) Wingwindows - I know I'm likely dreaming here but dang are those iconic and I still love mine.
3) Front Grill - What can you do to help the EV while keeping that grill face? Can you?
4) Locking Hubs - I don't care if it just looks like it...
5) Mirrors, I know EV's save milage with all the aero they can get, but what is possible?
6) Gauges - Oh my goodness, you could do some cool stuff here. Look at what aviation is doing now with planes like the Cessna 172. Iconic panel but new round gauges that are the right size, look and digital but not annoying... Get a true old feel but modern tech and you win.

Don't Blends
1) full flat windshields, a curve helps in a ton of ways just so long as it's not a huge curve
2) non-existant backup lighting (I know it's there but come on)
3) So rugged that it has no insulations - it's cold in there in the winter
4) manual windows - I wish I still wanted them but I don't.

I know this is almost all cosmetic but I bet this will define more EV's than we want to admit.

What would it take to offer some manual style features while making a great EV Scout?

2) Wingwindows - I know I'm likely dreaming here but dang are those iconic and I still love mine.
3) Front Grill - What can you do to help the EV while keeping that grill face? Can you?
5) Mirrors, I know EV's save milage with all the aero they can get, but what is possible?
6) Gauges - Oh my goodness, you could do some cool stuff here. Look at what aviation is doing now with planes like the Cessna 172. Iconic panel but new round gauges that are the right size, look and digital but not annoying... Get a true old feel but modern tech and you win.

Don't Blends
1) full flat windshields, a curve helps in a ton of ways just so long as it's not a huge curve

I know this is almost all cosmetic but I bet this will define more EV's than we want to admit.
@Eswanson
Take a look through the initial design ideas thread. A lot of what you stated above has been discussed to certain degrees already. You will see several items for sure. Ironically I also want to see the A-pillar wing windows -iconic and useful
Long discussion on a grill opening that allows several OEM aftermarket replacements to fit the look/gen various people are fond of.
Have a good one

@Eswanson
Take a look through the initial design ideas thread. A lot of what you stated above has been discussed to certain degrees already. You will see several items for sure. Ironically I also want to see the A-pillar wing windows -iconic and useful
Long discussion on a grill opening that allows several OEM aftermarket replacements to fit the look/gen various people are fond of.
Have a good one
Thanks man, I am a pastor full time so I got a lot into this page until the Christmas crunch got me and I'm catching up... maybe a I got too excited

Reactions: J Alynn
Thanks man, I am a pastor full time so I got a lot into this page until the Christmas crunch got me and I'm catching up... maybe a I got too excited
I think most of us on here are very excited so you fit right in. Just figured you might want to see a lot of the feedback already posted that were hitting some of your thoughts.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT

Don't Blends

If you make wing windows an option, can you make them the same shape and size as the Scout II? The replacement rubber for those is nonexistent. You would probably sell out of them pretty quick :ROFLMAO: Heck if you could make new LED parking and tail lights that screw right in that would be cool too! Oh, and windshield frames....ok, I'll stop 😜

No such thing as being too excited! We love the enthusiasm and getting lists like these. Some of these have definitely been mentioned, but always happy to see them brought up again, just reinforces some of the stronger feelings and points to hit.

The Tailgate and grille are two things that we're looking heavily into on the design and functionality fronts (along with pretty much everything else), but know these are two heavily defining features on the Scout and want to make sure they're dialed in.

I'll bring the wing windows back to the team, although no promises on that front. Most modern-day vehicles don't have them and don't have much reason to as vehicle ventilation has gotten much better in modern days. As cool as they are, and while they're great from a nostalgic standpoint, they'd also reduce the front window size and opening, and we're working for a

The cars will definitely have mirrors, so no worries on that front ;).

Do you have some reference photos of the gauges? I'm a fan of modernized retro gauges, so could be cool to see what you had in mind and bring that back.

For the "don't' blend" category: The new Scouts aren't planned to have manual windows, they'll be electric, so you're good on that front. As for insulation, we're designing the cars to be tough and rugged, and capable on trails, for hauling, towing, etc., but also daily drivable and comfortable in harsher conditions, whether that be intense cold or hot conditions. On the backup lighting front, generally, vehicles include backup lighting as an assist feature, and you can expect these will have some sort of lighting in that situation as well.

And for the windshield, we're working on designing in a way that the vehicle still holds that upright and forward feel that the Scout has, while still retaining aerodynamic properties and minimizing things like frequent chips and such that come with more upright windshields. Know some members have mentioned how the more upright the windshield becomes, the more they've seen chips and cracks, and I've seen that on my own vehicles as well.

I'll be blasting out monthly reports to the team, so will definitely include all of these in there.

Miss something here Chris? lol
Hah!

