Battery pack idea

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Rustic_father

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Dec 12, 2022
Virginia
I have been reading a lot about newer battery technology that is possible. One idea that has floated around is sodium-ion batteries. Sodium is very similar to Lithium on the periodic table. The main trade off is that it is much more stable but at a cost of capacity. My suggestion is that if possible Scout could offer 2 battery pack options. Short range and long range. The short range would be Sodium and long range would be Lithium. Both batteries would be the same size in regards to size and number of cells, the main difference would be the resulting capacity. If this is possible it would make battery management simpler because it would manage the same number of cells within the pack and it would also make weight distribution the same between the two different options instead of "half-filling" one battery pack.

The main benifits is that sodium is far cheaper so it could make a short-range version very affordable.

I know this is not really related to the spirit of the scout but i figured that if we can suggest anything i just wanted to toss this out there.

I have been reading a lot about newer battery technology that is possible. One idea that has floated around is sodium-ion batteries. Sodium is very similar to Lithium on the periodic table. The main trade off is that it is much more stable but at a cost of capacity. My suggestion is that if possible Scout could offer 2 battery pack options. Short range and long range. The short range would be Sodium and long range would be Lithium. Both batteries would be the same size in regards to size and number of cells, the main difference would be the resulting capacity. If this is possible it would make battery management simpler because it would manage the same number of cells within the pack and it would also make weight distribution the same between the two different options instead of "half-filling" one battery pack.

The main benifits is that sodium is far cheaper so it could make a short-range version very affordable.

I know this is not really related to the spirit of the scout but i figured that if we can suggest anything i just wanted to toss this out there.

Overall Volkswagen Group has committed to building at least six new battery production facilities utilizing their newer prismatic cells. As new technology comes into play, I'm sure you will see everyone move rapidly to adopt it as nearly everyone wants more range, smaller packaging, lighter weight, more power and cheaper costs. There is more money being spent on battery research right now than ever before. There is no doubt that things will improve quite a bit over the next 10 years.

Overall Volkswagen Group has committed to building at least six new battery production facilities utilizing their newer prismatic cells. As new technology comes into play, I'm sure you will see everyone move rapidly to adopt it as nearly everyone wants more range, smaller packaging, lighter weight, more power and cheaper costs. There is more money being spent on battery research right now than ever before. There is no doubt that things will improve quite a bit over the next 10 years.
Knowing that batteries will only continue to improve over time, are there internal discussions to build the new vehicles in such a manner to retrofit battery packs developed 10-12 years from now into the first new generation of Scouts?