Indeed, my brain must've been moving faster than my hands on the keyboard here ;)

Meant to say that we're working on the most open feel that we can with the car, and not having the wing windows allows for larger front windows as a whole, and larger openings and more of an open feel with the full window down.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Hah!

Indeed, my brain must've been moving faster than my hands on the keyboard here ;)

Meant to say that we're working on the most open feel that we can with the car, and not having the wing windows allows for larger front windows as a whole, and larger openings and more of an open feel with the full window down.
Oh shit. It's a *dry heave* car?

Attachments

• download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 6
Miss something here Chris? l
No such thing as being too excited! We love the enthusiasm and getting lists like these. Some of these have definitely been mentioned, but always happy to see them brought up again, just reinforces some of the stronger feelings and points to hit.

The Tailgate and grille are two things that we're looking heavily into on the design and functionality fronts (along with pretty much everything else), but know these are two heavily defining features on the Scout and want to make sure they're dialed in.

I'll bring the wing windows back to the team, although no promises on that front. Most modern-day vehicles don't have them and don't have much reason to as vehicle ventilation has gotten much better in modern days. As cool as they are, and while they're great from a nostalgic standpoint, they'd also reduce the front window size and opening, and we're working for a

The cars will definitely have mirrors, so no worries on that front ;).

Do you have some reference photos of the gauges? I'm a fan of modernized retro gauges, so could be cool to see what you had in mind and bring that back.

For the "don't' blend" category: The new Scouts aren't planned to have manual windows, they'll be electric, so you're good on that front. As for insulation, we're designing the cars to be tough and rugged, and capable on trails, for hauling, towing, etc., but also daily drivable and comfortable in harsher conditions, whether that be intense cold or hot conditions. On the backup lighting front, generally, vehicles include backup lighting as an assist feature, and you can expect these will have some sort of lighting in that situation as well.

And for the windshield, we're working on designing in a way that the vehicle still holds that upright and forward feel that the Scout has, while still retaining aerodynamic properties and minimizing things like frequent chips and such that come with more upright windshields. Know some members have mentioned how the more upright the windshield becomes, the more they've seen chips and cracks, and I've seen that on my own vehicles as well.

I'll be blasting out monthly reports to the team, so will definitely include all of these in there.
i wanted to follow up, I finally had a second to pull some screens to help show what I was talking about with the gauges.
The original is iconic but limited functionality. The one with what appears to be two tablets is very far away. The one with a tablet screen also have digital round gauges that have selectable screens and is a good in between. I don’t have a car comparison but if the modern Scout can blend instead of stand outside the more iconic look of the 80/800’s it could be huge.

Attachments

• 6A986733-9217-4943-B5FF-8D2CB0668D3A.jpeg
    6A986733-9217-4943-B5FF-8D2CB0668D3A.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 3
  • 1C8E7050-D9D8-4E3D-9699-6F9CD15B92CE.jpeg
    1C8E7050-D9D8-4E3D-9699-6F9CD15B92CE.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 3
  • 7E9A0950-6F0B-4F01-BDEF-C7327F8DCF44.jpeg
    7E9A0950-6F0B-4F01-BDEF-C7327F8DCF44.jpeg
    981.1 KB · Views: 3
Since we’re talking about windows and other things…have any of you seen the California mode on the Fisker Ocean? Basically every piece of glass except the windshield rolls down. I personally would use that more than a soft top or removable top. Before I’m roasted for that comment, I am not saying Scout should not offer soft or removable tops!🙂
1675001544396.jpeg

Since we’re talking about windows and other things…have any of you seen the California mode on the Fisker Ocean? Basically every piece of glass except the windshield rolls down. I personally would use that more than a soft top or removable top. Before I’m roasted for that comment, I am not saying Scout should not offer soft or removable tops!🙂
View attachment 713
That’s very cool. I think with the moon roof I’d probably use that more as well and still have the hardtop look

View attachment 713
Jeep has something similar to this, the Sky One Touch. While it's fabric, my wife and I are not fans. Even though the top rolls back, it just feels... closed still.

I'm much more intrigued by the clear hard panels by Clearlidz.

Jeep has something similar to this, the Sky One Touch. While it's fabric, my wife and I are not fans. Even though the top rolls back, it just feels... closed still.

I'm much more intrigued by the clear hard panels by Clearlidz.
That’s cool too. I think if the direction is all windows fully down (-though not sure how that works with a tailgate/split rear), I want the front wing windows added in that scenario. Talked to a number of people this weekend at a tournament and laughed because the three items most discussed and remembered liking were the wing windows, footwell vent to engine compartment and the high beams floor/foot button. Funny what sticks with so many of us that had Scouts. I turned three people on to this new project so I think this group is really going to grow if the design approach is done right.